Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Throwers and throws coaching

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭longjump67

RoyMcC wrote: »
    You're obviously very proud of your daughter. Beware of getting too excited as one day she will most likely find something better to do - I've been there :( Enjoy and encourage while it lasts.

Proud yes, but realistic also. Been there, bought the tee-shirt. Been coaching 12 years and have seen athletes with great potential leave the sport due to college, relationships other sports etc....

But while it lasts I'll have a blast :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Killian Barry of Crusaders threw 66.19, a new National Junior Record and qualifying mark for the European Juniors later in the summer for the Hammer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

ecoli wrote: »
    Killian Barry of Crusaders threw 66.19, a new National Junior Record and qualifying mark for the European Juniors later in the summer for the Hammer

One of Phil Conway's Belvedere lads I think...

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭a_non_a_mouse

Well done to Killian.
    It was really only a matter of time for him to get the mark.

As far as I know, He's finished in Belvo since last summer and has lined up a scholarship in some US college for Sept/Oct.

Future is bright for Irish hammer throwers!

Young Mc Guigan just getting over illness will be hopeing to join the 66m+ club within the next few weeks.;)

• Advertisement

Mixed week in terms of the womens Hammer this week. Early in the week New WR set in Germany

Followed up by Eileen O Keefe's retirement days after

Eileen will be missed, but must have inspired many of the up and coming young hammer throwers out there. Who knows it may not be long before we see 1 or more girls in the world champs.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭electrictrad

longjump67 wrote: »
    Eileen will be missed, but must have inspired many of the up and coming young hammer throwers out there. Who knows it may not be long before we see 1 or more girls in the world champs.

True, she will be a big loss. . .I hope she considers coaching, her experience of competing at the highest level of Womens hammer is something that can neither be bought nor matched in Ireland today. . .

Future is looking bright for the hammer . . .the 2 junior qualifiers will be added to soon hopefully. . .watch out for Andrew Doyle, Conal Campion, and James McCabe. . .id wager on one of them joining killian barry in the euro juniors

Excellent to see discus qualifiers too. . quirke u23 and Marco pons junior, hopefully Darragh Hanlon will also qualify before the season is out

. . .cannot see any javelin or shot qualifiers at this stage, bu hope springs eternal. . .clare fitzgerald isn't too far from the u23 standard. . .

Future is looking bright for the hammer . . .the 2 junior qualifiers will be added to soon hopefully. . .watch out for Andrew Doyle, Conal Campion, and James McCabe. . .id wager on one of them joining killian barry in the euro juniors

Wouldn't rule out Dempsey Mc Guigan, just getting over an illness should be back to his best in the next month or so.;)

In Leinster Juniors today, Sophie Parkinson had a throw of 40.62m in the Discus just 38cm outside qualification for the youth Olympics.
    Might make it in the Schools next week where the inter girls discus could be an interesting competition

and with Cronin throwing 37+m in the junior age group Munster schools, Pons throwing over 50m in senior boys, there could be some good discus competitions in Tullamore.

Girls hammer could also be good..
    Kennedy (snr) and Akers (jr) both set records in Munster schools and prob favourites but can't rule out McNally who also set a record in snr girls in Ulster

and on the boys side
    Andrew Doyle will be expected to win the senior boys hammer and shot, set records in both in the Ulster schools and could break schools hammer record.
    In the shot, Hickey probably closest to him, and in the hammer McCabe.

Should be some good throws events next Sat....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭electrictrad

Congrats to Dempsey McGuigan and Andrew Doyle on achieving the Euro Junior Hammer Standards. . .we now have 3 qualified in the hammer. . .if I'm not mistaken, Dempsey now holds the national junior record with that 66.82m, robbing Killian's 66.43m record from the 18th May. . .

Fair to say that if anyone else qualifies, we'll be in an unfamiliar selection position for an international championship. . .

These young hammer throwers are coming through well; all of them are living and training outside Ireland at present aren't they?

McGuigan living in UK and I think first completed in Ireland in 2010.
    Barry is heading to US in Sept but still living and training in Dublin as far I know.
    Doyle I assume is also still at usual abode and training.

So no great hammer school responsible for producing all 3, but I assume all forcing each other to new heights

Only 1 guaranteed spot for the european juniors which will go to the winner on Sun....makes for an interested competition.
    I wonder will AAI send the 3 anyway....I believe they should, the impact of having 3 competitors in the men's hammer would be great for hammer throwing in this country.

Yes with only the winner of the Juniors certain to go to the Euros, the Hammer should be " The Event " of the Championships.
    Heard that there could be a thrower from America by the name of Hall coming over to compete, think he's around the 62-63m mark, dark-horse maybe ;)

Can we dream of Ireland becoming a force in throwing again, led by the young hammer tyros?

A guy called Donnie Rocket from Waterford has pitched up in Jersey, a left-hander throwing low 50s off four turns. He's nabbed the Jersey record already and is on the Island Games team competing in the Isle of Wight next week.

Can we dream of Ireland becoming a force in throwing again, led by the young hammer tyros?

A guy called Donnie Rocket from Waterford has pitched up in Jersey, a left-hander throwing low 50s off four turns. He's nabbed the Jersey record already and is on the Island Games team competing in the Isle of Wight next week.

He used to compete here for a club called West Waterford.

When I saw the results from recent Munster Championships, I noticed the name Rocket from West Waterford winning the Boys U14 hammer and discus.
    I assume he's related.

He used to compete here for a club called West Waterford.

When I saw the results from recent Munster Championships, I noticed the name Rocket from West Waterford winning the Boys U14 hammer and discus.
    I assume he's related.

Ah that would be right then. Donnie says he was taught throwing by a priest at school in Dungarvan. I'll find out who the young one is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 stupidrobot

Wow, is that where he's gone? Great to hear he's still throwing, if I'm right he has the senior Munster record at 54ish meters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Rineanna

Two new national junior records in the hammer in Tullamore: Cara Kennedy 57.97m and Barry with 68.38m.

Rineanna wrote: »
    Two new national junior records in the hammer in Tullamore: Cara Kennedy 57.97m and Barry with 68.38m.

WOW...what a junior men's comp today.
    Killian Barry's 5th throw was a foul but measured after at over 69m, he followed up a 68m to take the title.
    Some throwing, Barry and McGuigan pushed each on and added about 3m to the old record which had already been broken this year.
    6 over 60m....Some competition..2 years ago 57m won Gold...

In the womens', the result was never in doubt Kennedy broke the record with her first throw.
    And like the men, seems to be more depth that in other years, 7 over 41m.

Well done to Kennedy and Barry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

Barry and McGuigan

Serious knockout punch in the last round.

Junior mens hammer was outstanding, both Killian & Dempsey going throw for throw. Serious comp and yes Killian did deliver the best throw on the day:D. Remember that Dempsey is still a Junior next year, so expect that record to go over 70m, both throwers capable of that.;)

Dempsey Mc Guigan throwing in the English schools this weekend Senior hammer, with his younger bother Fellan also in the inter hammer.
    Andrew Doyle competing in Germany at the weekend hoping to get a pb and secure his place on the plane for European Juniors.

Something which caught my eye today when I was on the diamond league website is that the hammer isnt contested in it. Admittedly not a huge follower of it but never noticed but went digging and saw this:

http://www.mbingisser.com/2009/09/diamond-league-plan/

Cited infrastructure and safety reasons which seems a bit bizarre to me

Cara Kennedy put the disappointment of fouling out of the Cork City sports on Sat behind her in some style on Sun at the Munster Junior Championships.
    New Irish junior record in the Hammer with a best of 58.26m, also had a 57m throw.
    Well done.

English Schools....
    Fellan McGuigan 4th in InterBoys with 59.88 (5kg hammer)
    Dempsey McGuigan 3rd in Senior Boys with 65.43m (6kg)

(Referring to #85) Good spot. Shame as it's the most spectacular of the throws. It is a headache for organisers though and can usually be found first on the programme before anyone else is around, or else banished to a field outside the main stadium.

Strangely people seem more blase about javelin and I've seen far more potential accidents, usually through carelessness, than in hammer.

English Schools....
    Fellan McGuigan 4th in InterBoys with 59.88 (5kg hammer)
    Dempsey McGuigan 3rd in Senior Boys with 65.43m (6kg)

Fellan competing in the Irish Juvenile champs on Sunday U-16, threw 70.13m (4kg) in the Ulster & NI Champs 3 weeks ago. Irish Championship record is 67.78m set in 1992 also he is still in the inter boys next year for the schools, serious throwing.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 stupidrobot

ecoli wrote: »
    Something which caught my eye today when I was on the diamond league website is that the hammer isnt contested in it. Admittedly not a huge follower of it but never noticed but went digging and saw this:

http://www.mbingisser.com/2009/09/diamond-league-plan/

Cited infrastructure and safety reasons which seems a bit bizarre to me

The "Hammer Throw Challenge" mentioned in that article you linked was set up last year and is held the day before a World Challenge event, it's a half measure, prize money is nowhere near that in the diamond league and it isn't being taken to by very many of the top throwers. This all started with the big end of year competition a few years back in Monaco, as it says in the article the track is over a parking garage and the fear was that the hammer would go through the ground! Since then a lot of other brand new tracks seems to be opening that can't hold the hammer for "infrastructural reasons"

Irish Throwers at World Masters...

http://www.flashresults.com/2011_Meets/outdoor/07-06-wma/WMA_Men_Start.pdf

Gary Halpin is back in action and competing in the hammer at World Masters T&F Championships in Sacramento, California this week.
    Gary still holds a number of hammer records at juvenile and schools level, including (i think) the schools Senior Boys hammer record.
    Tommy Farragher (Corofin A.C.) is also down for the Shot Putt, hammer, weight throw & javelin.

Richard O'Hanlon (Galway CH) is doing the Shot Putt and a Pat O'Hanlon is doing the weight throw

http://www.flashresults.com/2011_Meets/outdoor/07-06-wma/WMA_Women_Start.pdf

Geraldine Finnegan seems to be the only women thrower, she is no stranger to medaling at this level but I'm surprised she only seems to be contesting the javelin and is not in the list for the Shot Putt.

Wishing all of them the best of luck

• Advertisement

Tuesday evening at our track an U20 lad was throwing discus, name of Lawrence Okoye from Croydon. He's the training partner of our top boy around about the same age. He's a big lad but still a raw talent.

Looking forward to see what he produces over the course of the season.

http://www.athleticsweekly.com/news/okoye-smashes-uk-discus-record-and-world-age-19-best/

There, I said the boy was promising :pac:

Advertisement