Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A cautionary tale

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,849 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

ISDW wrote: »
    But it looks as though Cameron will get rid of it, which I think shows that it is a class issue over there.

Cameron seems to be backing down on his pledge to allow MP's a free vote on repealing the ban - there is every likelihood that he would lose & the Lib Dems, his coalition partners oppose hunting.
    lrushe wrote: »
    It's not so much that I take it personally that someone criticises Ireland, I know Ireland and it's problems, it's just that it can become tiresome to constantly hear "Bad Ireland, in the UK/Canada they do x,y or z which is so much better"

I usually refer to Europe rather than just the UK. Maybe it becomes tiresome because we all know that it is true. Ireland has always been sensitive to criticism from outside the country. It may be that the only way that we will get decent legislation will either be by being shamed into doing it or by European legislation.

I would love to think that we would want to be one of the best in Europe. That we could take pride in showing compassion to animals. But, in reality, many search the World to point out that other countries are just as bad as us rather than focussing on how we can improve.

The worry for those who do care is that there is no clear light at the end of the tunnel. There is a very gradual improvement but no likelihood of any real change in attitudes & you can't make things better without the support of the population.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Discodog wrote: »
    Cameron seems to be backing down on his pledge to allow MP's a free vote on repealing the ban - there is every likelihood that he would lose & the Lib Dems, his coalition partners oppose hunting.

They oppose a lot of things, but being in power seems to make them forget that.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,849 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

ISDW wrote: »
    They oppose a lot of things, but being in power seems to make them forget that.:rolleyes:

Well even the Tories have said that there will be no vote this year - that doesn't like confidence to me. This coalition will end up with a split in the Liberal Democrats just as the Greens will split here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭lrushe

Discodog wrote: »
    I usually refer to Europe rather than just the UK. Maybe it becomes tiresome because we all know that it is true. Ireland has always been sensitive to criticism from outside the country. It may be that the only way that we will get decent legislation will either be by being shamed into doing it or by European legislation.

I would love to think that we would want to be one of the best in Europe. That we could take pride in showing compassion to animals. But, in reality, many search the World to point out that other countries are just as bad as us rather than focussing on how we can improve.

The worry for those who do care is that there is no clear light at the end of the tunnel. There is a very gradual improvement but no likelihood of any real change in attitudes & you can't make things better without the support of the population.

I guess I agree with the message if not always the messenger sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

I am solely replying to OP first post, not to anything inbetween.

A dog is a dog is a dog. To live with animals (not just dogs) works for me on several levels:

- mutual respect
    - common sense
    - mutual trust
    - knowledge

Any dog, horse, cat owner etc knows he/she can get bitten, kicked, scratched. It comes with the territory. However, that is where the knowledge and common sense kicks in. Horse are flight animals, dogs are opportunistic scavengers with TEETH and cats have claws and teeth and know how to use them.

The only times I got bitten was when I didn't heed my own advice (splitting up
    fighting dogs for example).

Know WHAT you are dealing with and the rest is easy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Graces7 wrote: »
    As breeders, whippets and greyhounds. As rescuers, trainers etc, etc, all breeds. Here in Ireland, our resources are very limited but both our dogs are rescues; collie and JRT/Basset cross. if it has four legs and barks, we will care for it.... ;) If it has four legs and miaws, also; two rescue cats also.

Hmmmm... not too long ago you wrote this:
    Graces7 wrote: »
    Most DOG OWNERS need training.

I count myself among these; until the two rescues came this way I had personally never had a dog; it was Siamese then rescue cats for me.

:confused:

Anyhoo, it matters not or so it seems :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

I have to say one thing,dogs dont go bad only humans do.

I have been bitten several times by strangers dogs,and i never blamed the dog always the owner.

One thing all animals on planet have in common is they are unpredictable.
    And it is an awful shame she put that dog down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭jippers87

This thread is so long that I'll be honest and say that I haven't read all the replies but I want to add something.

The idea of never taking food from a dog is totally ludicrous to me. Both my dogs know that they do not take anything unless I tell them they can and I can walk to either dog and take away the bone they are chewing, or the bowl they are eating from.
    They trust me and patiently wait.

To not train your dog in this way is a disaster waiting to happen!

You should be able to do ANYTHING with your animal and they should trust you enough for you to trust them.

Advertisement