Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor Lenihan on Vincent Browne tonight

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭SB-08

If anything the Greens come out of this with an ounce of dignity (not much I know) and Cowen finally has his bully boy tactics exposed to the world !

I don't think March 11th will be the election date with all the back-biting and in-fighting. I wouldn't be surprised to see the dail dissolved by the end of next week!

I agree - it is highly unlikely this Govt will last until then. There is a very strong chance of a NO confidence motion being placed on Cowen this coming Tuesday. Getting 18 signitures will be very easy and with people who voted for Cowen now wanting him gone - he has no chance whatsoever. I think the chances of Brian Lenihan now telling Cowen to just step down are highly likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,682 ✭✭✭flutered

He actually scared me tonight - came across as a psycho

From livid to laughing in 60 secs - is that the capability of normal people??? This is a serious question if anyone can answer

this seems to be the norm for members of the dispicable party.

According to Kevin Doyle from the Herald - Conor Lenihan has said Cowen "has not a shred of credibility left" & has done a "catastrophic disservice to politics".

Erm, while he is not wrong in what he says - surely this applies to all of FF who have voted through all of the disastrous policies that have ruined the country and brought in the IMF? Does he really believe FF as a whole have any credibility left or have done a good service to politics over the past few years?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

SB-08 wrote: »
    I agree - it is highly unlikely this Govt will last until then. There is a very strong chance of a NO confidence motion being placed on Cowen this coming Tuesday. Getting 18 signitures will be very easy and with people who voted for Cowen now wanting him gone - he has no chance whatsoever. I think the chances of Brian Lenihan now telling Cowen to just step down are highly likely.

He probably will and maybe by 1 o'clock today ...cue Sean O'Rourke interview again! But considering Conors damning of his own brother last night, Brian Lenihan's only hope now is to weigh in behind Martin and maybe rebuild the party together in their own image

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭smokingman

Missed the show but I'd be curious to see if Vinny tried to troll Lenny on the debacle with supporting the book launch of a creationist anti-science book....when he was the science minister...

The guy is a dim-witted fool imo and while I'm no fan of Vinny, I'm looking forward to watching him tear that clown a new one.

• Advertisement

He probably will and maybe by 1 o'clock today ...cue Sean O'Rourke interview again! But considering Conors damning of his own brother last night, Brian Lenihan's only hope now is to weigh in behind Martin and maybe rebuild the party together in their own image

Yes, Lenny has been too damaged and Hanny is totally out of the question. Martin is the only option to take over at this stage - and considering Martin was annoyed about Cowen's handling of the IMF announcement- he will surely be fuming by yesterday's events therefor be very much riled up and ready to challenge yet again.

The option of Cowen remaining Taoiseach like Martin wanted are no longer even remotely credible. FF's best strategy now is to oust Cowen - the election to be held in 3-4 weeks time and for them to attack Cowen and blame him on everything to try to promote the idea of change. It won't work as such but they would do slightly better if they had such a stategy. They need to distance themselves from Cowen as much as possible. As someone commented yesterday - one would have to now assume that Cowen is actually a FG Mole placed in FF with the sole intention to do as much damage to the party as possible. It is amazing.

Another thing - why has Cowen still not sacked Conor Lenihan? He has essentially said Cowen has dis-respected the office of Taoiseach - this is no longer a matter of FF leadership - Lenihan is now of the view that Cowen is no longer fit to be the Taoiseach which is a totally different and far more damaging position. Conor has challenged Cowen to sack him and appears to be goading him - further evidence that Cowen is no longer in the right frame of mind and must go now.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭jonsnow

Everyones praising Vincent Brownes performance as masterful last night and while it was good he also kept trying to downplay the importance of yesterday - saying it was a relatively minor miscalculation by Cowen thats been blown out of proportion by the armageddon type atmosphere in the country and is just the proverbial straw.Compared to his pet hobby horse of social equality etc. etc.it is a storm in a teacup that will all be forgotten soon.

Yesterday and the last week will NEVER be forgotten.It is the historic and farcical low-point of our bankrupt political system and classes.Double-jobbing ministers during a massive crisis, ingrained stroke pulling,the nua -fianna failers blowing their chances of reforming their party and ensuring its survival in order to get seats at the big table for 8 weeks from the guy they have been maneuvering against for years,senior FF figures telling us that they had no faith in Cowen as leader of Fianna Fail but they did have confidence in him as taoiseach,noone in government playing a blind bit of notice to Sarkozys attack on our corporate tax rate which is keeping our exports booming because internal FF party interests trump the national interest .This is the fall of Rome.How did we ever take these people seriously.Browne didnt seem to register that.

For what its worth i thought Elaine Byrnes icy contempt for Lenihan/Boyle and for our political classes in general was much better than Brownes histrionics.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭DJCR

FF's best strategy now is to oust Cowen

And who will replace him? Who wants to lead the Party into their biggest ever defeat?
    FF are better off getting battered and then re-emerging after the election with a new leader, shadow cabinet (I'm assuming they will be the largest party in opposition - though I admit that, thats not a sure thing at all)
    and most importantly new, younger candidates, to leave the cronyism behind.

Vincent gave Connor L an aweful time of it tonight, I mean he really should learn to drop it when he hits a dead end. Did he ask Dan Boyle about the next election at all? Is he even running, what are the greens at?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

jonsnow Vincent Browne is far from perfect but he is head and shoulders over the interviewers on RTE who almost genuflect before the senior members of Fianna Fail. From my perspective he spends too much time waffling himself and doesn't let some of his panellists get enough airtime to express themselves. I agree with you about Elaine Byrne whose clinical analysis landed far more direct hits than Browne did. I suppose you could say that Vincent Browne is like a boxer who comes out swinging wildly from the offset of a boxing match. He flings so many punches around that he has to every now and then land a knockout blow.

My wife cannot stand him and there was a groan from her last night when I switched the show on. However she sat there mesmerized as the car crash of a show unfolded. She said she nearly expected Conor Lenihan to have a heart attack on air he was appearing to get worked up so much. She like others then turned around and said "hmmm he has calmed down very quickly".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

DJCR wrote: »
    Vincent gave Connor L an aweful time of it tonight, I mean he really should learn to drop it when he hits a dead end. Did he ask Dan Boyle about the next election at all? Is he even running, what are the greens at?

Vinny has said that he expects the greens to lose every seat, which is why he probably doesnt take much of an interest in the going forward

• Advertisement

DJCR wrote: »
    And who will replace him? Who wants to lead the Party into their biggest ever defeat?
    FF are better off getting battered and then re-emerging after the election with a new leader, shadow cabinet (I'm assuming they will be the largest party in opposition - though I admit that, thats not a sure thing at all)
    and most importantly new, younger candidates, to leave the cronyism behind.

If they don't oust him now there is a very real chance they may never recover at all!!

And as strange and horrifying as this sounds until the Labour party figure out how to run as many credible candidates as FG in elections, Irish politicsmight need FF as the largest party in opposition (albeit critically wounded), otherwise our entire opposition will be fronted by hard left / independents and protest politics, and I for one don't wish to see that scenario, where the opposition don't hold govt accountable or come up with policy which can be used .

We may be on the verge of seeing the death of the 3 party /Coalition system.

I wonder if Cowen feels proud of his record in govt this morning, hes managed to destroy 2 political parties and tread on what little faith that the Irish people had left in the political system here ! :mad:

gandalf wrote: »
    She like others then turned around and said "hmmm he has calmed down very quickly".

To be fair I'd say he was probably wrecked!! :D:D:D You can only repeat yourself so many times. Maybe a bit of degection as well as he replayed what he said in his mind!! I full expect him to leave or get sacked before the end of the day.

Irish politicsmight need FF as the largest party in opposition (albeit critically wounded), otherwise our entire opposition will be fronted by hard left / independents and protest politics, and I for one don't wish to see that scenario, where the opposition don't hold govt accountable or come up with policy which can be used .

:eek::eek::eek::eek: Jesus, never even thought of that !!!!
    come up with policy which can be used

Oh labour where art thou? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭InigoMontoya

zig wrote: »
    I noticed that too, completely lost the head and a few seconds later hes answering the next question in a calm polite manner again.
    flutered wrote: »
    this seems to be the norm for members of the dispicable party.
    To be fair, it's necessary to do this if the tone changes, since otherwise you end up sitting there looking like a psycho while the rest of the panel moves on to a less heated issue. You can't just sit in a TV studio sulking about what someone said 5 minutes ago.

He is on making a show of himself on Liveline right now. :rolleyes:

He is on making a show of himself on Liveline right now. :rolleyes:

Admitedly he does have the balls to face the people, his leadership haven't and have repeatedly avoided the people apart from when their own jobs were on the line (*cough* Mr.Cowen....)

Did he just threaten to vote against the govt. in the no-confidence motion at the end of that call??

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Jesus Conor is getting desperate for his seat going on Joe Duffy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭zig

btw what does "take you full on with this matter" actually mean?

zig wrote: »
    btw what does "take you full on with this matter" actually mean?

Legal action perhaps? That is a court case I would love to see. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

I do think he is being passionate and is genuinely distraught at what is happening. He said on TV that he was disappointed with his own brother! However, the analyst sitting beside him on VB asked him where was this kind of passion when the government had to take economic decisions? Thought it was a very good point by her - Who was she btw? Was impressed with some of her inputs last night.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

Has that man recieved any media training. What an idiot. Hes really made himself look bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

However, the analyst sitting beside him on VB asked him where was this kind of passion when the government had to take economic decisions? Thought it was a very good point by her - Who was she btw? Was impressed with some of her inputs last night.

Her name is Dr Elaine Byrne from TCD and yes she was excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Flimbos

I do think he is being passionate and is genuinely distraught at what is happening. He said on TV that he was disappointed with his own brother! However, the analyst sitting beside him on VB asked him where was this kind of passion when the government had to take economic decisions? Thought it was a very good point by her - Who was she btw? Was impressed with some of her inputs last night.

I think that was Elaine Byrne last night, she's lectures Political Science in TCD.

George Hook about to discuss Conor's outburst on Vinny B last night. Hopefully he will get him on the line about it.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

Conor Lenihan has been all over the airwaves today, waffling on about how the party needs to remove Cowen.

However each time he's asked to resign, in protest at Cowen leadership, Lenihan says that Cowen is free to fire him instead.

Tweedledum and Tweedledee.

We really do deserve better than this charade.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

i have nothing personal against brian cowen nor any of them, but i think the party is now looking a circus, it has only brought itself to these low debts, how do they think we the public see them, not with respect, they lost that, cannot take them seriously as a political party, i would only expect the behaviour that is going on in the classroom of 14 yr olds, how can they think that anyone would want that kind of people running our country, they are making a laughing stock of us to the rest of the world, they sold our soveregnty for thirty pieces of silver, i think we should be reversing any decisions they and the other bandits the greens have made as soon as possible, and having the election tomorrow if possible

• Registered Users Posts: 6,682 ✭✭✭flutered

these people are completly out of touch with the ordinary people, they seem to be in there own little world, which they control, do what they imagne needs to be done, we to them are just a tiny irritant which they need to listen to ocasionaly, (usualy every 4 years),

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

flutered wrote: »
    these people are completly out of touch with the ordinary people, they seem to be in there own little world, which they control, do what they imagne needs to be done, we to them are just a tiny irritant which they need to listen to ocasionaly, (usualy every 4 years),
    they are acting far from professional or educated, actually starting to look like scumbags really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭sligopark

goat2 wrote: »
    they are acting far from professional or educated, actually starting to look like scumbags really

I agree with everything here - except the starting bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭deanh

Has that man recieved any media training. What an idiot. Hes really made himself look bad.

I thought that before he was a T.D., he was political correspondant on a Dublin radio station? 98fm? He should be used to the media by now. Then again he did fall asleep on Ireland Am on TV3.

Advertisement