Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

March 15th pole shift

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

I thought the whole point of this forum was about pushing the boundary of our imagination?:D without asking the common sense?
    You might want to check the board charter :)
    I'd post the relevant bits here to save you the bother but I've had a post infracted for that in the past, so you're on your own...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭shannonpowerlab

You might want to check the board charter :)
    I'd post the relevant bits here to save you the bother but I've had a post infracted for that in the past, so you're on your own...

Oh, not allowed?:D

That calls for another conspiracy theory.:D:D

Anyway, I wasted my time taking out an old magnetic compass. I was kinda hoping to see it moving but it is as steady as calm winter air.:pac:

Another theory bites the dust.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

So...........

Did anything happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭shannonpowerlab

Yakult wrote: »
    So...........

Did anything happen?

Nope. I think them yanks eat too much fastfood. Replaced all the natural protein in the brain with artificial protein. Made of chicken nuggets and hydrogenated oil.

Here comes another conspiracy theory.

Surely by now anyone with a decent telescope would see the damn thing in the sky if it is as close as they say. Bah!:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Why do you need coolant in the space if you can use aerogel panels and gold foil to insulate the internals? Shadow side is always below -200deg C.
    That is below operating temperature of some super conductors. If they can point the solar panel the right way all the time they should also be able to design a satellite to have a heat exchanger located at the shadow side to keep it super cool. Therefore the coolant can be recirculated...
    :D

Although space is in general very cold, it is also a vaccum. Any heat generated by the equipment has nowhere to go, unless it is mechanicaly removed by a heat exchanger. For example, if you were to step out of a spaceship without your suit and float off into the nothingness it would take thousands of years for your body to freeze, due to this lack of a heat removing mechanism. It's not enough to simply stick it out in the cold, if it has any heat generation going on at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

r. For example, if you were to step out of a spaceship without your suit and float off into the nothingness it would take thousands of years for your body to freeze, due to this lack of a heat removing mechanism.

You would radiate all your heat and be frozen within hours/days, not thousands of years.

You would radiate all your heat and be frozen within hours/days, not thousands of years.
    Yeah, surely infrared radiation would do the job, without any mechanical means?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭uprising2

Yakult wrote: »
    So...........

Did anything happen?

Yea there was a pole shift, it was great and happened on the 15th ;), good man esponolman, I didn't see it coming myself, I stumbled in on the 14th and the magic happened about 4am on the 15th, if you come back from your spot up in the mountains maybe I can take you to the pole shifters, well worth it....
    pole-dancing1.jpg
    Not laziness, PhD deadline.

http://kids.yahoo.com/reference/encyclopedia/entry?id=infrared

"Infrared radiation is thermal, or heat, radiation."

So your saying infared radiation would "freeze" a body, can I ask, don't answer if you don't want to, I'm not educated and never had time for school etc, but what is your "PhD" for exactly?.

uprising2 wrote: »

http://kids.yahoo.com/reference/encyclopedia/entry?id=infrared

"Infrared radiation is thermal, or heat, radiation."

So your saying infared radiation would "freeze" a body, can I ask, don't answer if you don't want to, I'm not educated and never had time for school etc, but what is your "PhD" for exactly?.
    It's very simple - hot things radiate heat by means of infrared radiation, becoming colder until they reach the ambient temperature. You seem to have misunderstood what I and the other poster was saying, and that website with science information.

• Advertisement

It's very simple - hot things radiate heat by means of infrared radiation, becoming colder until they reach the ambient temperature. You seem to have misunderstood what I and the other poster was saying, and that website with science information.

Would the body not absorb the infared radiation coming from ermm, ermmm, something like the sun for instance?.

Q:
    NASA frequently refers to "the cold of space" and the extremes of temperature from the sunny side of the shuttle to the shaded side. If I remember my college physics and astronomy correctly, space is a vacuum. Doesn't a true vacuum have no temperature? It would seem that the only problem that the astronauts should have is getting rid of heat. The only form of heat dissipation would be radiational and that would not be enough to cool an astronaut in a space suit -- they must require some form of air conditioning. If I am incorrect, then how does a vacuum bottle keep things hot or cold?

A:

You remember your college physics correctly. Space is a vacuum, and heat can only be exchanged through radiation. However, that is a quite powerful means of exchanging heat. Have you ever stood in front of a campfire on a very cold winter night? While facing the fire you may feel roasted in your face, while your back feels frigid. The fire radiates heat at you, and your back radiates heat into the cold night. Of course, the cold air around you plays a role, but if there is no wind, the major heat exchange is radiation.
    In space this is turned to the extreme. Without any star or planet nearby the temperature of space (as defined by radiation) is 3 K (-270 centigrade), the temperature of the ubiquitous background radiation from the Big Bang, i.e. extremely cold indeed. A spacecraft is roasted on the side that faces the sun and very effectively cooled on the opposite side.
    The amount of heat that a spacecraft radiates into space and receives from the Sun can be controlled by the makeup of its surface. And this is the second secret of the vacuum bottle (or thermos): while the vacuum suppresses heat exchanges by conduction and air convection, exchange by radiation is suppressed by the shiny metallic coating of the bottle. This shiny coating reflects the heat radiation like a mirror and keeps it either inside the bottle (if the content is hot) or outside (if the content is cold). Dr. Eberhard Moebius
    (March 2003)
    http://helios.gsfc.nasa.gov/qa_sp_ht.html

Would the body not absorb the infared radiation coming from ermm, ermmm, something like the sun for instance?
    Yup - if whatever body you are talking happens to be near the sun (or another star). If it's in a vacuum in the middle of nowhere, it won't. Space is mostly made up of the second type of place.

Although space is in general very cold, it is also a vaccum. Any heat generated by the equipment has nowhere to go, unless it is mechanicaly removed by a heat exchanger. For example, if you were to step out of a spaceship without your suit and float off into the nothingness it would take thousands of years for your body to freeze, due to this lack of a heat removing mechanism. It's not enough to simply stick it out in the cold, if it has any heat generation going on at all.
    Yup - if whatever body you are talking happens to be near the sun (or another star). If it's in a vacuum in the middle of nowhere, it won't. Space is mostly made up of the second type of place.

It's not the type of body I'm talking about, it's the type of body you's are talking about, I re-quoted the posts in question.

Firstly spoongeBob mentions stepping out of a spaceship without a spacesuit, so the body would be a human body possibly spsp's?
    So my new question is what type of spacecraft can get to where there is no sun or other star?, you know the "second type of space".

Then "TheCommander" says you'd be frozen within days, which is untrue, and you agreed with him, both of you must have forgot about the giant ball of fire commonly known as the "Sun".

Then.....well I'll leave it at that, but have a re-read and see if you notice anything amiss.

So any chance of answering what your "PhD" is for?,,,,,No?, It's not that I don't believe you, it's just I'd expect a bit more from such a highly educated person like your honourable self.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

Then "TheCommander" says you'd be frozen within days, which is untrue, and you agreed with him, both of you must have forgot about the giant ball of fire commonly known as the "Sun".

Earth has a shadow. So does the moon.

Firstly spoongeBob mentions stepping out of a spaceship without a spacesuit, so the body would be a human body possibly spsp's?
    So my new question is what type of spacecraft can get to where there is no sun or other star?, you know the "second type of space".

I think we were all treating the example as hypothetical, although I can't speak for definite for everyone else. If you are going to introduce the sun, then what distance from the sun? What about shadows? The albedo of the body? And why would the body get cold anyway if it was alive? And why would you 'step out of a spacecraft' if you are already dead?

So yeah, I think it was just a simple hypothetical example of how a warm body in a cold vacuum loses heat.

Earth has a shadow. So does the moon.

Yes I know that, Pink Floyd have an album about one of these things, but were we to guess that you meant "in shadow constantly"?, because unless I'm mistaken this is the first mention of shadow I've read concerning this.

Likewise if sb's body wasn't in shadow it would be fried bacon would it not?, and not freeze until the sun blew out.

Further to this:
    Well, he said 'hours/days'. I found this interesting link some speculation from some guy in the physics department at Cornell University...
    <snip calculations>
    This is ~45 minutes. So you've got 45 minutes until a deadly freeze in deep space. Seems a rather long time, does it not? I'm fairly certain that you'd freeze much faster in antarctica than deep space. Why? Because in Antarctica you have more cooling mechanisms that just radiation, you have conduction in the air around you and convection of that warmer air away from your skin. If you're adrift in space, for all that it is rather cold, the good news is that you'll asphyxiate before you freeze!
    When he talks about a 'freeze', he's talking about a 7 degree drop in body temperature there, which would be fatal. Obviously, getting to zero celsius will take a bit longer (hours) and gettting to the ambient temperature of space (3 kelvin, or so?) would take days.

You will notice that this guy omitted the radiation from any stars too in his example.

http://thevirtuosi.blogspot.com/2010/05/freezing-in-space-i-blackest-night.html

Yes I know that, Pink Floyd have an album about one of these things, but were we to guess that you meant "in shadow constantly"?, because unless I'm mistaken this is the first mention of shadow I've read concerning this.
    And unless I'm mistaken, your mention of the sun was the first mention of that too. Here's the post all the debate is about:
    For example, if you were to step out of a spaceship without your suit and float off into the nothingness it would take thousands of years for your body to freeze, due to this lack of a heat removing mechanism. It's not enough to simply stick it out in the cold, if it has any heat generation going on at all.

I think we were all treating the example as hypothetical, although I can't speak for definite for everyone else. If you are going to introduce the sun, then what distance from the sun? What about shadows? The albedo of the body? And why would the body get cold anyway if it was alive? And why would you 'step out of a spacecraft' if you are already dead?

So yeah, I think it was just a simple hypothetical example of how a warm body in a cold vacuum loses heat.

So all this was pointless hypothetical nonsense?

So all this was pointless hypothetical nonsense?
    Well, unless we were talking about an actual guy who stepped out of a spaceship without his spacesuit somewhere near earth - yes, I guess it is. :)

• Advertisement

Well, unless we were talking about an actual guy who stepped out of a spaceship while dead somewhere near earth - yes, I guess it is. :)

Well that's that sorted.

Now back to the pole shift..........I wallked in, there she was strutting her stuff on the pole, I ordered a drink for myself and herself, I could see she needed it. Next thing I know her co-worker is working on me, she says "Hey Handsome, You gonna get me a drink too?", I answer "Yeah Babe, anything you want, you got it"..................

The rest is history.....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

You would indeed, i'm not quite sure what i was thinking there! Sorry :D

Advertisement