Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gaelforce west 20/8/2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭famoussheamus

CP tends to do that to people but you still did it. I think you need a certain degree of stubborness to tackle some of these races.
    Probably hit part of the course today for the craic :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭centre back

4 stars (good)
    CP tends to do that to people but you still did it. I think you need a certain degree of stubborness to tackle some of these races.
    Probably hit part of the course today for the craic :rolleyes:.

so jealous of ye westerner's!! ye have the best training routes!!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭famoussheamus

Ended up wimping out today,the sunburn risk was a tad on the high side :cool:. Might chance it on Sunday afternoon though.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Mossess

Hello all,
    Doing the Gael Force West for the third time this year and can’t wait. Training is going as well as can be expected, fitting in with everything that life can throw at anyone.

My usual gear conisits of bike shorts under regular shorts, 2 pockets, a bike top/jersey with 3 open pockets in the back, which are pretty inaccessible with the backpack, which has two hard to reach side pockets, but can fit a bottle in each anyway, with a 2 litre camelbak in the backpack. That has been my usual gear.

This year however I’m thinking of loading as much as I can onto the bike, relying on the camelback for liquid and basically having no pockets.
    Thinking about a Tri suit, with the back pack.

I’m thinking the pros are:
    1/ ideal for the running and bike
    2/ may help reduce cramping
    3/ light
    4/ light

Cons:
    1/ Croagh Patrick, will probably have to put on tracksuit pants and a jacket at this stage.
    2/ keeping warm before the 5.30 start (tracksuit pants and jacket)
    3/ lack of pockets
    4/ the cost – basically a hundred euros that doesn’t HAVE to be spent.

I’m only racing against myself (and of course the lads I’m going with ;) )

Does anyone have any thoughts or experiences on the above?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Tracksuit bottoms and top are overkill imo, and it also means you'll have to carry them at some point, even if it's just on the bike. You'll have a mandatory rain jacket anyway and that should be enough, and it you wanted something before the start you could bring an old jumper and stick it in the bin at the start.

Clothing wise I'll just have tri-shorts, top, rain jacket, buff and short fingered cycling gloves.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Way overkill on bottom and jacket.

As per last year it will be sleeveless underarmour, cycle top and them light green jackets out of aldi that I don't intend to wear.

Dumping the bike shoes this year also so going with trail shoes.

The reek when you are warmed up after the bike won't be too bad, take a light jacket just in case as mentioned above.

What will reduce cramping?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

On a side note, anyone else hear that the end run has changed that we run from the Quay up the greenway to the mall as per the Sea2Summit?
    Will add circa 3km to the end??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

3 stars (average)
    yop wrote: »
    On a side note, anyone else hear that the end run has changed that we run from the Quay up the greenway to the mall as per the Sea2Summit?
    Will add circa 3km to the end??

Yikes, hopefully not! That would be at least 3km, as you will still be dropping the bikes down the point, closer to 4km.

If it was a change for logistical reasons, fair enough, but this is probably just so they have a "bigger, better" finish in town, and close the Quay and The Mall in the process, twill be chaos in town then traffic wise. Honestly can't see the council allowing it, and never mind the complaints from all the walkers on the greenway as 3000+ adventure racers take it over for the day.

Hopefully it is only a rumor.

I've mixed feelings about that. On one hand it will be a killer, but on the other it will allow runners get some time back on strong cyclists. The run at the end of the first WAR this year was challenging, and I'm sure the walkers can live with it for one day, and motorists will be expecting traffic delays anyway.

Kill is the word! :) Its a dirty incline all the way in, pain pain pain pain pain! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

The Greenway run sounds like a great idea. It would improve the race IMO.

If it was there last year, it would've been some finish with Marrey and O'Farrell.

In saying that, it'll be hell. The last 3km in WAR Glendalough were absolute misery.

The council will have no problem closing the town down for the day given that 3500 will be spending many euros in the town across two or three days. Not to mention friends and family. They'll be under huge pressure to accomodate the event from hoteliers and retaurants.

So seven weeks out, time to start training solely for this now.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭former

4 stars (good)
    There's nothing about this on the Gaelforce site. Is this just speculation or for real?

3 stars (average)
    former wrote: »
    There's nothing about this on the Gaelforce site. Is this just speculation or for real?

Speculation, and hopefully that's all.

I'd like to beat my time from last year, and that might not be possible if they add this on, that's my main gripe, oh and that fact that it will be torture, the 500m "Dash" to the finish last year was bad enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 siobhanb79

Hi Guys,
    siobhan here one of the organisers. Don't know where the rumour came from about the greenway! the race will finish on the Quays like last year.
    Hope training is going well!

siobhanb79 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,
    siobhan here one of the organisers. Don't know where the rumour came from about the greenway! the race will finish on the Quays like last year.
    Hope training is going well!

Thank fook for that Siobhan!!!!! I was having cramps at the thought of that run :D

3 stars (average)
    siobhanb79 wrote: »
    Don't know where the rumour came from about the greenway! the race will finish on the Quays like last year

Thanks, that's good news (for me anyways :pac:)

I threw on the backpack last night and loaded it up to race spec. Forgot the difference it makes. With the heat and the humidity last night it was very similar to last years 5.30/7am start. I’ll be wearing it for every run between now and race day just to get use to it.

Regarding the clothes, going to get a tri suit and basically go as light as possible.

Anyone else suffer from cramps getting out of the kayaks, any cures?

Mossess wrote: »
    Anyone else suffer from cramps getting out of the kayaks, any cures?

Got them in Connemara last year, had to be dragged out of the boat! :)

Not sure how to cure them to be honest.

regarding the cramps I've heard that a pinch of salt in with your water does the trick, but if that can be avoided it will be. Perhaps a great big dirty rasher sandwich is the answer :D

Scientifically they're a mystery aren't they, there's still no concrete cause ? I've loaded up on all sorts, such as nuuns, high 5 and diorlyte days before and mornings of such races and still got touches of them.

• Advertisement

I found that the nuuns actually caused me cramps on short runs (15k) that wouldn't normally be a problem

Tried them all, none of them worked.
    Last thing for me to try is compression socks this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 siobhanb79

I have been told - salt & electrolytic drinks, and also lots of Bananas on the day and the day before to keep potassium levels high

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Diarolyte works for me, 100% success rate so far. Cramped when I didn't take them.

For GF, I took a sachet before kayak and again on the bike, as well as Nuuns. Probably overkill but I don't think there's any harm in taking too much of it, within reason?

I also heard that your cycling style might make cramping more likely.

Last year I cramped up badly on the kayak, and the bog run was pure pain. Will give the Diarolyte a shot this evening I think.

I took on so much Dioroltye and Nuun and the rest that I was like a walking chip van ;)

The socks might make the difference this year ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 qwertier

Hi All,

I've just signed up for this years Gael Force West, on August 20th - a little over 6 weeks ago. I have a background in triathlon and commute to work by bike but I've never done an adventure race.

Can it be done? Think positive people! Any advice, tips or training suggestions would be greatfully accepted!

I'll keep you updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

qwertier wrote: »
    Hi All,

I've just signed up for this years Gael Force West, on August 20th - a little over 6 weeks ago. I have a background in triathlon and commute to work by bike but I've never done an adventure race.

Can it be done? Think positive people! Any advice, tips or training suggestions would be greatfully accepted!

I'll keep you updated.

If it's over 6 weeks ago, it'll be impossible.

It looks like the only answer you'll accept is yes and you seem to think you can do it. I think what you're really asking for is training advice, rather than wondering can you do it. You haven't really given too much info on yourself though. 'A background in triathlon' could apply to thousands of people, still I'm guessing you're aware of the distances invovled in the cycle and run legs. I've never done an adventure race either and I've only ever kayaked for fun on holidays, but I wouldn't find 1km particularly daunting. Granted I wouldn't be very fast in a race. And I imagine, seeing as it involves a certain level of technique, it would take more than 6 weeks to get good at it.

zico10 wrote: »
    If it's over 6 weeks ago, it'll be impossible.

They signed up 6 weeks ago. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 qwertier

The original comment was supposed to read: "I've just signed up for this years Gael Force West, on August 20th - a little over 6 weeks to go."

Advertisement