Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus route 38 route - changed?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Bazzer2

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    Drivers should complete the journey. Customers do not care about driver shifts as they just want to go home. Jokeshop.

You want bus drivers to break the law and risk their licence by working through their break just so you can have a few extra minutes of comfort. Get into the real world, mate.

In order to maximise efficiency, Dublin Bus try to keep buses running in service for as long as possible without having drivers go back and forth Out Of Service to garages all the time. This involves driver changes. Obviously, something was amiss on your journey and maybe your driver wasn't told that the relief driver wasn't available.

It doesn't happen often, but when it does, I agree it is annoying. But crap happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Not for the first time was left waiting for 15 minutes for another driver this evening on a 39a with its engine running!

Drivers should complete the journey. Customers do not care about driver shifts as they just want to go home. Jokeshop.

One step forward with the new screens and two steps back with this nonsense.

They surely do,I had a great little drama unfold earlier this week when a gent gave out blue-murder to a guitar weilding dude who was rootin and fumblin for change and when he finally found it,let it fall on the floor.....cue "FF SAKE-Could you not have your money READY,you've been standing with the rest of us for the past ten minutes !!!"....I think it was the Guitar that set him off as he couldnt get past our fumbling troubadour....

All I could do was hum a little ditty and drum my fingers on the dashboard....:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

However returning to the OP's complaint...Get hold of Pen & Paper and WRITE to the Customer Comment Dept at 59 O Connell St OR to the Executive in Charge of Network Direct at the same address.

Most posters on Boards are pointing to significant and increasing problems with new Network Directed schedules most of which revolve around running time,or the lack of.

Ignore the monkeys and get working on the Organ Grinder who actually is in charge of your problem.?:)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Service is starting to get a bit ropey in the mornings, two weeks running theres been a day when the 08.36 38B from Mulhuddart to town hasn't turned up.

Theres only 6 buses a day on the route Dublin Bus, the least you could do is make sure they all bloody run, especially the last one.

And obviously the slow 38 bus turns up as scheduled 10 minutes later, no-one in the control office with the cop-on to send it down as a replacement for the more important 38B which 50/60 people in Castlecurragh/Corduff/Waterville are waiting on.
    lxflyer wrote: »

Sounds like a breakdown to me, given all those buses work out from town.

Are the people waiting for the 38 on Auburn Avenue not important? That's their only bus! If you cancel the 38 even more people are put out.

You and Alek talk about 'regulation' a lot, whereby when something goes wrong attempting to come up with the best possible solution on the fly, to help the most people or inconvenience the least people.

I think in this case the wrong decision was made. You say that 'even more' people would be put out if that 38 had become a 38B. This isn't true. Quite simply there are more people getting the 8.36am 38B than the 8.46am 38. And those people waiting for the 38B had a multiple delay - 10 minutes extra until they got on a bus, and then the journey time was 25 minutes extra because the 38, as you know, goes through Blanch village and Castleknock village, both traffic blackspots at 9am. So instead of getting into O'Connell Street for ~9.25, it was 10.00am that morning getting into town via the 38.

The handful of people I know in Auburn Avenue don't use the 38 in the mornings, they cross the N3 to the first busstop and take their pick of 38/38B/39/39A and 70, whichever arrives first. And whilst not everyone can do that I don't think enough demand exists on that Auburn Ave stretch that the 38B needed to be the cancelled bus that morning - cancelling the 38 and running the 38B would have been the more logical choice.

There seems to be a misapprehension in DBHQ that the 38 and 38A are an acceptable commute for the people of Casltecurragh, Wellview, Waterville and Corduff who are working in the City Centre. Its not true, the 38B is the only game in town as the alternatives, because of the route they take, are just too unreliable unless you have a 'turn up anytime job'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭meanmachine3

Not for the first time was left waiting for 15 minutes for another driver this evening on a 39a with its engine running!

This also happens on the 37 and 38.

And yes I have emailed Dublin Bus and have had no success.

One step forward with the new screens and two steps back with this nonsense.

it's not my fault that i'm such a great driver shoveller who cares about getting my fare paying passengers to their destination as quickly and as safely as possible :D. the line your asking for to be drawn between buses being virtually on time to the minute and buses running late then going out of service is almost impossible.
    over the last number of years we have seen alot of threads about buses running out of service / not showing up / running late to the odd moan like this one that we are now making to much time. there used to a particular inspector that held up alot of 123's outside easons because they were ahead of schedule. i'd be careful what you wish for shoveller because this is what alot of routes will be going to be enduring. you say you were waiting 15 mins for another driver to show up. let me give you an example of what lies ahead.
    driver you'll 15 mins ahead of schedule when you arrive into town, please wait in blanchardstown shopping centre for 5 minutes, when you reach navan road parkway train station please wait 5 more minutes. when you reach navan road garda station have another 5 minutes. then if you get to bachelors walk early wait until your allocated time, and this is all during normal hours. by christ wait until the schools are off, builders on holidays, public holidays ( not bank as theres a full mon-fri service during public holidays). ohhhh jasus i cant bear the thoughts of lying around different areas because shoveller is getting in to town to early.
    seeing whats ahead of me typing this scares the crap outta me thinking of all the abuse we'll be getting just waiting,waiting and guess what more waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,584 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Well if the 0846 38 becomes a 38b that means no route 38 from 0826 to 0916 - that's a 50 minute gap in service which is a hell of a gap for that route.

I said even more people in the sense that not only are the people in Corduff etc. waiting for the 38b put out but now additional people in Castleknock are put out too if you cancel that bus. Maybe there are people on the 38 going to Blanchardstown or Castleknock from before Waterville? I don't know, but they would be put out too!

You can't win in that situation if (and I am surmising here) the bus broke down. You will never please everyone.

• Advertisement

there used to a particular inspector that held up alot of 123's outside easons because they were ahead of schedule.

Was that the small guy with a beard?
    If so I used to always like him, he had masterful control of organising the various buses along that stretch, getting people to queue properly to maximise speed of getting on the bus, telling cars to move off when they tried to do a bit of quick parking outside Easons. Did he retire or change location?

If so I used to always like him, he had masterful control of organising the various buses along that stretch, getting people to queue properly to maximise speed of getting on the bus, telling cars to move off when they tried to do a bit of quick parking outside Easons. Did he retire or change location?

yep that was squeaky armani, last i heard he was up in heuston. that was only a couple of weeks ago. he's definitely a character and a half alright armani. all the oul ones used to love him. mind you there was the odd one that went for him with an umbrella.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭richard2010

He used to regulate the 46A's on D'Olier Street in the morning. Nice guy but would talk the hind legs off a donkey to the driver before he sent the bus on its merry way!

yep that was squeaky armani, last i heard he was up in heuston. that was only a couple of weeks ago. he's definitely a character and a half alright armani. all the oul ones used to love him. mind you there was the odd one that went for him with an umbrella.

Lol, such an inoffensive guy to be attacked by an umbrella-armed oul wan.
    Any good reason?
    He used to regulate the 46A's on D'Olier Street in the morning. Nice guy but would talk the hind legs off a donkey to the driver before he sent the bus on its merry way!

I'd forgotten he used to do D'Olier in the morning as well, I remember now getting on a 92 there instead of a 46A purely because I knew he'd always start chewing the cud with the 46A drivers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭SandyfordGuy

Didn't like that guy at all unfortunately, when I used to get the 46A a couple of years ago he frequently would hold the bus up at D'Olier Street for up to 10 minutes even when the bus has left Mountjoy Square on time and on several occasions said the bus would not leave until more people were on it. He didn't like people traveling for only a few stops either and is not short of a few words about how proud he is to work for a great company such as CIE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Bazzer2 wrote: »
    You want bus drivers to break the law and risk their licence by working through their break just so you can have a few extra minutes of comfort. Get into the real world, mate.

In order to maximise efficiency, Dublin Bus try to keep buses running in service for as long as possible without having drivers go back and forth Out Of Service to garages all the time. This involves driver changes. Obviously, something was amiss on your journey and maybe your driver wasn't told that the relief driver wasn't available.

It doesn't happen often, but when it does, I agree it is annoying. But crap happens.

Is it breaking the law to complete the journey they started? One thing for sure is that Dublin Bus have never been in the real world "mate".

Nobody minds if it is simply human error but this happens very frequently. In some cases the driver shuts off the engine and herds people off the bus on College Green. Relief driver? You would swear the original driver had driven through the Sahara.
    it's not my fault that i'm such a great driver shoveller who cares about getting my fare paying passengers to their destination as quickly and as safely as possible :D. the line your asking for to be drawn between buses being virtually on time to the minute and buses running late then going out of service is almost impossible.
    over the last number of years we have seen alot of threads about buses running out of service / not showing up / running late to the odd moan like this one that we are now making to much time. there used to a particular inspector that held up alot of 123's outside easons because they were ahead of schedule. i'd be careful what you wish for shoveller because this is what alot of routes will be going to be enduring. you say you were waiting 15 mins for another driver to show up. let me give you an example of what lies ahead.
    driver you'll 15 mins ahead of schedule when you arrive into town, please wait in blanchardstown shopping centre for 5 minutes, when you reach navan road parkway train station please wait 5 more minutes. when you reach navan road garda station have another 5 minutes. then if you get to bachelors walk early wait until your allocated time, and this is all during normal hours. by christ wait until the schools are off, builders on holidays, public holidays ( not bank as theres a full mon-fri service during public holidays). ohhhh jasus i cant bear the thoughts of lying around different areas because shoveller is getting in to town to early.
    seeing whats ahead of me typing this scares the crap outta me thinking of all the abuse we'll be getting just waiting,waiting and guess what more waiting.

Claptrap. Either complete the journey or explain to the passengers where the "relief" driver is.

As I have pointed out before, by driving like that you are not actually helping passengers. You are creating gaps in the service and causing people a long wait if there is a driver change due at a certain time along the route.

Far better to drive at a slower pace thereby maintaining even headways between buses along the route rather than driving like the clappers and forcing people to sit waiting for the driver change at College Street.

Is it breaking the law to complete the journey they started? One thing for sure is that Dublin Bus have never been in the real world "mate".

Nobody minds if it is simply human error but this happens very frequently. In some cases the driver shuts off the engine and herds people off the bus on College Green. Relief driver? You would swear the original driver had driven through the Sahara.

Claptrap. Either complete the journey or explain to the passengers where the "relief" driver is.

What has clearly happened is that the first driver has arrived early at the driver change location (College Street). To be honest this is a tough one. When the original rosters came in buses were arriving late for driver changes due to the running time being too tight, and as a result buses were being curtailed to College Street rather than operating to Baggot Street.

Now with the new rosters you are having buses on occasion arriving early, either through drivers driving faster than normal and as such arriving early or there being very little traffic en route, or the running time being too generous.

The bus drivers are rostered to change there and that is why they do not complete the journey to Baggot Street. There are very specific laws regarding the working hours of drivers and hence they have to stick to the rosters.

Personally I am beginning to think more and more that proper working timetables for all of the routes is the only way to go, with full timings along the route and that bus drivers stick to those times. You would have to have locations where it was safe to wait, but this would show the times the bus is due at various points and then people would know what time the bus was due to arrive wherever they are going and plan accordingly by arrival time rather than departure time.

I realise that on school holidays and church holidays this would mean buses taking the same amount of time as on other days but it would give some certainty to the bus service rather than having people upset by this sort of thing.

I also realise that something like this cannot be implemented until the running time issues on all of the routes have been addressed and a reliable service can be delivered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Bazzer2

Hmm, quite an angry little person. Let me explain further in simple terms.

Professional drivers are governed by laws set down by the EU. One law covers the amount of driving time a driver can work before being compelled to take a break. A driver who works over the stated hours can become fatigued and hence become a risk to passengers and other road users.

That's the law. Ignoring it is to break it. Get it?

Also, a relief driver relieves the first driver, therefore that driver is called a relief driver. Get it, mate?

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭SandyfordGuy

There is also a law about the maximum hours worked as well, not just without a break.

Personally I am beginning to think more and more that proper working timetables for all of the routes is the only way to go, with full timings along the route and that bus drivers stick to those times. You would have to have locations where it was safe to wait, but this would show the times the bus is due at various points and then people would know what time the bus was due to arrive wherever they are going and plan accordingly by arrival time rather than departure time.

I realise that on school holidays and church holidays this would mean buses taking the same amount of time as on other days but it would give some certainty to the bus service rather than having people upset by this sort of thing.

This would destroy the rare Carlsberg Bus - you know the one you get home usually around 8.30pm after rush-hour has ended, which manages to nail every traffic light perfectly and by some fluke of timing has no-one waiting for it at any stop, effectively turning it into a personal taxi for those who got on at the terminus. :)

This would destroy the rare Carlsberg Bus - you know the one you get home usually around 8.30pm after rush-hour has ended, which manages to nail every traffic light perfectly and by some fluke of timing has no-one waiting for it at any stop, effectively turning it into a personal taxi for those who got on at the terminus. :)

Well at the end of the day people cannot have it both ways.

With AVLC time data it should be possible to implement such a regime in time which would produce realistic timetables. It would also impose discipline on drivers to drive to the timetable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Happens nearly every other time I'm on the 37. Why on earth is there a driver change in the middle of the route.

BostonB wrote: »
    Happens nearly every other time I'm on the 37. Why on earth is there a driver change in the middle of the route.

Because there are no facilities for the driver to break at either terminus. Driver breaks either take place in the city centre (the canteen is behind Clerys) or in the depots - a couple of exceptions are Bray, Skerries and Dun Laoghaire stations where there are facilities for them to do so.

It is the most efficient way of running the bus service - otherwise you end up with lots of dead running to/from depots.

Why do they need a canteen at the end of the route. Could they not strike a deal with some of the cafe's, shops, hotels at the Baggot Street end. Having to make a bus load of people wait seems ridiculous. Surely some form of communication to say when the bus is due at the driver pickup, is possible in 2011.

Well remember that the driver picking up the bus is subject to the same working restrictions as the one that is on the bus already.

Legally they both have to take their full breaks.

You're suggesting the second driver should give up part of his break because the first driver has arrived early, something he cannot legally do.

I'm saying that the first driver should drive in such a manner to arrive on time at the changeover point rather than (as meanmachine suggests) drive as quickly as possible and cause everyone going beyond College Street to have a 15 minute wait (as the OP suggests).

Having said all that I don't necessarily think that doing a deal with a cafe in the Baggot Street area is a bad idea at all for the routes that terminate there.

• Advertisement

I wonder does this happen in Germany. The buses stop for 5 to 15 mins in the middle of the route, on a busy main street in peak traffic for a driver change. I'd doubt it.

In Germany the buses have individual stop timetables and buses wait at each stop until that time.

If they arrive early they wait.

That would make more sense.

Which is what I advocated in post #133 above.

To do it you need to be very sure of running times, something the AVLC data will provide over time.

It would of course mean that at slack traffic periods, such as mid-term breaks buses would be still waiting at stops all along the route.

You're suggesting the second driver should give up part of his break because the first driver has arrived early, something he cannot legally do.
    Lx there is a gentlemans agreement where by most of us tend to give about 10 mins either side. what i mean by this is if i get into town 10 mins early and my relief driver is there, i'll give 10 mins to the next driver i pick up from and thats the way it's supposed to work. but like any walk of life we also have selfish gits who only want to take and not give anything in return.we have a saying to those like that " you'll take the 10 mins but wont give it with a few others words added which are not for the kids ;). as i said it's only a gentlemans agreement it's not compulsory.
    I'm saying that the first driver should drive in such a manner to arrive on time at the changeover point rather than (as meanmachine suggests) drive as quickly as possible and cause everyone going beyond College Street to have a 15 minute wait (as the OP suggests).
    under no circumstances can we be told to speed up to make up lost time, but heres my point to your above quote Lx, i have on occasion got messages over the A.V.L. to slow down and to keep within 5 mins max of my time.
    sometimes it feels like a bus is literally crawling and thats because the driver is trying to get into town bang on their time.

Lx there is a gentlemans agreement where by most of us tend to give about 10 mins either side. what i mean by this is if i get into town 10 mins early and my relief driver is there, i'll give 10 mins to the next driver i pick up from and thats the way it's supposed to work. but like any walk of life we also have selfish gits who only want to take and not give anything in return.we have a saying to those like that " you'll take the 10 mins but wont give it with a few others words added which are not for the kids ;). as i said it's only a gentlemans agreement it's not compulsory.
    under no circumstances can we be told to speed up to make up lost time, but heres my point to your above quote Lx, i have on occasion got messages over the A.V.L. to slow down and to keep within 5 mins max of my time.
    sometimes it feels like a bus is literally crawling and thats because the driver is trying to get into town bang on their time.

I understand all of that but frankly the culture within DB needs to change to delivering a predictable reliable service rather than driving quickly to get to the terminus/handover point as fast as possible.

Customers want even headways between buses - thats what the clockface timetables are supposed to deliver - and a not to be sitting waiting for 15 minutes for a driver change.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Customers want even headways between buses - thats what the clockface timetables are supposed to deliver - and a not to be sitting waiting for 15 minutes for a driver change.

I'd generally agree with your sentiments Lxflyer,with one observation....the needs of the customer in Public Transport terms often change as soon as they have boarded the bus.

For example I have regular passengers who never have the correct fare and can always be depended upon to stand blocking the drivers view into the Nearside mirror (deliberately),whilst going through the rooting and scratching for coins pahlavah.....this is done in a mean-spirited and calculated manner totally oblivious of the needs of any other passengers....HOWEVER...as soon as the little one-act play is over and the rooter has sat down,their demeanour alters totally as they begin to pontificate about how long they were waiting on a bus and how slow the service is etc etc....:o

I am consistently amazed at the numbers of such people and the sheer dedication they apply to maintaining this abberant behaviour.....:confused:

My point being,that once aboard the Bus,the vast majority of my passengers want me to get a bit of a move on...each passenger,once aboard is only concerned at how fast they will be brought to their destination.

I rather suspect that it will take a bit more than mere scheduling to address the elements I see at play on a daily basis. ;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

They probably want you to skips stops and take shortcuts too. But its a system, it has to follow rules. Make the buses cashless. End the fumbling.

No matter what you do in life there are always arkward people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Hmm, quite an angry little person. Let me explain further in simple terms.

Professional drivers are governed by laws set down by the EU. One law covers the amount of driving time a driver can work before being compelled to take a break. A driver who works over the stated hours can become fatigued and hence become a risk to passengers and other road users.

That's the law. Ignoring it is to break it. Get it?

Also, a relief driver relieves the first driver, therefore that driver is called a relief driver. Get it, mate?

:rolleyes:

Not angry or little "mate". Your smiley and smart comments would suggest you are.

A driver starting the 39a route in the morning on his first drive of the day is not fatigued.

Anyway got an email from Dublin Bus. Fair play for responding but things wont change:

Thank you for your email regarding the delay in our driver changeover on route 39A,
    Customer research has indicated a preference for cross-city routes, and as part of our Network Direct Project we have implemented a number of these services. Due to the driving time and distance involved and the removal of city centre termini, we must now provide a relief driver mid-trip on some services.
    However, in some circumstances there may be variability in handover times due to traffic volumes or human error.
    I can confirm that all reports regarding handover delays are investigated thoroughly, and whatever action is deemed necessary to prevent a repeat or recurrence will be taken.

On behalf of Dublin Bus please accept our apologies and thank you for bringing this matter to our attention.
    Regards,

Think you need to read my last post re the relief driver.

• Advertisement

As I posted above it sounds as if the bus arrived early at the handover point - that could be down to the traffic conditions or a driver driving faster than the schedule.

Advertisement