Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry Adams? Are things that bad?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

http://www.thejournal.ie/daughter-of-ira-disappeared-may-run-against-gerry-adams-2011-01/
    The Sunday Independent reports that Helen McKendry, the eldest daughter of Jean McConville, is interested in running in the Louth constituency, where Adams is to be a candidate, as a protest to stop Adams from being elected.

McKendry’s husband Seamus told the paper that it was “quite cynical to think he [Adams] is running in the same constituency where they buried Jean.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

She'd never get elected but I hope she goes for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

Adams might not get it as easy as he thinks, a lot of Morgans supporters are not happy with him being brushed aside and I do not believe a word that he is going back to the family business, what if adams does'nt get elected, now that would be some talking point.
    Any way if he is so high profile why did he take a dead cert seat for the shinners off Morgan/Sharkey, and not try and win another seat else where.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

macadam wrote: »
    Adams might not get it as easy as he thinks, a lot of Morgans supporters are not happy with him being brushed aside and I do not believe a word that he is going back to the family business, what if adams does'nt get elected, now that would be some talking point.
    Any way if he is so high profile why did he take a dead cert seat for the shinners off Morgan/Sharkey, and not try and win another seat else where.
    What are you about? Morgan told everyone a few years ago he was going to step down, they have been conducting meetings together where Morgan has been vouching for Gerry. Its quite the complement that SF thought the only man to replace him was the president.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Has he even managed to get on the electoral roll yet?

I think his press conference today indicated his strong commitment to his residence in Louth. Was it in Dundalk or Drogheda? No, it was in Belfast. Does he not even have the ability to drive south for an hour or so?

I have no time for his politics which are borne of discredited idealogy but especially for his contempt for our little Free State. Sinn Fein should be capable of selecting from its party membership in this country.

Apologies, I'm not from Louth and if anyone feels my views are irrelevant, I suspect I've spent as much time there (9 months when I was a teenager) as GA.

• Advertisement

Marcusm wrote: »
    Has he even managed to get on the electoral roll yet?

I think his press conference today indicated his strong commitment to his residence in Louth. Was it in Dundalk or Drogheda? No, it was in Belfast. Does he not even have the ability to drive south for an hour or so?

I have no time for his politics which are borne of discredited idealogy but especially for his contempt for our little Free State. Sinn Fein should be capable of selecting from its party membership in this country.

Apologies, I'm not from Louth and if anyone feels my views are irrelevant, I suspect I've spent as much time there (9 months when I was a teenager) as GA.
    I have seen Gerry in Drogheda tons of times, he has strong connections with the area, he is in Dundalk even more, opened an office the other day I think too.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭MightyMighty737

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    he has strong connections with the area,

What are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

indiewindy wrote: »
    http://www.thejournal.ie/daughter-of-ira-disappeared-may-run-against-gerry-adams-2011-01/
    The Sunday Independent reports that Helen McKendry, the eldest daughter of Jean McConville, is interested in running in the Louth constituency, where Adams is to be a candidate, as a protest to stop Adams from being elected.

McKendry’s husband Seamus told the paper that it was “quite cynical to think he [Adams] is running in the same constituency where they buried Jean.”

And Martin Ferris in Gerry Mccabe country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭kyosushi

A united Ireland fully independent of the United Kingdom is all that Sinn Fein want . If you are just a sheep follower of that thinking you will no doubt vote in Gerry Adams into louth like they have done in Roscommon with a gob****e like Ming the turfer ,

We the Irish People will vote into power an educated government by an educated people for our own good and not a Gerry Adams movement to move South .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

Good lad, if you can't debate then just insult.

So you condescend?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭garrincha62

Dunny! wrote: »
    So you condescend?

Well done sticking up for your friend. I suggest sticking to the original post. Do you think that Jean McConville's Daughter running will take votes away from GA?

Fair play to her for running I say, people forget all to easily. And she probably has as good a grasp on economics as GA. Joking aside, this is a time for candidates with a grasp of the economic issues. It seems all sorts of independents are going to run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭10green bottles

News today that Peter Fitzpatrick is definitely running for FG in Louth/East meath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I have seen Gerry in Drogheda tons of times, he has strong connections with the area, he is in Dundalk even more...

Care to be more specific? Adams, and likewise others in the past from other parties, who is not from the constituancy will not get my vote. I can't abide candidates being parachuted into Louth with no grounding in the place. SF had a rep in the county, and have plenty of others in local government, so why drop Gerry Adams in for the seat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭wee truck big driver

wasnt sure whether to vote for gerry or not but am definetly going to if for no other reason than to p1ss off the people who want a person educated in ecconomy to lead us back to where we where during the celtic tiger. a nation of a greedy bunch of aggrogant pr1cks you would have thought people would have learned there lesson

as for helen mc hendry running she is sure to galvanise the sinn fein vote and bound to take votes from the people who or running against them

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Well done sticking up for your friend. I suggest sticking to the original post. Do you think that Jean McConville's Daughter running will take votes away from GA?

She'll split the vote of people who would never vote for Gerry most likely. However her getting any publicity will damage Sinn Fein's nationwide bid

wasnt sure whether to vote for gerry or not but am definetly going to if for no other reason than to p1ss off the people who want a person educated in ecconomy to lead us back to where we where during the celtic tiger. a nation of a greedy bunch of aggrogant pr1cks you would have thought people would have learned there lesson

Hmm, that seems like a silly thing to do. It seems the country is in an economic mess. Wanting someone who possesses the requisite skills to manage a responsible economy seems like a rational thing to want. Why would anyone want to go back to the Celtic Tiger greed?

Being skilled in an area is no bad thing. I think you are confusing people who want candidates with the right skill set with the publicans & wide boys of FF who managed the Celtic Tiger.

I would ask what skills GA has.

Skilled negotiator in consociationalism? Yes.
    Ability to organise clandestine resistance to 'foreign invader'? Yes.
    Famed for innovative and credible economic polices? Em, no.

Hmm, that seems like a silly thing to do. It seems the country is in an economic mess. Wanting someone who possesses the requisite skills to manage a responsible economy seems like a rational thing to want. Why would anyone want to go back to the Celtic Tiger greed?

Being skilled in an area is no bad thing. I think you are confusing people who want candidates with the right skill set with the publicans & wide boys of FF who managed the Celtic Tiger.

I would ask what skills GA has.

Skilled negotiator in consociationalism? Yes.
    Ability to organise clandestine resistance to 'foreign invader'? Yes.
    Famed for innovative and credible economic polices? Em, no.

so who was the only party not following fianna fail's lead in ecconomic policies at the last election..... so why dont you educate us who has been preaching this innovative different brand of economics that will sort the country out an return us to one of the leading economies in the world

Heartfelt though their opposition is, it doesn't mean they are right. A stopped clock is right twice a day. May I refer you to this article, which explores SF economic policy better than I can.

Heartfelt though their opposition is, it doesn't mean they are right. A stopped clock is right twice a day. May I refer you to this article, which explores SF economic policy better than I can.

or you a politican by any chance as you continue to avoid the question of who you think should get elected actual names and parties not just more waffle
    as for the article this is still only an opinion just because its wrote down doesnt make it true plus i feel maybe we need to get worse so that we can rebuild fresh. its like an old house do you keep borrowing money for repairs putting of the inevitable or do you bring in the bulldozer flaten it and rebuild now

• Advertisement

wasnt sure whether to vote for gerry or not but am definetly going to if for no other reason than to p1ss off the people who want a person educated in ecconomy...

Good for you. That's the type of clear thinking and educated attitude to democracy we need to select the best people to run the country.

I despair at times!

so who was the only party not following fianna fail's lead in ecconomic policies at the last election..... so why dont you educate us who has been preaching this innovative different brand of economics that will sort the country out an return us to one of the leading economies in the world

Why don'y you show us who is providing any cogent alternative?

SF wants to cap the salaries of heads of state bodies at €100k. What planet are they on? I checked this out this week - 5 layers down from State Body heads are earning €100k or more. These are the rates for running companies of these sizes. Who the hell will you get to take on the CEO role for €100k? An example of SF playing to a certain clientele who haven't a bulls notion.

Another SF promise is to scrap the IMF bailout (note - not renegotiate it). OK, where will the funds come from to pay Gardai, Nurses, or Teachers next week?

Ecomonic policy has to be sound and those proposing it need to have some semblance of realisim. Yes, FF made a bags of it but don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Another SF promise is to scrap the IMF bailout (note - not renegotiate it). OK, where will the funds come from to pay Gardai, Nurses, or Teachers next week?
    Holy f**king crap. I didn't know that they were so far removed from reality. Next they'll be saying that they'll raise taxes...

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭not1but4

Marcusm wrote: »

Yeah I noticed this as well, its a real shame that someone like himself will get in.
    I know a lot of people may disagree with me for the following but leaving a side SF connections to a certain organisation, there area few things that bug me about that party. The way they spin stuff like by targeting the working class, they say they will increase taxes for the more well off and decrease for the less well off. Which sounds great yeah for the working class but when you consider how much tax the well off are already paying, the amount of drive and commitment they have to put in just to get into a that position of being more well off. It just says to me no matter how much effort/work you put in or how smart you are you will end up with the same wages as Jimmy down the road who never really put in any effort or was never really that smart.

Another thing like Srameen has mentioned by scrapping the IMF/EU bailout, like to the uneducated person it would sound good "we dont have to pay back any money to IMF/EU and interested on top of that" but em how would we run the country? Expect the public sector to work for free and somehow manage to pay their bills?

The one thing I have noticed that no one is out spoken in the party, like as you have seen with FF in recent days they have different views from their party colleagues but something like this would never happen with SF. Its the same with FG a lot of its members are outspoken as well and dont share some of the parties views.

All the said, IMO GA will top the polls which will be a very sad day for Louth.

As for Peter Fitzpatrick going for FG, em what the hell? Other then being the Louth manager who is terrible at public speaking what does this man bring to the table then the other FG candidates looking for the party ticket? Yeah a household name but how would him make a good TD? Does he have any idea what goes on in politics? Did he even go to college?

Of course we should pay extortionate interest rates and shackle the country with debt for generations in order to save the banks and by extension Europes banks and even the Euro itself.

Of course we should pay extortionate interest rates and shackle the country with debt for generations in order to save the banks and by extension Europes banks and even the Euro itself.

Absolutely fair comment, in as far as it goes, but, at the risk of straying off topic, it is incomplete. Irrespective of the banking element (which is a debate for another thread on another day) we were running a multi-billion Euro current expenditure deficit. This would have resulted in literally no funds for Public Sector wages or Social Welfare payments by the end of December last. How else would those billions have been obtained? The bond market was effectively closed to Ireland and that was the only other source of funds. I'm far from happy with the IMF deal but what party is offering any detail on their alternatives? SF just throw out these one-liners that appeal to a certain section of voter without any sound basis or detail of their own policies. Stop this, End that, etc. but never anything on what would replace them.

so the educated thing yo do is to take a multi billion pound debt on so that we can get a loan to run the country and payback the loan to pay the debt to pay the interest on the loan which inevitably we wont be able to pay back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭10green bottles

at the risk of straying off topic
    Why what is the topic???:confused: What is the thread about??????????????

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

so the educated thing yo do is to take a multi billion pound debt on so that we can get a loan to run the country and payback the loan to pay the debt to pay the interest on the loan which inevitably we wont be able to pay back

In a nutshell , yes. Alternative -country stops, not next year, or next month , but now. Thats means no money in cash machines tonight, no pay for public servants this week, no money for social welfare this week.

Is that what you propose ?

• Advertisement

During the last elections in 2007, Gerry Adams went on Prime Time and was embarrassed as regards economic policy. It cost Sinn Fein at least 2 seats in the elections, not least Mary Lou. Correct me if I am wrong but the policies for economic recovery that SF have championed just don't seem realistic to me. I am not FF\FG. I am just worried that people are going to vote for him for the wrong reasons. Ireland needs people who know what they are talking about and I think Shanks Godfrey has a firmer grasp of economics (slippery though that might be) than Adams. Why would anyone vote for him?

Just a reminder 10 green bottles:eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement