Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haven't touched a drop in...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 amcgu10

amcgu10 wrote: »
    After a lot of deliberation and thought i've decided to give alcohol a kick for good.

I'm 19 years old unemployed and usually head out on a Monday and Thursday night 2 a drink. I'd usually invite the lads around to my house for a few cans usually around 5-7 cans each then head out to the nightclub and drink a few pints and a few shots. Lately i've noticed i'm just not enjoying the whole drinking culture. I hate waking up with the "fear" of what did I do last night or who did I do :o dying with hangovers and having no money and having no recollection of large periods from the night before. Its just not worth it.

I've said in the past that i'm going to give it up for good but it always failed. I'm writing this now i've no money til next Monday which is fine because I know i'll not be heading out til then I have no problem with that but when I collect my dole on Monday the urge to head out will start to kick and i'll say "ah **** it i'll head out for a few" :(

Hopefully I can snap out of that and not head out and stay in instead. Its going to be tough but i'll do it:)

Since I wrote that post I haven't gone out to pubs/niteclubs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I haven't drank in over 2 weeks now. I know that doesn't sound like a lot. But that's now equal the longest I've gone all year.
    I think I'm feeling better because of it, although I am a little sick right now, if that makes any sense:D
    I don't drink too often, as in never during the week, but one I start I sort of lose control and can't stop.
    I'd like to still have a few drinks from time to time but I'll see how it goes. Mostly for social reasons.
    I keep getting invited out for drinks which is kind of annoying.
    I have to keep turning them down as I don't think I'd have the willpower to go to the pub for a few hours and not drink. Especially when people start putting pressure on.

I also tend to drink waaaay to quick which is another problem, although I never get legless drunk. I do get a lot of black outs though.
    Earlier today I was thinking about the last few years and it really is a little hazy which is kind of scary!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I haven't drank in over 2 weeks now. I know that doesn't sound like a lot. But that's now equal the longest I've gone all year.
    I think I'm feeling better because of it, although I am a little sick right now, if that makes any sense:D
    I don't drink too often, as in never during the week, but one I start I sort of lose control and can't stop.
    I'd like to still have a few drinks from time to time but I'll see how it goes. Mostly for social reasons.
    I keep getting invited out for drinks which is kind of annoying.
    I have to keep turning them down as I don't think I'd have the willpower to go to the pub for a few hours and not drink. Especially when people start putting pressure on.

I also tend to drink waaaay to quick which is another problem, although I never get legless drunk. I do get a lot of black outs though.
    Earlier today I was thinking about the last few years and it really is a little hazy which is kind of scary!

Hi Teddy make a list of all the worst things that have happened when drinking - I mean, really scary things - These all happened to me at one time or another--almost getting caught drinking at work, making a fool out of myself drunk at a work socials, getting arrested, getting too drunk to deal with a family emergency, letting my dog out and not realizing it until the next morning, losing a good friend because she was mortified at my drunk behavior, etc.....

In the early days I think it's really important to keep these things at the front of your mind. The drinkbrain ;) will try to convince you that drinking wasn't all that bad and try to make you concentrate on the good times. But the bad times is why you are here, and also why you need to try and get some control,Good luck :D

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭gillapino

Had one or two malibu and cokes and a cocktail two weeks ago on holidays, but besides from the odd one or two drinks very rarely , havent had any more then that in nearly 3 years :)

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

6 weeks roll on 6 months now.

• Advertisement

So disappointed with myself for drinking yesterday. I drank so much that I haven't been able to get up all day because I feel physically sick and want to puke. I did a few stupid things also, but no where near my worst. There's too much social elements in my life that involve drinking.
    I was feeling great. Now I feel **** again. That's the problem. I feel so good that I feel a few drinks won't hurt.
    I really wish there was a pill I could take every day that would make me sick if I took a drink. In the morning I always am determined but then on a Saturday evening there's such a buzz I want to be in town and out and about.

Anyway I rambling, but now I hope this time next week I'll be able to say I haven't drank in a week. I'm such a stupid ****ing idiot for drinking.

Actually I don't think I would have drank last night if I hadn't go a distressing phone call. It's things like that that can push you off the wagon.

So disappointed with myself for drinking yesterday. I drank so much that I haven't been able to get up all day because I feel physically sick and want to puke. I did a few stupid things also, but no where near my worst. There's too much social elements in my life that involve drinking.
    I was feeling great. Now I feel **** again. That's the problem. I feel so good that I feel a few drinks won't hurt.
    I really wish there was a pill I could take every day that would make me sick if I took a drink. In the morning I always am determined but then on a Saturday evening there's such a buzz I want to be in town and out and about.

Anyway I rambling, but now I hope this time next week I'll be able to say I haven't drank in a week. I'm such a stupid ****ing idiot for drinking.

Actually I don't think I would have drank last night if I hadn't go a distressing phone call. It's things like that that can push you off the wagon.
    Actually Teddy you can get anti booze pills prescribed by the doc but they will only go that road if they feel it's the last resort.
    Don't beat yourself up about the drinking,I know the way suddenly your feeling good the sun is shining and you think ahh a few bottles,been there a bunch of times and it's the same scenario the next day.
    Regret and poor health followed by a feeling like your back to square one.
    I've known I needed to give up yrs ago and tried and failed many many times but it's a battle you just have to keep chipping away at it and try to avoid these situations if at all possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭sockmo

I'm only on day 2...but dead serious about quitting for good this time as i've pretty much messed my entire life up with drink.Had a bit of an epiphany after a drunken argument with my ex over the weekend.

The problem is I've never lasted more than a week so I'm in fear that ill crack by the weekend.I've tried giving up many times before and I always crack by day 5..

The fact is I know Im an alco and I need to stop drinking for the sake of my baby son,Im 26 years old.I've lost jobs,friends,Vanity-wise Ive also become quite fat when i used to be skinny an handsome, and ive lost a lot of my sanity.

I look in the mirror and say "what the hell happened to you man?"

the answer is alcohol.

I know what I have to do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭kerryted

sockmo wrote: »
    I'm only on day 2...but dead serious about quitting for good this time as i've pretty much messed my entire life up with drink.Had a bit of an epiphany after a drunken argument with my ex over the weekend.

The problem is I've never lasted more than a week so I'm in fear that ill crack by the weekend.I've tried giving up many times before and I always crack by day 5..

The fact is I know Im an alco and I need to stop drinking for the sake of my baby son,Im 26 years old.I've lost jobs,friends,Vanity-wise Ive also become quite fat when i used to be skinny an handsome, and ive lost a lot of my sanity.

the answer is alcohol.

I know what I have to do

well sockmo you have a great excuse to pack up the drink ,your young son, you are still very young and you can get back in to shape and get your life back on track . some people cant do moderation i was one of those and had to pack it up for good ,take it day by day and you wont find the weeks passing, there is life after alcohol, its there for you if you want it

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭hubba

Hi Sockmo,

I'm impressed by your mail and there's something in the tone of it which really sounds determined which is half the battle. I wish you the very best in the days, weeks and months ahead. It's about quality of life at the end of the day and living your life as the real you, not some fake member of the herd, following along cos it's 'what everyone does'.

We only get one life and the way I see it is that I've tried the drinking scene for many years, gave it my best (!) but it just made me miserable, broke and tired. And that's not life, not for me anyway.

Again, best wishes, Sockmo and you can count on support here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭seanrose

hi guys

long time since i posted on this thread but have still been looking in at it

The last time i posted was back in april,and decided to post again after having a horrible weekend where it has put me back to square one again
    not that i lost anytime at work as such but just so so disappointed with myself for letting myself down by overdoing it and the usual blackout i used to have

its hurting me so bad that i continue not to learn from my mistakes about over indulging,that is what hurts me the most even though i try to drill it into what binging is doing to my body and mind.

I have been watching the show "blackout" on bbc and it brings home how one night of madness of alcohol can wreck your life,it may be a tv show but i am so aware these things can happen just as easily to me

i try to keep telling myself that this weekend was a blip but its very hard to get the negative feelings out of my head

thanks for listening

sockmo wrote: »

the answer is alcohol.

I know what I have to do
    I always find the first weekend is the hardest.
    I feel great now and want to have a few drinks tonight and hit the town. I need to organise something for myself early tomorrow morning now so I stay off the drink.

Failing to plan is planing to fail ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Varied

realies wrote: »
    Failing to plan is planing to fail ;-)

What did you do in your first few months? Did you go on trips? Take up hobbies? Genuinely interested as to how you filled your time.

Varied wrote: »
    What did you do in your first few months? Did you go on trips? Take up hobbies? Genuinely interested as to how you filled your time.

At first AA was suggested to me but I didn't think then that I could face other people. So I surfed the net looking for support in which I found two great sites,I clicked in and it suited my needs and me straight away (anonymity). It was two weeks before I had the courage to post on the forums. I also put in place a meeting with a addiction and anger councillor and from this joined a 3 month abstinent personal development course which I successfully completed and have gone on and finished an aftercare program, I also finished an addiction studies access course in college.Through sheer grit and determination I exercised on a daily basis. I eat healthily, and use my supports daily, my relationships without alcohol are fun, enjoyable and real and I have clear thinking and peace of mind, I now have friends who I have lots in common with apart from alcohol. Looking back, choosing alcohol caused me and others a lot of pain in my life. I put it before all my relationships and it brought me to places and to do things I would never have dreamt of doing ever. I hurt a lot of people who cared and loved me throughout my life. Most of all I hurt me, physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually. Now I am living each day in the day and I am looking forward to meeting my goals and ambitions as well as supporting others. I know I still have a way to go and will be fighting this addiction for the rest of my life, as well as other issues which I know I can do alcohol free. But I am reasonably happy and contented for the last few years and hope to be in the future :)

realies wrote: »
    Varied wrote: »

At first AA was suggested to me but I didn't think then that I could face other people. So I surfed the net looking for support in which I found two great sites,I clicked in and it suited my needs and me straight away (anonymity). It was two weeks before I had the courage to post on the forums. I also put in place a meeting with a addiction and anger councillor and from this joined a 3 month abstinent personal development course which I successfully completed and have gone on and finished an aftercare program, I also finished an addiction studies access course in college.Through sheer grit and determination I exercised on a daily basis. I eat healthily, and use my supports daily, my relationships without alcohol are fun, enjoyable and real and I have clear thinking and peace of mind, I now have friends who I have lots in common with apart from alcohol. Looking back, choosing alcohol caused me and others a lot of pain in my life. I put it before all my relationships and it brought me to places and to do things I would never have dreamt of doing ever. I hurt a lot of people who cared and loved me throughout my life. Most of all I hurt me, physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually. Now I am living each day in the day and I am looking forward to meeting my goals and ambitions as well as supporting others. I know I still have a way to go and will be fighting this addiction for the rest of my life, as well as other issues which I know I can do alcohol free. But I am reasonably happy and contented for the last few years and hope to be in the future :)
    Realies
    Your a great support on this thread,I really get a lot out of reading your posts and it makes me think seriously every time a situation with booze arises I think back to this thread and resist breaking.
    7weeks today and for the past while this is a record,old habits were creaping in and like yourself I have made some poor decisions on alcohol no more than a lot of people in Ireland and maybe worse but if I keep going with drink it will finish me off,was speaking to a good friend who is 12yrs sober and we both recounted dozens of incidents where we almost died because of drink during crazy drink periods in our lives,swimming accross swollen rivers in your clothes with no memory how your clothes are soaking wet in the morning,driving high powered bikes on hols hammered and without a helmet r recollection where you parked it in the morning,sleeping in hedges on your way home cause your too gimped to make it back and that hedge looks like a cosy bed or waking up 100 km outside a foreign city on a train without a clue how you got there and no money or keys.
    I could go on and even typing this I feel relieved that I know it's a problem, this time off it does feel way different.
    I have no desire to break it and I can go out for a short while meet a few friends,but get home before they get drunk.
    Like yourself eating healthy,getting in a lot of exercise and keeping busy are key for me.
    I look at folks out having the craic and think I'm not bitter anymore as i used to resent folk who could have a few pints and stop when I couldn't or I don't feel like I am missing out on weekends away or pissups as I have been there so much that I know it stopped being fun a long time ago and I have the memories but life is about the now not the past or the future and if you can live solely in the now your on the right track IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Just in from the pub, so it's been about 15 mins since my last drink, Father...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

7 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Going on 5 weeks all is well, tried the moderation thing for a while did not enjoy it don't see the point in it, way easier to pack it up all together, OH thinks i am a bit more grumpy than normal, **** happens i suppose,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

5 weeks, me and mr beer dont get along too well :)

• Advertisement

nuxxx wrote: »
    5 weeks, me and mr beer dont get along too well :)

Well done nuxxx :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

One week today with the help of AA :) Weekends really are my Achilles heel and I got through my first one, wasn't easy mind. A lot of thoughts of having a pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Corcaigh84

Heading into my third weekend without it. Drank way too much this year, was in a bad relationship so I used to it convince myself I was having a good time.

I know I'm going to drink again, but not when I'm down in the dumps. It's way easier this time, like I have zero urge for it. Compared to Lent a few years ago when I gave up I was counting down the days, what has changed?!? I guess I'm just more mature these days :cool:

The only downside is I'm spending all my time with friends and keeping fit (hit the gym, delete facebook lol) but I miss meeting the ladies... where the hell do I find them in this country outside the pub? ;)

I realise my tone here might be a little too light hearted in this thread as there are people here with real struggles, and to those I say good job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

It will be 9 weeks on Monday for me. :)

10 months next week.

Three years,seven months and seventeen days :-) and loving everybit of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Cushtie

541 days today, never imagined I would stay off it this long. one day at a time..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭hubba

429 days over which I have grown as a person in leaps and bounds and had lots of fun doing it. I lost some old 'friends' in the process, collateral damage, but met loads more who like doing what I like doing.

I've (re?)gained the respect of friends and family and I've SAVED a fortune which is now going towards my pension and mortgage which makes me feel a whole lot better about myself and my future. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Long Term Louth

Stopped 2nd Jan 2008, and have never in my life felt better, first few months difficult.

• Advertisement

hubba wrote: »
    429 days over which I have grown as a person in leaps and bounds and had lots of fun doing it. I lost some old 'friends' in the process, collateral damage, but met loads more who like doing what I like doing.

I've (re?)gained the respect of friends and family and I've SAVED a fortune which is now going towards my pension and mortgage which makes me feel a whole lot better about myself and my future. :)

Great work hubba :)

Advertisement