Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,488 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Thanks lads, ah thought it was a dead end. Would have tried harder if there was something past him. Am I close to getting the warp item to travel between bonfires? Also, yes feel free to tell me the item that makes Hydra guy easier :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,968 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

if you are just going down the depths the first time you have a fair bit to go :D:pac:

the next few areas are grim enough, and are a real relief to get out of. you then have 2 more challenging enough areas after that and possibly the toughest solo boss battle. that is if you avoid other side areas first. just a tip when you do finally clear blightown, light the bonfire near the bell , it saves alot of bother later !!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

2smiggy wrote: »
    if you are just going down the depths the first time you have a fair bit to go :D:pac:

the next few areas are grim enough, and are a real relief to get out of. you then have 2 more challenging enough areas after that and possibly the toughest solo boss battle. that is if you avoid other side areas first. just a tip when you do finally clear blightown, light the bonfire near the bell , it saves alot of bother later !!

ooooooooooooooh
    you have to have lit the bonfires for them to be warpable? this explains a lot about why random bonfires don't appear for me in different playthroughs

• Registered Users Posts: 19,968 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

ooooooooooooooh
    you have to have lit the bonfires for them to be warpable? this explains a lot about why random bonfires don't appear for me in different playthroughs

ya, I found out the hard too , now i know the quick way back down, but then i didn't , what a horrible journey to have to repeat !

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Thanks lads, ah thought it was a dead end. Would have tried harder if there was something past him. Am I close to getting the warp item to travel between bonfires? Also, yes feel free to tell me the item that makes Hydra guy easier :)

Alrighty, you know where you started, the Undead Asylum? well you can go back there. The elevator that takes you from Firelink to Undead Parish? if you get in one, and turn 180 to face the wall behind you, run towards it as the lift is going up and you drop out onto a platform with a little green area over to your right, if you look theres a pillar below you just roll off the hill to land on, make your way up and you'll see an object on the roof near you, that's the key to the asylum door, and if you keep going up you get to the crow that brought you there, stand in the next and press X and you'll wind up back at the Asylum. (youtube it probably easier to see than my half assed explanation and it'll show you where to get the ring you need to fight the Hydra without encountering too many tough enemies. It's also a necessity for Blightown.

Fcuking Blightown :mad:

• Advertisement

ooooooooooooooh

Yeah they need to be lit, found that out the hard way too :mad: With the bell one I tend to not light the bonfire in
    Blightown
    just so I can beat the boss and homeward bone back to Firelink without having to trudge back through it, that's risky though as if you die it's a pain in the hoop getting all the way back down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Anyone got tips for Sens Fortress?
    I'm a knight so the only thing I've got against the serpents throwing light night bolts is my poxy bow & arrow.
    I'm running with a halberd +10. Is there any other weapon that could make this level easier?

Thanks

krudler wrote: »
    Alrighty, you know where you started, the Undead Asylum? well you can go back there. The elevator that takes you from Firelink to Undead Parish? if you get in one, and turn 180 to face the wall behind you, run towards it as the lift is going up and you drop out onto a platform with a little green area over to your right, if you look theres a pillar below you just roll off the hill to land on, make your way up and you'll see an object on the roof near you, that's the key to the asylum door, and if you keep going up you get to the crow that brought you there, stand in the next and press X and you'll wind up back at the Asylum. (youtube it probably easier to see than my half assed explanation and it'll show you where to get the ring you need to fight the Hydra without encountering too many tough enemies. It's also a necessity for Blightown.

Fcuking Blightown :mad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oH6TRHRp2zs

or just watch this video

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,148 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I'm a knight so the only thing I've got against the serpents throwing light night bolts is my poxy bow & arrow.
    I'm running with a halberd +10. Is there any other weapon that could make this level easier?

Thanks

The bow should be good for taking them out from where hey can't get to you, other than that try and use the traps to your advantage. Aggro them so they have to try and get past pendulums to get to you etc.

Thanks

Sen's Super Funhouse is a great but annoying section. The very first one chucking lightning you can kill just after you enter the big main chamber with the swinging scythes, he's up to the right, take him out from where you are with arrows and it makes getting across that platform easier. If you time it right and have light or no armour equipped you can right right through all the scythes without taking a hit on every platform. The rolling balls just require timing, you can change their direction once you get up further making the rest of it much easier.

• Advertisement

So a plan might be, head back to undead asylum for that ring and then fight the hydra. What location is past the Hydra? I got a bit lost and found the Capra Demon taking his Depths key but not sure where to use it. Just wondering should I continue after killing Hydra or trek back to Undead Burg?

Thanks for all the tips lads, some great advice on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭OdgeXD

Thanks

It's all trial and error but once you've figured it out you'll be sprinting through it in about 3 minutes :D

So a plan might be, head back to undead asylum for that ring and then fight the hydra. What location is past the Hydra? I got a bit lost and found the Capra Demon taking his Depths key but not sure where to use it. Just wondering should I continue after killing Hydra or trek back to Undead Burg?

Do you have the Prepare To Die edition? if so then killing the Hydra involves opening the DLC levels, if not then there's an NPC you can meet after you kill him that sells you something handy for a section much later in the game.

Honestly you can leave the Hydra until much later, do head back to the asylum as you need that ring for a section anyway. Easy way to do it is spend all your souls, leg it to the ring location and homeward bone yourself back to Firelink, the ring (as far as I remember) is past where the fog wall down to where you fought the big demon the first time is, there's a locked door in there past two hollows.

OdgeXD wrote: »
    It's all trial and error but once you've figured it out you'll be sprinting through it in about 3 minutes :D

Definitely, it seemed so daunting at first now it's a minor hurdle on the way to the boss. The only part i hate is the final walkway that's super thin and has scythes and a lightning flinging serpent on it, messed that one up a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

found the Capra Demon taking his Depths key but not sure where to use it.
    The door is near enough to the Capra. There's a shortcut back to the Firelink around there too.

penev10 wrote: »
    The door is near enough to the Capra. There's a shortcut back to the Firelink around there too.

It's around then that all the areas start to link together, the level design is amazing in that game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Did you beat the Carpa Demon? The Depths door is down the stairs to the left when you come out of the Carpa boss room.

As mentioned, there's no real need to kill the Hydra yet, you can't access the dlc until late in so if you're having trouble just move on

From where you are now, your best way forward would be Depths - Blighttown - Sens Fortress - Anor Londo, obviously you can do things however you want but in terms of progressing the story that's your best bet.

I don't have the DLC so will leave the Hydra and the crest door for a while. Yeah, beat the Carpa demon, resorted back to Drake for him. Found the shortcut back to firelink but must have missed the door for the depths. Will have a look anyway after I get the ring from undead asylum. Looking it up, sounds like blight town is swampy. Need to learn Soul Arrow as well.

I don't have the DLC so will leave the Hydra and the crest door for a while. Yeah, beat the Carpa demon, resorted back to Drake for him. Found the shortcut back to firelink but must have missed the door for the depths. Will have a look anyway after I get the ring from undead asylum. Looking it up, sounds like blight town is swampy. Need to learn Soul Arrow as well.

The Depths door is right across from the stairs to the shortcut back to Firelink, talk to the female merchant in the tunnel as well she sells some useful stuff, dont kill her because her moss is invaluable in Blightown, stock up on that stuff as everything wants to maim and poison you down there.

do you know where Blightown is? if you made it to the Valley of Drakes with the master key its across the rickety bridge you first see. It's a nightmare of an area am not gonna lie.

buy the dlc, i think it'll integrate into your current save and you wont have been able to unlock it anyway

but it's a great example of dlc done right, the locations in it are among the best in the game and it has probably the 2 best (hardest) boss fights in it

• Advertisement

buy the dlc, i think it'll integrate into your current save and you wont have been able to unlock it anyway

but it's a great example of dlc done right, the locations in it are among the best in the game and it has probably the 2 best (hardest) boss fights in it

Completely agree, it's a brilliant soul farming spot too and the
    Artorias
    fight is probably the highlight of the entire game. Such a fantastic character.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

The Artorias fight was what the Gywn fight should have been - Epic, tough and immensely satisfying to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭OdgeXD

Just ordered a mousemat with this image http://wallbase.cc/wallpaper/2081228

:D

The Depths door is right across from the stairs to the shortcut back to Firelink,

do you know where Blightown is? if you made it to the Valley of Drakes with the master key its across the rickety bridge you first see. It's a nightmare of an area am not gonna lie.

Ah yes I remember trying that door before now thanks!

I thought the Depths will lead me to Blightown? I happened upon the valley of the drakes when I was in Darkroot Basin, saw the multiple dragons and quickly turned and ran away.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭saidinmilamber

New trailer for DS2 is up. I really just can't wait for it!!! I don't know which would be better; to go in blind for my first playthrough, or to post in here and read how other people are getting on too. They both have their ups and downs... :confused:

Ah yes I remember trying that door before now thanks!

I thought the Depths will lead me to Blightown? I happened upon the valley of the drakes when I was in Darkroot Basin, saw the multiple dragons and quickly turned and ran away.

There's two entrances to Blightown, one is in the depths and is a pain in the bollocks, one is in the Valley of Drakes, when you go into the New Londo Ruins (under firelink) to the valley then across the wooden bridge and there's a big tunnel, that's the other entrance and it's much easier as the bonfire and boss are on that side. you need the master key that way though.

There's two entrances to Blightown, one is in the depths and is a pain in the bollocks, one is in the Valley of Drakes, when you go into the New Londo Ruins (under firelink) to the valley then across the wooden bridge and there's a big tunnel, that's the other entrance and it's much easier as the bonfire and boss are on that side. you need the master key that way though.

Ah definitely gonna try that way so! I have the master key (thank fook) so in Firelink, I take that elevator down and look for the New Londo Ruins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Not if you go through the Darkroot Basin tunnel I think. You can nip into Blighttown and get the key for the New Londo shortcut and then you have a nice run from the Firelink Bonfire.

The master key just gets you there quicker from the other side or if you go through Havel's door.

So many ways to go it's just mental!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

New trailer for DS2 is up. I really just can't wait for it!!! I don't know which would be better; to go in blind for my first playthrough, or to post in here and read how other people are getting on too. They both have their ups and downs... :confused:

Tough one to call alright. I played the demo at EGX back in September. The mirror knight killed me... more than once. I also got about 40 minutes in the demo weekend. Haven't looked at anything else since then, including the video you posted.

I'm going to go in blind, because that is something I most enjoyed in Dark Souls. Finding something unusual, or something that felt like you shouldn't be there. Took this approach for the most part in DS and as a result, I missed quite a bit on my first character. Never made it into that curse-frog tree of horror, or as a result, Ash Lake. Never met Dusk, never met Gwendolyn, or a few other Covenants. I did make it back to the Asylum alright, and the Painted World. What a game. Can't wait for part 2.

• Advertisement

Ah definitely gonna try that way so! I have the master key (thank fook) so in Firelink, I take that elevator down and look for the New Londo Ruins.

When you take the lift down under Firelink you're in the ruins, just go right after the drop and theres a small staircase with a gate you can unlock that brings you into the Valley of Drakes. Make sure you have plenty of purple moss or decent poison resist armour.

Advertisement