Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 New Navy Vessels for Irish Naval Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭sparky42

JJ is on her way. Should be in around 11

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I hear the keel has been laid on the third ship.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

Tabnabs wrote: »
    I hear the keel has been laid on the third ship.

Keel was laid on April 15th.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

LE James Joyce is anchored off Ballycotton at the minute

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/shipid:2857921/zoom:10

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Morpheus wrote: »

I'd imagine she might meet the flagship and have a little parade of sail in together?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,849 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Could Eithne make it from mid-Biscay to Cork Harbour in 20 hours?

Edit: On a quick calculation of about 360 NM to go at 8pm last night, she could make it if she could sustain 18 knots+.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Morpheus wrote: »

No point in going over to have a look as the weathers a bit ****e- but if anyone knows when they're coming in post it- I could nip down to roches point - ( doubt the camera phone pics would be up to much though)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Big day for the Navy with the arrival of the Joyce and the return of the Eithne.

mikeym wrote: »
    Big day for the Navy with the arrival of the Joyce and the return of the Eithne.

And Aoife will be leaving for the last time perhaps.

Will be a proud and emotional day for the Service. Eithne to arrive at 11am to be greeted by the DCOS and FO and no doubt 50 families! James Joyce to dock 30 mins later alongside for its own reception. Hope the weather plays ball

• Advertisement

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Will be a proud and emotional day for the Service. Eithne to arrive at 11am to be greeted by the DCOS and FO and no doubt 50 families! James Joyce to dock 30 mins later alongside for its own reception. Hope the weather plays ball

Kind of screwed with it, Joyce came in tonight to head out again to come in with Eithne, I suppose Ballycotton wasn't the best spot tonight.

You might even say...

11qitqx.jpg

:pac:

P62 coming in now

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Some more good news for the Naval Service.

Coveney committed to buying more ships for navy
    “The fleet replacement programme will continue. We will be looking for more ships. Three more ships will have to be replaced in the next five to 10 years,” he said.

“Three [ships] in three years is not a bad record given our financial situation. But as the economy picks up I hope to increase the defence budget.”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Ren2k7

When Coveney says "We will be looking for more ships" it does give the impression (at least to the layman) that the govt want to expand the fleet but that's really not what he's talking about at all. Older vessels need replacing anyway, White Paper or not so to be trumpeting this as some sort of achievement by the govt is just plain dishonest.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,296 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Ren2k7 wrote: »
    When Coveney says "We will be looking for more ships" it does give the impression (at least to the layman) that the govt want to expand the fleet but that's really not what he's talking about at all. Older vessels need replacing anyway, White Paper or not so to be trumpeting this as some sort of achievement by the govt is just plain dishonest.

TBF his quote made it clear that 3 ships are to be replaced.

salmocab wrote: »
    TBF his quote made it clear that 3 ships are to be replaced.

The headline simply states "Coveney committed to buying more ships for navy", not "Coveney committed to buying replacement ships for navy". Now you can blame the Examiner for that sloppy headline but Coveney shouldn't be saying "We will be looking for more ships". It's dishonest and, as we might say here, trolling. They're not buying "more ships" if the WP, as expected, recommends maintaining an 8 ship fleet.

It might seem like pedantry on my part but for the average person all they'll read is "MOAR SHIPS" when it's nothing of the sort. You can really tell we're heading into election season. :rolleyes:

An 8 ship flotilla has been the commitment for a long time now. The expansion of the Navy is only likely to be in the range, sensor capability and UAV facilities that come with newer ships.

The politicians can bang on about average ages all they like but there are currently no programmed replacements for three ships that are likely to exceed 35 years of age by the time they are decommissioned, and thats a poor show. Eithne has done an excellent job in the Med but her replacem ent as flagship should be waiting in the wings by now and it isnt. I dont blame Coveney, he seems to be a promoter, but FF could have used someone with his committment when they had the resources to deliver many new ships and didnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

If there are new ships in the future I hope the government stay well clear of Babcock.

Cowboys.

• Advertisement

mikeym wrote: »
    If there are new ships in the future I hope the government stay well clear of Babcock.

Cowboys.

I suppose the engineers in the navy'll have a better idea of the issues - a few snags being stood over by the builder is no drama- 3 poorly built ships would be .
    By the time the last of the 3 comes on stream, 5 of the 8 ships will have been built at appledore to largely the same design -

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

The headline simply states "Coveney committed to buying more ships for navy", not "Coveney committed to buying replacement ships for navy". Now you can blame the Examiner for that sloppy headline but Coveney shouldn't be saying "We will be looking for more ships". It's dishonest and, as we might say here, trolling. They're not buying "more ships" if the WP, as expected, recommends maintaining an 8 ship fleet.

It might seem like pedantry on my part but for the average person all they'll read is "MOAR SHIPS" when it's nothing of the sort. You can really tell we're heading into election season. :rolleyes:

he was hardly trolling, his remark about new ships was directly after a sentence about continuing the fleet replacement. Anyone reading that article would take it that more ships are to be replaced, Id be far from an apologist for the govt but Coveney said nothing that suggests buying extra ships.

salmocab wrote: »
    he was hardly trolling, his remark about new ships was directly after a sentence about continuing the fleet replacement. Anyone reading that article would take it that more ships are to be replaced, Id be far from an apologist for the govt but Coveney said nothing that suggests buying extra ships.

He said the govt were to buy "more ships". I don't have to explain to you the meaning of the word "more". i.e, 9 is MORE than 8. But 8 is EQUAL to 8. See?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭source

He said the govt were to buy "more ships". I don't have to explain to you the meaning of the word "more". i.e, 9 is MORE than 8. But 8 is EQUAL to 8. See?

Or he meant what he said, that he was going to continue to replace ships by buying more.

That's generally what you do when you're replacing something you buy more of it to offset the loss of the item you're replacing.

For example when I run out of food, I don't go to buy extra food, or new food I go to buy more food. It's a pretty common use of the word.

He was very clear I thought. after buying 3 ships I would say that buying 3 more is is still buying "more" regardless of how many are decommissioned. See?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

It must be a boring day for you guy's if you are going to split hairs over your interpatation of what he said.:(

Cabinet meeting in Lissadell, Sligo this afternoon to mark the 150th Anniversary of the birth of W.B. Yeats.

Could this be the day we learn of the naming of P63? No doubt the Med missions and the arrival of JJ is something they will want to reflect on as a positive story so it would be all very timely. Might get a date for the JJ commissioning too?

Cabinet meeting in Lissadell, Sligo this afternoon to mark the 150th Anniversary of the birth of W.B. Yeats.

Could this be the day we learn of the naming of P63? No doubt the Med missions and the arrival of JJ is something they will want to reflect on as a positive story so it would be all very timely. Might get a date for the JJ commissioning too?

Since this is the last meeting before Summer Holidays for them:rolleyes: will the White Paper get put forward?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

sparky42 wrote: »
    Since this is the last meeting before Summer Holidays for them:rolleyes: will the White Paper get put forward?

Last meeting before the summer break.
    They are all allowed to bring in 1 toy each.

I doubt there would be any news on future vessels today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭nowecant

Somebody updated the wikipedia page with this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naval_Service_(Ireland)
    According to reports, the 2015 White Paper on Defence will call for the purchase of three new naval vessels over the 10 years to 2025, including a frigate with helicopter-landing capability to replace the flagship LÉ Eithne, which has a helicopter deck. Two offshore patrol vessels would cost €140m million, and the frigate upwards of €150 million.[24]

It references a Sunday Times artical which I only have partial access to http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/ireland/News/article1577106.ece
    €10m radar goes to the front line of military shopping list

Stephen O’Brien, Political Editor Published: 5 July 2015
    Print
    THE government is planning to buy a long-range radar system to keep track of covert aircraft such as the two Russian TU-95s which flew across Irish-controlled international airspace in January, defence minister Simon Coveney has confirmed, writes Stephen O’Brien.

The increased capability is recommended in a white paper due to be presented at cabinet later this month. It offers a radical reassessment of the military and other threats faced by the state.

Cyber attacks, extreme weather events, environmental accidents, and Islamic terrorism are among the threats being given a higher priority in defence planning, Coveney has told The Sunday Times.

“The white paper assesses the range, variety and complexity of traditional threats, but also looks at all the new threats,” he said. “Organised crime, people trafficking, piracy, animal disease outbreaks — these are things people don’t talk about every day. But if they happen, people will be demanding the Defence Forces

Subscribe now
    Login
    Already a subscriber?
    To see the full article you need to subscribe

Has anyone got access to the Sunday Times? can they confirm this or post the contents of the article here?

Advertisement