Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enda Kenny wants 5 way election debate

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭flash1080

But he is afraid of being in the same room as Gerry Adams in addition.

You're a broken record to be honest. He makes a statment today and you say "where is he".

Is he really? Most people consider Martin/Gilmore/Kenny, FF/Lab/FG, to be the main contenders so a 3-way debate makes sense.

You don't agree with my valid points so you call me a broken record, good stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭cancercowboy

Looks like Micheál Martin is scared to do a 5-way debate. What are you scared of Micheál?

Also, I wonder how many Fianna Fáil candidates are going to be knocking on doors? What are they scared of?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Manach wrote: »
    In the interests of compromise and to appeal to to-day's youth, I propose a 5-way death-match.
    Some might hint that Gerry might be good in that form of debate! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

So if the ULA have a leader put him forward.

The ULA isn't a political party but I'm sure no one would mind Joe Higgins taking part. We'll probably have more TDs than the Greens post election anyway!

Looks like Micheál Martin is scared to do a 5-way debate. What are you scared of Micheál?

Also, I wonder how many Fianna Fáil candidates are going to be knocking on doors? What are they scared of?
    I think Martin would be more sacred too, to be honest.
    I suspect he'd fear an all out verbal assault on him, airing of his own previous actions, the parties actions (or in-action on some issues) and that such a five-way might turn into a further bloodbath in bad propaganda towards the Fianna Fail image.

The least number of opposition, the more chances of containing possible opposition damage.
    ..But thats just an educated guess.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭flash1080

I call you a broken record because you just repeat the same things over and over. :D

Except I haven't repeated the same things over and over

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Misleading thread title.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

its a good thing for the Irish public, but its done for all the wrong reasons, Kenny just wants less airtime

I agree with this. Out of the useless bunch I'd now vote for FG but Kenny seems to be trying pretty hard to remove that option. He hasn't been impressive any time I've seen him in the media recently.

I think having a 5 party debate is a good thing, if only to get some answers from all party's but I think FG are doing it as a tactical move to either get votes from FF to SF or to give each leader less airtime in general.
    Misleading thread title.
    Agree with that too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

If there's a 5 way debate, SF will be shown up for the economic illiterates they are, the Greens won't do well either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

flash1080 wrote: »
    Is he really? Most people consider Martin/Gilmore/Kenny, FF/Lab/FG, to be the main contenders so a 3-way debate makes sense.

You don't agree with my valid points so you call me a broken record, good stuff.

Well the Greens ought to be at the debate don't you think ? After all they have been a part of the most recent government. They have had some sway over policies etc. It just doesn't seem right to exclude them from the debate. It pains me to say it but I agree with Enda Kenny:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Again with the persona hysteria. Didn't these American style TV debates start when Bertie was in power?

I will vote for FG precisely because Enda is there. He puts, IMO, the right people in the right jobs. I much rather than than some attention seeking popularity contestant.

One of this countries many problems is voting for the candidate you'd go for a pint with :rolleyes:

This thread title is seriously misleading. If it was the three Main parties, according to opinion polls, that would be FG, Lab and SF. FF are just the political version of Liverpool.Terrible season, but think they're still part of a "Big Three".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Ciaran Lynch from Labour just lashed Fine Gael on the Last Word for not wanting a 3 way debate, saying they want to hide him.

Thread merged with "Kenny refuses Martin TV debate"

Badabing wrote: »
    Ciaran Lynch from Labour just lashed Fine Gael on the Last Word for not wanting a 3 way debate, saying they want to hide him.

Perhaps Ciaran Lynchs time would be better spent schooling Joan Burton in Labours Economics policies. Last time I heard her on Newstalk, Varadkar had to quote her chapter and verse from her own policies.

Has he a point tho?

Has he a point tho?

I've no idea whether they want to hide Kenny or not :confused:

As I've said in the past, I could care less if I never heard him speak as long as the right people are in the right places in the front bench. He's done well in rebuilding FG, I'm happy for him to try to rebuild the entire country. I could, genuinely, care less about fluff TV debates.

johngalway wrote: »
    I've no idea whether they want to hide Kenny or not :confused:

As I've said in the past, I could care less if I never heard him speak as long as the right people are in the right places in the front bench. He's done well in rebuilding FG, I'm happy for him to try to rebuild the entire country. I could, genuinely, care less about fluff TV debates.

I presume you wouldn't want Burton in the cabinet post election so? If you want him to pick the right people.

I presume you wouldn't want Burton in the cabinet post election so? If you want him to pick the right people.

I'm sure that's a matter for the Labour party to suggest whom they wish to have as their ministers in cabinet, should FG & Lab form a coalition. As far as I understand that's the way of things in coalition, that parties decide their own ministers. So it wouldn't be up to Enda who Labour want.

Which party holds what positions, I guess, is a matter for negotiation after the numbers are known.

I'm not Labours biggest fan :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Great to see a leader of Fine Gael kicking up a fuss just to get Gerry Adams included in democratic debate. How times change.

Poor John Bruton must be turning in his political grave.

• Advertisement

Biggins wrote: »
    As I said in a similar thread elsewhere...

FF definitely want Gerry Adams and SF sidelined.
    They DO NOT want to give him a platform so that he can also he equally heard - so don't be surprised when they try to exclude him, his party and the people they might represent.

Glad to see Kenny has more democratic sense and declined the three-way for favouring a five-way instead. Lord knows after 3 failed to be called by-elections, FF are not exactly as democratic as they would like to make themselves out as - and trying to possible shove a certain percentage of a people aside just because they might support a party that is not FF, leads such people then to more desperate measures to be heard!
    ...And we all know where that road leads and all peace loving people don't want that route!
    Biggins wrote: »
    Possibly or possibly not. Again I am not a Kenny fan and I too admit there are a few things about him that don't persuade me to take a liking to him - however I still think he's being politically very tactful for calling not just for a 5-way for more democratic means but maybe also for time allotment means too, if he's as bad as others would make out.

What I mean by the latter is that if he was to enter into a five-way, the focus and time of FF (and their on camera, on the spot targeting) would certainly be less and they would have to defend themselves more so than just a three-way in which they could easier confront two party leaders more directly without having the additional worry of being side ambushed/side-tracked by two additional others also.
    ...And a wise person would know this. Kenny might not know it but could have been informed as to this advantage too in the use of a five-way. Any time Kenny would have "on air" could then just just used deliberately by him more so, to stick to main points without having to have his points diluted and broken up by opposition in more air time that would be available with a three-way, rather than a five-way.

...Its all about tactics and how to use large or little air time to ones best advantage and use it too to avoid ones weaknesses.

Well it looks like I called it right this morning if going on political heads and news analysis teams have said on TV3 news and RTE news this evening.
    In conclusion, it all about tactics now and a game too now of who will cave to the others next.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭galway2007

Enda Kenny has show he's the better leader once again by ruling out a 3-way debate and instead calling for a 5-way debate, excluding no political leaders. Micheál has just been given a masterclass in one-upmanship.

Micheál has show the hubris and arrogance we've come to expect from Fianna Fail: they really do think they own the country.

This master stroke by Enda Kenny has shown that he really is Taoiseach material. The Taoiseach is a leader of the country, not just his own party. Good on him.
    lol
    Kenny can not cope with pressure
    He will be slaughter in a debate hence it is better to have 5
    When Kenny was asked on a local radion station
    Why was he hiding from the media?
    His reply was Brian o driscoll dose not take all the conversion for Ireland
    I give up this idiot dose not even know who kicks conversion for Ireland on the rugby field and he want to run the country

galway2007 wrote: »
    I give up this idiot dose not even know who kicks conversion for Ireland on the rugby field and he want to run the country

What's that got to do with running the country? :confused:

I don't know who takes free kicks for Galway, but I can do my day job.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭galway2007

he allso said that gilmore will turn up for the debate so it look like 2 way debate
    If kenny dose not turn up he is ****ed
    I have to ask how dose FG **** up every election race?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Jeboa Safari

galway2007 wrote: »
    he allso said that gilmore will turn up for the debate so it look like 2 way debate
    If kenny dose not turn up he is ****ed
    I have to ask how dose FG **** up every election race?

I don't know if he is, for a start he'll likely be the next Taoiseach, and they're going to need him at the debate. A debate between the 2nd and 3rd/4th party won't be as appealing for the broadcaster, and Michael Martin looks like he's attempting to bully others into his own way from a position of no power, and Gilmore would probably win a debate with him fairly easy. I think he's afraid to have the Greens and SF there, because Sf will attack him from another angle, and he can't point out the ideological differences between FG and Labour with the Greens sitting beside him.
    And Enda is nearly better saying nothing at all than being crucified, although I don't think Martin is a good debater either, he's a ditherer too but wouldn't show up as much beside Kenny

• Registered Users Posts: 17,416 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Can't believe the negative press Kenny is getting for this....
    I'd expect it from RTFFE but Newstalk/Today FM was also extremely negative around lunchtime..

I think Martin wants to basically get Kenny+Gilmore together to show that their parties can't agree on policies but as Kenny said a few months ago, "labour can sod off and run their own election, we're going out for the win and so should they"...
    FG's in the lead right now so why would he risk getting ambushed by FF+Labour...

in fact the more I hear Martin the most I hate him...more arrogance from FF saying it's Kenny's obligation etc etc to attend this debate blah blah...sickening really to think I used to vote for FF years ago :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭unit 1

Yeah and most people won't see dail sessions. He has not done any interviews in the past 5 or 6 months which a large portion of people will hear, like the late late show etc.

Having a 5 way debate will inevitably mean less air time for him, and he can use more of his time to attack the policies of the other parties.

Not true. If each candidate is given the same amount on time be it a 3 way or 5 way the the amount of airtime is the same, not different.
    Frankly the idea that a party 3rd in the polls, maybe even 4th, whose taoiseach is not fit (correct) to be their leader, and who destroyed our economy should try to dictate the terms of any debate is laughable.

MM (all tea and sympathy) is quite frankly scared to positioned at his true level in a 5 way debate, about the same as SF, and opposite his previous partners the greens.
    This is the real reason why he wants to control things, because he is afraid to be seen as on par with SF, and of course Labour are also looking over their shoulder at SF too so they will also oppose the 5 way.

Kenny, again, has been on the money and I suggest anyone that thinks he will be a pushover should take another look at his head to head with bertie. History is written by the victors and rte wanting to appear to have backed the winner always slyly supported bertie. BTW in that head to head I called it as about evens untill bertie tried to trump Kennys irish with a final pathetic and contrived gorry meely my a gut.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Good move by Kenny today, and i'm not his biggest fan.

By getting in there first, it plants in the mind in the average voter that he is less afraid of competition and being challenged by other sides of the political spectrum.

Amazing, how Martin who was putting it on his best 'let's forget about the past, lads' routine yesterday after his coronation showed glimpses today of the usual paranoid, controlling, shifty FF speak. He looked a loser by comparison.

Not sure how the Irish language one will work though, as some of them seem to be more fluent than others?

Not sure how the Irish language one will work though, as some of them seem to be more fluent than others?

Yeah, when the Greens pulled out of Govt, at their press conference didn't Gormley hand over a question to Sargent after it was put to him in Irish?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

flash1080 wrote: »
    So Enda wants more leaders at the debate so there will be less focus on him, he's afraid of going head-to-head with Martin and Gilmore. Enda and FG are pathetic. I'm surprised Enda is willing to debate at all, I thought he would stay in hiding until after the election.

Yeap sure, remember when the media were salvating over the thought that Cowen would roast Enda every day in the Dail? That worked out well ..!?:rolleyes:

Advertisement