Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Someone taking your baby name - would you be mad?

Options
  • 01-02-2011 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭akamossy

Can't imagine I would be furious but I might be a small bit annoyed if they had known that was the name I had my heart on but I'd get over it. I wouldn't fall out with anyone over it and ya if I thought the name suited any baby I may have then I would use it anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Ronan H

I would not be mad. I would use the name anyway.

I have seen close friends fall out (for years, and still) over this. I think that is utterly ridiculous to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I'd be pretty furious tbh if they knew you liked it. Maybe I'm petty :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

I've always loved a particular girl's name, and mentioned it to a pregnant friend, she then named her baby that name. Now it doesn't bother me that she did, but I know that if in a few years I had a baby girl and called her that name this friend would be furious that I "copied" her, but I distinctly remember telling her that I would definitely pick that name. It was actually two names together that I liked, and she called her daughter a slight variation of it, a few letters difference.

But when I said I wanted to call my new cat Jack she told me I couldn't because that's what they want to call their first son :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

what if you had a girl?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

sam34 wrote: »
    what if you had a girl?

Have a female isreali friend called Noa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

Spadina wrote: »
    I've always loved a particular girl's name, and mentioned it to a pregnant friend, she then named her baby that name. Now it doesn't bother me that she did, but I know that if in a few years I had a baby girl and called her that name this friend would be furious that I "copied" her, but I distinctly remember telling her that I would definitely pick that name. It was actually two names together that I liked, and she called her daughter a slight variation of it, a few letters difference.

But when I said I wanted to call my new cat Jack she told me I couldn't because that's what they want to call their first son :rolleyes:

oh dear lord she sounds like a treat!

some people get so ridiculously competitive about all sort of stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

IMO, there are more important things to consider when you have a baby, than wondering whether or not any of your friends will be annoyed/upset with you for picking a particular name. So long as baby and mammy are healthy, that's whats important, not a name.

No matter what name you chose someone will always be upset/miffed/whatever.

All that said, I don't have kids and I don't kids, but if I did ever have kids, I would chose a name I and baby's father liked, not a name that kept others happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Simple solution: don't tell people your planned baby names!

People may love a name they hear, and plenty of people change their mind once the kids are born.

I kept the name "Blossom" for my first daughter a secret for about 7 years. Thankfully one of the twins was a girl... and we decided to use the name. But they could have been boys, or we could have changed our minds.

I certainly wouldn't have expected to give people a list of my preferred names 7 years ago and then maybe have a change of mind on the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭DeadlyTwig

I would go crazy!! I think most women would.

My sister has her name picked out already and I decided to call my car the same name :P

needless to say it drives her mad!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

If I told a friend that I loved a certain name and she ended up using is it knowing I was dead set on using it also I guess I would be a little bit put out but I wouldn't loose a friendship over it that's just silly :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Aishae

makes me think of Friends - when rachel cant think what to call her baby and monica says she doesnt want to tell her the name she always liked cos she'll want it. rachel says she wont but when monica says 'emma' rachel wants it and monica says i want you to take it.
    it is a bit cheeky when you knew they loved that name for a baby. but if both people decide to use that name what the heck, plenty of emma's out there already. i think a friend would be ok, it might sting a bit. although as has been said, some would be mighty pissed if they used a baby name they knew you wanted, and when your baby is born a few years later.. eep.

my cousin had a baby a few years ago and when she said she was gonna ask our aunt could she name her niamh we were surprised.
    we have a cousin niamh.
    but she was ok with it and niamh was delighted the baby got the same name.

no its a cousin and another older cousins baby i still dunno why she went for that - it wasnt her first baby, it was her 2nd girl.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

My friend and I both like the same girl's name, it's no big deal. I hate this notion of "my baby name". Since when can you take ownership of a name? When I found out I was expecting a boy my friend told a mutual acquaintance of ours. She straight away she started saying that Jayden was her name and that my friend should tell me that. We had some fun for a couple of weeks where we were telling her that we were thinking of calling him after our Dads John and Aiden and were thinking of combining them. The steam was coming out of her ears. Our Dads have totally different names btw.

Das Kitty wrote: »
    My friend and I both like the same girl's name, it's no big deal. I hate this notion of "my baby name". Since when can you take ownership of a name? When I found out I was expecting a boy my friend told a mutual acquaintance of ours. She straight away she started saying that Jayden was her name and that my friend should tell me that. We had some fun for a couple of weeks where we were telling her that we were thinking of calling him after our Dads John and Aiden and were thinking of combining them. The steam was coming out of her ears. Our Dads have totally different names btw.

was she pregnant at the time?
    i know theres some names we all like but crikey... its not a copywright issue, lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

I have been in this situation with my sis in law. Told her that I loved a certain name and my first daughter would have it. She then got pregnant and called the baby that name. Was shocked that she couldnt think of a name herself, but Im glad now as the names suits her and there are millions of them out there now.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Wouldn't bother me, to be honest. It's not like they're going to be the only one with "x" name, are they? I know what I'd like to think I might call my children, if I have any, but that could change completely based on meeting the right person and their views on the issue, and on whether I (we?) think the name suits said children when (if?) they arrive.

A friend wouldn't tell anyone what she wanted to call her baby while she was pregnant in case someone "stole" her name. The name she ultimately chose is very ordinary, I just don't understand that kind of thing. I appreciate it was her prerogative, but at the same time, it's not like she had something amazingly unique in mind!

What's mean about it?

There obviously going to me a lot more than one, two or even 50 people (babies or adults) with the same name, so what does it matter if your friend/cousin/family member/whoever chooses *that* name?

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

We have a boys name already picked. Its extremely unusual, but I wont be telling anyone until we have a boy to name. Not because I'm worried someone will copy us, but I just could not stand everyone spouting their opinions etc. We both like it and thats all that matters. No girls name yet, but we know the middle name that we will have, which is the name of a family member who passed on. We are hopefully starting our family as soon as the lazyass stork gets a move on so hopefully it wont be long until I can use the names.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I'd not, same with friends and their babies. In my extended family, there are at least two sets of cousins who have the same first name, on facebook, they are differentiated by their middle names. In the older generation, there are LOADS of Mary's, Peters, etc etc.
    If people want to call their babies a certain name, then they should just go ahead imo.

Nope, not at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

If it'd bother you so much then don't announce to people your favourite names.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

lots of fathers and sons have the same name, I have first cousins with the same name because the were called after their grandfather. It was common years ago to keep the names.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement