Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General election

Options
  • 21-01-2011 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭

any thoughts on the upcoming general election in Wicklow - have you thought about who you will vote for?

The candidates are

FG
    Andrew Doyle TD
    Cllr Simon Harris
    Billy Timmins TD

FF
    Cllr Pat Fitzgerald
    Dick Roche TD

Labour
    Anne Ferris
    Cllr Tom Fortune
    Cllr Conal Kavanagh

Sinn Fein
    Cllr John Brady

Green Party
    Niall Byrne

Independents
    Joe Behan
    Nicky Kelly
    Stephen Donnelly
    Charlie Keddy
    Cllr Peter Dempsey
    Cllr Pat Kavanagh
    Gerry Kinsella
    Michael Mulvihill
    Eugene Finnegan
    Thomas Clarke
    Kevin Carroll
    Anthony Fitzgerald
    Donal Kiernan
    Jim Tallon

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭FluffyCat

Think Id go for John Brady actually. He does alot for Bray and is always in the papers for promoting things.

I think its time for Dick Roche to go bye-byes. I pass him every morning as he gets picked up in his, now 2010, merc to go swimming.

Again Joe Behan hasnt done much and I dont think he would get back in, even if he tried. Plus his neighbours seem to be getting their cars vandalised because of him! They wont be voting for him again!!

The rest, to be honest, havent really heard of!! But maybe that young guy, Harris, wont have been corrupted yet, and may do well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

I think Nicky Kelly is a Labour Party member and is not on the ticket for Leinster House in this election
    O maybe he is running as an Independent

• Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Ill be voting labour myself - I'll admit here that I'm biased as a member of labour just in case people complain

Here's my thoughts on the main candidates who are in with a chance

Roche(FF): Very intelligent but also arrogant, hard worker

Fitzgerald(FF): don't know much about him but he is respected in Arklow

Doyle(FG): fairly popular although some people who voted for him in 07 seemed disappointed

Harris(FG): ambitious but I think its just personal not political ambition

Timmins(FG) - popular in West Wicklow

Ferris(Lab): Has been in the background as 20 years as Liz McManuss secretary but not any longer - strong and feisty

Fortune(Lab): Is respected around Greystones for work in the community

Kavanagh(Lab): very knowledgeable on policy

Brady(SF): Hard worker but very negative - also I am not always convinced by the media stories

Behan(ind): popular but did himself no favours voting for the budget

Kelly(ind): Popular in Arklow

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    I think Nicky Kelly is a Labour Party member and is not on the ticket for Leinster House in this election
    He wasn't selected at the labour convention but has been in talks with Sinn Fein and the United Left Alliance - he may run as a ULA candidate or independent

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    Ill be voting labour myself - I'll admit here that I'm biased as a member of labour just in case people complain

Here's my thoughts on the main candidates who are in with a chance

Roche(FF): Very intelligent but also arrogant, hard worker

Fitzgerald(FF): don't know much about him but he is respected in Arklow

Doyle(FG): fairly popular although some people who voted for him in 07 seemed disappointed

Harris(FG): ambitious but I think its just personal not political ambition

Timmins(FG) - popular in West Wicklow

Ferris(Lab): Has been in the background as 20 years as Liz McManuss secretary but not any longer - strong and feisty

Fortune(Lab): Is respected around Greystones for work in the community

Kavanagh(Lab): very knowledgeable on policy

Brady(SF): Hard worker but very negative - also I am not always convinced by the media stories

Behan(ind): popular but did himself no favours voting for the budget

Kelly(ind): Popular in Arklow

And absolutely powerless when up against county managers.I learned this two years ago when I had an issue that needed sorting.I could not believe how much so called power these county managers have.I was completely shocked tbh.They literally told him to eff off and he's in government ,and that was the end of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,753 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

do people actually think that govt ministers (even useless windbags like Roche) should be wasting their time enquiring after minor local issues?

Parish pump politics and people voting in local fixers with no interest in national issues has contributed to the shambles that is the current government - the likes of Jackie Healy-Rae are the worst examples but every constituency has at least 2 or 3 deadweight TDs who contribute nothing to the governing of the country.

I've voted Green and Labour in the past, I certainly won't be voting Green this time - Labour I don't know about, they seem to be all hot air and no policies but they are muttering about constitutional reform which IMO is the most important issue facing the country now that we've surrendered our sovereignty (our current system has failed utterly).

As for the local faces - Simon Harris is possibly a future minister, but he's a kid who's never done anything outside politics & part of the problem of government is career politicians with no understanding of the real lives their constituents lead - Enda Kenny and Eamonn Gilmore have been politicians since the 1970s, they have no connection to the real world.

Its almost certain to be a FG/Lab coalition that gets in (though the way FF are disintegrating, a FG majority must be a possibility now) - I've no real confidence in either party, but I'll enjoy seeing FF taking a kicking.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭miseagustusa

i myself will b voting independents!!!! sick of party politics!!!!!

vote no1 peter dempsey

Is Rossa Murray not going to run for SF?

Papa Smut wrote: »
    Is Rossa Murray not going to run for SF?

No - Rossa Murray is a councillor as is John Brady - John Brady is running for Sinn Fein

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

And absolutely powerless when up against county managers.I learned this two years ago when I had an issue that needed sorting.I could not believe how much so called power these county managers have.I was completely shocked tbh.They literally told him to eff off and he's in government ,and that was the end of it.

You just don't know how happy that makes me.:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Do you know what I was delighted to read that. To me that's what a county manager is supposed to do....i.e. manage!

Why should he back down just because a member of government pressuries him?

Think this sums up everything that is wrong with out political system.

TD's & Ministers should only be involved in issues of national importance and local issues should be dealt with by councils with no interference from politicians!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

murpho999 wrote: »
    Do you know what I was delighted to read that. To me that's what a county manager is supposed to do....i.e. manage!

Why should he back down just because a member of government pressuries him?

Think this sums up everything that is wrong with out political system.

TD's & Ministers should only be involved in issues of national importance and local issues should be dealt with by councils with no interference from politicians!

I agree but he was the representitive for me ,if the political system should change ,there should be people working to resolve local issues and ministers should be running the country

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

FluffyCat wrote: »
    He does alot for Bray and is always in the papers for promoting things.

Not disagreeing on the candidate (I don't know much about him tbh) but isn't one of the major problems of where we're currently at in this country the issue of the local guy looking after the local issue - surely, we as a country need to be getting to a better place with this stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭andrewdcs

Trying to find out about Stephen Donnelly in Greystones, local lad made good, international consultant, studied at the Kennedy School in Harvard. He seems very closely politically aligned to the McWilliams / Ross camp (as long as David doesn't run in north wicklow, Seanie Fitz, Dustin, Zig and Zag should throw their lot in too!). Sadly for him he has a massive head which never looks good but thats all I know from his site.
    http://stephendonnelly.ie/

After Joan Burtons 'performance' I can't with a conscience throw Labours Liz replacement a vote unless they move Joan to a less public ministry (or an institution!). That was one of the most embarrasing things I've seen over the past few weeks, that's saying a lot.

Simon Harris doesn't give me a good feeling, slightly too smooth, trustworthy but more car sales than TD. TBH I'd vote for him as he seems very smart / genuine and he's young and idealistic (when it's ok to be) but then again I'd feel more comfortable just buying a car off him. I think FG would have been better pitching him at the CC for another term, pick up a bit more gravity / experience.

Also what's the reasoning behind Labour and FG pumping 3 candidates? Seems crazy to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Merrilady

Depends on what they have to say when they call to my door (calling to my door is a joke as I have never once seen any of them and I've lived in Delgany for almost 6 years )

• Registered Users Posts: 45,045 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Stephen Donnelly and Simon Harris are my two votes at the moment, have to look more into the potential policy's and beliefs though.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Mr Posh

Harris seems a nice kid but what experience does he really have in business, rasing a family, paying a Mortgage!!! It’s the some old carrier politicians I’m afraid

We as voters need to drive the reform in 2011 which mean not voting for the same old characters to do the same old job

The one question I will be asking is: What makes YOU qualified to be a TD on my behalf???

Not that you can fix the potholes onside my house not that you lay claim to countless local improvements in the community which every other Councillor will also lay claim too and in truth are only doing the job they were elected to do in the first place.

What experience have you got in business, economics , management and life to represent me.

I will be taking a closer look at Stephen Donnelly provided there will be an alliance with other like minded independents like Shane Ross.

We need specifics and commitments on political reform

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Son of Jack

Shane Ross would be excellent, but the worry is that some Independents are just mavericks.

If there isn't a solid majority, a maverick can have the country over a barrel - as has happened in the past.

I think Simon Harris has integrity and hope he does well. He works hard and is very approachable (always ... not just around election time).

Stephen Donnelly and Simon Harris are my two votes at the moment, have to look more into the potential policy's and beliefs though.
    I don't think either of those candidates stands for anything - In Harriss case he wants to be a TD for the sake of being a TD - Stephen Donnelly is standing on some vague platform about negotiations with the IMF despite the fact that an independent will have no such role

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭SitUbuSit

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    I don't think either of those candidates stands for anything - In Harriss case he wants to be a TD for the sake of being a TD - Stephen Donnelly is standing on some vague platform about negotiations with the IMF despite the fact that an independent will have no such role

There are a lot more policy objectives than just IMF negotiations on Donnelly's website. Check out http://www.stephendonnelly.ie/vision

If we want to see better quality representation in Dáil Éireann, then we need to start electing people with skills and expertise to work on national issues...but this is a big mind-shift from how we normally elect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,753 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Stephen Donnelly is on Vincent Browne tonight apparently.

Stephen Donnelly policy document launched yesterday, worth a read

http://stephendonnelly.ie/vision/

Here is VB from last night, I do find him amusing I have to say, at least he cuts to the chase

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jellybeano

Mr Posh wrote: »
    We as voters need to drive the reform in 2011 which mean not voting for the same old characters to do the same old job

The one question I will be asking is: What makes YOU qualified to be a TD on my behalf???

What experience have you got in business, economics , management and life to represent me.

I will be taking a closer look at Stephen Donnelly provided there will be an alliance with other like minded independents like Shane Ross.

We need specifics and commitments on political reform
    If we want to see better quality representation in Dáil Éireann, then we need to start electing people with skills and expertise to work on national issues...but this is a big mind-shift from how we normally elect.

I agree, the irish political system is rotten to the core. The last thing we need is to elect locals who sort out local issues. We need a team of national leaders who can make and implement the correct solutions to our national crisis. Stephen Donnelly is fresh and seems have experience in helping countries in trouble. He gets my vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭airscotty

I'll be looking for the most qualified candidate to deal with national issues. Stephen Donnelly seems to fit the bill so far.

I dont understand how ministers can be shifted from Health to Transport to Education etc when they may have no experience or quilifications in that area? Surly it should be the most qualified person for the position??

Totally agree, its just madness to have these posters boys/girls who move from one department to the next looking for the easiest project to take credit for when in reality it’s the senior civil servants making and implementing decisions.

I would like to see senior civil servants accountable for there decisions and actions, if there are not up to scratch or are not performing then we as tax payers should have the ability to remove them from there roles.

Bertie makes me laugh claiming he knew nothing about what was going on, any good CEO needs to put a competent team together and if that team fails to deliver it is the fault of the CEO who put that team together!!! so yes YOU Bertie

Having looked more into it Stephen Donnelly defiantly has my vote

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

jellybeano wrote:
    I agree, the irish political system is rotten to the core. The last thing we need is to elect locals who sort out local issues. We need a team of national leaders who can make and implement the correct solutions to our national crisis. Stephen Donnelly is fresh and seems have experience in helping countries in trouble. He gets my vote.

You might want to move to Wicklow to vote for any of the candidates here, if your current location (Dublin) is anything to go by.

Looks like a shill to me, but I'll leave that to the Mods to decide.

Anyone who votes for any candidate on the basis of what he/she has done for the town/area/local GAA club really needs to wise up. Politicians more interested in attending funerals to be seen and who are more worried about getting votes next time around are precisely why we are in the mire we find ourselves in now.

Problem with the council? That's what councillors are for!

There's a saying: Don't hate the player, hate the game. Well it's time the game changed.

I liked Stephen Donnelly's appearance on VB.
    He was coherent and looked like he understood what he was talking about.
    He reminded me of the Irish times economics correspondent Dan O'Brien-A similar excelent grasp of what to do.

He's one of Shane Ross's gang of like minded independents.Not entirely right wing not Centre and not left but a little bit of all three without being an all over the place,what way is the wind blowing centrist.

As regards FF,I think they chose Pat Fitzgerald down in Arklow to run in the hope people who vote for him will give their no.2 to Roche and help bring him over the line.
    Arklow is a funny place like that...they remember the people who got that pothole fixed etc and Fitz is big on the ground like that.
    He'll get 2 or 3000 votes.
    I've heard a lot of FF'ers though who said they won't vote for Roche this time so they might give Pat a go meaning there is the outside possibility that this may backfire and Fitz gets elected.
    I do think FF will scrape one seat.

Personally I've my mind made up a long time ago.
    This whole debate palava is just pure [pardon my french] shoite that matters nothing to anyone really.
    Just promote your policies,appear on primetime etc lads and forget the theatrics.

I can't vote for FF for obvious reasons.I generally vote to sack incompetents
    So I'm voting 1,2,3 FG and then Labour.
    Though,theres a possibility yet that Stephen Donnelly will get my no.1 if he further impresses with the transfers going 234 fg 567 labour.

No need for me to carry on the transfers after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 jungledrums

It's interesting that people here see that a parish pump politics is a thing of the past. If you apply for a job you should have the requisite skills for that job they same should apply to politics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Hi all. Can ye discuss the candidates & their policies without spamming their websites all through the thread. Yes Donnelly supporters, I'm looking at you.

Thanks,

HB

Advertisement