Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

What were you doing that got you those levels so early? I only had about 25 vitality, 30 endurance, and 40 strength when I fought them two.

Early? I've about 45 hours logged so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Early? I've about 45 hours logged so far?

I guess if you're taking your time it might be easier to level up. I had about 22-23 hours clocked when I reached them so assumed you'd be about the same.

I guess if you're taking your time it might be easier to level up. I had about 22-23 hours clocked when I reached them so assumed you'd be about the same.

I reckon I've made a mistake typing ny stats in my earlier post, vitality should be 35, not 75.

Yeah I'm taking my time, I'm also gathering lots of advice from this thread and the wiki online so I'm probably not missing out on a ton of stuff. That being said, just before I finished up for the night, I got mauled by a boar in anor londo, so you're never invincible.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Ye may hate me, and ye may never believe me, but I just took down orstien and smough solo.

On my first go. :-)

My heart is pounding in my chest here!
    I will admit that I'd seen the best way to do it in a YouTube vid beforehand though.

Then it wasn't really your first try then, was it?

That's sort of like looking up the answer to a maths problem, and "getting it right" on your first try. If the maths problem had a spear. Wait......:p

• Advertisement

Kirby wrote: »
    Then it wasn't really your first try then, was it?

That's sort of like looking up the answer to a maths problem, and "getting it right" on your first try. If the maths problem had a spear. Wait......:p

True enough, and I'm the first to admit that I did check a vid beforehand, I still feel incredibly lucky to have done it first go around. , My gaming time is limited, and after my spending the best part of 3 hours getting past the silver archers earlier, I was anticipating O&S being the point where I threw my hat at the game as a whole. The web in general has these two hyped to the max so my fear of failure was high.

anyway, ye cant judge me - ye're just people on the internet! :p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

True enough, and I'm the first to admit that I did check a vid beforehand, I still feel incredibly lucky to have done it first go around. , My gaming time is limited, and after my spending the best part of 3 hours getting past the silver archers earlier, I was anticipating O&S being the point where I threw my hat at the game as a whole. The web in general has these two hyped to the max so my fear of failure was high.

anyway, ye cant judge me - ye're just people on the internet! :p:p

Not to take away from your victory but, for me going into that fight blind was one of my favourite moments. 'Oh **** oh **** oh **** oh ****...WAIT, there's two?!?!' Then because I was in awe of the boss fight I stood at the fog wall and got shanked from behind through the fog wall from the big knights I'd legged it passed. Hahaha, oh I love it. Masochism at its finest.

Not to take away from your victory but, for me going into that fight blind was one of my favourite moments. 'Oh **** oh **** oh **** oh ****...WAIT, there's two?!?!' Then because I was in awe of the boss fight I stood at the fog wall and got shanked from behind through the fog wall from the big knights I'd legged it passed. Hahaha, oh I love it. Masochism at its finest.

I get you completely dude, I think one of my future gaming regrets will be that I didnt play this when it was first released. The community is kind of quiet online now that pretty much eerything has been discovered. It must have been great back in the day. I'd heard about theses bosses in passing long before I ever got a copy of the game free on games with gold.

I'm seriously considering picking up a ps4 after christmas in time for Bloodborne.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Randall Floyd

O&S took me an entire day to beat, I seriously considered throwing in the towel several times, and even when I did beat them the sly strategy I used left me feeling like a bit of a cheat :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

O&S took me an entire day to beat, I seriously considered throwing in the towel several times, and even when I did beat them the sly strategy I used left me feeling like a bit of a cheat :D

To be fair, facing two of Lordran's strongest warriors against you at the same time is unfair as it is so any tactic against them should suit ;)

• Advertisement

I get you completely dude, I think one of my future gaming regrets will be that I didnt play this when it was first released.

Same here, I bought the game in 2012 but after initally playing about 10 minutes of the Undead Asylum I shelved it for about half a year. Played it again and completely regretted not playing it sooner.

Cravez wrote: »
    Same here, I bought the game in 2012 but after initally playing about 10 minutes of the Undead Asylum I shelved it for about half a year. Played it again and completely regretted not playing it sooner.

I was worse, I actually put off buying the game, even when it was on sale for as little as a fiver, such was the talk of its difficulty. If It hadn't been free on games with gold, chances are I never would have played it. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I was worse, I actually put off buying the game, even when it was on sale for as little as a fiver, such was the talk of its difficulty. If It hadn't been free on games with gold, chances are I never would have played it. :o

I got it full price day of release and it sat there unopened until this time last year :(

I prefer to think of it as having been sat there on the shelf covered in dust maturing like fine wine :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

I bought it soon after release to fill the gap until Skyrim was released. It completely ruined Skyrim for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Same boat as Cravez, tried it, hated it. Tried it again months later and loved it! I didn't play it blind though, and that is a massive regret of mine :/

I think what made me shelve it first was the fact it was poorly optimised. When I heard the news of DSFix I tried that and booted it up again and then started enjoying it when I reached Undead Burg and realising how complex and open the game was.

Maybe I mentioned it here already?? Many may know or not that I am an achievements man and completionist to a slightly lesser degree and love stats,

I was looking through Trueachievments stats recently for Dark Souls to see how all the new starts with it being free impacted the TA ratio on the game, not as much as I would have expected which made me think it's reputation but many off starting it. Only increased by 200 TA points.

For getting all achievemnts 61,349 tracked gamers have this game, 5,396 have completed it (8.80%) - Note this is only those signed up to TA

Compare this with Reach Anor Londo achievement - Unlocked by 19,319 tracked gamers (31% - TA Ratio = 1.78)

2/3 of people quit before or during Sens :eek:

Now people on TA in general tend to be more hardcore gamers overall I would guess that for wider gaming pubic with the game that % would be much higher, I'd love to see the figure for everyone on all platforms not making it to Anor Londo.

I said before Anor Londo was the hump of the game I had to get over , but look at the numbers on TA for Ring the Bell (Undead Church) - Unlocked by 26,950 tracked gamers (44% - TA Ratio = 1.51)

Less than half of all player on TA made it passed the Gargoyles :eek:

SO how did this affact dark souls 2 you ask ?????? 13,171 tracked gamers have this game, 1,944 have completed it (14.76%)

Tbh, getting cursed in depths had me addled at the time, blighttown wasn't a picnic either, especially the swamp leading to queelag.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

calex71 wrote: »
    Maybe I mentioned it here already?? Many may know or not that I am an achievements man and completionist to a slightly lesser degree and love stats,

I was looking through Trueachievments stats recently for Dark Souls to see how all the new starts with it being free impacted the TA ratio on the game, not as much as I would have expected which made me think it's reputation but many off starting it. Only increased by 200 TA points.

For getting all achievemnts 61,349 tracked gamers have this game, 5,396 have completed it (8.80%) - Note this is only those signed up to TA

Compare this with Reach Anor Londo achievement - Unlocked by 19,319 tracked gamers (31% - TA Ratio = 1.78)

2/3 of people quit before or during Sens :eek:

Now people on TA in general tend to be more hardcore gamers overall I would guess that for wider gaming pubic with the game that % would be much higher, I'd love to see the figure for everyone on all platforms not making it to Anor Londo.

I said before Anor Londo was the hump of the game I had to get over , but look at the numbers on TA for Ring the Bell (Undead Church) - Unlocked by 26,950 tracked gamers (44% - TA Ratio = 1.51)

Less than half of all player on TA made it passed the Gargoyles :eek:

SO how did this affact dark souls 2 you ask ?????? 13,171 tracked gamers have this game, 1,944 have completed it (14.76%)

Not really surprised tbh, I think it's a great game and its nice to have a game that is completely open in which you can do almost anything in any order you want.

However, it took this idea to unnecessary levels whereby I genuinely did not know what was the objective of the game and where would be best to go. Critically, this happened right at the beginning of the game (after the crow drops you off) just when your first impression of the game is being formed and what decides whether you'll give it your time or not.

Add to that the fact that most gamers aren't perhaps as hardcore as the likes of yourself wanting to explore a game to the last and instead looking to relax and spend a few hours a week playing something, then the prospect of spending frustrating hour after frustrating hour just figuring what you're meant to be doing in the game (never mind the unforgiving nature of the game itself) isn't all that appealing.

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Not really surprised tbh, I think it's a great game and its nice to have a game that is completely open in which you can do almost anything in any order you want.

However, it took this idea to unnecessary levels whereby I genuinely did not know what was the objective of the game and where would be best to go. Critically, this happened right at the beginning of the game (after the crow drops you off) just when your first impression of the game is being formed and what decides whether you'll give it your time or not.

Add to that the fact that most gamers aren't perhaps as hardcore as the likes of yourself wanting to explore a game to the last and instead looking to relax and spend a few hours a week playing something, then the prospect of spending frustrating hour after frustrating hour just figuring what you're meant to be doing in the game (never mind the unforgiving nature of the game itself) isn't all that appealing.

thats true, but imagine then this being released in a time without ready access to internet :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,238 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

thats true, but imagine then this being released in a time without ready access to internet :eek:

true,

without internet forums there is no way i would have stuck with it to the end. I did not go overboard looking up stuff, but when i was getting pissed off with an area i did look up what to do or where to go

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

True, it's one of the only games where I found a guide actually made the game much more enjoyable. Just to get me going of course :pac:

And yeah without the internet I'd say the official guide would've sold loooooads

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭p38

Managed to take down pinwheel last night just ran at it and whaled on it. what id like to know is after defeating pinwheel a message came up about kindling clicked button A before i looked at it i think it mentioned something about not being able to kindle because of the level i am, currently level 40. On another subject "Tomb of the Giants" Holy S##t the big skeletons in the dark this is going to be fun

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

p38 wrote: »
    Managed to take down pinwheel last night just ran at it and whaled on it. what id like to know is after defeating pinwheel a message came up about kindling clicked button A before i looked at it i think it mentioned something about not being able to kindle because of the level i am, currently level 40. On another subject "Tomb of the Giants" Holy S##t the big skeletons in the dark this is going to be fun

Means you can now kindle other bonfires past giving you 5 estus flasks like the one in firelink which gives you 10, you just need humanity to do it I'm not sure what level soul wise you have to be though.

You're way underpowered to be in the Tomb of the Giants tbh that's someplace you don't need to go until way later, or at least have a light casting spell.

krudler wrote: »
    Means you can now kindle other bonfires past giving you 5 estus flasks like the one in firelink which gives you 10, you just need humanity to do it I'm not sure what level soul wise you have to be though.

You're way underpowered to be in the Tomb of the Giants tbh that's someplace you don't need to go until way later, or at least have a light casting spell.

Thought as much fell in the dark and managed to get the skull lantern but the lost girls former bodyguards made short work of me. I decided to buy the Armour set off the guy in the Depths is it any good or have I just wasted a lot of souls.

You can use the Rite of Kindling from Level 1, there is no level cap. But yeah, leave the Tomb of the Giants till after Anor Londo!

Just realised i put a bit to much information into my post hope i havent spoilt the game for other newbies will watch what i post from now on

krudler wrote: »

There should be something there stopping him getting to
    Nito
    like in other areas no ? can't say I ever went that route from the outset before getting the
    lord vessel

Nito
    like in other areas no ? can't say I ever went that route from the outset before getting the
    lord vessel

Yeah the Green Fog wall is there, on the ledge Leroy invades on.

Stupid Silver Knights making me stupid rage quit.... Stupid stupid..... Bastards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Nito
    lord vessel

Actally yeah no point going down there until after Anor Londo. I hated that area, there and Blightown, ugh

Advertisement