Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General election

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭bogtreader

It is all about getting your name out there and getting recognised he has been
    on Vincent Brown an article on independents in yesterdays Sunday independent
    What people should be concentrating on is what to say to your potential
    candidates when you are stopped in the street or at your door.
    I should mention i am not a donnelly supporter

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Mr Posh

I’m not a fully fledge supporter of Stepehn Donnelly yet but its looking that way after sizing up all the candidates

I will probably go:

1 Donnelly
    2 Fortune/Labour
    3 Other Labour
    4 Other Labour

Can’t say I’m delaighed with Labour and the way they have refused to answer questions on there policys as if we are all stupid. I will not be voting FG on the basis I object to there leader as its the same old same old different shirt, his politics over the last six months suggest we will not see a real reform on the way the Dail is run.

Timmons- is another hand me down seat
    Doyle - has made little or no impact from the back benches might as well vote independent
    Harris- has no experience to be a modern day TD and is a career politician in the making. I would have expected him to finish his first term as a councillor before jumping ship on all the people who voted for him in the local elections!

Problem is it is most likely going to be a coalition government.
    It is going to be a merging of policies after the election.
    I am normally a Labour voter i listen to Enda Kennys speech in the Dail
    he made a good speech so i am a bit torn at the moment.
    I will probably give my no 2 to an independent :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Thought Donnelly was alright on Brawn - hoped to get to the meeting on Monday, and disappointed he wasn't around Greystones on Sunday with his canvassers. However, if he is linked to Ross he won't be getting a high preference from me.

It'll be Labour, SF, ULA, FG for me, with possibly Donnelly in the mix somewhere. FG in the hope it might deny one of the 3 FFers a seat (don't kind yourself that Behan is anything but FF given his voting record, particularly recently - plus I have issues with his donations list from the last election).

• Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

bogtreader wrote: »
    Problem is it is most likely going to be a coalition government.
    It is going to be a merging of policies after the election.
    I am normally a Labour voter i listen to Enda Kennys speech in the Dail
    he made a good speech so i am a bit torn at the moment.
    I will probably give my no 2 to an independent :confused:

Are you voting for labour or FG? - they have 3 candidates each! - If you are then surely you would give an independent your 7th preference

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Still undecided Johnnymcg You dont have to give 123 to FG or 123 Lab.

Still undecided Johnnymcg You dont have to give 123 to FG or 123 Lab.
    I know you don't!

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭joceadaigh

It is all about getting your name out there and getting recognised

So hope you all don't forget about Charlie Keddy. You can find him on Facebook at Vote Charlie Keddy

joceadaigh wrote: »
    So hope you all don't forget about Charlie Keddy. You can find him on Facebook at Vote Charlie Keddy
    How could we forget him! I'm afraid I'm pro-choice so he will be quite low down on my preferences

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 SharonKeilthy

Hello to all

I've been frustrated - and embarrassed - by the dire situation we've ended up in. I work hard and pay a lot of taxes - and am happy to do so as long as they are well spent on services for people here in Ireland - but am not happy for them to be paid-out to foreign investors or otherwise wasted.

Apathy and even emigration were tempting me. But then my colleague Stephen Donnelly decided to run for election. Knowing him, and how capable he is, and how passionate he is about his country, I decided to invest as much of my time as I could muster in helping Stephen be elected. Whoever else deserves to be in that 166, he definitely does. And someone like Stephen being elected could send a powerful signal, of a new era, and of normal people with the right skills - not necessarily career politicians - stepping-up and taking responsibility for their country.

<snip>

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

Arklow is a funny place like that...they remember the people who got that pothole fixed etc and Fitz is big on the ground like that.
    He'll get 2 or 3000 votes.

True and not true...

Not true - If Arklow was truly parochial and engaged in parish pump politics they would have elected a TD before now, if you have seen tallies, you know a huge vote goes outside the town.

True - Pat is an excellent Councillor, I don't think anyone disputes that. A Councillor does not a Legislator make though, but the 1,500-2,000 people who give him no. 1 wont see that.

Not true - If Arklow was truly parochial and engaged in parish pump politics they would have elected a TD before now, if you have seen tallies, you know a huge vote goes outside the town.
    The reason there is twofold and simple-Historically there has been a strong FF vote in that town,one that wasn't going to a non FF candidate.
    There was nearly a quota between Nicky and Pat last time but the transfers wouldn't have happened.
    Secondly Arklow people are poor organisers.
    Most of anything decent done in the town has been by non locals.
    They are intrinsically daft that way and it's so far been to their eternal shame.
    Pat fitzgerald must know he's only a vote catcher for Dick roche,thats his purpose.He hasn't a hope of being elected as even arklow loyalists are fed up with him,they'll probably vote Demsey and transfer all over the place depending on their hatrid of all things FG.
    Fitz wasn't put on the ticket for the love of Arklow.

MOD WARNING

Folks its pretty obvious that Stephen Donnellys supporters who don't even live in Wicklow are talking him up in this thread - I've no problem with this as such once people are open and honest. There is also a fine line between stating why you are supporting him and directly asking for support which could be considered advertising - It is inappropriate to use boards.ie to ask for votes or support.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 33 jungledrums

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    MOD WARNING

Folks its pretty obvious that Stephen Donnellys supporters who don't even live in Wicklow are talking him up in this thread - I've no problem with this as such once people are open and honest. There is also a fine line between stating why you are supporting him and directly asking for support which could be considered advertising - It is inappropriate to use boards.ie to ask for votes or support.

Johnnymcg
    First of all I will declare I am a Donnelly fan!
    Secondly I am supporting him not because I'm on his campaign team but because he is what's needed in this country.
    Thirdly I think it is not a conceited campaign by "supporters" it's more like the demographic of his supporters are more adept with the "interweb" than the like of the FF crew. Donnelly and Harris have a young following which is representive of their tech savvy. I do think the web is the new doorstep but may not be as effective this election but it's defo the way forward
    If enough of the people vote indo the government may realise that deep routed change is wholly desired by the public

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 SharonKeilthy

MOD WARNING

I don't think my post above could have been more open or honest. I don't live in Wicklow, but that doesn't affect anything I said.

Fair enough about not allowing requests for support.

Best wishes, S

I would like to see a debate of the top five in the boards.ie Wicklow Election poll to see what they have to say, anyone know if this is planned?

24 candidates - this will be interesting!

Terry Pratchet

Two weeks to go!!

Anybody had first hand experience of any of the candidates?

No one has called as yet.
    Two leaflets dropped in the letter box though.
    One from Tom Fortune the other Simon Harris both giving your entitlements

lets get in on!!!

http://www.wicklownews.net/index.php/2011/02/election-2011-donnelly-challenges-tds-to-debate/

No doubt they will do an Enda Kenny as they will come to the conclusion that they have more to lose than gain !!!!

Good old democracy at work again!!

• Advertisement

Mr Posh wrote: »
    lets get in on!!!

http://www.wicklownews.net/index.php/2011/02/election-2011-donnelly-challenges-tds-to-debate/

No doubt they will do an Enda Kenny as they will come to the conclusion that they have more to lose than gain !!!!

Good old democracy at work again!!

why should it only be a 3 way debate and why just pick Dick and Billy?

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

In North East Carlow on the Electoral boundry but we are lumped in with Wicklow for General elections but are in Carlow for local elections.. :rolleyes:
    no posters up, no canvassers, no election spam either.
    The Majority of the candidates are from Arklow, Greystones or Wickow town..

Have you seen the Jim Tallon videos?

Heres one of the weirdest

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKCFf-em2AE

They are available at

http://www.youtube.com/user/tylercheribini

Terry Pratchet

I had my first canvassers today man and woman canvassing on behalf
    of Andrew Doyle(FG)
    The woman told me to find it in my heart to vote for doyle.

I had my first canvassers today man and woman canvassing on behalf
    of Andrew Doyle(FG)
    The woman told me to find it in my heart to vote for doyle.
    what the?

Terry Pratchet

A few posters up here in Newtown have had Tom fortunes head cut out.
    Has this happened anywhere else around.
    Some one seems to have an axe to grind with him

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Helium

lucylu wrote: »
    In North East Carlow on the Electoral boundry but we are lumped in with Wicklow for General elections but are in Carlow for local elections.. :rolleyes:
    no posters up, no canvassers, no election spam either.
    The Majority of the candidates are from Arklow, Greystones or Wickow town..

West Wicklow very poorly represented.Only Timmins from Baltinglass and he still probably getting in because of the Father.wink.gif
    Actually stopped outside house last week and couldn't be arsed calling to door because the gate was closed.mad.gif

Will be voting Labour 1,2,3 and will be looking for amendment to constitution to make West Wicklow the new 33rd county in hope of more recognition.biggrin.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 14,753 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Helium wrote: »
    West Wicklow very poorly represented.Only Timmins from Baltinglass and he still probably getting in because of the Father.wink.gif
    Actually stopped outside house last week and couldn't be arsed calling to door because the gate was closed.mad.gif

Will be voting Labour 1,2,3 and will be looking for amendment to constitution to make West Wicklow the new 33rd county in hope of more recognition.biggrin.gif

yeah, its an odd consituency Wicklow - they should really roll the western side into Kildare (it was before wasn't it?)

loyatemu wrote: »
    yeah, its an odd consituency Wicklow - they should really roll the western side into Kildare (it was before wasn't it?)
    In the 1920s or 30s the constituency was Kildare/Wicklow

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Helium

In the 1920s or 30s the constituency was Kildare/Wicklow

From where i'm sitting, we may as well be in a different county as far as rest of Wicklow is concerned.

Didn't know that bit of info about being in with Kildare in 20's or 30's, maybe that's where this neglect originated from
    smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

Advertisement