Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry Adams? Are things that bad?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

You need to be realistic. A vote for SF is a vote to make them the main opposition. A role they will excel in. The chances of them getting into govt are small, and they certainly wont be the main govt party. A SF labor coalition is a remote possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

or you a politican by any chance as you continue to avoid the question of who you think should get elected actual names and parties not just more waffle
    ^^^^^^^^^^^
    Just a reminder for you garrincha62 ;)

Just a reminder 10 green bottles:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

so the educated thing yo do is to take a multi billion pound debt on so that we can get a loan to run the country and payback the loan to pay the debt to pay the interest on the loan which inevitably we wont be able to pay back

More or less, Yes. I know you were trying to be facetious but it's not far from the norm. That's what states do. They all do it. The only flaw in your comment is regarding the inability to repay the loan. Of course it will be re-paid - hence the austerity measures. This is normal. National debt is a constant in all countries. We cleared much of ours during the boom but (like the poor) it will always be with us. Granted we must pay over the odds on the interest rate at the moment, but we all have to take some blame for expecting a lifestyle beyond our means.

You need to enlighten yourself on how countries function and on international economics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Care to be more specific? Adams, and likewise others in the past from other parties, who is not from the constituancy will not get my vote. I can't abide candidates being parachuted into Louth with no grounding in the place. SF had a rep in the county, and have plenty of others in local government, so why drop Gerry Adams in for the seat?

+1

Adams certainly won't be getting my vote. What the hell does he care about Louth? He has no connection to here whatsoever and a summer house in Ravensdale isn't going to change this.
    I'm not anti Sinn Fein in fact I've voted for Kevin Meenen in the local elections but it should be a Louth Man/Woman representing the county not someone parachuted in with an agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭garrincha62

@10 green bottles.

I'm hardly a local politician if I'm living in Brazil am I?

I am planning to vote for Labour but am open to any other 'credible' ideas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bosh

Baron Gerry Adams??

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0126/adamsg.html

That'll sit well with the lads from Divis.... :p

Ahahahahahahahhahahaha

ahahahahahhahahahahhaaha

A Baron of the Manor of Northstead!

How very Republican. ahahahhahahahahahah
    ahhahahahahah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    Of course we should pay extortionate interest rates and shackle the country with debt for generations in order to save the banks and by extension Europes banks and even the Euro itself.

I was against the bailout for different reasons but SF have no alternative plan whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bosh

"He said he had not received any communication since sending his letter of resignation, but that Downing Street has now apologised.

He stated that it is against his beliefs as a republican leader to take on a Crown post.

"When I was told of the British Prime Minister's remarks today this was the first I heard of this development," Mr Adams said.

"I have spoken to the Prime Ministers Private Secretary today and he has apologised for today's events."

My italics.

Forgive my confusion, but if he has not received any communication since sending his letter, how did he receive an apology?

Does speaking to the PM's private secretary not qualify as a communication? :confused:

• Advertisement

had not

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

doncarlos wrote: »
    +1

Adams certainly won't be getting my vote. What the hell does he care about Louth? He has no connection to here whatsoever and a summer house in Ravensdale isn't going to change this.
    I'm not anti Sinn Fein in fact I've voted for Kevin Meenen in the local elections but it should be a Louth Man/Woman representing the county not someone parachuted in with an agenda.
    What about say Dublin North West, where a Kerryman who lives in Ashbourne, Co Meath has represented that constituency and i'm sure there's many more situations like this around the country. SF have a very strong base in Louth so its not like Adams is been parachuted in with no knowledge of local issues. You accept each politician on their merits, Adams has a vote of 70% in his own constituency so thats pretty resounding imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Raffo69

@10 green bottles.

I'm hardly a local politician if I'm living in Brazil am I?

I am planning to vote for Labour but am open to any other 'credible' ideas.

How do you plan on voting if you're living in Brazil? I'm no expert on the voting process but would you even have a vote?

Raffo69 wrote: »
    How do you plan on voting if you're living in Brazil? I'm no expert on the voting process but would you even have a vote?

I hope to be in Ireland on the date of the election.

If I'm not then I can't vote ;( Goodness knows how many like me there are and how many votes the current opposition parties are losing due to emigration.

I'm pretty sure you must be working for the government and posted abroad to be able to vote.

Wolfe Tone wrote: »

That he even has to go on record to deny it only makes it funnier.

Hugely damaging. What would the hunger strikers or the lads on the Bridge of Peace that do wave black flags at cars in memory of the hunger strikers think of this?

Shocking.

That he even has to go on record to deny it only makes it funnier.

Hugely damaging. What would the hunger strikers or the lads on the Bridge of Peace that do wave black flags at cars in memory of the hunger strikers think of this?

Shocking.
    It depends, if they are anti gfa republicans they would hate Adams anyway!

For the record I think its pretty funny too, you think he could just resign without all this medieval crap!

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭wyndhurst

Based on Baron Gerry's media performances this week it might be a good excuse & opportunity for SF to pull him from the ticket. Gerry is an embarrassment to SF in the Republic. The man is an imbecile when it comes to economics and this election will be fought purely on economic policy. SF need to copy FG and hide their leader as much as possible. (Maybe a few weeks holidays in the Manor of Northstead)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭wee truck big driver

marienbad wrote: »
    In a nutshell , yes. Alternative -country stops, not next year, or next month , but now. Thats means no money in cash machines tonight, no pay for public servants this week, no money for social welfare this week.

Is that what you propose ?

sure we had billions in the pension reserve (which we have now handed over to eu/imf ) with that and even harsher cuts increased taxes and not having to bail out the banks debts we would have made it. without the usual b.s. the simple fact is if a person is stony broke and spending more than they are making nobody would give them a loan and thats what has happened to the country. as for all countries having debts that cant be right otherwise who is lending the money and loads of people have debts thats not a problem when you are spending less than your making and have the ability to pay them

wyndhurst wrote: »
    Based on Baron Gerry's media performances this week it might be a good excuse & opportunity for SF to pull him from the ticket. Gerry is an embarrassment to SF in the Republic. The man is an imbecile when it comes to economics and this election will be fought purely on economic policy. SF need to copy FG and hide their leader as much as possible. (Maybe a few weeks holidays in the Manor of Northstead)
    MEDIA PERFORMANCES
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ms9WE7FoPM4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMcpEaYsb7M

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

The major problem we have is that there is simply no credible opposition in Ireland. Even with a FF party that has effectively brought the country to it's knees most people would not really know how they would vote in the next election. I know I don't. That in itself is a really frightening thought.

A shameful political system that needs so much reform I doubt any one person currently standing in the Dail truly understands how much or even why.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TommyT

I`ll see your "Media Performances" and raise with Gerrys VAT shocker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UoGl78MzWY

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

TommyT wrote: »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UoGl78MzWY

Is'nt he some eejit, the leader of sin fein does'nt know the vat rate.
    I cannot wait for the cover up story,, good man Gerry.

Pearse D. knows it all,no worrys :)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyYVfuedy0g
    Todays speech to follow.

TommyT wrote: »
    Gambling and playing "Chicken" is the reason that this Country finds it self where it is now!!!

Has the good Baron started canvassing yet? I'm not sure if Barons are allowed into Moneymore.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Bosh and TommyT your attempts at humour are not welcome in this thread so please refrain from posting if you have nothing constructive to add.

Has the good Baron started canvassing yet? I'm not sure if Barons are allowed into Moneymore.
    Amigo:p SF have been on the canvass many months,Moneymore will no doubt return a high percentage of votes for the party Go Raibh Maith Agat.The hard work was put into the area over the last few years,no empty promises given, just hard grind on a localised basis.

Amigo:p SF have been on the canvass many months,Moneymore will no doubt return a high percentage of votes for the party Go Raibh Maith Agat.The hard work was put into the area over the last few years,no empty promises given, just hard grind on a localised basis.

You are right. What I meant to ask was if they have been knocking on doors away from the working class areas that are their stronghold. SF do sterling work on local issues it cannot be denied. I can recall playing Wilton bingo in the Drogheda Leader.

No drain too clogged, no single yellow line that can't be made into a double, no pothole too small, no pedestrian crossing too isolated...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 tiffmister

During the last elections in 2007, Gerry Adams went on Prime Time and was embarrassed as regards economic policy. It cost Sinn Fein at least 2 seats in the elections, not least Mary Lou. Correct me if I am wrong but the policies for economic recovery that SF have championed just don't seem realistic to me. I am not FF\FG. I am just worried that people are going to vote for him for the wrong reasons. Ireland needs people who know what they are talking about and I think Shanks Godfrey has a firmer grasp of economics (slippery though that might be) than Adams. Why would anyone vote for him?

When questioned by the BBC he didn't even know the irish Vat rate, what an unbelievable waist of time this man is, who does he think he's kidding.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭wee truck big driver

gerrys getting elected to those who dont like that tough titty no amount of abusing here is going to change that and will make you all look even stupider when he romps home by the way what does one of the dirtiest players to ever pull on a clans jersey know about politics

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement