Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

He's in the states...the luck **** :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,218 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Just checking ebay and my US Demons Souls Deluxe Edition appears to be rather valuable for some reason.

Did anyone double dip on the US Deluxe and the Euro Black Phantom Edition? Can they confirm the two guides were different?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

Hehe, I played this yesterday. :P (Someone I know got it early). I've tried not to read much about the game or watch many videos, so I'm glad to play it and see that... it's like Demon's Souls... but better!

The controls are tighter and movement is slightly more fluid. I love the way it manages to add more colour and life to the formula, whilst remaining bleak and having that sense of foreboding.

I only played the start really, but already I could tell that it's more forgiving in some ways and much more punishing in others. Even enemies near the first proper bonfire can kick your arse.

The animations on some of the enemies are fantastic too.

Ah, I can't wait for Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Xyo

This is the reply I got when I enquired about whether I would get dark souls on the Friday.

Hi,

We Guarantee all express delivery orders to be delivered for the day of release if not beforehand. We will also move mountains to have the standard delivery orders delivered for the day of release. Should you require any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us.

Have a lovely day!

Kind Regards,
    Rebecca.

Xyo wrote: »
    This is the reply I got when I enquired about whether I would get dark souls on the Friday.

Hi,

We Guarantee all express delivery orders to be delivered for the day of release if not beforehand. We will also move mountains to have the standard delivery orders delivered for the day of release. Should you require any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us.

Have a lovely day!

Kind Regards,
    Rebecca.

She sounds hot.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Moving mountains? Hardcore.

Xyo wrote: »

Hi,

Have a lovely day!

Kind Regards,
    Rebecca.

Word for word what i got back as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

I got the same email too

Kiith wrote: »
    Word for word what i got back as well.
    Spunge wrote: »
    I got the same email too

The whore!

*I am not really calling Gamestop employees whores.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,942 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

i preordered with gamestop too, but standard delivery. do they normally send an email when the item is dispatched ?

i would like to get it for the weekend but would not be too dissapointed as the rugby is on saturday morning and a birthday party saturday night so i will be mostly drunk all weekend :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Rebecca better get her sh1t together and get those games shippin yo, I have a meal planned for tomorrow night that I need to cancel if this arrives in the morrning!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭moonboy52

Came across a mini-guide for Dark souls. It is a preview of the full guide i believe.

Here is the link:

http://www.4shared.com/document/BHEtd800/Dark_Souls_-_FuturePress_Offic.html

moonboy52 wrote: »
    Came across a mini-guide for Dark souls. It is a preview of the full guide i believe.

Here is the link:

http://www.4shared.com/document/BHEtd800/Dark_Souls_-_FuturePress_Offic.html

I thought we were getting the full guide (the one which is available to buy now) as a download.

Would be sad if they download only gets you the mini-guide.

Would make sense though.

noodler wrote: »
    I thought we were getting the full guide (the one which is available to buy now) as a download.

Would be sad if they download only gets you the mini-guide.

Would make sense though.

I thought we were getting the full guide too.

But the PDF would be all over the internet in seconds, so giving us a teaser PDF makes sense, at least until someone scans in the full guide.:P

Not sure what Future Press guides are like, shame Piggyback aren't doing it cos there ones are class.

Must stop reading guide! Too much hype! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

I dunno which version to get - PS3 or Xbox 360 - aghhhhhh!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Guys i admit to not watching this game too closely ,i rarely buy console games but this certainly is appealing but i dont want to buy something thats over quickly.
    Im just wondering how big the game world is etc?
    Are we talking similar to what we expect with skyrim?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Dcully wrote: »
    Guys i admit to not watching this game too closely ,i rarely buy console games but this certainly is appealing but i dont want to buy something thats over quickly.

You will do well to have this game finished before skyrim comes out.
    Seriously, it's a time sink.
    Apparently it's 100 hours to complete, then there is the joy of NG+.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If it's anything like Demon's souls it won't be over quickly. My first play through of DS took 60 hours. After that there's a new game+ with harder enemies each time and I also started a magic orientated character. You can easily sink about 200 hours in Demon's Souls. I also usually never replay games due to having such a backlog but for DS it was so good I made an exception.

• Advertisement

It's definitely a time sink. I've 3 characters, two of them with 30+ hours on them. And that's nothing compared to what a lot of people put in. From the looks of things, it's even bigger this time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Play shipped my copy today. 3-5 working days so it probably won't arrive til next week, but I suppose that's the price of ordering online

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Dcully wrote: »

I'd 200+ plus hours on 1 game save, i also bought the asian, us an EU versions of demons souls and dark souls is meant to be bigger. The thing with demons souls was that it wasn't too big, its that there was so many different ways of playing it and then you get into the online side of it. a mage playthrough is totally different to a knight playthrough, each class\build uses\needs different tactics. Then there was NG+ which kicked you in nuts and laughed at you for thinking you were tough for finishing it. Don't get me started on world tendencies which kinda made 1 level into 3 levels(hard to explain).

Skyrim is a huge world that will take time to discover everything, dark souls\demons souls is a decent ennough sized world with a hundred ways to play\finish it and of course its bloody tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Crucifix wrote: »
    Play shipped my copy today. 3-5 working days so it probably won't arrive til next week, but I suppose that's the price of ordering online

Play good luck with 3-4 days delivery. They're brutal for games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

From my experience it should arrive this day week.

Why did you order from Play?

50e on their site compared to 42 delivered from Gamestop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

noodler wrote: »
    Why did you order from Play?

50e on their site compared to 42 delivered from Gamestop.

Aaaannnnd, Gamestop take laser which is pure win IMO! Still waiting on my dispatch email though!

We should have a competition to see who lasts the longest before dying.

I am really looking forward to Dark Souls i must say.

I loved Demon Souls (at least most of the time:P). I do enjoy a good challenge in games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

So to get a bit of discussion going with the more experienced souls players here what build are you planning on going?

WARNING: stat / class / weapon upgrade spoilers ahead, albeit very minor but don't read on if you literally want to know nothing about the game!!

With the changes to stats the cookie cutter DS builds won't be the same anymore. DEX increases movement speed while STR increases attack speed. FAI is pretty much unchanged. I shall be planning on going heavy melee. Starting out as a turtle pumping VIT + END and getting just enough in STR/DEX for my minimum weapon requirements as I plan on making a Thunder weapon as soon as possible as it doesen't scale with stats like Dragon Weapons in DS.

Once my VIT + END are high enough (40 + 40) I will likely focus on STR as my main attack damage stat as I never made a STR build in DS and I like the idea that high STR builds can use the great swords / axes (Quite a few uniques now) but can now also use smaller weapons extremely fast due to the changes.

Second Chance is back but requires 20 FAI this time so I will leave that decision until last before I raise my faith at all.

High END will help with equip burden as there are now 4 levels of movement/roll speed (>25/50/75/100 burden) but the introduction of hyper armour now means it's not useless anymore so it will probably be a good idea to swap between heavy and light armour depending on boss mechanics.

Going to start with Bandit as it has the highest STR but lowest INT and I plan on leaving INT at base so it's the best choice for min/maxing later on!!

TUTORIAL:
    Going to choose Firebombs as my gift so I can kill the Asylum Demon and get his hammer as im going a STR build and it requires 46 to use. Only time you can get it in the game also!!

So anyone else thought about their build in an insane amount of detail like this?? :p

Advertisement