Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GYM Help shoulders and muscle im-balance

Options
  • 03-02-2011 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭

Hey lads, not sure if I am posting this in right location so mods feel free to move. Anyways I joined the gym this week. I have no upper body strenght and wanted to build on this. My personal trainer said my shoulder muscles are imbalanced. When I am using the machine weights, my left arm starts shaking - its not sore, just shakes. Also, my shoulders are pointed in instead of back....how can I fix this?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dave80

dave98 wrote: »
    Hey lads, not sure if I am posting this in right location so mods feel free to move. Anyways I joined the gym this week. I have no upper body strenght and wanted to build on this. My personal trainer said my shoulder muscles are imbalanced. When I am using the machine weights, my left arm starts shaking - its not sore, just shakes. Also, my shoulders are pointed in instead of back....how can I fix this?

plenty off back work, rows, chins, facepulls, rear delts raises etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Do dumbbell shoulder presses instead of machine work or using a bar. If you use a bar/machine the imbalance will become even greater because your stronger arm will take over. Using dumbbells will decrease the imbalance in time, most people have one side which is stronger than the other (particularly with shoulder press), it's not something to worry about but like i said using dumbbells will decrease the imbalance.

I don't know what you mean by saying your shoulders are pointed in instead of back so i'll let someone else field that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Brian010

I wouldn't do any free weights until you've built up adequate strength on the machines. They will provide you with stability and reduce the risk of injury. If the imbalance is troublesome I would see a physio to make sure you don't have a problem or injury in that area.

Brian010 wrote: »
    I wouldn't do any free weights until you've built up adequate strength on the machines. They will provide you with stability and reduce the risk of injury. If the imbalance is troublesome I would see a physio to make sure you don't have a problem or injury in that area.

I disagree. Using free weights which you can manage (i.e. not too heavy - im sure the free weights start at most at 2kg, if not 1kg) you will progress faster than using the machines. Using free weights will also incorporate more stabiliser muscles than machines due to the limited range of motion that you can perform on machines and the fact that you simply push and there is no balancing. Using machines will only create a larger muscle imbalance which may increase your risk of injury when moving onto free weights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

If the imbalance is troublesome I would see a physio to make sure you don't have a problem or injury in that area.
    I'm not so sure about the machines, I think this bit of advice is good. You might not need to go to a physio - a good trainer might do. If it's a big imbalance definitely get somebody who knows what they're talking about to check you out in person and recommend you a way to correct this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

jive wrote: »
    I don't know what you mean by saying your shoulders are pointed in instead of back so i'll let someone else field that one.
    I'd say their shoulders are rolled forwards instead of pulled back - bad posture, in other words.

Pace2008 wrote: »
    I'd say their shoulders are rolled forwards instead of pulled back - bad posture, in other words.

I dont know what advice to give about that :P Stand up straighter i guess. Shouldn't be a problem with shoulder pressing though as your upper back should be pushed against the bench so your shoulders should be in line and up right this way

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

Ding ding ding..wrong answer..tell em whats he's won pete..

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭gymsoldier

Just curious to why your paying money for a personal trainer who cant help you out?

Edit: Rounded shoulders is sometimes related to tight pectoralis major.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

dave80 wrote: »
    plenty off back work, rows, chins, facepulls, rear delts raises etc
    do that above and i hope to got the trainer had you doing some foam rolling (foam rolling at all would be a basic really) and thoracic extensions in some form. Check for shoulder range of motion and get a small ball in on tight areas that may be causing an impingement

what has your trainer suggested?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Remmy wrote: »

While I'd agree with the sentiment, you're not really helping out with that post.

I disagree. Using free weights which you can manage (i.e. not too heavy - im sure the free weights start at most at 2kg, if not 1kg) you will progress faster than using the machines. Using free weights will also incorporate more stabiliser muscles than machines due to the limited range of motion that you can perform on machines and the fact that you simply push and there is no balancing. Using machines will only create a larger muscle imbalance which may increase your risk of injury when moving onto free weights.

I agree that dumbbell training is the long term solution to an imbalance in strength. However, the guy said he has no upper body strength and personal trainers always recommend starting on machines. Using machines doesn't create muscle imbalance either. No idea where you got that from. Machines target form and help control the movements thus reducing risk of injury. It would be harder to find proper and consistent form starting on free weights.

Remmy wrote: »

Good man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭SanoVitae

gymsoldier wrote: »
    Just curious to why your paying money for a personal trainer who cant help you out?

Perhaps it's best if the OP sees a physio to see if there is a muscular imbalance.

I actually respect the personal trainer for not giving advice that he/she is not qualified to give.

Far too many personal trainers are doing this, the extent of their knowledge based on what they've seen in DVDs and at seminars. They are passing themselves off as experts in many different fields and people are getting hurt as a result.

A little knowledge, as they say, is a dangerous thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

I sort of have the same problem. I broke my shoulder a few years ago and since then it's always been a fair bit weaker than the good one. Got a proper plan after Xmas and it is improving. Mainly just doing machines but also a small bit with dumbells. Also have the pointy shoulder blades, and the low row, lats and wide grip pullups is what I've been given. 3 weeks in and I already notice the difference.

I agree that dumbbell training is the long term solution to an imbalance in strength. However, the guy said he has no upper body strength and personal trainers always recommend starting on machines. Using machines doesn't create muscle imbalance either. No idea where you got that from. Machines target form and help control the movements thus reducing risk of injury. It would be harder to find proper and consistent form starting on free weights.

I explained it in my post. If you use a bar/machine then your stronger side will take over, thus leading to an even greater muscle imbalance. I don't know and don't care what personal trainers recommend - dumbbells will help rectify a muscle imbalance so using machines would NOT be the right thing to do. Machines don't target form - they limit the movement. I already said that i'm sure his gym has 2kg dumbbells or even 1kg - a toddler could use these weights with good form and they don't have any upper body strength either. I don't understand what you mean by saying it would be harder to find proper and consistent form if starting on free weights. Practice makes perfect. Using machines does not make you any better at free weights. Many people use the smith machine to bench and then when they actually go to bench they are not steady at all. If they began with free bench in the first place they would be much better at it by that time if they hadn't started with the assisted bench. The same can be said for the dumbbell press and shoulder press machine.

I explained it in my post. If you use a bar/machine then your stronger side will take over, thus leading to an even greater muscle imbalance. I don't know and don't care what personal trainers recommend - dumbbells will help rectify a muscle imbalance so using machines would NOT be the right thing to do. Machines don't target form - they limit the movement. I already said that i'm sure his gym has 2kg dumbbells or even 1kg - a toddler could use these weights with good form and they don't have any upper body strength either. I don't understand what you mean by saying it would be harder to find proper and consistent form if starting on free weights. Practice makes perfect. Using machines does not make you any better at free weights. Many people use the smith machine to bench and then when they actually go to bench they are not steady at all. If they began with free bench in the first place they would be much better at it by that time if they hadn't started with the assisted bench. The same can be said for the dumbbell press and shoulder press machine.

My main point is to use machines initially to ease into exercise and activate the muscles. Free weights is absolutely the way forward after a few sessions on the machines. Most machines have two sides (ex. pec deck/pec fly) so you can see where one arm is pushing more than the other unlike on the Smith machine where there is a bar. In terms of form I'm talking about the many people who uses free weights horribly. It's just a thought to get used to the rigid form that machines employ (from a beginner's standpoint). Contrary to what you said machines definitely do target form. That is why you can only move them one way. Of course there are people who don't use machines properly either as well. Maybe a good trainer is the answer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 strongphase

personal trainers always recommend starting on machines.
    Because they're told to.

Most gym contracted personal trainers you see floating around gyms have no interest in teaching form and technique either, so it works out well for them.

If a "personal trainer" starts someone off on a machine programme their not worth a penny imo.
    Using machines doesn't create muscle imbalance either.
    Yes it does.
    Machines target form
    No they don't, at all.
    It would be harder to find proper and consistent form starting on free weights.
    That's the point.

OP: Get yourself a doorway pullup bar and a set of stretch bands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

OP

read it again

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=70472132&postcount=15

it's the best advice IMHO

J

Using machines doesn't create muscle imbalance either.
    Yes it does.

Depends on the machine I feel. I agree that a bilateral machine could, but in the case of unilateral machines I feel they wouldn't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

I have had many years of shoulder problems,just make sure whoever is looking after you knows what they are talking about getting second opinions can leave you confused.
    I had inflammation in my right Supraspinatus tendon the problem lasted over two years making over head and flat pressing movements very hard/sore.The problem started from arm wrestling!
    Now that the pain problem is gone i have found that my right arm/tricep is more involved in pressing movements than it need to be,so i am finding keeping the weight moderate helps along with keeping good form.
    Give dumbbells a blast for a while they wont mask any of the imbalances between either side.

drdeadlift wrote: »
    I have had many years of shoulder problems,just make sure whoever is looking after you knows what they are talking about getting second opinions can leave you confused.
    I had inflammation in my right Supraspinatus tendon the problem lasted over two years making over head and flat pressing movements very hard/sore.The problem started from arm wrestling!
    Now that the pain problem is gone i have found that my right arm/tricep is more involved in pressing movements than it need to be,so i am finding keeping the weight moderate helps along with keeping good form.
    Give dumbbells a blast for a while they wont mask any of the imbalances between either side.

Did you ever do any subscapularis damage with arm wrestling?

Because they're told to.

Most gym contracted personal trainers you see floating around gyms have no interest in teaching form and technique either, so it works out well for them.

If a "personal trainer" starts someone off on a machine programme their not worth a penny imo.

Yes it does.

No they don't, at all.

That's the point.

OP: Get yourself a doorway pullup bar and a set of stretch bands.

You are wrong. Also, you're recommending a pull up bar?! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

gymsoldier wrote: »
    Did you ever do any subscapularis damage with arm wrestling?

Never even looked into that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭shootermacg

You wouldn't have a desk job by any chance? A lot of people do have a stronger side, if it's not causing you pain then it's probably fine.
    The dumbbell advice is good advice, mainly because you need to catch up with your strong side. By using weights the weak side can handle and incrementing accordingly your weak side will catch up.
    If you are using barbells (or machines that don't allow independent movement) you'll be making the strong side stronger at the expense of the weak side.
    Make sure you are able to handle the rep range with your weaker side.
    As far as forward pointing shoulders, that may just be bad posture which may well be cured by making a conscious decision to keep them pulled back.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

You are wrong. Also, you're recommending a pull up bar?! :confused:

What exactly is he wrong about?

Why are you confused about the reccomendation of a pullup bar?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

What exactly is he wrong about?

Why are you confused about the reccomendation of a pullup bar?

He has responded by saying this is wrong and that is wrong without offering any reasons! Also, suggesting that a beginner with little upper body strength should use a pull up bar is laughable. Pull ups is an advanced exercise. It tells me he knows little about fitness advice.

you're recommending a pull up bar?! :confused:
    I think slouched shoulders are usually the result of overstretched back muscles and lack of back strength, tight pec minor and tight anterior delts.

The easiest way for anyone to correct this in my opinion is to get hold of a doorway pullup bar and get working at pullups and inverted rows to strengthen the back, while a set of stretchbands will help to stretch out the tight muscles.

Obviously someone who hasn't a clue about fitness isn't capable of comprehending this so I can understand your confusion.
    You are wrong.
    Explain how i'm wrong. If possible.

I think slouched shoulders are usually the result of overstretched back muscles and lack of back strength, tight pec minor and tight anterior delts.

The easiest way for anyone to correct this in my opinion is to get hold of a doorway pullup bar and get working at pullups and inverted rows to strengthen the back, while a set of stretchbands will help to stretch out the tight muscles.

Obviously someone who has not got a clue about fitness would not be mentally capable of comprehending this so I can understand your confusion.

Explain how i'm wrong. Oh wait, you can't.

Dr. Diagnosis here "thinks" slouched shoulders are a result of overstretched back muscles. Who knows they may be but his problem is weak upper body and imbalance in strength. Something a lot of people experience. Sounds like you've adapted his problem to something you think you know about.

I'll repeat again seeing as you must be simple. You expect him to work at pull ups with no upper body strength? He needs a base before he evens begins pulling his body weight up. If anything, he should use the assisted pull up bar so that he isn't lifting his ENTIRE body weight. You wouldn't have thought of that though....

You don't even know who I am to even question what I know about fitness?!

You are an idiot son.

• Advertisement

Pull ups is an advanced exercise. It tells me he knows little about fitness advice.
    A pullup is one of the most basic exercises known to man.

Advertisement