Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Someone taking your baby name - would you be mad?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,162 ✭✭✭Kiva.D

I know it shouldn't affect me, logically, but my heart aches a bit when I hear the name of the child of my old boyfriend. Knowing how deeply I was in love with him, my roommate was quite devisive in stealing him away, then named their firstborn the name I wanted (and she acted quite smirky about it). It's not so much taking the name away, it has a deeper familial implication, I suppose...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

No I wouldn't be mad, I be annoyed ya but I just go find another nicer name or a name similar to it! I have names I like but I have chopped and changed them so much as I get older. I prefer irish names for both a boy and a girl, some english names a couple of foreign names. I pick a name thats unqiue or not that common a name maybe a name that is popular but I would go with a name that suits the child/surname and blends with my name etc. If I were to use a name similar to a friend or family member's child I might pronounce or spell it differently but chances are I'd go for a different name no harm have a variety names picked out anyway! Best to wait until the baby is born!

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

But the point is that it's likely that many people around you who are close to the same age will also have their heart set on the same name. By choosing a more unique name, you're going to reduce the likelihood of somebody in your circle of acquaintances choosing the same name.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Kiva.D wrote: »
    I know it shouldn't affect me, logically, but my heart aches a bit when I hear the name of the child of my old boyfriend. Knowing how deeply I was in love with him, my roommate was quite devisive in stealing him away, then named their firstborn the name I wanted (and she acted quite smirky about it). It's not so much taking the name away, it has a deeper familial implication, I suppose...

My god :eek:

That would have been a bloody terrible time for you :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭BengaLover

Noah isnt a particularly unique name.
    If you dont want someone to take your chosen name then choose something unusual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

I would be livid. I plan to name my fist born son after Dio and my late grandfather (Ronnie James Dio) and while there's a slim chance of any of my circle of friends stealing the name, I'd still be angry about it as I've wanted that name since I was sixteen.

Another name I like is Alexis for a girl. Actually any variation on Alex for a girl babie suits me fine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

McChubbin wrote: »
    I would be livid. I plan to name my fist born son after Dio and my late grandfather (Ronnie James Dio) and while there's a slim chance of any of my circle of friends stealing the name, I'd still be angry about it as I've wanted that name since I was sixteen.

Another name I like is Alexis for a girl. Actually any variation on Alex for a girl babie suits me fine.

Stealing :confused:

STEALING!!! :confused:

How can someone STEAL something you DON'T own :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

That's just semantics...we say people steal our ideas and we don't "own" them...

If someone, particularly a friend, has made it clear that they have a particular name they'd like to name their child out of all the hundreds of thousands of names available, it's a bit...dunno...off to use that name yourself, especially if that person hasn't had their child yet.

It's a bit like those people who hear all about someone's wedding/birthday/anniversary/christening/etc plans and then swoop in and do it first, it's just a bit unnecessary, isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭pollypocket10

Very surprised that this thread is still running, people obviously feel very passionate about this.

I must say that it doesn't bother me. I have always known what I would call my first boy (if I were to have one) because I would name him after my brother who died at a young age.

My sister had three children before me and it was always a possibility that she could do the same but she happened to have all girls so it didn't come about. It wouldn't bother me if she did to be honest. My friends all know and to be honest if one of them used the name I wouldn't be bothered either, I'd still use it.

I am currently expecting so I might get to use it in the next few weeks :D

I think if you are going to be bothered by someone using the name you've chosen then just keep it to yourself.

IMHO alls fair when it comes to naming babies. A mother will always feel a duty to her child to pick what she feels is a good name and will not be worried about hurting your feelings!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Ok, but what happens if your sister, or sister-in-law has the same feelings as you do about the name? Do you both agree to disagree, or do you start to behave like adults, considering the name relates to an actual child and not a stuffed toy or inanimate object?

I know, it's a toughie, right??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Setting a wedding date, tell your best friend and they set their wedding date a week before yours might be seen as wrong

But your friend using a baby name you like, if anything it's a compliment. They took your idea and went with it.
    If this is an issue for you, then be grateful your life is so good that you can worry over petty things like this

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Oh, so you mean you'd only have an issue with someone taking your intended baby's name if they were both born on the same day? Well, that makes much more sense!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭CK2010

Setting a wedding date, tell your best friend and they set their wedding date a week before yours might be seen as wrong

But your friend using a baby name you like, if anything it's a compliment. They took your idea and went with it.
    If this is an issue for you, then be grateful your life is so good that you can worry over petty things like this

i know ive said this already, but obviously it was glossed over, just because someone gets upset or feels put out by something that may be petty to you does not mean their life is easy. i dont get that argument.

anyone would think the OP was trying to start a witch-hunt of the baby name stealers the way people are reacting, she just asked for opinions and people gave them. its not like anyone came on having a big rant about people doing this or threw a hissy fit, it was just a question!

so what if a woman feels a bit sentimental about a name she picked for her child? its not like shes out killing everyone who choses the same name, shes perfectly entitled to feel however she wants- not that it can even be helped- you feel how you feel. petty or not.

i sometimes feel jealous about celebs looking better than me and it can piss me off a little sometimes, so what? doesnt mean i have a wonderful life cause i get put out by something petty, just means im human! same with the name issue!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Ok everyone,

The OP has had her question answered with a variety of opinions and the thread is now veering wildly off topic.

Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement