Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General election

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Doyle, Timmons, Harris, Ferris and Donnelly elected

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Rinker

Congrats to Donnelly, all his team and supporters (many of whom came on board after reading posts on here). :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Rinker wrote: »
    Congrats to Donnelly, all his team and supporters (many of whom came on board after reading posts on here). :)
    my best vote ever! really enjoyed watching the events unfold.

Rinker wrote: »
    That's why his team came on here to talk him up - fascinating stuff on east coast radio last week about Slattery PR - I wonder did they advise on the strategy of talking him up on various message boards.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    That's why his team came on here to talk him up - fascinating stuff on east coast radio last week about Slattery PR - I wonder did they advise on the strategy of talking him up on various message boards.
    Ah hang on though.... talking someone "up" generally means making more of them then they actually deserve.

Here's a line from Steve's cv:
    "In 2008, he completed a Masters’ degree in Public Administration and International Development at Harvard’s Kennedy School of Government. Here he examined, in detail, the interaction between the IMF and small states."

Thats the man we need as *Taoiseach* right now to be honest :)

And no, no one contacted me or asked me to get behind him. I've known him for 20 years and I think I'm entitled to an opinion and to put the facts in front of people. :)

DeV

• Advertisement

Not specifically referring to you Dev (or to boards.ie) but it is very clear that some people just opened their accounts on here and some people started reusing their accounts on here after months of not using them for the sole purpose of promoting Stephen Donnelly

Terry Pratchet

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Thats quite possible I guess, though when I talked to his core team I did advise them to be transparent. They werent on Boards, they all know me and they would have come to me.

He got what, 4,500 first preferences? more? he clearly won people over and its no shock really. The guy is smart, very well educated in a field we are utterly lacking in and probably the only thing which matters right now. He's approachable, personable, young, his policies make sense and he has the experience we need. He's someone you can get behind so perhaps we were seeing evangelisation here but perhaps its good that people can engage with politics and find a candidate who reignites the county. Hell, even my old cynical ass was moved to support his run.

Wicklow got the find of this general election... hopefully a rising star in Irish politics imho.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Dannygirl

I came on here and spoke about Stephen Donnelly, not to preach, not because I 'know' him, but because having seen him speak I was so impressed that I wanted to spread the word about him. I'm not a member of his team but did speak to anyone who would listen. You know, in a, when you come across something/someone that you really believe in, you want to let the world know, kind of way.
    He's a smart, educated, articulate, and sensible breath of freash air. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Johnnymcg wrote: »

I know from personal experience that certain members of Slattery PR log on here as "ordinary" posters when they have something they wish to promote. I wonder if any of the pro Donnelly posts here came from Slatterys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

I'm sure he is great, however being an independent on the outside looking in Stephen will probably have 5 years of very little to do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

I'm sure he is great, however being an independent on the outside looking in Stephen will probably have 5 years of very little to do.
    himself and Shane Ross
    wonders if they will get re elected next time around

A month later and I cant say I have heard much from the other elected representatives but Stephen has been everywhere making his voice heard.

I tell ya Wicklow, I envy you!

He's a credit to the county and its a terrible pity we cant say the same about Kerry, or indeed North Tipp :rolleyes:

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

DeVore wrote: »
    A month later and I cant say I have heard much from the other elected representatives but Stephen has been everywhere making his voice heard.

He is putting himself out there for sure, getting good airtime and some newpaper ink.

all of the others (there just to make up the numbers in the Dail) have been mute

He is putting himself out there for sure, getting good airtime and some newpaper ink.

all of the others (there just to make up the numbers in the Dail) have been mute

No; they're just not as visible in the national media. That doesn't mean they are not doing any work.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement