Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GYM Help shoulders and muscle im-balance

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Brian010

A pullup is one of the most basic exercises known to man.

Hah yeh a very well known bodyweight exercise. Still doesn't mean it's easy or advisable for a beginner.

Can't believe I'm actually entertaining your idiocy.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Brian010 wrote: »
    He has responded by saying this is wrong and that is wrong without offering any reasons! Also, suggesting that a beginner with little upper body strength should use a pull up bar is laughable. Pull ups is an advanced exercise. It tells me he knows little about fitness advice.[/QUOTE]

Completely disagree. It absolutely should be the OP's goal to perform pull ups.

If he can't do pull ups unassisted he should still get a chinup bar and use the progression:

1. inverted rows
    2. inverted rows with weight added once he can do 10-12
    3. chinups
    4. weighted chins once he can do 10-12
    5. pullups
    6. wide grip pullups
    7. weighted pullups

BTW, the last thing machines do is teach correct form. Correct form is learned by doing. If someone can only do body weight squats or with an empty bar, that's where they start to learn form. Same goes for any excercise, machines have some uses but are way overused by PTs and gym trainers who see it as an easy way out.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭SanoVitae

BTW, the last thing machines do is teach correct form.

Just so you know, neither dumbbells or barbells teach you correct form...;)

Hah yeh a very well known bodyweight exercise. Still doesn't mean it's easy or advisable for a beginner.

So what if a beginner can easily perform a pull up? I've seen it. Do you tell him it's too advanced for him and he should go off and do something else. Your argument is pointless.

they/them/theirs

OP - if you do decide to do decide to do chin-ups or pull-ups, make sure they are done using correct form. Avoid kipping pull-ups at all costs. The shoulder joint is very easily injured and difficult to recover from.

• Advertisement

He has responded by saying this is wrong and that is wrong without offering any reasons! Also, suggesting that a beginner with little upper body strength should use a pull up bar is laughable. Pull ups is an advanced exercise. It tells me he knows little about fitness advice.[/QUOTE]

Completely disagree. It absolutely should be the OP's goal to perform pull ups.

If he can't do pull ups unassisted he should still get a chinup bar and use the progression:

1. inverted rows
    2. inverted rows with weight added once he can do 10-12
    3. chinups
    4. weighted chins once he can do 10-12
    5. pullups
    6. wide grip pullups
    7. weighted pullups

BTW, the last thing machines do is teach correct form. Correct form is learned by doing. If someone can only do body weight squats or with an empty bar, that's where they start to learn form. Same goes for any excercise, machines have some uses but are way overused by PTs and gym trainers who see it as an easy way out.

I didn't say he should avoid pull ups!? A beginner should never start a programme with pull ups but he should absolutely aim to work towards doing them. The average man can only do one pull up so to to suggest that he should start asap is wrong. You are 100% wrong about machines not teaching form. It was one of the reasons they were designed.

So what if a beginner can easily perform a pull up? I've seen it. Do you tell him it's too advanced for him and he should go off and do something else. Your argument is pointless.

If he can do pull ups then fair play and work away at them. The point that you missed perhaps was that he said he had no upper body strength. Therefore, it is safe to assume he is unable to perform a pull up and thus my argument is not pointless. Maybe you should read again....

I didn't say he should avoid pull ups!? A beginner should never start a programme with pull ups but he should absolutely aim to work towards doing them. The average man can only do one pull up so to to suggest that he should start asap is wrong. You are 100% wrong about machines not teaching form. It was one of the reasons they were designed.

If a beginner can do pullups, then he 100%(you seem to like that) should start with a programme involving pullups. If he can't then he should start with inverted rows or chins. Shades of grey, not black and white as you seem to think.

Machines were designed to teach form? What form do they teach exactly, apart from how to perform that particular excercise on that exact machine?

they/them/theirs

If he can do pull ups then fair play and work away at them. The point that you missed perhaps was that he said he had no upper body strength. Therefore, it is safe to assume he is unable to perform a pull up and thus my argument is not pointless. Maybe you should read again....

I'm out.

they/them/theirs

You are 100% wrong about machines not teaching form. It was one of the reasons they were designed.

Machines don't teach form at all. The movements are guided so you don't have to worry about balance or technique. All that's required for you to concentrate on is proper breathing, rep cadence and the level of intensity used.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 strongphase

Dr. Diagnosis here "thinks" slouched shoulders are a result of overstretched back muscles.
    Read:
    I think slouched shoulders are usually the result of overstretched back muscles and lack of back strength, tight pec minor and tight anterior delts.
    And my name is not Dr. Diagnosis.
    Sounds like you've adapted his problem to something you think you know about.
    I do know about it, I corrected it in myself following the advice I have given.
    I'll repeat again seeing as you must be simple.
    I'm not but thanks for your concern.
    You expect him to work at pull ups with no upper body strength? He needs a base before he evens begins pulling his body weight up.
    That's why I said "inverted rows" and not just pullups on their own.
    If anything, he should use the assisted pull up bar so that he isn't lifting his ENTIRE body weight. You wouldn't have thought of that though...
    You mean the machine? I did think of that, but I don't like machines as previously explained.
    You don't even know who I am to even question what I know about fitness?!
    I never said I know who you are and this is a public fitness forum, everything is open for debate.
    You are an idiot son.
    Thanks for making that clear.

The average man can only do one pull up
    Yes. So they should work towards doing another one and then another and another.

Do you comprehend?

If a beginner can do pullups, then he 100%(you seem to like that) should start with a programme involving pullups. If he can't then he should start with inverted rows or chins. Shades of grey, not black and white as you seem to think.

Machines were designed to teach form? What form do they teach exactly, apart from how to perform that particular excercise on that exact machine?

The 100% jab is childish. Am I supposed to be offended or are you are trying to funny?:confused:

Machines were not designed with the exclusive goal of "teaching" form but one of their main goals is to act as guide. Machines are actually useful for beginners because they are often uncertain about the appropriate range of motion and risk overextending or under-extending with free weights. Injuries are likely when we go out of our body's preferred range of motion, and weight machines help ensure it doesn't happen.

That clear enough for you?

Yes. So they should work towards doing another one and then another and another.

Do you comprehend?

What's your point? The idea here is that the guy hasn't the strength to work on sets of pull ups therefore he should build strength beforehand.

The 100% jab is childish. Am I supposed to be offended or are you are trying to funny?:confused:

Machines were not designed with the exclusive goal of "teaching" form but one of their main goals is to act as guide. Machines are actually useful for beginners because they are often uncertain about the appropriate range of motion and risk overextending or under-extending with free weights. Injuries are likely when we go out of our body's preferred range of motion, and weight machines help ensure it doesn't happen.

facepalm2.jpg

facepalm2.jpg

That your stock response when you lose an argument? :D

What's your point? The idea here is that the guy hasn't the strength to work on sets of pull ups therefore he should build strength beforehand.

Are you saying strength can't be improved by doing 1 pullup? 1 pullup is a set in my book.

If your aim is to prove us all wrong then please do it, stop misquoting and nitpicking and generally wrecking the thread, we're trying to give the OP the best advice possible by giving our personal opinions.

Relax.

That your stock response when you lose an argument? :D

No. There is no winning or losing here mate, the OP will choose whichever piece of advice he wants.

Are you saying strength can't be improved by doing 1 pullup? 1 pullup is a set in my book.

If your aim is to prove us all wrong then please do it, stop misquoting and nitpicking and generally wrecking the thread, we're trying to give the OP the best advice possible giving our personal opinions.

You're just trying to discredit our knowledge and prove you are the stephen hawking of the fitness world, relax imo.

Lord Almighty you are too complex for your own self! I gave him simple advice. Start on machines to ease in then progress onto free weights. You were too busy loving your free weights and eager to spaff on about complex routines. He is a beginner!!! You actually think my aim is to wreck the thread? Sounds like I'm wrecking you head and you can't handle it. Stephen Hawking of the fitness world?! That is actually quite funny but not sure you intended the comic irony of that joke.

This has been your approach to everything I've said! You assume I mean something I never said!

• Advertisement

I gave him simple advice.

The type of simple advice "personal trainers" give.

"Use the machines, see ya later."

The type of simple advice that eventually ends in the beginner not progressing and stopping using the gym from what i've seen.
    You were too busy loving your free weights and eager to spaff on about complex routines.
    I have not mentioned the term freeweights once in this thread. Or anything close.

I don't use them that much anymore either, I prefer bodyweight exercises but if I had the time to go to a gym I would use freeweights.

Pullups and inverted rows are one of the simplest back exercise routines. How are they complex?
    You actually think my aim is to wreck the thread? Sounds like I'm wrecking you head and you can't handle it.
    Yes you are right I just can't handle the severe lack of rationale i've come across in this thread so far.

As I said I'm out, I no longer care to argue with you as I will just be repeating myself and will become subject to personal abuse which seems to be your method or arguing. That clear enough for you?

they/them/theirs

The type of simple advice "personal trainers" give.

"Use the machines, see ya later."

The type of simple advice that eventually ends in the beginner not progressing and stopping using the gym from what i've seen.

I have not mentioned the term freeweights once in this thread. Or anything close.

I don't use them that much anymore either, I prefer bodyweight exercises but if I had the time to go to a gym I would use freeweights.

Pullups and inverted rows are one of the simplest back exercise routines. How are they complex?

Yes you are right I just can't handle the severe lack of rationale i've come across in this thread so far.

You don't even go to the gym?!? Right. Cheerio mate.

As I said I'm out, I now longer care to argue with you as I will just be repeating myself and will become subject to personal abuse which seems to be your method or arguing. That clear enough for you?

I haven't resorted to personal abuse at all. If you look back the cheap jabs were thrown by others. Sure aren't I Stephen Hawking?!:D I threw a few jabs back but nothing personal.

You have your opinion and I have mine. We could argue all night and it would be pointless. No need to take it seriously!

You don't even go to the gym?!? Right. Cheerio mate.
    I have been working out and using the gym for over 10 years.

"You don't even go to the gym."

Lol go away.

As I said I'm out, I no longer care to argue with you as I will just be repeating myself and will become subject to personal abuse which seems to be your method or arguing. That clear enough for you?

Also, I have to insist you are wrong here. I offered reasons for my arguments and received little by way of reasoned response in return.

I have been working out and using the gym for over 10 years.

"You don't even go to the gym."

Lol go away.

I'm joking mate lol. Chill out :P

You are an idiot son.
    I haven't resorted to personal abuse at all.

No need to take it seriously!

I'm out now aswell.

OP I hope you can find something useful in this thread.

*adds Brian010 to ignore list*

• Advertisement

I admitted I threw a few jabs and so did you. So what? That was clearly a response to a your lack of reasoned response. The "son" was for effect.

Advertisement