Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rage

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

humanji wrote: »
    That makes it 1am on Friday, right? (I've been drinking and I'm tired, so that's my excuse for any math fail!)

2 I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,842 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Reviews

Joystiq
    3/5

Eurogamer
    8/10

Gametrailers
    9/10

GameSpot
    8/10

1UP
    B

Strategy Informer
    6.5/10

CVG

Ars Technica
    Verdict: Skip

Telegraph
    3.5/5

G4TV
    4/5

IGN
    8.5/10

EGM
    9.5/10

TeamXbox
    9.5/10

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Hmm i may wait on the opinion you guys on this one.Although I do have a lot of game rental vouchers from buying Fifa 12.May put them to use :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Was kinda hyped for it, considered buying it.

Just watched a stream of it for about 3 hours.

Wouldn't even pirate.

Dark Souls, please dont disappoint

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Well this is disappointing. So id are a one trick pony after all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

What's disappointing? Those are pretty good scores.

What's disappointing? Those are pretty good scores.

The Ars review explicitly warns people to stay away.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

5uspect wrote: »

From that review

Not that much of a spoiler just describes the annoying parts of a mission and how it takes going to 4 different people to actually get to some action.
    Once I get my new clothes, the mayor says I have to rent garage space and talk to the sheriff. So I do those things, but the sheriff tells me I can't have the supplies that need to be delivered unless my buggy has guns. To get guns, I need to talk to the guy at the race track. After talking to the guy at the race track, I'm told I need to speak to another guy to set up races for the slips to get the guns—when I find that guy, he tells me to speak to his guy so he can schedule the race...

It's absurd and pointless. Why can't the first guy just set up the race? What designer sat down and said that the player should have to track down and speak to FOUR PEOPLE to get to the actual action?

The general consensus is that it is a very pretty but average game.
    There are illusions of RPG elements and an open world but it's essentially a corridor shooter.

I like a good shooter as much as the next person and the shooting is indeed satisfying but I was expecting a bit more depth.

And others give it 9.5 out of 10. Averaging things out, it'd be a 7.5 or 8, which isn't bad at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

And others give it 9.5 out of 10. Averaging things out, it'd be a 7.5 or 8, which isn't bad at all.

I hear what you're saying I know the game isn't terrible. I'm currently preloading the game and I am looking forward to it. But the general reception (simply averaging review scores is a bad idea IMHO) is that it is not all that it is hyped up to be and I'm just adjusting my expectations.

I hear what you're saying I know the game isn't terrible. I'm currently preloading the game and I am looking forward to it. But the general reception (simply averaging review scores is a bad idea IMHO) is that it is not all that it is hyped up to be and I'm just adjusting my expectations.
    Yeah, I get the same feeling. I kind of think the Ars review is a bit harsh, while at the same time there are some which are a little overly positive. I guess we'll find out on Friday. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

A review is 1 persons opinion. Everyone has different tastes, you may find it to be the best game ever.
    People love Stalker, I hate it, If I reviewed it I'd have given 4/10, but that's not to say it's not a great game,and others didnt' love it, just not my cup of tea.
    Reviews are to be taken as a general idea, not as a ruleset on which games to purchase.
    I'll get RAGE regardless of the reviews, looks decent, but I'll buy the other AAA titles first, or else I'll try the demo if they release one on STEAM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

So it's just boarderlands remade with different graphics? That's kinda what I was hoping for but with some extra's to make it a little different.

Just tell me there's lots of loot..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

I think averaging 8/10 at any other time of the year would be fine, but I'll be skipping it until it drops in price now I'd say. Will pick it up after Christmas. There are too many great games released and potentially great games over the next couple of months for me to pick up Rage at the moment. Would just sit on my backlog for a couple of months anyway.

Unfortunately I think a lot of people will be like me and skip a good game waiting for a couple of great games. Or even just good games from established franchises to be released.

If it was released between March-August I would've been all over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    And the settings screen: http://imgur.com/2kowG
    NOPE

I... I don't get it.

I... I don't get it.

That's the advanced graphics setting screen for the PC as well...

Hope they patch the crap out of this game. A lot of people are having issues with low FPS rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,823 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Yea but that guy who wrote it is a complete tool

In the review he slates it for not auto saving every five minutes !! My god a game that punishes you for dying that's no good. He also slates it because your character just starts shooting people for no explanation!! The enemy jump on you and try to kill you! what more explaining do you need.

He slates it because his character is just fine with going from "everyone he knows is dead to shooting people in 30 second" ! you are the character there is no internal narrative ffs your not watching a film. Does he want his hand held all the way through.

Then the line about the team not being passionate about the game ! He has clearly never spoken too or even listened to John Carmack speak about the game then. He spent nearly 2 hours on stage going through every minute detail at Quakecon. I haven't heard a developer talk like that about a game in a long time.

I would take most reviews as opinion i just wouldn't get an opinion from a twat.

He does praise the graphical fidelity of the game tho and that's about as far as Carmack is involved to be fair.

He does contradict himself by complaining that you're shooting bad guys in 30 seconds but also complaining about having to waste time talking to four guys before getting into the action.

• Advertisement

Mantel wrote: »

*shrug*
    I'm not sure why the lack of buttons and sliders on a particular options screen would be a deal breaker but to each their own.

Well advanced graphics settings are a staple of PC gaming. We like to tweak our settings to the optimum for our system and id have always provided this up to now. The removal of such features is often called consolitis. It also will infuriate the modding community as it appears to lock out tweaking, at least until they release an SDK.

Fortunately the recommended system requirements for RAGE aren't massive so it's not a total deal breaker. Hopefully they'll patch them in or someone will figure out how to adjust the setting by editing ini files much like with Crysis 2.

*shrug*
    I'm not sure why the lack of buttons and sliders on a particular options screen would be a deal breaker but to each their own.

There are two sets of people shouting the loudest about this, the ones that hate console ports and just shout for the sake of shouting it and to let people know how much they hate consoles. The other set are the ones that have the more extreme graphic issues, texture glitches, those getting under 30fps, overheating graphic's cards, texture's popping in and a few other issues that could be solved if they had a few extra options that are usually considered standard on PC games.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,823 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

There are two sets of people shouting the loudest about this, the ones that hate console ports and just shout for the sake of shouting it and to let people know how much they hate consoles. The other set are the ones that have the more extreme graphic issues, texture glitches, those getting under 30fps, overheating graphic's cards, texture's popping in and a few other issues that could be solved if they had a few extra options that are usually considered standard on PC games.

Why do people hate when a PC game gets a console port made out of the PC build ?

I would like to think this is Id trolling the hell out of the vocal minority of PC gamers who whine about "consolitis" consistantly.

"Having the settings easily manipulatable from an in-game menu? Sounds like dumbing down to me. "

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

It looks fantastic and im very tempted to pick this up off Steam now. Hell id sorta go out and limb and wish ID did some future work for a Fallout game cause the art style here is really impressing me. Their new graphical engine is pure genius aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Hope they patch the crap out of this game. A lot of people are having issues with low FPS rates.

was on the verge of buying it til i seen that, cheers :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

The US beta tester are busy identifying all the bugs now, hopefully there will a substantial day one patch waiting for us Europeans on Friday. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,979 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

was on the verge of buying it til i seen that, cheers :)

There's an issue with some drivers, there will definite be a patch soon. Also, you can enable the console to edit settings.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,142 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I would like to think this is Id trolling the hell out of the vocal minority of PC gamers who whine about "consolitis" consistantly.

"Having the settings easily manipulatable from an in-game menu? Sounds like dumbing down to me. "

It's nothing to do with this. Advanced graphics options are standard in PC games because sometimes your PC is not good enough to run the game at best settings so it's nice to be able to dial it down a bit to get it to run at an acceptible level. Also there can be glitching with older cards with more advanced effects on older cards, I had shader glitches on half-life 2 and Doom 3 for a while until I upgraded. It was nice to be able to turn them off instead of playing everything with luminous purple and green specular highlights.

As an example the video mantel shows is a video ram issue that could be solved by lowering the texture detail, something that is impossible in Rage currently. With how modular PC builds are a decent set of graphical options should be standard for people with slower hardware or graphical issues.

Advertisement