Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Mickeroo wrote:
    Any embers you find just give to whichever blacksmith will take them. Which one do you have? My memory is a bit hazy but I think they usually unlock the ability to upgrade a weapon past a certain level or enchant/upgrade elemental weapons.

So it doesn't matter which blacksmith, they can all do the same depending on what titanite you have? Its the second one I got in the game after the butterfly.
    The first let me level past 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

sweetie wrote: »
    So it doesn't matter which blacksmith, they can all do the same depending on what titanite you have? Its the second one I got in the game after the butterfly.
    The first let me level past 5.

I don't think thats actually correct - for example only the giant blacksmith in anor londo can make the Boss soul weapons. and you might have to go to a different blacksmith to level up your weapon to the max level before it can be combined with a boss soul.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,143 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Yeah only one blacksmith will take a particular ember from what I remember, so there's no way you can give it to the wrong one or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

You've the Divine Ember sticker, I think the huge Hairy Guy under the Gargoyles is the one who takes that Ember.

There's 7 embers iirc, and 4 blacksmiths. Each Blacksmith takes a certain ember, though really the Large Ember and the Very Large ember are the only two worth worrying about

Large Ember goes to the hairy guy and is found in
    The Depths

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

IIRC the blacksmiths are as follows:

- Andre: Located in Undead Parish, takes Large, Very Large, Raw, Divine, Very Large Divine and Dark Embers
    - Giant Blacksmith: Located in Anor Londo, crafts Boss Weapons, takes Crystal Ember and can upgrade weapons with Lightning without Embers
    - Rickert: Located in New Londo Ruins, takes Enchanted Ember and Large Magic Ember and can upgrade weapons with basic Magic without Embers
    - Vamos: Located in the Catacombs, takes Very Large Flame and Chaos Embers and can uprade weapons with basic Fire without Embers

• Advertisement

I still have to meet Vamos after about 5 playthroughs :p There is a Dark Ember sorry... Never used it though

I still have to meet Vamos after about 5 playthroughs :p There is a Dark Ember sorry... Never used it though

Neither have I but apparently Occult weapons are good against Black/Silver Knights and Gwyn. They may also be good against the other 4 major bosses (Nito, Seath etc) but not 100% sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Finally finished this on PC this week after owning it on the PS3 and getting as far as Anor Londo thinking I must be nearly done but giving up. How wrong I was!

Onto NG+ at SL90 +5 Upgraded Chaos Flame, +5 Queelags Furysword, +14Uchi, +5 Lightning Washing pole and +14 Longbow and +5 Medium weight Armor. Running a Dex build with Pyromancy. Managed to finish off all bosses(Including the dragon DLC optional boss who was not fun). Fairing out quiet well with getting Invaded in NG+, chaos Pyromancy spells are Invaluable!

Cravez wrote: »
    Neither have I but apparently Occult weapons are good against Black/Silver Knights and Gwyn. They may also be good against the other 4 major bosses (Nito, Seath etc) but not 100% sure.

Skill works too :p Must do another run after my exams.

Doesn't Occult completely nerf scaling? More so than other elements? Open to correction there though

Haha true

Yep the faith scaling for occult is worse than divine but I think the trade off is that Knights and certain bosses receive a damage bonus from it.

But never used it really, once you have a highly upgrade normal weapon you don't even really need to infuse a weapon or just use resins. Even the occult club you get in Anor Londo I usually downgrade it to Divine to use against the skeletons in Nito's boss room.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭daUbiq

Skill works too :p Must do another run after my exams.

Doesn't Occult completely nerf scaling? More so than other elements? Open to correction there though

Occult generally scales better with high faith and is particularly effective against some enemies such as ornstein and smough...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

You've the Divine Ember sticker, I think the huge Hairy Guy under the Gargoyles is the one who takes that Ember.

There's 7 embers iirc, and 4 blacksmiths. Each Blacksmith takes a certain ember, though really the Large Ember and the Very Large ember are the only two worth worrying about

Large Ember goes to the hairy guy and is found in
    The Depths

No Chaos Flame Ember. Do you even git gud?

Blightown was grand but Sen's fortress can piss right off. The mimic didn't even drop the lightning spear. That bonfire shall be mine tonight I tells ya.

Blightown was grand but Sen's fortress can piss right off. The mimic didn't even drop the lightning spear. That bonfire shall be mine tonight I tells ya.

yeah, I found blighttown ok once you had the guys who shoot the poison darts taken care of. Sens is an area where you can have a lot of cheap feeling deaths - i.e. getting knocked off ledges or into traps.

Sens is easy once you've beaten it the first time.

Did you do upper blighttown or just the swamp?

You can forge Lightning Weapons in the next area if you want one

Sens is easy once you've beaten it the first time.

Did you do upper blighttown or just the swamp?

You can forge Lightning Weapons in the next area if you want one

I've fully explored Sen's now but the last set of pendulums got me a couple of times when I finally reached them after many attempts and frustrated me.

I've Blightown done from the depths down to Queelag / Ceaeless discharge and back to the valley of the drakes link to firelink. Haven't ventured into the great hollow much since I saw the basiliks there.

Fair play, I'm normally very patient with video games and I was ready to fcuk my controller though the telly the one and only time I've done upper Blight town.

Leave the Great Hollow until after Anor Londo. Trust me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

I can do sens fortress blind now
    but i remember the first time
    so much fecking stress :L

Fair play, I'm normally very patient with video games and I was ready to fcuk my controller though the telly the one and only time I've done upper Blight town.

Leave the Great Hollow until after Anor Londo. Trust me.

I just did a suicide run and found the first lantern easily enough and the same again until I got to the white light gate and finally reached the swamp lantern after a couple of tries. Mus thave spent 4 hrs yesterday in Sen's but at least I have everything there bar the lightning spear that didnt drop!

Lit bonfire in sen's, didn't rest, killed by lizard, back to undead parish. So annoyed!

Edit: got it next run!

• Advertisement

Lit bonfire in sen's, didn't rest, killed by lizard, back to undead parish. So annoyed!

Edit: got it next run!

Been there !!!!! forgot to sit at the fire near the black smith on my 1st run at the game and at that point you think you care about the souls you lost :D

I just did a suicide run and found the first lantern easily enough and the same again until I got to the white light gate and finally reached the swamp lantern after a couple of tries. Mus thave spent 4 hrs yesterday in Sen's but at least I have everything there bar the lightning spear that didnt drop!

that is unusual; it's always dropped for me... you killed the mimic?

daUbiq wrote:
    that is unusual; it's always dropped for me... you killed the mimic?

I tried to lure him back up to the boulder machine as he killed me a few times. I took wrong turn and stepped out in front of him and he killed me. No sign of him or his spear on restart!

I tried to lure him back up to the boulder machine as he killed me a few times. I took wrong turn and stepped out in front of him and he killed me. No sign of him or his spear on restart!

Pity, it probably dropped if the mimic died after being hit by a boulder but you also died... that's unfortunate. It's a useful weapon but there's much better.

daUbiq wrote:
    Pity, it probably dropped if the mimic died after being hit by a boulder but you also died... that's unfortunate. It's a useful weapon but there's much better.

Thing is I never got to the machine and ran into him and he killed me. Strange alright!

Thing is I never got to the machine and ran into him and he killed me. Strange alright!

When you reach the room where you can see the boulders, you follow the boulder down two ramps and take a left through a small passage where you will encounter the mimic and a lift.

What level are you? PS3 or xbox 360?

No, I definitely found him but glitched it somehow. Anyhow I got a crystal halberd from the mimic in anor londo! :( In Ariamis now, having the crack! On 360 btw

No, I definitely found him but glitched it somehow. Anyhow I got a crystal halberd from the mimic in anor londo! :( In Ariamis now, having the crack! On 360 btw

Ariamis is cool, one of my favourite parts of the game. visually beautiful in a broken down ruin sort of way.

Reached O&S tonight. One try and out. Finally got a lightning weapon, demon spear, think I'll level it up a bit and try tip away at them. What a game!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Reached O&S tonight. One try and out. Finally got a lightning weapon, demon spear, think I'll level it up a bit and try tip away at them. What a game!

O&S on your 1st attempt? What sorcery is this!

Advertisement