Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haven't touched a drop in...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭a fat guy

29 days so far, not that I ever had much of a problem in the first place...

I also started eating better food though, I'm on about 2 weeks or so with that one.

Went out last night to a gig and I've only just realised now that the drink just distracts you from the ****e parts of the night and makes the fun parts a little funnier. So really it's the same old thing. Good night out all the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 paddy1977

Ya i know KaG sometimes things are unavoidable, well to be honest i did have a few good time's out myself, but they are far from regular, unfortunatly nearly every occasion is drink related these days, im going to Cape Island off west Cork in september Whale Watching, but i bet there will be a big session on afterwards, and if people can handle there drink there entitled to it, its i had the problem! You still have to enjoy your own life drinking or not i know that much!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

Yesterday was day one dry for me after probably two years more or less, seven nights a week. Had gone from a glass of wine to a bottle a night. Needless to say things had deteriorated at home to such an extent its time to make up my mind to how I want my future to shape up. My intentions are strong at the moment so I hope to be checking in here in the future getting cleaner and stronger with time. I don't want to screw this up. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭a fat guy

Yesterday was day one dry for me after probably two years more or less, seven nights a week. Had gone from a glass of wine to a bottle a night. Needless to say things had deteriorated at home to such an extent its time to make up my mind to how I want my future to shape up. My intentions are strong at the moment so I hope to be checking in here in the future getting cleaner and stronger with time. I don't want to screw this up. :(

Get hobbies, get fit and eat well.

At the end of the day, only you can make a difference.

Now don't mess it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭emmabrighton

5 months today :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Wingman2010

5 months today :)

Well done Emma :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭JonBon27

well done emma!!!

75days myself today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭derealbadger

3 Years clean and sober yesterday and life has completely transformed

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭hubba

Well done, derealbadger. I'm near the year mark myself and can't believe how completely different my life is already. There's just no comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭seanrose

3 Years clean and sober yesterday and life has completely transformed
    hubba wrote: »
    Well done, derealbadger. I'm near the year mark myself and can't believe how completely different my life is already. There's just no comparison.

hey guys,just wondering would you be willing to go into certain specifics of how it has changed your life i.e health,money,friendships,relationships

• Advertisement

Less anxiety/depression
    Less mood swings
    No guilt
    Much better sleep
    I have taken up 4 new hobbies, 3 physical and 1 creative, all of which were WAAAAAAY out of my comfort zone but I find taking on difficult things is much easier since quitting
    I can handle life's curveballs easier
    I am a better friend (and have left my high stool friends behind and exchanged them for people who like what I like - healthy life and hobbies, getting out and challenging my boundaries).
    I have loads more money which I spend (some of) on my new hobbies,pasttimes, holidays and save the rest.
    I look better.
    I'm happier, more content.
    I have self respect.
    Instead of thinking about myself and trying to avoid hangovers or people I may have made a fool of myself in front of, feeling guilt etc I am reaching out and supporting other people.
    I am closer to my family as I have time to spend with them and am more dependable.
    I can driver everywhere, which is really cool.

I could go on and on but I don't want to bore you all to death but I hope this helps anyone out there considering taking the plunge ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭derealbadger

seanrose wrote: »
    hey guys,just wondering would you be willing to go into certain specifics of how it has changed your life i.e health,money,friendships,relationships

For me its just a Day V Night change I was just thinking about where my life was this time 3 years ago and when I stopped I could see no reason for life I was at the jumping off point unable to imagine life with or without alcohol

Today I have the trust of the people who matter in my life if I say I will do something then I will do it my life does not have guilt and remorse and wishing my years away

Work I have my own business going very well and i enjoy it only possible with the help of my parents as the Nigerian guys who are looking for you to look after a few million for them wouldn't have given me money at the end of my drinking

The future when I am ready I want to get into a relationship settle down have kids etc.

The things that interest me today are like chalk and cheese to 3 years ago

A year today.

A year of learning and appreciation for experiences old and new. A year of A-HA moments where I realised that I don't actually like X, Y, Z stuff at all and took up other brand new stuff. Of learning that life doesn't have to be lived at full volume.

I have to admit I've been out of the pub/social scene for a lot of that time, focussing on getting physical/mental health sorted out and getting stuck into the hobbies big time but circumstances have changed slightly meaning I'll be getting back into that so I'm approaching it cautiously.

But thanks for all the support on here, folks, and keep posting. It's great to see people taking the plunge and knowing they can get help and company here.

A year today.

A year of learning and appreciation for experiences old and new. A year of A-HA moments where I realised that I don't actually like X, Y, Z stuff at all and took up other brand new stuff. Of learning that life doesn't have to be lived at full volume.

I have to admit I've been out of the pub/social scene for a lot of that time, focussing on getting physical/mental health sorted out and getting stuck into the hobbies big time but circumstances have changed slightly meaning I'll be getting back into that so I'm approaching it cautiously.

But thanks for all the support on here, folks, and keep posting. It's great to see people taking the plunge and knowing they can get help and company here.

Well done Hubba!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

A year today.

Well done hubba,great achivement :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 97 ✭✭SIR PEADO BAILOUT

Have any of youse tried them non alcho beer or lagers i`m after one that gives the best or closest mind to da real thing taste,i tried some years ago tasted like feckn fairy liqiud, suggestions like :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭gillapino

I believe Bavaria have one, but havent tried it, not mad on the taste of any beer tbh !

8 months tomorrow! Feels so much longer

Well done KaG. We are growing in numbers! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭JonBon27

103 days :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭emmabrighton

6 months tomorrow - can't believe how much my life has changed. I was talking to my sister in law yesterday and she asked why I was drinking last year and I said that I was having a really stressful year but the thing is this year is infinitely more stressful and I haven't once thought about going for a drink. Well, im pregnant so I wouldn't anyway. But it just makes me think that I was deluding myself thinking that I HAD to drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

6 months tomorrow - can't believe how much my life has changed. I was talking to my sister in law yesterday and she asked why I was drinking last year and I said that I was having a really stressful year but the thing is this year is infinitely more stressful and I haven't once thought about going for a drink. Well, im pregnant so I wouldn't anyway. But it just makes me think that I was deluding myself thinking that I HAD to drink.
    3 weeks today,was off it a couple of weeks but broke through pressure and a false sense of reminiscing during the better weather.
    Still have some friends who actually arrived over drunk lastnite with bottles of wine and beer even though they knew I am trying to quit.
    I had to sit through their crap talking and basically belittling the fact I am quiting.
    Really put me off tge drink even further and I lost a lot of respect for them.
    I already turned down a stag to Vegas this wknd as I knew I could not stay off the drink but I know it was the right thing to do.
    I can't understand how some people seem to think your boring if you don't carry on like you did before.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Cushtie

500 days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Never

• Registered Users Posts: 2 amcgu10

After a lot of deliberation and thought i've decided to give alcohol a kick for good.

I'm 19 years old unemployed and usually head out on a Monday and Thursday night 2 a drink. I'd usually invite the lads around to my house for a few cans usually around 5-7 cans each then head out to the nightclub and drink a few pints and a few shots. Lately i've noticed i'm just not enjoying the whole drinking culture. I hate waking up with the "fear" of what did I do last night or who did I do :o dying with hangovers and having no money and having no recollection of large periods from the night before. Its just not worth it.

I've said in the past that i'm going to give it up for good but it always failed. I'm writing this now i've no money til next Monday which is fine because I know i'll not be heading out til then I have no problem with that but when I collect my dole on Monday the urge to head out will start to kick and i'll say "ah **** it i'll head out for a few" :(

Hopefully I can snap out of that and not head out and stay in instead. Its going to be tough but i'll do it:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17 Xim1

I had a great mark of 167 days.. until the company party ... :( then I am back to start from zero and now is been 22 days.. avoid company parties from now on and go to social gatherings where I will be not tempted ...here a good group

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Xim1 wrote: »
    I had a great mark of 167 days.. until the company party ... :( then I am back to start from zero and now is been 22 days.. avoid company parties from now on and go to social gatherings where I will be not tempted ...here a good group
    Bud, look at it this way, you haven't drank for 189 of the last 190 days, a fantastic achievement, don't beat yourself up, it's not a game of snakes and ladders where you go back to square one. Think of it as a small bump on a long road :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭RNC

7 days..... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭ciarang85

1 week so far, ya know the way if you drink a rake of beer or whatever ya can get the sh!ts, does anyone one know does that happen as well if you drink a rake of non-alco beer? just wondering like

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Remembering H.A.L.T. really helped me in the beginning (i.e. never allow yourself to get too Hungry, Angry, Lonely or Tired.)

Definitely try eating something. Sometimes when we have cravings, it's actually a craving for food or water, not for alcohol. It's so important in the early days to keep our sugar levels stable so try to eat a little something (preferably healthy) every 3-4 hours.

If you're angry, try going for a walk or some kind of exercise, journal about it, or start a gratitude list. It's amazing how quickly writing about what we're grateful for can change our frame of mind.

If you're lonely, reach out to a friend or relative, volunteer, post here, watch TV or read something. What you do isn't as important as doing something, anything to get out of your own head to break the focus on being lonely.

If you're tired, take a nap or lay down. Sometimes putting myself to bed was the only thing that would help me beat the cravings in the beginning, and I never regretted doing so in the morning.

As we all know, drinking in the pub isn't everything it's cracked up to be. Remember also to fast forward to the end of the drinking night that sounds so appealing at the moment. How many of them left you feeling good about yourself afterwards ?

Cravings are just cravings. They don't last forever and the longer you ride them through without giving in, the less frequent and intense they will become. Phew, what a relief that is to know. I've been sober over 3 years and honestly can't remember the last time I craved an alcoholic drink, yet there was a time I was convinced I could never live without Alcohol in my life. How wrong I was.

Keep your eye on the prize--and you'll reach your BIG GOAL before you know it.

You can all do it ! :D:);):p:cool:

Advertisement