Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 New Navy Vessels for Irish Naval Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,822 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Great pic. In case Devon are looking for all their missing water, its in Limerick!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

There's a fair bit of it in somerset too.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭nowecant

Looks great.

I wish RTE, maybe Nationwide, had sent over a camera crew every now and again for a segment on her. Or maybe they have?

Also is there 2 or 3 RIBS on the OPV?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭sparky42

nowecant wrote: »
    Looks great.

I wish RTE, maybe Nationwide, had sent over a camera crew every now and again for a segment on her. Or maybe they have?

Also is there 2 or 3 RIBS on the OPV?

Hopefully at least the Defence Forces will have recorded the build, like they did for Róisín (or was it Niamh?). And from memory isn't it 3, two mounted on the sides and one at the back?

I see that the programme manager for the P60's is giving a lecture on the programme in Rochestown Park Hotel for Engineers Ireland next Tuesday. I'm sure that there will be some interesting info from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 jerryqu

Is it standard proceedure for such a large vessel to be taking the ground twice a day like Sam is at the moment.
    Would the mud and silt at the quayside distribute the dead weight and stresses evenly like a proper dry dock?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

12270320626_55352190e7_c.jpg
    02-02-14 The 'LE' Samuel Beckett at Appledore. North Devon by James Lennie, on Flickr

Looks finished to me. Just Inflatable liferafts missing.

That is one fine-lookin' ship, right there.

tac

jerryqu wrote: »
    Is it standard proceedure for such a large vessel to be taking the ground twice a day like Sam is at the moment.
    Would the mud and silt at the quayside distribute the dead weight and stresses evenly like a proper dry dock?

If anything, mud would distribute the "weight" far more evenly than a proper dry dock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

Looks the business !! They did a great job finishing her off.. when I first saw it I wasn't 100% on the aesthetics but she looks proper now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

12270320626_55352190e7_c.jpg
    02-02-14 The 'LE' Samuel Beckett at Appledore. North Devon by James Lennie, on Flickr

she'd (he?) look great in the Indian Ocean with a battle ensign streaming in the wind and a pirate swinging from the mast...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

OS119 wrote: »
    she'd (he?) look great in the Indian Ocean with a battle ensign streaming in the wind and a pirate swinging from the mast...

Ah here, I'd hate to know what goes through yr head while you're driving ... :)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement

I'd like to see her bearing an emerald-green battle ensign, bearing the words 'Fág an Bealach!'

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

tac foley wrote: »
    I'd like to see her bearing an emerald-green battle ensign, bearing the words 'Fág an Bealach!'

tac

i'd like to see her (he?) streaming a battle ensign with 'fooking pirate motherfcukers - ye's gonna die bitches!' written on it.

obviously it would have to be quite a long battle ensign - and if it was emerald green, might that not confuse it with the Saudi's?

(hands up if you want hear a joke about a Saudi warship and a camel...)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,822 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Are we supposed to be joining EUNAVFOR?

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭zone 1

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Are we supposed to be joining EUNAVFOR?

did they not send 2 officers over to the HQ in england few years back. and for joining or sending ships no cant see this happing.

tac

Navies don't need gaps. At sea there are no "bealachí" to "fág".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

tac

I would like to see her with the WWI camo job (Dazzle camouflage) making it look really hard to judge how far it is away. I always thought that looked kick ass.:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

aindriu80 wrote: »
    I would like to see her with the WWI camo job (Dazzle camouflage) making it look really hard to judge how far it is away. I always thought that looked kick ass.:D
    Not sure missiles get confused by it

Navies don't need gaps. At sea there are no "bealachí" to "fág".

Thank you for that lesson.

'Clear the way!' - the usual translation, would be good enough for most English speakers, and send a message, too.

Please read - Faugh a Ballagh (/ˌfɔːɡ ə ˈbæləx/ FAWKH ə BAL-əkh; also written Faugh an Beallach) is a battle cry of Irish origin, meaning "clear the way". The spelling is an 18th-century anglicization of the Irish language phrase Fág an Bealach, also written Fág a' Bealach. Its first recorded use as a regimental motto was by the Royal Irish Fusiliers in 1798. It remains the motto of the Royal Irish Regiment today.[1][2]

It was adopted due to the blood curdling battle-cry of Sergeant Patrick Masterson as he tore into the French ranks, with Ensign Keogh, to capture the first French Imperial Eagle to be taken in battle – during the Battle of Barossa. He was then heard to cry 'Be Jabers Boys! I have the Cuckoo!' as he held it triumphantly aloft to rouse the spirits of his men.[citation needed] Ensign Keogh did not survive the daring dash into the French ranks.

It was popularized outside of Ireland during the American Civil War by the Army of the Potomac's Irish Brigade – composed of the 69th New York Volunteer Infantry (NYVI) or "Fighting 69th", the 63rd & 88th NYVI, and later the 116th Pennsylvania and 28th Massachusetts Infantry regiments. A variant transliteration of the motto, 'Faj an Bealac!' was inscribed on the regimental colors of the (Federal) 7th Missouri Volunteer Infantry, the "Irish Seventh", which fought in the Civil War's Western Theater as part of Grant and Sherman's Army of the Tennessee.

The motto was also adopted by the 55th Battalion of the Australian 5th Division during the First World War.

Since then it has appeared rather infrequently in spoken language but has enjoyed some popularity in print, appearing on mugs, t-shirts, etc.

Historian and musician Derek Warfield released a book and companion CD, which he entitled "Clear the Way", dealing with the history of the 69th Regiment.

There is also a dam and a road in Bendigo, Australia which is named Faugh A Ballagh.

The phrase is referenced in the Dropkick Murphys' "The Legend of Finn MacCumhail" and "Heroes From Our Past"

The Irish language form of the phrase Fág an Bealach was used as the title of a recent two part documentary series on the Irish Brigade in the American Civil War broadcast on the Irish language television channel TG4.[3]

The phrase is used in Irish Road Bowling to clear the road before a shot.

During the American Civil War in Company I, 8th Alabama Infantry Regiment, 104 of the 109 men were Irish Born. The men wore dark green uniforms; their banner was a Confederate Flag on one side with a full-length figure of George Washington in the center. The reverse was green, with a harp, shamrocks, and the slogans "Erin-go bragh" (Ireland forever) and "Faugh- a ballagh"- Clear the way.

tac

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/navys-newest-recruit-beckett-set-for-sea-trials-this-month-258017.html

Navy’s newest recruit Beckett set for sea trials this month

Friday, February 07, 2014

Ship ahoy! Navy top brass have confirmed that key personnel will shortly be sent to Devon to familiarise themselves with technology onboard their newest vessel before taking her on sea trials later this month.

The confirmation came from Officer Commanding the Naval College, Commander Dave Barry, after he took the salute at a passing out parade of 23 recruits — some of whom will be among the 45-strong crew to man the new €50m LE Samuel Beckett.

It is expected the stealth-style vessel will arrive at Navy headquarters in Haulbowline next month and will be followed in 2015 by her sister ship, LE James Joyce.

Stephen Histon, who acted as petty officer of the recruit class, has already been appointed bosun on the LE Samuel Beckett and will be among the first to put the ship through its paces.

While great to hear about, I see the usual standards of Irish reporting regarding military equipment continues, "Stealth-Style"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

Sam Beckett is due in Irish waters in two months and the west wall in the naval base hasnt been redeveloped as scheduled.

Whats going on? Surely theres going to be a few issues with berthing in the naval basin due to P61's size.

mikeym wrote: »
    Sam Beckett is due in Irish waters in two months and the west wall in the naval base hasnt been redeveloped as scheduled.

Whats going on? Surely theres going to be a few issues with berthing in the naval basin due to P61's size.

Why? The basin has enough space in length for the Beckett, and surely the ships that supplied steel were even larger?

how do you make this out . what has not been done??

I think i remember something several years back about the INS buying additional space, was this the west key?

It is an interesting question regarding facilities, are we lacking? or do we have sufficient? Is there a wish list? can anyone shed some light?

I think i remember something several years back about the INS buying additional space, was this the west key?

It is an interesting question regarding facilities, are we lacking? or do we have sufficient? Is there a wish list? can anyone shed some light?

I thought that was in relation to the EPV, not the P60's? Looking at it I really can't see the current mooring position as being a restriction on Beckett, though I'm open to correction.

this would be like having airport with no room for planes to land so to speak that cant be true. im sure whos ever in charge this was looked at...

old irish steel plant had west wall for loading and unloading and old dry dock from what pictures ive seen...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

sparky42 wrote: »
    While great to hear about, I see the usual standards of Irish reporting regarding military equipment continues, "Stealth-Style"?

Its for fishery protection. Its stops them getting battered.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

From a health and safety point of view the west wall area is very dangerous and is not very well lit during the night.

From what I heard it was to be developed for the arrival of the new ship because of its size. Maybe its not going to happen due to budget cuts.

• Advertisement

From a health and safety point of view the west wall area is very dangerous and is not very well lit during the night.

From what I heard it was to be developed for the arrival of the new ship because of its size. Maybe its not going to happen due to budget cuts.

While I agree that the West Wall isn't up to standards, again I thought the suggestion was that would be for the larger EPV not the 90m P60 class. I'm fairly sure the East wall area can handle the Beckett class without issue, I've seen two ships end to end tied up on the east wall on occasion.

Advertisement