Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How big can the age gap be?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

OP take no notice of what age they are. If you like them go for it. My wife is ten years younger than me and we are perfectly happy. We go together when I was 24 btw.

She was only 14...? o.O

• Registered Users Posts: 14,619 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

OP take no notice of what age they are. If you like them go for it. My wife is ten years younger than me and we are perfectly happy. We go together when I was 24 btw.
    Novella wrote: »
    She was only 14...? o.O

14? She's currently only 7:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Average_Joe

Blay wrote: »
    That was my son. He asked to use my account to ask that question.
    Now that I look at my post, I realise it could have been taken in the wrong context. They were different times and we loved each other. We got married when she turned 18 and we didnt take any notice of bigoted remarks, being called a 'paedo' I collected her from school. We loved each other and thats all that mattered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Mate, your posts are all over the shot...have a week off from tLL to read up on the forum charter here and maybe a good read of Boards general posting guide/ettiquette here.

Cheers. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 hedwig9891

there's an 9yr age gap between us his 31 ,were goin out nearly six yrs and in total bliss,at the start we were subjected to teasin the peado thing and his using her for the ride were thrown about often, now they realise its love and askin wen the wedding is , also my sister is goin out with a guy 8yrs older she's 19 there together 3 yrs so with us its definately a older mature man we prefer. its not about the age im lucky iv found someone im happy with without having to go thru yrs of heart ache

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭56lcd

it's ok as long as the girl is over 18, there is nothing wrong with a 95 year old man having an 18 year old girlfriend ... they were just born at different times and besides it is legal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭lil'bug

there is 13 years between me and himself and we are together 10 years, so its no big deal, at the end of the day age is just a number

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

There's a big difference in terms of life experience and maturity between an 18yo and a 24yo.

Depends entirely on who the 18 year old and 24 year old are in my opinion. I've known 24 year olds who still lived with their parents and sat around playing computer games all day, with their Mammy cooking their dinner and washing their clothes for them, as innocent and as naive about the world as I would have been at 12. I've also know 18 year olds living on their own, paying their own way in the world and who I wouldn't worry about for a second if they told me they were going off travelling the world for two years on their own. People mature, personally develop and gain life experience at different rates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

56lcd wrote: »
    it's ok as long as the girl is over 18, there is nothing wrong with a 95 year old man having an 18 year old girlfriend ... they were just born at different times and besides it is legal.
    Yeah, that's a reasonable assessment of a 30-year-old and a 21-year-old, but your scenario is not comparing like with like (I assume it's ironic).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I used to think around ten years on either side of my age was ok, but now I reckon around five.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

I don't think I could go more than 6 or 7 years older than me. They'd be working before I even got to college. And anymore than a year or so younger than me (I'm 18) is a little creepy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

I'm currently seeing a man who is 16 years older than I am. I was never adverse to dating an older man, although I would never have thought I'd be seeing someone that much older than me.

I can't help teasing him sometimes that I was still in primary school when he started working, things like that. Sometimes, yes there will be a generational gap in terms of experience & attitude when we're talking about music or current affairs etc, but that can't be helped. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭chocgirl

Yeah I reckon 5 years either side of my age, I think I'd find anything outside that difficult, but there's always the exceptions I suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ellieh1

There is an 11 yr age gap between me and my OH, and its not an issue for either of us.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

There's nothing really I can add to the debate that hasn't already been said, but I think once two people are at the same stage in life there shouldn't be a problem. I've cousins who have married men 10 and 20 years older than them, and they're in very happy marriages, as is my cousin who married a guy a few years younger than her.

I think what is deemed to be acceptable/unacceptable has been dictated by society rather than by statistics of (un)happy marriages/relationships. Therefore, I don't think there's a rule which must be adhered to; if someone is happy then why should age be an issue?

Advertisement