Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General election

Options

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I really agonised over starting this thread because I dont want people to think I'm grandstanding using my position on Boards.

On the other hand, I am a person too. I have opinions and God knows I like to talk :).

If the mods think this is out of line, please treat this as any other users post.

I've known Stephen Donnelly for years. I've known him through his goofy student years and his Serious Business[tm] years. :) I dont know the other candidates and I'm sure they are all top people. But I know Stephen and I only wish that every constituency had the option to vote for someone of his moral callibre and intelligence. I cant vote for him for him as I live in Dublin North East, I'm just saying that if you are considering voting for him and arent sure if he's the real deal. He is.

Thats all I'm going to say.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

DeVore wrote: »
    I really agonised over starting this thread because I dont want people to think I'm grandstanding using my position on Boards.

On the other hand, I am a person too. I have opinions and God knows I like to talk :).

If the mods think this is out of line, please treat this as any other users post.

I've known Stephen Donnelly for years. I've known him through his goofy student years and his Serious Business[tm] years. :) I dont know the other candidates and I'm sure they are all top people. But I know Stephen and I only wish that every constituency had the option to vote for someone of his moral callibre and intelligence. I cant vote for him for him as I live in Dublin North East, I'm just saying that if you are considering voting for him and arent sure if he's the real deal. He is.

DeV.
    been looking carerfully at him myself....i think he may have my vote..according to the boards poll he's a serious contender

• Registered Users Posts: 14,753 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

been looking carerfully at him myself....i think he may have my vote..according to the boards poll he's a serious contender

the boards poll says he'll top the poll, and that Billy Timmins will lose his seat - neither of those events is remotely likely.

FWIW, I went to school with Stephen and believe he's a credible and competent candidate. I'm not sure whether he is a real contender for a seat (or indeed what he could achieve if he did get in) but he's certainly a cut above the party-approved no-marks and sundry crazies who make up the rest of the Wicklow ballot paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭bogtreader

Stephen Donnelly s Problem is going to be first get elected and then be
    in a position of power.
    In which Fine gael need a few independents to keep them in the majority
    He is then in with the likes of Paul sommerville and Shane Ross is he strong
    enough of a voice to be heard in that grouping.
    If Fine Gael dont need him and get overall majority or go into coalition
    with Labour he will just rot in the backbenches.
    Is it a waste of his talent?
    The long termers in the dail will not like giving their chance of power
    too in their eyes a Johnny come lately

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Reckon he will do the best of the Independents, getting slightly more than Nicky Kelly.

But not enough to get a seat.

As he's totally annonymous outside Bray/Greystones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Thread on Stephen Donnelly merged.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jellybeano

You might want to move to Wicklow to vote for any of the candidates here, if your current location (Dublin) is anything to go by.

Looks like a shill to me, but I'll leave that to the Mods to decide.

no shill i'm afraid, you can live in one county and be registered to vote in another!

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

We need whistleblowers. People of integrity to keep the government in check if they are part of it and to provide intelligent opposition if they are not.

I know Stephen has already been in touch with the likes of Shane Ross and others. Together they can form a voting bloc on issues of commonality.

Anyway, all I wanted to say is that he's a top bloke who is bright and honest. Sound like what we are missing in the Dail to anyone? :)

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

joceadaigh wrote: »
    So hope you all don't forget about Charlie Keddy. You can find him on Facebook at Vote Charlie Keddy
    I don't think Mr Keddy has any more right than I have to force women into a situation where religious law makes their decisions for them.

We had Simon Harris call to the door this evening.
    Seems like a nice bloke listened to me.
    My wife and i put our points to him both seperate issues.
    He answered best he could on my issue about jobs he was
    upfront and said they didnt have a policy on my issue.
    My wifes issue was on disabilities as we have 3 kids with differing
    disabilities this was his strong point.
    On meeting him i would put a maybe No1 vote

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

Reckon he will do the best of the Independents, getting slightly more than Nicky Kelly.

But not enough to get a seat.

As he's totally annonymous outside Bray/Greystones.

Kelly will not do well as an independent, his vote collapsed at the last local elections, and if anything has been in decline since.

Donnelly will be at least 1,000 votes ahead of him. I don't know if he will get a seat, but I do know he is being mentioned a good bit on the doorsteps (outside Greystones and Bray).

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭miseagustusa

hi all!!! i'm from arklow so i'm giving my no1 to 1 of my local candadates, currently that is Peter Dempsey!!!!! i've spoken 2 dem all n i feel he had the best interest in the task!!!!! pat fitz is a def no no 4 me and many others i've heard around the street for diff reasons but mainly FF!!!! nicky kelly no no again, have my own reasons ;), jim tallon, waste of votes :(......from the other candidates from around wicklow.... i'm keepin a close eye on all the indo's as i'm not votin any party candidate!!!

I'll be voting Anne Ferris number 1 - I've known Anne for a long time - She has vast experience: she has worked as Liz McManus secretary for nearly 20 years - this means she understands the issues of people very well and can represent us effectively in the Dail. I also believe her determination and fighting spirit was shown when she beat Ronan McManus to the nomination.

I'm voting for Anne because I believe she is committed, experienced and feisty!

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Mr Posh

She’s qualified because she is was Liz’s PA for 20 years!!!!! Are you serious?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭d2ww

Billy Timmins (FG) 1/7
    Anne Ferris (Lab) 1/2
    Andrew Doyle (FG) 4/7
    Conal Kavanagh (Lab) 4/7
    Simon Harris (FG) 4/5
    Dick Roche (FF) 4/5
    Joe Behan (Ind) 11/10
    Tom Fortune (Lab) 2/1
    Stephen Donnelly (Ind) 4/1
    Pat Fitzgerald (FF) 5/2
    Nicky Kelly (Ind) 4/1

Peter Dempsey 50/1
    Eugene Finnegan (Ind) 50/1
    Donal Kiernan (Ind) 50/1
    Michael Mulvihill (Ind) 50/1
    Gerry Kinsella (FN) 33/1
    Charlie Keddy (Ind) 50/1
    Pat Kavanagh (FN) 33/1
    Kevin Carroll (Ind) 50/1
    Niall Byrne (Green) 40/1
    Anthony Fitzgerald (Ind) 50/1
    Thomas Clarke (Ind) 50/1
    Jim Tallon (Ind) 100/1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Mr Posh wrote: »
    She’s qualified because she is was Liz’s PA for 20 years!!!!! Are you serious?

She has also until last year been a councillor for bray as long as I can remember

Um... Does Liz McManus have two PAs? We were in talks last year with Dep McManus's office about doing a debate on boards and her PA was

Claire Power
    Parliamentary Assistant to Deputy Liz McManus
    Labour Party Spokesperson on Communications, Energy and Natural Resources

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Some do, one for the Dáil and one for the Constituency.
    If someone has been running the constituency office for a T.D. for a number of years then they know the local issues and would be a political operative.

I voted for Liz in the 2007 election,she seemed to go into hibernation for two years then resurfaced last year to announce her retirement from the Dail and that she would not be contesting the next election.

It was a wasted vote in hindsight, I am looking for a new kind of politician and this smack of the same old, it’s the national issue we need to focus on the local issue’s should be dealt with by councillors

Mr Posh wrote: »
    I voted for Liz in the 2007 election,she seemed to go into hibernation for two years then resurfaced last year to announce her retirement from the Dail and that she would not be contesting the next election.

It was a wasted vote in hindsight, I am looking for a new kind of politician and this smack of the same old, its the national issue we need to focus on the local issues should be dealt with by councillors

absolutely agree with you that national issues are a priority but national issues include things like housing, healthcare, education and if you know the effect that national policy has on individuals then you can contribute to the legislation very effectively.

I'm not quite sure why you are saying you want a TD for national issues when you have had one for 5 years and now you claim it's a wasted vote. Liz McManus has been working non stop on national issues over the last 4 years. She has been contributing on many issues; fuel poverty, lack of broadband, energy regulation, postal regulation, in fact she is also regarded as the most effective contributor on climate change in the Dail - Your vote wasn't wasted there at all.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    absolutely agree with you that national issues are a priority but national issues include things like housing, healthcare, education and if you know the effect that national policy has on individuals then you can contribute to the legislation very effectively.

I'm not quite sure why you are saying you want a TD for national issues when you have had one for 5 years and now you claim it's a wasted vote. Liz McManus has been working non stop on national issues over the last 4 years. She has been contributing on many issues; fuel poverty, lack of broadband, energy regulation, postal regulation, in fact she is also regarded as the most effective contributor on climate change in the Dail - Your vote wasn't wasted there at all.

My criticism of Liz is based on the last two and ahalf years ONLY, its her work prior to that which secured my voted for 2007, I had come to the conclusion that her absence from June 2007 to September 2010 was due to health issues but of course this is pure speculation.

Just like anyone handing in there notice there is always a reason behind this action whether it’s because they have lost the passion for the job or they feel unable to do the job any longer which is consistent with Liz going missing over the last two years and hens my wasted vote. I had certainly not wished to diminish her long and disgusted political career prior to 2007.

Back on topic I will be giving Labour 2 3 4 but Eamon needs serious support as the party is way over reliant on key figures and need more strength and depth.

If Fergus Finley is not put forward for president I see this as a step backwards by falling into the same old political games that FF and FG have been playing with presidency for years.

Roll on Friday!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

DeVore wrote:

On the other hand, I am a person too. I have opinions and God knows I like to talk .

I've known Stephen Donnelly for years. I've known him through his goofy student years and his Serious Business[tm] years. I dont know the other candidates and I'm sure they are all top people. But I know Stephen and I only wish that every constituency had the option to vote for someone of his moral callibre and intelligence. I cant vote for him for him as I live in Dublin North East, I'm just saying that if you are considering voting for him and arent sure if he's the real deal. He is.

DeV.
    To hell with the issues. If the bloke's sound huh?

Don't we already have TDs who are grand fellas altogether? We should be moving away from this personality politics.

Anyway, now that I've said that, I've taken some time to look into this bloke and he seems genuine enough. The ideas he's putting forward are sound and I was concerned about "Consultant speak", but his website on the whole is sound. Well apart from:
    unsustainable debt cannot be sustained
    I wonder how many terms in Harvard it took to learn that little nugget.

Anway, notwithstanding DeV's pimping him out, he'll be in the mix for me come Friday. Please let him keep Harris and Behan out!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 danhiggins10

My number 1 will be going to John Brady week in week out he is out helping the comunity, challenging on tasks relating to housing etc I dont think there has been one week during the year I have not heard of Johns work on first hand experience, and he is doing a pretty good job, I reckon the step up form councillor to TD will see him prosper and seems like the type of politician who is really out to make a difference to lives of ordinary people and hopefully can translate his great work on a local level to great work on a national level, I am by no means a hard line sinn fein supporter but really think he is a great politician

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

My number 1 will be going to John Brady week in week out he is out helping the comunity, challenging on tasks relating to housing etc I dont think there has been one week during the year I have not heard of Johns work on first hand experience, and he is doing a pretty good job, I reckon the step up form councillor to TD will see him prosper and seems like the type of politician who is really out to make a difference to lives of ordinary people and hopefully can translate his great work on a local level to great work on a national level, I am by no means a hard line sinn fein supporter but really think he is a great politician

I agree with you but he only does things for select communities or sports clubs etc and in fairness to him he does seem to be the most active around Bray. I really disliked one of the every first leaflets we got through the door which was from Sinn Fein, it was slagging off Joe Behan. I thought it was very childish of SF and uncalled for. I've seen nothing like it since though, or nothing similar from other parties.

Missed Fine Gael here this afternoon because I was in work, pity. I've still only met with 1 lot of canvassers and that's been Dick Roches that came on Monday night, 2 nice guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Dannygirl

DeVore wrote: »

DeV.

You've just backed up what I thought from the minute I saw him on VB. He came across as a very articulate and knowledgable guy. It's so cool for the first time ever to be voting for someone that I actually believe in.
    A Change is Gonna Come! :)

I'll be there from 8am tallying

It's in the shoreline centre in Greystones

Terry Pratchet

Johnny can you let us know what being a tally involves.
    Just curious thanks

bogtreader wrote: »
    Johnny can you let us know what being a tally involves.
    Just curious thanks

Watching votes to see where they go and marking them down on sheets of paper

Terry Pratchet

13 counts - no result yet

Full recount called by Dick Roche

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

Indeed Dick what an apt name, clinging on by his fingernails they will drag him out of that count centre kicking and screaming

Advertisement