Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 New Navy Vessels for Irish Naval Service

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Not this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭roadmaster

if any one ever watches the programs on discovery channels over the years of us naval vessels being built there was always us navy personal in the ship yards from start to finish . So would it be a case Irish navy would do the same and have personal in the appledore shipyard or is a case the navy are just buying the ship as if you buy a car in a showroom?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Brian Clowen

Yes there would be naval staff there very often to attend meetings.

The primary engineers involved would attend every couple of weeks at the start and then once the main structure is complete and systems are been put in they stay on site.

Senior Engineering NCOs would then trained on any new systems so they would be in site for the last couple of months.

Ships company then will arrive about two weeks prior to allow DCFF and other familiarly training to take place.

Then the vessel will sail to Ireland, go alongside haulbowline and get its self ready for commissioning and more importantly patrol.

The Naval Service is stretched at the moment and Sam is badly needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭roadmaster

id say for naval personal it would be very interesting work and a good change from the usual duties

Have met a few on their way back from the engine factory, after being trained up on the new powerplant and they definitely seemed to be enjoying it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭nowecant

Has anyone else got confirmation of this?

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/cwojgbgbauau/rss2/

Naval Service in historic kite sail tests
    Monday, January 27, 2014

The Naval Service will this year make history when it tests new kite sails which will have the combined effect of providing enhanced surveillance and saving fuel.

By Sean O’Riordan
    The Irish Examiner first announced the Naval Service’s plans for using the technology in Aug 2012 and now they are coming to fruition.

Sustainable Energy Ireland (SEI) has just provided funding to enable testing of the equipment this year, making it the first navy in the world to do so.

The system has been developed through the Irish Maritime and Energy Resource Cluster (IMERC) — a collaboration between the Naval Service, UCC, and CIT.

It is also understood that Enterprise Ireland has taken an interest in the project, because, if successful, it could potentially be sold off to other navies around the world. The kites will be attached to the ships by steel cable and rolled out when needed.

Normally a ship’s radar has a sweep of 12 to 15 nautical miles, but sensors on the kites — which would fly up to 100 metres above the vessel — would significantly increase the radar sweep and other surveillance technology to up to 50 nautical miles.

“This system is relatively new technology. If the concept proves viable the system could be in use in a few years’ time,” a spokeswoman for the Naval Service said.

The kites will provide the added bonus of also reducing fuel bills, especially as the Naval Service uses around 40% of the fuel allocated to the Defence Forces.

When in use they could provide speeds of up to eight knots, which is as fast as an average trawler.

Because the system will require some available deck area space it is likely that it will be tested by the LÉ Eithne.

However, it could also be tested on the new €50 million LÉ Samuel Beckett which is being built at a docks in Appledore, Devon.

It is nearly completed and after sea trials it is expected to be delivered to the Naval Service late next month, or in early March.

The LÉ Samuel Beckett will replace the decommissioned LÉ Emer which was purchased by Nigerian-born businessman Cyprian Imobhio last year.

The 35-year-old LÉ Emer, which had been stripped of its armaments, made just €320,000 at auction — which was €80,000 below what she was expected to sell for.

The Naval Service has, meanwhile, ordered a second replacement ship for the fleet.

It is also being built in Appledore and is expected to be delivered in the spring of 2015.
    © Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Sounds like the skysail system that never really took off (I'll get my coat...)
    Keyvisual_SkySails-System_Wessels_960px.png
    http://www.skysails.info/index.php?L=1

nowecant wrote: »
    Has anyone else got confirmation of this?

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/cwojgbgbauau/rss2/

Confirming what exactly? The Kite, or the 2nd ship?

The second ship. I thought it would not be confirmed until the INS started, or even finished sea trials.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭source

nowecant wrote: »
    The second ship. I thought it would not be confirmed until the INS started, or even finished sea trials.

The second ship was always happening, there is an option for a third which hasn't been taken yet.

Just some lazy/uninformed journalism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Anyone know when in 2015 the option on the third patrol vessel is open till ? Presume it'll be a last minute announcement one way or other...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

I guess its almost certain the third OPV will be called William Butler Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 23,822 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I disagree with the literary naming scheme, its inappropriate for military vessels.

I suggested before the vessels should be named after great port towns and cities but as we enter a decade of remembrance, I think we're grown up enough to name the Naval service ships after patriots. How about Robert Erskine Childers or Roger Casement? Both seagoing connections to the fight for independence.

I visited the Asgard exhibit in Collins' Barracks at the weekend and it was very enjoyable, the efforts of Childers and others were extraordinary.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Larbre34 wrote: »
    How about Robert Erskine Childers or Roger Casement? Both seagoing connections to the fight for independence.
    Casement is already in use for Baldonnel ;)

I liked the old girls names, like our old coins with animals them. Distinctive but not pretensions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭sparky42

Casement is already in use for Baldonnel ;)

I liked the old girls names, like our old coins with animals them. Distinctive but not pretensions.

I agree however all I really care about is getting more ships no matter what they are called.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Noob question:

Is there a Max size for a patrol vessel?
    I mean, can they order one slightly bigger to accommodate a rescue helicopter & its crew?

Or does that require a bigger class of ship?

Noob question:

Is there a Max size for a patrol vessel?
    I mean, can they order one slightly bigger to accommodate a rescue helicopter & its crew?

Or does that require a bigger class of ship?

Patrol vessel is a woolly enough term, there has been a bit of chat in here before about specifications for Extended Patrol Vessels (bigger and tougher for the open ocean than Offshore Patrol Vessels) and Multi-Role Vessels which are more like platforms for deployment of equipment and aid/assistance in civil roles.

The New Zealanders have a variant of the Irish P50 and P60 classes with reduced superstructure to accommodate helicopter decks and hangars, so it doesnt really have to be bigger to carry a helo.

In more typical naval classifications, the new Irish ships are Corvette size, however they dont have the outright armament and armour of a NATO spec Corvette built for engagement of sea or aircraft.

Any larger than about 120 metres and you're into small/general purpose frigate size, however as the post below will show, the Naval Service dipped their toe in the water of seeking a larger patrol vessel before, roughly the size of an RN Type-23 Frigate, although without the warship characteristics to call it a Frigate

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=88383632&postcount=350

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Wheelsonthebus

New Picture of her....

Taken Jan 15th

Ok dont know why that isn't working but link is here.....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47515486@N05/12056934944/

by Flicker user "Hefin Owen"

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47515486@N05/

Another one here:

jcFG3o

Taken 12th Jan by Flickr user "Stuart mitchell"

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stumitc/

I'm not great at technology but the link is here anyway... http://flic.kr/p/jcFG3o

• Registered Users Posts: 24 jerryqu

If i may also ask a slightly off topic landlubber-noob question.

In the summer of 2009 La Figaro ocean race visited Dingle.

The race was accompanied by the LE Ciara and the French Patrol Vessel Cormoran.

I visited the Cormoran which was open to the public. I was quiet struck by her clean lines and open plan bridge with its 360 panoramic view.
    What most impressed me was the stern ramp launch and recovery system for her internally housed RIB. To my untrained eye this looked like a far safer and physically far less wearing way to go about bread and butter/ life or death launches of a RIB in heavy weather than our Ciara’s over the side arrangement.

I know from posts here that when it comes to the North Atlantic bigger is better, but would we be better off trying to buy three of these types, which operate off the west of France in similar weather, rather than trying for a third P60 class vessel?

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭zone 1

great pictures.

• Advertisement

Nice to see the upper fixtures complete. Loving the boxed-in mast array, can we call her a Stealth ship? ;)

Pull the tarps off the main gun and send her on over!

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭zone 1

is that the right rader the top one for aircraft.. thought might be like P31 rader.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

nice to see the new pictures. It looks similar to what has gone before but a few new design changes.

jerryqu wrote: »
    If i may also ask a slightly off topic landlubber-noob question.

In the summer of 2009 La Figaro ocean race visited Dingle.

The race was accompanied by the LE Ciara and the French Patrol Vessel Cormoran.

I visited the Cormoran which was open to the public. I was quiet struck by her clean lines and open plan bridge with its 360 panoramic view.
    What most impressed me was the stern ramp launch and recovery system for her internally housed RIB. To my untrained eye this looked like a far safer and physically far less wearing way to go about bread and butter/ life or death launches of a RIB in heavy weather than our Ciara’s over the side arrangement.

I know from posts here that when it comes to the North Atlantic bigger is better, but would we be better off trying to buy three of these types, which operate off the west of France in similar weather, rather than trying for a third P60 class vessel?

No.

JUst No.

NO, No No. Cormoran and her sisters spend their careers sheltering in the larger French harbours in the winter, and dashing across the channel and following yacht races in the summer.

Sliding backwards into the wake of a larger vessel is safer than launching over the side in the same way that using a candle to check if there is fuel in your tank is safer than using a match.
    The Future, in all weather operations is the Caley system, as seen on Eithne, Niamh, Roisin, and the 2 soon to be delivered ships. Here is it in operation. It is also in use by most offshore support vessels, where safe launch and recovery of a daughter craft is vital in all sea conditions.

The Customs cutters are fitted with the stern Launch arrangement for their rib. They spend most of the year tied up in Kinsale. Make what you will of that.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

The Customs cutters are fitted with the stern Launch arrangement for their rib. They spend most of the year tied up in Kinsale. Make what you will of that.

I'd say it's entirely reasonable for a 19m boat to have a stern launching & recovery rib design, how else would they operate with a daughter craft of this size?

Here's a report the USCG did on the subject
    http://www.nmri.go.jp/main/cooperation/ujnr/24ujnr_paper_us/Advanced_Ship_Technology/AST_Sheinberg_Cleary.pdf

There are several navies around the world using this design
    http://www.columbiagroup.com/newsletters/TCG%20Pulse%20Winter%202011.pdf

And another report entitled 'Boat Launch and Recovery – A Key Enabling Technology For Flexible Warships'
    http://www.bmtdsl.co.uk/media/1057740/BMTDSL-Boat-Launch-and-Recovery-Conpaper-Pacificcon-Jan12.pdf

And finally, an OPV with the stern launch and recovery design

It probably comes down to training and experience, keep doing what you are best at, but that's not to say the current way is always best:

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭a/tel

Tabnabs wrote: »
    I'd say it's entirely reasonable for a 19m boat to have a stern launching & recovery rib design, how else would they operate with a daughter craft of this size?

Here's a report the USCG did on the subject
    http://www.nmri.go.jp/main/cooperation/ujnr/24ujnr_paper_us/Advanced_Ship_Technology/AST_Sheinberg_Cleary.pdf

There are several navies around the world using this design
    http://www.columbiagroup.com/newsletters/TCG%20Pulse%20Winter%202011.pdf

And another report entitled 'Boat Launch and Recovery – A Key Enabling Technology For Flexible Warships'
    http://www.bmtdsl.co.uk/media/1057740/BMTDSL-Boat-Launch-and-Recovery-Conpaper-Pacificcon-Jan12.pdf

And finally, an OPV with the stern launch and recovery design

It probably comes down to training and experience, keep doing what you are best at, but that's not to say the current way is always best:

:eek:

No proper boat rope system, thats why the LPV Caley Davitts are the ideal recovery system. No danger of being pulled under the ship.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭cruasder777

Thank you for the clip which has nothing to do with anything else in the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Savage93

sweet Jesus, is there no place I can go to get away from you!!!!!!

• Advertisement

12270320626_55352190e7_c.jpg
    02-02-14 The 'LE' Samuel Beckett at Appledore. North Devon by James Lennie, on Flickr

Looks finished to me. Just Inflatable liferafts missing.

Advertisement