Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gaelforce west 20/8/2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Q7

4 stars (good)
    With that sort of bike time (30km+ p/h) you should be aiming for sub 5 hours unless your running is weak. Focus your training more on the running if its the weakest - remember that a 45km bike ride is much easier than 21km+ running with hills. Work on running speed during the week with hill reps, intervals, etc. then a longer run during the weekends.
    I'd usually only average 25km or a little over on the bike for a training spin and I did GF in 5:20 last year (walked up CP). Aiming for sub 5hrs this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

Q7 wrote: »
    With that sort of bike time (30km+ p/h) you should be aiming for sub 5 hours unless your running is weak. Focus your training more on the running if its the weakest - remember that a 45km bike ride is much easier than 21km+ running with hills. Work on running speed during the week with hill reps, intervals, etc. then a longer run during the weekends.
    I'd usually only average 25km or a little over on the bike for a training spin and I did GF in 5:20 last year (walked up CP). Aiming for sub 5hrs this year.
    was it your first time doin it last year ? if so you will readily get it under 5hr( with just better race planning ), and with an improved training program youd knock half an hour off def

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

joe1982 wrote: »
    Hey guys this is my first year doing gaelforce and just wondering how does my training look so far.

Sunday 100km+ cycle with club on 2 to 3 good climbs with average speed 30km+

Monday 8km run and still building up the distance

Tuesday Rest

Wednesday 45km cycle with club, very fast with race once per month averaging between 32 - 37 km

Thursday 8km run

Friday cycle to croagh patrik 12km, climb Murisk side, and run back down with a time of 1hour 20 and improving all the time, cycle home again.

Saturday Rest.

I would love to make sub 6 but not sure if i am ready yet for it, sub 5 would be a dream. Its really all down to my running if I can improve enough in the time left. Any advice would be great, Thanks guys.

Don't burn yourself out too early Joe. Concentrate on the running and as one of the lads said to me there, get some bric sessions in.
    2 of us do a very small (3km) run after the spins on a Wed night and another 3 or 4 do them on their own, just to get the legs used to the run after the spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭centre back

4 stars (good)
    Hey guys this is my first year doing gaelforce and just wondering how does my training look so far.

Sunday 100km+ cycle with club on 2 to 3 good climbs with average speed 30km+

Monday 8km run and still building up the distance

Tuesday Rest

Wednesday 45km cycle with club, very fast with race once per month averaging between 32 - 37 km

Thursday 8km run

Friday cycle to croagh patrik 12km, climb Murisk side, and run back down with a time of 1hour 20 and improving all the time, cycle home again.

Saturday Rest.

I would love to make sub 6 but not sure if i am ready yet for it, sub 5 would be a dream. Its really all down to my running if I can improve enough in the time left. Any advice would be great, Thanks guys.

with training like that you'll probably win the whole thing:) if your'e that close to the course maybe should think of running the first part of the course from glasnun beach ( know that's spelled wrong) to the where the canoe section starts?? think diarmuid collins had the fastest time of 57 mins last year for that part is about 14 ks, you have a great advantage of being so close to the course, my advice would to be use it as much as you can!!

4 stars (good)
    <bert> wrote: »
    i recently started training for this event but i have never ran in competition or have not cycled for years until last week.just wondering what type of bike/wheels would be best for this event as i have heard there are off road stages?any other info would be good as i have never done anything like this before.
    thanks

road bike is by far and away the best , and my opinion only choice!! have done gaelforce twice,1st on a rented mountain bike with knobbly tyres,a TRAGEDY !!:(
    2ND time with a racer, believe me there's no contest!!!

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    MelissaCB wrote: »
    hey all

I'm a newbie to gael force, would love to do it this year. I'm not sure about the whole wave entry thing, I wonder would anyone have any idea- I'm currently on my last high mileage week to train for the cork city marathon (23 miles tomorrow all going well), I'm hoping to get past the marathon line in 3hrs 45mins. Haven't done much on the bike before- the clonakilty sprint duathalon last year in 1hr 15mins (bike section hilly, 20km)
    (I've a really heavy MTB, will be looking to rent a cyclocross for GFW) .
    I'm thinking it would be sensible to enter as a jogger but not sure!
    thanks

with times like that you should consider getting in one of the early waves, as if the weather is bad the longer down the waves you are the ground could be very torn up and could cost you extra time!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 joe1982

Thanks for all that guys, My running is very poor that 8km is all I can manage on rolling ground but I know it will improve. I think my speed is between 5 and 6 mins a km so its slow!!! My cycling is ok but those speeds are only done when drafting my own average is usually in between 26 - 30 km. I also can make a big improvement on CP especially descending which takes 30mins.
    I just hope I haven't left the running to late And don't want to injure either from doing to much running.

4 stars (good)
    Thanks for all that guys, My running is very poor that 8km is all I can manage on rolling ground but I know it will improve. I think my speed is between 5 and 6 mins a km so its slow!!! My cycling is ok but those speeds are only done when drafting my own average is usually in between 26 - 30 km. I also can make a big improvement on CP especially descending which takes 30mins.
    I just hope I haven't left the running to late And don't want to injure either from doing to much running.

remember joe1982...... hills are your'e friend, intervals are your'e friend..... most importantly pain is going to be your'e friend:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Rinker

2 stars (poor)
    As well as hill running I'd highly recommend doing a recce of CP. Last year I took a totally different route down than anyone else who was on the mountain at that time as me and reckon it saved me about 15 mins. Think I got up in 35mins and down in about 15. I'd recommend departing from the main path once you've got down from the cone and making a bee line straight for the bikes across the boggy ground. Wouldn't have known this without having done the recce and chatting to a few locals who were there on the day. I also find it much easier descending on soft ground than on the stony path and safer if you happen to fall.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Rinker wrote: »
    As well as hill running I'd highly recommend doing a recce of CP. Last year I took a totally different route down than anyone else who was on the mountain at that time as me and reckon it saved me about 15 mins. Think I got up in 35mins and down in about 15. I'd recommend departing from the main path once you've got down from the cone and making a bee line straight for the bikes across the boggy ground. Wouldn't have known this without having done the recce and chatting to a few locals who were there on the day. I also find it much easier descending on soft ground than on the stony path and safer if you happen to fall.

Just beware of the holes hiding by heather there, its like "Step downs" from each level once you hit them green banks, there is a split between each bank covered by heather, I slipped into one and I was lucky as heck I didn't break my ankle or leg.
    It definitely saved time though, but when you start descending its very hard to stop :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Q7

4 stars (good)
    Seres wrote: »
    was it your first time doin it last year ? if so you will readily get it under 5hr( with just better race planning ), and with an improved training program youd knock half an hour off def
    Yes first ever adventure race was GF last year. Knowing the course, improving in transition, and a bit of extra training hopefully should have me down under 5hrs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Mickeyrodgers

Hey all. This is my second year doing GFW. I did it in 2010 and completed it in 5 hours. My goals this year are: 1) to finish the race and: 2) do it in 4.5 hours or better.
    I work on ships and im away for 3 months at a time. I started training for last years event mid May. ALL of my training for last year was done in the gym. I went to the gym every second day for the 3 months. Oh I also managed to stay off the booze! I got back home 5 days before the race and put in a decent time (I think).
    Last years break down:
    First run: 1h 20m
    Kayak: 9m
    Second run: 20m
    First cycle: 1h 36m
    Summit: 45m (I think)
    CP bottom: 19m
    So I'm back at work again-this time I'm hoping to be home mid July so I can do some proper training. My training last year was on a treadmill with a restricted incline (due to head room-could only go to level 3 of 15) and an exercise bike. The longest session I did in any one session was a 2 hour run (mental torcher). Max bike work was 90 mins. Most sessions were an hour though.
    On this ship I have the use of the same gear-without the head restrictions. Can anyone out there tell me/give me a gym training programme for GFW? I know I have to improve on me first run and CP. I'm hoping to make up the rest of the time here and there. How do I improve my running speed with a treadmill? How do I train for CP on a treadmill? Any tips that will help will be appreciated.
    Just for the record: I stopped smoking in April 2010. I was 14kgs/2stone over weight when I started my training in May 2010. I had never done adventure racing before, or any racing for that matter.
    If I can do it-anyone can
    Last cycle: 36m

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭robroy1234

Unfortunately it is quite difficult to do Specific training considering the limitations to your training environment. The main thing to do is to maintain a good, strong conditioning programme - Try to at least do some running on the deck if possible - a friend of mine and former British teammate Chris Robison used to do this when he was in the Royal Navy. Continue with the treadmill running with the incline, and also the exercycle. If possible when you return and can make it to Westport I can give you pre-Gaelforce training and practice.
    rmalse@hotmail.com

Robert

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭famoussheamus

My kit on the race includes:
    Bike- Road bike (gator skins or armidillos for skelp)
    Helemet
    Sunglasses
    Footwear- I will have cycling shoes and something with a bit of extra grip for running (Salomon speedcross)
    Socks- Compression
    Tops/Shorts- Tri suits/shorts are ideal as you do not feel the wet, has padding for cycle and light
    Jacket- Something light and wind/rainproof
    Bluff
    First aid kit, whistle, electrolyte drink, ride shots cola jelly, spare tube, compressed air, tube repair kit

• Registered Users Posts: 39 josh79

does any one know where i could get a better map of the course im planning a trip up that way soon and would like to do a recce of the course the one on the website isnt very easy to work out

4 stars (good)
    josh79 wrote: »
    does any one know where i could get a better map of the course im planning a trip up that way soon and would like to do a recce of the course the one on the website isnt very easy to work out

call in to killary, i pretty sure you drive past it on the way to the first starting run. 'd say give them a call and they would be more than happy to help you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭LaHaine

4 stars (good)
    Guys, any tips on a place to stay? Typical me I still haven't booked anywhere. Wanna get it sorted this week. Emailed a few bnbs with no luck

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭KoemansCC

LaHaine wrote: »
    Guys, any tips on a place to stay? Typical me I still haven't booked anywhere. Wanna get it sorted this week. Emailed a few bnbs with no luck

Spent the first year in a hotel but camped last year in Westport House, if you're staying the night after I'd say B&B or hotel but if you're going home after the race the camping is perfect (€10 to pitch the tent)...about a 20 min walk from the buses.

Would agree with camping if your only staying one night, but its important you get a good nights sleep also. There are still places yet to fill in westport, you may just have to go slightly out of town. Woods hotel and Atlantic Coast are close to finish which is cool. The Quay is full of self catering houses and apts which are relatively cheap when you are with a gang. Good luck finding a place, I think you will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

3 stars (average)
    Would agree with camping if your only staying one night, but its important you get a good nights sleep also. There are still places yet to fill in westport, you may just have to go slightly out of town. Woods hotel and Atlantic Coast are close to finish which is cool. The Quay is full of self catering houses and apts which are relatively cheap when you are with a gang. Good luck finding a place, I think you will be fine.

I used goireland.com to find a B&B, they have a load of B&B's and hotels in westport hooked up to their system, it can be hard to search for a particular town but if you use the 'view map' option then you can just zoom in on Westport.

Gear Questions: What kind of shoes do people use on the bike? I normally wear clipless pedals and cycling shoes but I'm thinking these may not be practical as I'd have to carry my runners with me on the bike and maybe change frequently when the off-road gets rough.

How important are the gatorskins? Is the off-road really that rough?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

I'd say gatorskins or equivalent are a necessity if you want to avoid a puncture. Last year was carnage on the off road section.

Shoes are a personal choice. You'll have to change shoes three or four times. Can you cycle faster with bike shoes than the time it takes to change footwear?

hardCopy wrote: »
    I used goireland.com to find a B&B, they have a load of B&B's and hotels in westport hooked up to their system, it can be hard to search for a particular town but if you use the 'view map' option then you can just zoom in on Westport.

Gear Questions: What kind of shoes do people use on the bike? I normally wear clipless pedals and cycling shoes but I'm thinking these may not be practical as I'd have to carry my runners with me on the bike and maybe change frequently when the off-road gets rough.

How important are the gatorskins? Is the off-road really that rough?

Used bike shoes myself last year as I found myself stronger with them on. It also would have helped me to keep my legs from cramping a little on the bike section. Can I say I was quicker with them on, hard to know, I passed a hell of a lot of people and didn't get off the bike on the 1st section on either Sheffrey or the bog road so maybe they did.
    The change over may have taken me maybe 30 seconds a go or so, so that was a change at transition to bike, at CP twice and that was it. I ran in the bike shoes on the last leg.

I didn't have Gators on last year, had Michelin Irreliums which have kevlar in them and didn't puncture at all last year. Had the max pressure 120 psi, in the tires so that also helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

3 stars (average)
    yop wrote: »
    Used bike shoes myself last year as I found myself stronger with them on. It also would have helped me to keep my legs from cramping a little on the bike section. Can I say I was quicker with them on, hard to know, I passed a hell of a lot of people and didn't get off the bike on the 1st section on either Sheffrey or the bog road so maybe they did.
    The change over may have taken me maybe 30 seconds a go or so, so that was a change at transition to bike, at CP twice and that was it. I ran in the bike shoes on the last leg.

I didn't have Gators on last year, had Michelin Irreliums which have kevlar in them and didn't puncture at all last year. Had the max pressure 120 psi, in the tires so that also helped.
    nerraw1111 wrote: »
    I'd say gatorskins or equivalent are a necessity if you want to avoid a puncture. Last year was carnage on the off road section.

Shoes are a personal choice. You'll have to change shoes three or four times. Can you cycle faster with bike shoes than the time it takes to change footwear?

Thanks folks, I think I'll invest in the new tyres anyway and think about the shoe decision for a while.

4 stars (good)
    Finally got somewhere to stay sorted. Typical me, left it on the long finger. Ended up being tough enough to find a place that didnt cost a fortune. Happy with the place I got anyway.

To anyone who hasnt booked somewhere Id say get on to it now. Unneeded stress coming up to it otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭DULLAHAN2

My kit on the race includes:
    Bike- Road bike (gator skins or armidillos for skelp)
    Helemet
    Sunglasses
    Footwear- I will have cycling shoes and something with a bit of extra grip for running (Salomon speedcross)
    Socks- Compression
    Tops/Shorts- Tri suits/shorts are ideal as you do not feel the wet, has padding for cycle and light
    Jacket- Something light and wind/rainproof
    Bluff
    First aid kit, whistle, electrolyte drink, ride shots cola jelly, spare tube, compressed air, tube repair kit

What kind of rucksack did you have??

4 stars (good)
    Im using this bag a while now and Ive found it good. Doesnt move much while running and has plenty of compartments. Not the biggest, but it does the job for me.

You could get one much cheaper im sure, paying for the brand but then again, it seems to be good quality so im sure ill have it a long time.

4 stars (good)
    Im using this bag (http://eu.thenorthface.com/tnf-eu-en/animas-12.html?colour=13806) a while now and Ive found it good. Doesnt move much while running and has plenty of compartments. Not the biggest, but it does the job for me.

You could get one much cheaper im sure, paying for the brand but then again, it seems to be good quality so im sure ill have it a long time.

4 stars (good)
    it seems alot of chat on this page is about gear and accomadation! just wondering how everybody's training is going.. are we all on track for a glorious day, or an epic fail....:D

Everybodys bag will be different because people bring different stuff. If your looking for a bag, ask yourself will you need to carry shoes? They are the biggest thing you will have along with your water/ electrolyte/ etc.

So when shopping bring along a pair of runners to see how easy they fit into the bag, if you intend to use the same pair right through the cycle, run and climb you may not even need a bag. Some use hip packs instead.

If you are using cycle shoes leave them with your bike at T3.

Someone asked earlier if the skelp is rough, in a word yes. It's an extremely steep downhill with very loose slate and bog, after heavy rain showers deep throughs form in it. I was very ready for this section last year and expected to fly it on my MTB but people that walk it get in your way and take the best lines through it so you are left navigating the worst parts. It is worth having a look at before the race if your thinking about heading down west for a training weekend or recci.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 kennykill

Hi all,

I've been asked over the weekend (well more like challenged/dared) to take part in this years Gaelforce West. From checking out the website I notice that there's only 60 days left before the event kicks off.

I was wondering if it might be too late to start training for it. From research of several posts on here, it would seem that some folk started last January training, I'm hoping they're the elite people!

For a little background, I've just turned 30 and have been active most of my teens/adult life, but in recent years I've fell out of touch with sports. I still try to maintain a gym routine but at the moment I've nothing really to train for or motivate myself for. Hence, that's why Gaelforce seems like an interesting prospect! My cardio is likely average or less, and I haven't cycled in years but do the odd spin class when I can.

Would you reckon it's too late (<60 days) to try and get a bit of conditioning behind me to at least finish the race in my first attempt (pref less than 6hrs) or should I put my pride on hold for another while!? Actually, I don't even know if I can still register this late!!

Advertisement