Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rage

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

How are the console versions? Is it a case that ID focused on them to the detriment of the PC version or are they messed up too?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Haven't heard much grief from Xbox users but the PS3 is suffering from mild texture popups if you turn around quick enough.

The PC, though, has gotten the worst end of it with all kinds of various glitches and bugs. What an awful launch. Gaming sites are beginning to pick up on this now.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Right, I've just sent off a cancellation order to steam for this game. By all accounts I should enjoy the game, but not until it's patched.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Phegasus

As far as consoles go, the developers are urging users to do an install of the game to the HDD to resolve any latency issues, which seem to be cropping up when booting from discs. This applies to both Xbox 360 and PS3

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Hmm, turns out this could be more than just AMD's fault.

Seems Tech Engine 5's supposed great automatic tweaking for people's machines has failed miserably. People are getting 100% CPU usage and within the game's console it has the machine's specifications all wrong (0Mhz CPU or 0MB GPU :D)

There's so many things wrong with this game along with the textures all blurry and constantly loading to a bug where you have to manually create a folder for the 1gb texture cache in your AppData folder since the game can't seem to create it.

It just seems this game is running awful on a huge amount of people's machines (some of which are utter monster of rigs).

Alot of hatred for id software at the moment.

Of course it's AMD's fault they are a woeful manufacture and as amutear as it gets. But by god do they sell cheap cards that hit the ground running a month before Nvidia wipes them clean. Im a addict I need to get off the ship!

Sadly due to the lack of intellect amongst gamers everyone will blame ID and ask that they be killed etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Seems like a bit of a slap in the face for pc games again. And considering this is id, it's one hell of a slap.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Stev_o wrote: »
    Of course it's AMD's fault they are a woeful manufacture and as amutear as it gets. But by god do they sell cheap cards that hit the ground running a month before Nvidia wipes them clean. Im a addict I need to get off the ship!

Sadly due to the lack of intellect amongst gamers everyone will blame ID and ask that they be killed etc.

Not really AMD fault alone.

I bet they just spent more time tweaking nvidia side of gpu then amd.

Ever wondered why they got those logos in the beginning of the game " nvidia, this is how it ment to be played". Now nvidia will have puted more resources to developer so he would make better use of nvidia and leave amd on basic level.

It's a great marketing stunt, because amd users will go " FFs, my amd card can't work with this game! I am buying nvidia from now on!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Nvidia, the way it's meant to be paid

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

Just played the first couple of hours of this on the PS3 and it is very very good, gunplay is perfect as you would expect from id and the graphics are just superb, very impressed so far and should be a day one purchase for FPS fans.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Glad i'm playing the ****ty console port no issues what so ever. Console gaming its the future ;)

Gorgeousness all over the place,love the game very solid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

i-rMx83pR-L.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 53,996 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Anyone preorder this on gamestop.ie and have it shipped yet? (express post)

Not really AMD fault alone.

I bet they just spent more time tweaking nvidia side of gpu then amd.

Ever wondered why they got those logos in the beginning of the game " nvidia, this is how it ment to be played". Now nvidia will have puted more resources to developer so he would make better use of nvidia and leave amd on basic level.

It's a great marketing stunt, because amd users will go " FFs, my amd card can't work with this game! I am buying nvidia from now on!
    "

Eh that all just screams of AMD yet again not putting enough investment into dev's. It's not like ID ran to Nvidia and said please sponsor us. If anything we'v seen AMD not doing enough to support new graphical implementations.

Tbh I don't know many if any ATI users who consistently say "I love ATI and will continue supporting them they make fantastic cards" I hear more people going "**** AMD with their f*cking Catalyst piece of sh*t this whole product is rubbish" Which of course it is, but it's cheap so tough love.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Headshot wrote: »
    Anyone preorder this on gamestop.ie and have it shipped yet? (express post)

Mine hasn't,last week though I had fifa on preorder and was never sent an email and order status never changed and I got it thursday around lunch time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Eh that all just screams of AMD yet again not putting enough investment into dev's. It's not like ID ran to Nvidia and said please sponsor us. If anything we'v seen AMD not doing enough to support new graphical implementations.

Tbh I don't know many if any ATI users who consistently say "I love ATI and will continue supporting them they make fantastic cards" I hear more people going "**** AMD with their f*cking Catalyst piece of sh*t this whole product is rubbish" Which of course it is, but it's cheap so tough love.

Ati really shook up the graphics card market. When nvidia had the market an 8800GTX Ultra was €600+ (some fools had 2 of them :eek:), then Ati appeared with its 4800 series costing less than half that. I have no allegiance to either company, I buy what's cheaper, it's usually Ati.

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Ati really shook up the graphics card market. When nvidia had the market an 8800GTX Ultra was €600+ (some fools had 2 of them :eek:), then Ati appeared with its 4800 series costing less than half that. I have no allegiance to either company, I buy what's cheaper, it's usually Ati.

That's the same with me. ATI have consistently put out cheaper cards on the market then Nvidia BUT with serious drawbacks down the line. Ill always choose the cheaper option tbh. Nvidia usually has less headaches.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

That's the same with me. ATI have consistently put out cheaper cards on the market then Nvidia BUT with serious drawbacks down the line. Ill always choose the cheaper option tbh. Nvidia usually has less headaches.

I shall grant you that NVidias software is a little better than Catalyst (which in all fairness is orders of magnitude better than it was in the pre AMD days), but what serious drawback are your referring to?

PogMoThoin wrote: »

this.

ATI was always best bang for your money.

i always had nvidia up to 8800gt. Few months ago i bought ati 6870 and newer looked back. great prce, great performance, even less power needed then nvidia counterpart.

havent had any problems with it so far.

for my future biuld i am considering ATI too, but in the end i will choose something that will give me best performance for the budget i got. i am not a badge snob.

By the time i will pick up RAGE in bargain bin, they will sort out ati issues anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

Some config file changes are out

In rangeconfig.cfg

vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly2 8192
    vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly 8192
    vt_pageimagesizeunique 8192
    vt_pageimagesizevmtr 8192
    vt_maxaniso 4
    vt_restart
    image_anisotropy 4

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=31540739&postcount=4922

&

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/l1lyl/rage_texture_popin_fix_read_inside/

5tmIU.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

I've been using Nvidia cards on and off since the Riva 128, and i've always had problems with the hardware side of the Nvidia cards. I've never had trouble with the ATI cards at all (hardware and software) so i've decided to only get ATI cards from now on.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

They're both a shower of feckers TBH. nVidia have their crappy hardware issues and AMD have their crappy software issues.

Bang per buck prices aren't hugely different between the red and the green team anymore as the data collapses well onto a straight line with a few notable outliers depending on which benchmark you pick:
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/GPU11/207

This is all thanks to AMD's aggressive pricing tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

I used to go with AMD for price reasons but the Catalyst software is just terrible to be honest and I got sick of it. Swapped over to Nvidia but had a hardware issue with the card overheating after a few months and had to break it open and repaste the GPU myself. Nvidia cards are notorious for heat issues!!

So I've upgraded recently and went for an Asus GTX 580 which has a completely custom built case and fan set-up and I have to say it's an amazing card. So for performance and getting the best life out of a card i'd have to recommed a custom nVidia!!

If they sort the graphics issues i'm gonna have to try this as i'd say it looks amazing running properly!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Working fix out for ati now. http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/10/05/working-rage-ati-fix-now-out/

whats with the graphics card fanboyism all of a sudden?

Burgo wrote: »
    Working fix out for ati now. http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/10/05/working-rage-ati-fix-now-out/

whats with the graphics card fanboyism all of a sudden?

you know glorious PC gamers? so now there are 2 factions in there too: glorious Nvidia pc gamers and DIRTY ATI pc players :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,996 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

All hail our overlords, Nvidia

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

you know glorious PC gamers? so now there are 2 factions in there too: glorious Nvidia pc gamers and DIRTY ATI pc players :D.

Thats before you throw Intel on the fire ;)

Speaking of ATI
    So fun fact, flash 11 with it's fancy new 3D stuff doesn't allow you to disable hardware acceleration anymore, the option is there and it works for older flash content, but many new things, and some old stuff (like ads currently running on RPS) force it.

There is a massive problem with this.

Flash runs 3d using the UVD (unified video decoder), and there is a bug with ATI 5 series bios that ATI have stated they do not intend to fix (as it would involve users flashing their bios a risky thing) in which UVD clock speeds take priority over 3D gaming clock speeds.

What this means? Well it means any flash content that runs (or any UDV accelerated content AVI files in some media players) will force your graphics card to underclock down to 400mhz GPU and 900Mhz memory speed.
    Which for most 5 (5xx0) series users is less than HALF of your graphics processing speed.

Simply put it you have 2 monitors*, and like to game on one and watch streaming TV on the other (or just surf the net in general thanks to the common flash ads that plague the net), you're going to take a massive hit (roughly halving) your frames per second.
    * Or 1 and like to leave your browser open in the background and alt-tab/play windowed.

Oh and of course if you fix this by flashing your bios, you invalidate your graphics cards warranty.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I never went in for this gfx card fanboy stuff, i buy whatever gives the best bang for my buck, end of story!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yes, PC definitely has the best controls and graphics for games like this.

But reading through this thread, I'm glad I learned to not give a ****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Shame there is no demo for this, it seems very much like a try before you buy sorta game for me.

Advertisement