Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gaelforce west 20/8/2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

nothing is impossible if the desire is there they will finish. GF is easy. Way easier to finish GF under prepared than it would be to get through a marathon without the proper training but that can be done too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Yeah, it's dead easy, not enough nuts and bolts athletics for you ?

yes the mix of different sports takes the pressure off mentaly and physicaly and gives you a rest. This makes it easier than a matathon in my opinion although easy was the wrong choice of word. Its still an endurance event and CP is a tester,so it should be given respect but it can be achieved with not much training (like most events/races) if the will is there.It will take a lot more suffering and be a lot less enjoyable but can be done.Dont realy understand why people dont prepare properly anyway, it seems to be becoming a badge of honour lately for people to run races and bragg about how little training theyve done.More admirable to give athing your best shot imo. Sorry didnt mean to offend with original post.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Whistlejacket

4 stars (good)
    I completed the Connemara Adventure Challenge with my sister this year and we found that altering our position in the kayak intermittently helped a lot (as well as ensuring you are well hydrated and take some electrolytes like correctly diluted dioralyte).

I think a big factor in cramping for me anyway was the position in the kayak: you are sitting with your heels level with your hips and your knees slightly bent. Try bending one knee and moving your heel towards your crotch (like you are preparing to sit cross legged) hold it there for a few seconds and then swop legs. You can still paddle and it helped a lot for me anyway.

I climbed Croagh Patrick last weekend and we went for a drive to check out the cycle route afterwards. The first 20 miles are grand - on a sealed road surface with just one real hill to worry about. The last 5 miles are on unsealed roads and gravel tracks to the bottom of Croagh Patrick. Yes you might get a puncture but it's not really any worse than the first section of the cycle in the Connemara adventure challenge.

I'd suggest that you could do it on just about any type of a bike if you are looking to get around, just make sure you have spare tubes and a puncture repair kit with you on the day and that you are happy that you know how to fix a leak. It's a lot faster to fix a puncture and cycle on than walk beside the bike for a long way. I'm planning to use my road bike and get it fitted with slightly heavier tyres than its current slicks. I'll go with the advice of the lads in my local bike shop, who have been extremely helpful since I got back into cycling.

Note: I'm doing GF for the challenge and (hopefully!) amazing buzz of achievment at the finish so this advice is aimed at everyone else who is looking to get around and enjoy themselves. If you are experienced and looking for a fast time, the best of luck! I'm not offering recommendations for that level of athlete :D

Good luck with the training everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭Enduro

One thing you're all forgetting to prevent cramping in the kayak... Relax!!! Take it easy on the first run. Don't hammer out of the start, amble out, and jog along to the kayak. It's a long race. If you're cramping in the kayak you've probably gone out way too hard and you'll suffer badly in the 2nd half of the race no matter how many Nuuns/Deoralites you fire into yourself. Aim to finish the race moving at the same speed as when you start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Whistlejacket

4 stars (good)
    Great advice Enduro, it's meant to be enjoyable! Plus we should remember to take the time to admire the views along the route. Fingers crossed for a nice day on Aug 20th. It's not ALL sweat, pain and tears :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

yop wrote: »
    They signed up 6 weeks ago. :P

And I just had a cup of tea, 6 weeks ago. :P Yourself
    qwertier wrote: »
    The original comment was supposed to read: "I've just signed up for this years Gael Force West, on August 20th - a little over 6 weeks to go."

I knew it was a mistake, I was just being pedantic and trying to be funny at the same time. Doesn't always work.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

ultrapercy wrote: »
    yes the mix of different sports takes the pressure off mentaly and physicaly and gives you a rest. This makes it easier than a matathon in my opinion although easy was the wrong choice of word. Its still an endurance event and CP is a tester,so it should be given respect but it can be achieved with not much training (like most events/races) if the will is there.It will take a lot more suffering and be a lot less enjoyable but can be done.Dont realy understand why people dont prepare properly anyway, it seems to be becoming a badge of honour lately for people to run races and bragg about how little training theyve done.More admirable to give athing your best shot imo. Sorry didnt mean to offend with original post.

Have you done both marathon and GF? Easy or even any word close to that is an insult to the participants.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Mossess

qwertier wrote: »
    Hi All,

I've just signed up for this years Gael Force West, on August 20th - a little over 6 weeks ago. I have a background in triathlon and commute to work by bike but I've never done an adventure race.

Can it be done? Think positive people! Any advice, tips or training suggestions would be greatfully accepted!

I'll keep you updated.

“a background in triathlon” – it’ll be no bother to you at all. Break the distances down and you’ll see how easy it actually is.

Running: A half marathon over road, bog and mountains.
    Bike: 45.5km (ish) – ok, a lot of up hill work, and some off road stuff.
    Kayak: 1km (ish) – 10 minutes, actually if you don’t cramp up the easiest part of it.
    Serious Fun: every step, pedal and splash of the way.

It’s easily the best and friendliest event I’ve ever done. It’s like a we’re all in it together atmosphere.

done 20 plus marathons but GF just the once(4.36).I found GF enjoyable, but that may be down to the fact of not having the pressure of a time goal.Im sorry I didnt mean to be insulting to anybody,I was trying to encourage the person that had only 6 weeks to prepare.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

ultrapercy wrote: »
    done 20 plus marathons but GF just the once(4.36).I found GF enjoyable, but that may be down to the fact of not having the pressure of a time goal.Im sorry I didnt mean to be insulting to anybody,I was trying to encourage the person that had only 6 weeks to prepare.

Fair enough, but your 20 marathon and a 4.36 GF profile is probably not related to 60% of the people who do GF. Yes it might be easy to you but most of us are 1/2 marathon runners at best and a lot wouldn't even go near those distances.

If the poster has a background of triathlons, not unless they spent the last 5 years doing zero and eating the pies then they should complete GF, that said there are a lot of factors which might say they won't.

I doubt even the likes of P Marrey, Derbhal Devanney, Enduro etc would mark GF as easy.

You have a serious level of fitness that would be no doubt put you in the top 20% in terms of fitness.

I know you rolled back on the word "easy" though so thats fair enough.

certainly any event no matter how long or severe has to be given respect and the proper preparation to achieve the potential of the partisipant but to finish an event ie. no time/performance goal all you need is the will to do it. Im not the most articulate on a keyboard with my one finger typing so I hope what Im trying to say isnt misunderstood or comes across as arrogant.For the record I underestimated the prep for GF and paid the price by 30-45 mins, not knowing how to fix a puncture (throwing the bike repeatedly off the ground in frustration didnt do it) and riding a bike like Jessica Flecther were drawbacks.

Ah now, did you not put the bike on your back and run with it ;)

Not arrogant at all, text type/speak carries no "feeling" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭Enduro

yop wrote: »
    I doubt even the likes of P Marrey, Derbhal Devanney, Enduro etc would mark GF as easy.

You left out PeterX there!!! :eek:

I'm going to take a schrodinger's cat approach to it and say it is an easy race and it isn't. It depends on what you're actually refering to or comparing to.

Every race you do should be damn hard, whether it is a 100 meter sprint or a 9 day expedition race. Otherwise you're not giving it your best. Tunney was making a lot of valid points about this in a few threads recently.

However, if you're comparing it to proper full on adventure race then it is relatively easy, since it is so short and there are so many interesting aspects of adventure racing missing.

Personally speaking... it's a very easy event for me to complete, given my background and training regime. However it's an extremely difficult race for me to try and win, given the speed required, the level of competition that PeterX, P Marrey etc bring, and the fact that it is so short means there is no margin of error for any issues (Punctures etc are pretty much enrecoverable).

Now that's my personal take on it. For the vast majority of people taking part it is far from easy and definitely on a par with completing a marathon and other similar challenges.

I can see where Ultrapercy is coming from, and wouldn't disagree. It is easier to do 3 different sports in a 4.5 hour period than to run continuously for a 4.5 hour period. I think ye're being a bit harsh on the poor lad!
    (throwing the bike repeatedly off the ground in frustration didnt do it)

:D The Basil Faulty method of puncture repair!! That technique, or similar can actually work for some problems. I've seen tacoed wheels fixed by a few full weight stamps followed by some target hammering with a large rock.

Enduro wrote: »
    You left out PeterX there!!! :eek:

I'm going to take a schrodinger's cat approach to it and say it is an easy race and it isn't. It depends on what you're actually refering to or comparing to.

Every race you do should be damn hard, whether it is a 100 meter sprint or a 9 day expedition race. Otherwise you're not giving it your best. Tunney was making a lot of valid points about this in a few threads recently.

However, if you're comparing it to proper full on adventure race then it is relatively easy, since it is so short and there are so many interesting aspects of adventure racing missing.

Personally speaking... it's a very easy event for me to complete, given my background and training regime. However it's an extremely difficult race for me to try and win, given the speed required, the level of competition that PeterX, P Marrey etc bring, and the fact that it is so short means there is no margin of error for any issues (Punctures etc are pretty much enrecoverable).

Now that's my personal take on it. For the vast majority of people taking part it is far from easy and definitely on a par with completing a marathon and other similar challenges.

I can see where Ultrapercy is coming from, and wouldn't disagree. It is easier to do 3 different sports in a 4.5 hour period than to run continuously for a 4.5 hour period. I think ye're being a bit harsh on the poor lad!

:D The Basil Faulty method of puncture repair!! That technique, or similar can actually work for some problems. I've seen tacoed wheels fixed by a few full weight stamps followed by some target hammering with a large rock.

Depends on the person as you said. Some people can run for 4.5 hrs but the same person would struggle for the same on a bike.

Not harsh at all, I have seen the pain on Croagh Patrick :) (not that I saw too much when my arse was been handed to me on a plate going up there :D)

Speaking of things being easy, if your caught short on the top of CP, for example, how EASY is it to take a leak in a Tri Suit?

(on the verge of buying one)

Mossess wrote: »
    Speaking of things being easy, if your caught short on the top of CP, for example, how EASY is it to take a leak in a Tri Suit?

Well, not actually IN THE TRI SUIT, but while wearing one. :rolleyes:
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

3 stars (average)

Well get a black one! You won't see the stains that way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭makl

sure try in the shop

Enduro wrote: »
    I've never worn cycling shoes in GFW. No shoe changes anywhere... trail shoes all the way, with clips (cages) on flat pedals on the bike. This eliminates all the transition time of shoe changes, and means you're not cycling with an extra pair of shoes as luggage! But each to their own. If there is a significant difference in your cycling speed with cleats is might be worth changing. You can work it out beforehand if you're really smart about it (time yourself for everything and see how the various options will work out for the GF course). The other issue with this set-up is it demands more ccycling skills to be able to cycle a road bike offroad with pedal clips (you're far less likely to be able to release your feet in a fall).

any photos anywhere of the offroad bike section that you know of? cheers for advice re toe clips, just bought a new set yest, was wonderin whether to go for pedal clips...

• Advertisement

3 stars (average)
    makl wrote: »
    any photos anywhere of the offroad bike section that you know of? cheers for advice re toe clips, just bought a new set yest, was wonderin whether to go for pedal clips...

From last years thread.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=65903100&postcount=48
    Enjoy!

Actually, Mr Freezes photos are much better to see the surface with.

Mr Freeze wrote: »

yea defo need to pace yourself. gona head up there in 2 weeks and check it out on an old bike. nice1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

yea defo need to pace yourself. gona head up there in 2 weeks and check it out on an old bike. nice1.

Might be a better idea to try it on the bike you're actually going to race on.

I don't think the offroad section is that bad, certainly won't wreck your bike. The scelp might tho.

3 stars (average)
    nerraw1111 wrote: »

I don't think the offroad section is that bad, certainly won't wreck your bike. The scelp might tho.

+1 to this.

I will be doing the race on a racer with winter tyres, pumped up to 120psi and will just take it easy up there, avoiding pot holes, ruts and large stones, and keep my weight balanced so as not to puncture the back wheel going down one of the hills on something.

Climbing up some of the hills that are steep and have lots of loose gravel, stay in the saddle and an easy gear and hopefully the back wheel shouldn't skid too much, standing up on the bike in these sections could cause ya to lose grip and come off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Rinker

2 stars (poor)
    I stayed on the bike all the way over Skelp last year. I'd planned on getting off on the bad downhill part but my legs cramped so much when I tried to get off I just hung on in there.
    I think you've got to evaluate whether its worth while making 5 -10 minutes on this section versus losing 5-10 minutes changing a puncture(s). If you're trying to just complete the race walking may be the wisest option but if you want to compete then it may be worth the risk.
    I passed a lot of people on this section last year but a fall or damaged bike here could have finished my race.

For what its worth I'm planning on staying in the sadddle again this year but I'll be getting some instruction on riding over rough terrain prior to the race.

nerraw1111 wrote: »

what part is the scelp? before or after cp? any pics of this part (or which section of http://www.gaelforceevents.com/en/event_photos.html is it)? can't find too many decent ones on google images

don't know about the bike. see your point but not sure for the same reason i wouldn't do much downhill running in training to avoid knackerin the knees.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

There are toilets at the top of the reek if it's your modesty you are worried about :D
    Rinker wrote: »
    For what its worth I'm planning on staying in the sadddle again this year but I'll be getting some instruction on riding over rough terrain prior to the race.

These instructions on riding on rough terrain should tell you to get out of the saddle (especially so on a racer), if it doesn't that person doesn't know much about riding offroad.

don't know about the bike. see your point but not sure for the same reason i wouldn't do much downhill running in training to avoid knackerin the knees.

He's on about the fact that different bikes will handle differently, there could also be different tyres and gearing etc. It's better to use the bike you will actually be racing on to make sure you will be comfortable on the day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

I see Enda Kenny has finally ended the adventure racers versus triathletes debate.

"I wish them very well; these warriors that take part in adventure races, as they are called, are not triathlon people or Olympians – they are superhuman to do what they do."

He was speaking at the launch of a Garda fundraising appeal to raise €50,000 for Our Lady of Lourdes and Holles Street hospitals which will see 110 volunteers take part in the Gaelforce Challenge West on August 20th later this year.

Thanks Inda. Kona me arse ;)

Advertisement