Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haven't touched a drop in...

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 134 ✭✭Librium

42 days dry, cousins christening coming up next sunday, i think I'll send a card and give it a miss, will be too much temptation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭kerryjack

2 months this is the longest spell ever in my 20 years drinking i think friends and family have got used to the idea and that's a big help you don't get that big surprised look any more or the questions you know the ones , you have all heard them, a big family wedding coming up the end of the year i am still in 2 minds will I or wont I its A bit away yet so no panic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Touching on 2 months now, off the fags aswell, vaping is pretty cool. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Northclare

Off the hooch nearly 9 years now,in two weeks time hopefully ill be sober 9 year's.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭hubba

Inspirational. Thanks Northclare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

A month and a day. It's not easy but one day at a time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Long Term Louth

Insurgent wrote: »
    A month and a day. It's not easy but one day at a time :)

The only way to do it, one day at a time and after a while the days will run into months then years, keep it going.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

My first time posting in this forum, didn't think I would be doing it 6 months ago.

Off it now for 3 and half months, I never taught I could give it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

It's been an up and down few months, since I started to cut down on the copious amount of booze I was drinking (a bottle of wine a night at home, maybe half a bottle of vodka - instead, not as well as - at the weekends, too old for the club scene!). Didn't drink at all in May, started again in June (my birthday), stopped for 2 weeks in July (then had my father's birthday and my wedding anniversary), now off it for 12 days, and intending to stay that way until November. I'm not really 'giving up' as such, I'm just trying to break the habit, and only have a drink when it's a special occasion, maybe 5 or 6 times a year. Like 'normal' people do :)

I have to say I've found it a lot easier than I expected - so long as I have a glass of something (usually water) next to me, I'm fine - got no sugar cravings (have given that up too, plus all sweeteners, am on a health kick), got no cravings at all, really. I am loving the feeling of waking up with a clear head - and I'm finding I'm sleeping a lot more deeply than I used to. It's all win!

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Ed The Equalizer

Great thread, and delighted to see a non-drinkers group in the forum!

I'm off the drink and drugs 3 years and almost 4 months. Then cigarettes a year later. Time has flown and it's been brilliant. I feel fantastic and genuinely couldn't imagine going back now.

For those who asked about non-alcoholic beer earlier in this thread... I was scared off it at the beginning but last Christmas Day there was a Swedish guy in our group for dinner who'd been sober 22 years and was having a N-A beer with his meal. So I joined him and loved it, all the nice taste of beer but none of the negatives.

I subsequently tried the blue Erdinger which tasted great and helped me enjoy the occasions when I'm in pubs and others are drinking. And in the evening I'd happily stay in and treat myself to one of those. There's also Paulaner which isn't quite as nice.

I enjoy people's company when they're drinking up to the point when they start talking sh1t and slobbering all over me... then I happily jump in the car and drive home.

The strangest experience I had was one night I was driving home from a wedding and we gave a lift to a guy who was totally stoned. He was blabbering the whole way home and after the hour journey my head was also spinning and I had to go straight to bed. It was like I'd got stoned by osmosis, or maybe from passively inhaling the hash fumes oozing from him, even though he hadn't been smoking in the car!

Sometimes after being in the pub I also feel a bit hungover going to bed, but then wake up feeling great in the morning. It all brings home to me, if I feel like that from just being around drink and drugs, what effect must it have had when I was actually drinking and drugging!

Great work everyone, keep it up!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 20 xim2

is been over 2 weeks , just came back from a sober vacation ! Fun rest and relax and ZERO alcohol yay! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

xim2 wrote: »
    is been over 2 weeks , just came back from a sober vacation ! Fun rest and relax and ZERO alcohol yay! :)

Well done xim2, whats next on your plan ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

I packed it in last week. Sick of feeling sick for a couple of days after drinking. I hope I can stay the course because when I reflected on it I came to the conclusion that alcohol adds nothing to my life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I packed it in last week. Sick of feeling sick for a couple of days after drinking. I hope I can stay the course because when I reflected on it I came to the conclusion that alcohol adds nothing to my life.

Good for you Jimmy garlic :) Lots of good reading here in this forum to advise you on your way.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

thefloss wrote: »
    The only downside is I'm spending all my time with friends and keeping fit (hit the gym, delete facebook lol) but I miss meeting the ladies... where the hell do I find them in this country outside the pub? ;)
    A bit of a cliché, but the clubs are the best for this, namely the dancing clubs (as opposed to the nightclubs). Most will have more women than men.

Congrats on being able to see that, Jimmy. And not only does it not add, but it takes, takes, takes from your life and those around you.

Best wishes, Jimmy Garlic (great name) on the fresh new life ahead of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Anotherreg

18 Days.

The longest I've gone without alcohol in over twenty years. I never considered myself to be an alcoholic, until I found this year that I was utterly incapable of stopping once I had a third drink.

At this stage I have a fear of alcohol. I'm sick to death of the days wasted. I've had at least five blackouts since Christmas, and I refuse to fool myself anymore. I am unable to have a normal relationship with alcohol, so rather than having an abusive relationship, I've given up.

I hope when I look at this thread in six days, six weeks, six months and six years that I haven't let myself down.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭JonBon27

6 months this saturday. What a journey, best thing i have ever done. Still do all the same things like going out with the lads and that. The first few times was a real struggle but now its grand. I realised very quickly there was nothing different I was doing in the night without drink, except do something stupid, have a blackout, feel like **** for a week, have a row with the missus,etc. Im loving life now, the mates are intrigued and some have cut down cause i've quit as I was always the one who was the biggest mess.

Anyway best of luck to everyone giving up. Stick to it. If you want any advice give me a PM.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Anotherreg wrote: »
    18 Days.

The longest I've gone without alcohol in over twenty years. I never considered myself to be an alcoholic, until I found this year that I was utterly incapable of stopping once I had a third drink.

At this stage I have a fear of alcohol. I'm sick to death of the days wasted. I've had at least five blackouts since Christmas, and I refuse to fool myself anymore. I am unable to have a normal relationship with alcohol, so rather than having an abusive relationship, I've given up.

I hope when I look at this thread in six days, six weeks, six months and six years that I haven't let myself down.

Well done, i found the first month the hardest and it gets easier after that , But you have to keep telling yourself why you gave it up , and how good life is with out it, we all have different reasons for packing it up , for me it was something as small as the fear of losing my licence, because i was always sneaking in to the pubs for a few pints , could never pass the local without calling in for a few, i still call in to local and get a cup of Coffey now.in fairness to my local he respected my decision and made me feel just as welcome as if i was going to drink 10 pints which is great, best of luck anyway and keep posting.

Thanks kerryjack and Jonbon27 and all of the others who post on this site. I'm unable to use the functionality on the site yet as a new (rereg) user.

20 days now, first social outing last night which involved a mug of tea and two pints of H2O. It was different but I enjoyed myself. Getting up this morning with a clear head after a night out was very different and is recommended.

• Advertisement

kerryjack wrote: »
    18 Days.

Well done, i found the first month the hardest and it gets easier after that , But you have to keep telling yourself why you gave it up , and how good life is with out it, we all have different reasons for packing it up , for me it was something as small as the fear of losing my licence, because i was always sneaking in to the pubs for a few pints , could never pass the local without calling in for a few, i still call in to local and get a cup of Coffey now.in fairness to my local he respected my decision and made me feel just as welcome as if i was going to drink 10 pints which is great, best of luck anyway and keep posting.

How are you today ?

Northclare wrote: »
    How are you today ?

I'm great today, thank you for asking. Normally after a Thursday night out, I'd have lost all enthusiasm for the day by 4.30pm.

I've read through a lot of the posts in this thread, and your post outlining your nine years without alcohol is some achievement. Well done.

It's an achievement alright,I look better think better live better and love better than I ever have.
    Never look upto anyone sober a long time,because the first person up in the morning is the longest sober lol

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

20 days today, one planned drink evening coming up next Saturday (friend's birthday party) but back on the wagon again after that. Might even not bother with booze that night, but we'll see. Not missing the drink at all, but getting through gallons of water!

33 Days now.

I'm very happy with my efforts to date, but I have a feeling the next five weeks are make or break. Between now and mid October I have a number of functions that I'm expected to attend, and if the truth is told would be expected to get pissed at. There's a family wedding, an office booze up, a stag night and a school reunion (not in that order).

In all cases I'd be normally hammered and at the centre of any messing. I've told my siblings that I'm currently off the beer as part of a health kick, but haven't really discussed it with anyone else other than Mrs Reg (and you guys)

I've only had one evening of missing beer, and that wasn't on a night out, it was just myself and the Mrs having a late dinner by ourselves, which previously would have involved one or two bottles of beer. I'd love to be able to have a beer or two, but I'm past the kidding myself stage.

Putting my thoughts in print helps.

My main question is how did most of you tell people that you no longer drank? Was there a grand announcement, or was it just a question of ordering a 7up, and people eventually getting used to the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

Family wedding tell them you are driving,stag party avoid it my opinion(it will be messy and you will hate it unless your sauced up),class reunion tell them your on a health kick they will get it and work booze up order non alcoholic beers don't get caught into too many conversations on it,tell them you are off the drink at the moment to avoid gossip and leave early.
    It ain't easy but you have to convince yourself it's for the best,good luck with it.

11 months!

33 Days now.

I'm very happy with my efforts to date, but I have a feeling the next five weeks are make or break. Between now and mid October I have a number of functions that I'm expected to attend, and if the truth is told would be expected to get pissed at. There's a family wedding, an office booze up, a stag night and a school reunion (not in that order).

In all cases I'd be normally hammered and at the centre of any messing. I've told my siblings that I'm currently off the beer as part of a health kick, but haven't really discussed it with anyone else other than Mrs Reg (and you guys)

I've only had one evening of missing beer, and that wasn't on a night out, it was just myself and the Mrs having a late dinner by ourselves, which previously would have involved one or two bottles of beer. I'd love to be able to have a beer or two, but I'm past the kidding myself stage.

Putting my thoughts in print helps.

My main question is how did most of you tell people that you no longer drank? Was there a grand announcement, or was it just a question of ordering a 7up, and people eventually getting used to the idea.

Well done so far, you are doing great. I didn't make any big announcement for fear of reactions to be honest. Especially when I was early into it. I was afraid of somehow being persuaded to go back on it. Terrified in fact. I just dealt with every occasion and every conversation as it came up. I've been off it 15 months now and not everyone I know is aware of it yet. For example, I've been a member of a sport/social club for 3 months now and not one single person has picked up on it. I always 'have the car' or 'an early start'. A few in my family know, but even they presume from one meeting to the next that I'm back on it which is weird. Like they want me to be, or something. Some of my friends have told me they like going out with me so they don't have to drink or get sloshed. That's nice to hear.

So case by case is my advice. It'd hard to plan as you never know what the mood is going to be when you are asked. The mood of the evening that is. Sometimes a jokey answer is good. Sometimes a serious medical reason is required or you know you'll get grief. You get the picture.

Hope this helps!

hubba wrote: »
    Well done so far, you are doing great. I didn't make any big announcement for fear of reactions to be honest. Especially when I was early into it. I was afraid of somehow being persuaded to go back on it. Terrified in fact. I just dealt with every occasion and every conversation as it came up. I've been off it 15 months now and not everyone I know is aware of it yet. For example, I've been a member of a sport/social club for 3 months now and not one single person has picked up on it. I always 'have the car' or 'an early start'. A few in my family know, but even they presume from one meeting to the next that I'm back on it which is weird. Like they want me to be, or something. Some of my friends have told me they like going out with me so they don't have to drink or get sloshed. That's nice to hear.

So case by case is my advice. It'd hard to plan as you never know what the mood is going to be when you are asked. The mood of the evening that is. Sometimes a jokey answer is good. Sometimes a serious medical reason is required or you know you'll get grief. You get the picture.

Hope this helps!

I have to reach 10 posts in order to use the thanks facility so thank you to both Hubba and Sappa for your insights.

• Advertisement

It's cooler not drinking anyway.

I think sometimes people stop drinking because they have scrapped the bottom of the barrel and passed the pain barrier.

Nothing like good emotional pain to sober someone up.

A bit of Pain never hurt anyone :)

Advertisement