Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,968 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

you can also look at the speedrun videos, it's possible to get to the bottom in about 1 min from the time crossing the bridge in valley of the drakes. just need enough vitality or the spell for taking less/no damage from falling

that takes the fun out of it a bit though

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

2smiggy wrote: »
    you can also look at the speedrun videos, it's possible to get to the bottom in about 1 min from the time crossing the bridge in valley of the drakes. just need enough vitality or the spell for taking less/no damage from falling

that takes the fun out of it a bit though

I tried that a few times can never get the jump timing right though, i usually roll down the openings instead of using the ladders and once you're near the big wheel it's easy peasy, over to the bonfire, get whatserface to invade, batter her, summon a human, summon herself at the fog gate then smashy smashy. Into the demon ruins then for the gold hemmed set back to Firelink for a pint until it all blows over.

New trailer for DS2 is up. I really just can't wait for it!!! I don't know which would be better; to go in blind for my first playthrough, or to post in here and read how other people are getting on too. They both have their ups and downs... :confused:

I think the shared experience and giving others tips is all part of why the online aspect of it works so well. I genuinely can't wait to have that feeling of dread going down some steps not knowing what's around the corner or hearing some..thing off in the distance and wondering what it is. And running away, so much running away.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭saidinmilamber

krudler wrote: »
    I think the shared experience and giving others tips is all part of why the online aspect of it works so well. I genuinely can't wait to have that feeling of dread going down some steps not knowing what's around the corner or hearing some..thing off in the distance and wondering what it is. And running away, so much running away.

Yeah, I think that's the best thing about the Dark Souls community. A game over 2 years old with this level of fan input is pretty unique!

VaatiVidya is after putting up three great videos in the last few days too! I'm defo running a sorcery build after seeing that you can aim sorceries now like a bow!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Just at the Lost Izalith 2nd Bonfire with my Level 85 Dex/Faith build now if there's anyone on Xbox that could help with the Bed of Chaos. I hate fighting that thing alone :( . My gamertag is DARK SUN PETER.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Ah definitely gonna try that way so! I have the master key (thank fook) so in Firelink, I take that elevator down and look for the New Londo Ruins.

The only problem with going that way in your first playthrough is that you'll miss out on The Depths and most of Blighttown, you can still explore them but there's no real reason to other than looking for equipment. Most people don't like either area but if you're looking to experience the whole game then I'd advise going the Depths route

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Just at the Lost Izalith 2nd Bonfire with my Level 85 Dex/Faith build now if there's anyone on Xbox that could help with the Bed of Chaos. I hate fighting that thing alone :( . My gamertag is DARK SUN PETER.

It's ok I managed to beat the bastard :pac:

Yeah, I think that's the best thing about the Dark Souls community. A game over 2 years old with this level of fan input is pretty unique!

Definitely, and it's cool seeing new players still buying it, I only got into it a couple of months ago, extremely late to the party, and it's fun helping people out in places and boss battles that were so daunting back then. There's tons of replay factor as well between the different classed, covenants, NPCs you missed etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Bed of Chaos is just head wrecking. The randomness of the attacks and the long run up each time you fail :mad:

penev10 wrote: »
    Bed of Chaos is just head wrecking. The randomness of the attacks and the long run up each time you fail :mad:

Ugh yeah, I died the most on it's last section, including doing an overzealous roll straight into a hole in front of it, was raging, then having to trek back and leg through all the stuff on the way, sigh... Killing that thing was supremely satisfying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭OdgeXD

Use the firebomb lobbing technique, ****s easy

• Registered Users Posts: 29,488 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Went back to the Undead Asylum and got the crest shield and Rust ring. Avoided the boss for now. I would have never guessed you would have to pretend to be an egg for 30 seconds to get back there! Went to the Depths and rescued the Pyromancy chap, learned Fireball and then Fire Orb. Haven't tested these out on enemies but are these like firebombs or do they have a bit of range on them?

Next up, I'm taking the shortcut under firelink to Blightown.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭OdgeXD

Went back to the Undead Asylum and got the crest shield and Rust ring. Avoided the boss for now. I would have never guessed you would have to pretend to be an egg for 30 seconds to get back there! Went to the Depths and rescued the Pyromancy chap, learned Fireball and then Fire Orb. Haven't tested these out on enemies but are these like firebombs or do they have a bit of range on them?

Next up, I'm taking the shortcut under firelink to Blightown.

You should talk to him again and upgrade your pyromancy. Imo it's more helpful and important than upgrading loads of weapons.

Jesus don't go skipping a whole area on your first playthrough just because people have said it's not a good area. What's the point in that? There's too much hand holding going on here!

Yeah if you're already in the Depths then you're as will to carry on to Blighttown from there, the shortcuts are handy but on a first playthrough you're better experiencing the whole game instead of skipping on entire areas, takes half the challenge out of the game otherwise

Well I went back Firelink to learn the fireballs, I really like that you have a set number of uses between bonfires, but yeah fair enough. I would have missed that guy taking the shortcut. Plus I have the ring now which I'm guessing will come in handy in the swampy parts. Wish I had a week off to just play this straight, such a great game.

OdgeXD wrote: »
    You should talk to him again and upgrade your pyromancy. Imo it's more helpful and important than upgrading loads of weapons.

Jesus don't go skipping a whole area on your first playthrough just because people have said it's not a good area. What's the point in that? There's too much hand holding going on here!

The other side of Blightown is worth getting the Power Within spell from alright, even if it is an absolute pain in the ass.

Well I went back Firelink to learn the fireballs, I really like that you have a set number of uses between bonfires, but yeah fair enough. I would have missed that guy taking the shortcut. Plus I have the ring now which I'm guessing will come in handy in the swampy parts. Wish I had a week off to just play this straight, such a great game.

The ring is essential for the swampy bits, you can barely move in it otherwise, with the ring you can run as normal. There's loads of hidden areas and illusiory walls down there too, explore around just make sure you've tons of moss and decent poison resist armor, if you got the thief set near the Capra Demon I think that has decent poison resist.

Got the thief armour, didn't know it had poison resist though, will throw that on. Also, I don't mind the hand holding as I'm a noob to the series (never finished Demons Souls). Didn't even know about the hidden bonfire in darkroot garden until I looked it up, game illusory walls! Now I'm swinging my sword at everything just in case. Will definitely be getting Dark Souls 2 now and will be on the same level as ye, no safety net :)

Got the thief armour, didn't know it had poison resist though, will throw that on. Also, I don't mind the hand holding as I'm a noob to the series (never finished Demons Souls). Didn't even know about the hidden bonfire in darkroot garden until I looked it up, game illusory walls! Now I'm swinging my sword at everything just in case. Will definitely be getting Dark Souls 2 now and will be on the same level as ye, no safety net :)

To check armor stats go into the inventory and highlight it and press square I think, it'll tell you what it has damage and resistance wise. you can mix and match different things to bump up stats, I like the crimson robes you'll find those not too far into Blightown, light but good and you look badass. Some people have funny looking setups, you'd often summon another player and they'd be in their jocks and a helmet lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

krudler wrote: »
    you'd often summon another player and they'd be in their jocks and a helmet lol

They be hatin' dem fat rollz

Relevant story actually, myself and a mate were helping his brother get into Dark Souls. He had us both summoned in Undead Burg and he got invaded by a Darkwraith twink. Dickwraith see's us and un-equips his Dark Armor down to his loin cloth. All three of us go nude to our loins as well and we had an epic 3 vs 1 bare fist match. I think if any other person managed to invade and saw us they would have NOPED right out of there.

• Advertisement

They be hatin' dem fat rollz

Relevant story actually, myself and a mate were helping his brother get into Dark Souls. He had us both summoned in Undead Burg and he got invaded by a Darkwraith twink. Dickwraith see's us and un-equips his Dark Armor down to his loin cloth. All three of us go nude to our loins as well and we had an epic 3 vs 1 bare fist match. I think if any other person managed to invade and saw us they would have NOPED right out of there.

Ha, love that kind of stuff, or when you get summoned and people spend ages exchanging gestures. Even though it's a balls being invaded it can be hilarious as well. You can get invaded at any time in Dark Souls 2, hollow or no hollow, that's gonna be interesting..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Just coming to the end of my first play through (i think) Turned it off outside the door to Nito last night. Any tips before i venture forth tonight?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,148 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

weiland79 wrote: »
    Just coming to the end of my first play through (i think) Turned it off outside the door to Nito last night. Any tips before i venture forth tonight?

Bring a divine weapon, hang back near the door so you don't agro the giant skeletons and take out the smaller skeletons first. Nito's also weak to fire, firestorm will mess him up pretty well if you have it.

There's a pillar/rock formation thing in the room you fight him try keep it between you and him, oh and you need a divine weapon for the beginning, there's a couple of skeletons that keep respawning making the fight harder so take them out first so they don't regenerate.

So I get a divine weapon by getting a normal +5 weapon and give a blacksmith a divine ember to make it divine+0 and this deals magic damage? Any downside to making a divine weapon? If not, will try get my Uchigana to +5 (currently +3).

So I get a divine weapon by getting a normal +5 weapon and give a blacksmith a divine ember to make it divine+0 and this deals magic damage? Any downside to making a divine weapon? If not, will try get my Uchigana to +5 (currently +3).

Divine weapons are only needed in the Catacombs, remember the graveyard near Firelink? down there. I'd avoid making decent weapons divine tbh use something low level that you're not arsed about as you only need it for one section.
    Keep bumping the Uchi or the Balder sword, they both deal phenomenal damage once you get them past +10, I have my Uchi at +14 and the damage jumps are nuts with high dexterity.

The depths are some balls sack! Going from fire link to undead burg to depths, not finding the bonfire, was looking everywhere. Got to the boss with crocodile for a nose, killed me in 2 hits and back to firelink, sickened.

I did get a nice ring thousands of souls and a good few humanities. Also with the trek to see the boss, very impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭saidinmilamber

Make sure you've killed Paladin Leeroy. He invades near where the orange fog wall used to be on the way to Nito when you're human. He drops an awesome shield, and his armour set will be found in Nito's lair afterwards. He won't invade after you kill Nito though. Also, make sure you join the Gravelord Servant covenant before killing him if you want those miracles and the Gravelord Sword.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Make sure you've killed Paladin Leeroy. He invades near where the orange fog wall used to be on the way to Nito when you're human. He drops an awesome shield, and his armour set will be found in Nito's lair afterwards. He won't invade after you kill Nito though. Also, make sure you join the Gravelord Servant covenant before killing him if you want those miracles and the Gravelord Sword.
    Killed him but didn't join the covenant :(

Oh i am in that covenant

• Advertisement

The depths are some balls sack! Going from fire link to undead burg to depths, not finding the bonfire, was looking everywhere. Got to the boss with crocodile for a nose, killed me in 2 hits and back to firelink, sickened.

I did get a nice ring thousands of souls and a good few humanities. Also with the trek to see the boss, very impressive.

The bonfire is behind a locked door in a hallway where them slime things drop from the ceiling. Think I'm right in saying that if you go to the room you rescue Laurentius from, leave that room, follow the corridor all the way along and eventually you should come to the door. You need a key for it but if you have the master key you'll be fine

Advertisement