Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin marathon 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

shels4ever wrote: »
    That better not mean i'll have to run it twice... It will be a cold day in hell that I go furhter then 26.2m

A whole new meaning to the phrase 'to Hell or to Connacht'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭opus

4 stars (good)
    eliwallach wrote: »
    BMW Berlin Marathon website revamped (for the better).
    Can check participants based on several different criteria.

Don't seem to be working at the moment :confused: Was kind of hoping to see myself there seeing as I registered last Oct!

Checked again this morning & it's working fine now, glad to see I'm there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭ergo

You can still order them for months afterwards, so personally I wouldn't bother.
    The 2009 t-shirt was a lot nicer than the 2010.

I agree, I got the 2009 red Finisher t-shirt at the expo - a very nice shirt

sorry, I just realised I'm replying to a post from a few months ago, it is on the previous page though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

4 stars (good)
    Training for this starting next week for me.
    Will be good to get back into a regular training schedule again :)
    Good luck to everyone and hopefully we all stay injury free.
    Neil

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Cindyss

In the same boat Neilc, just finishing of my 3rd week of recovery after the Limerick marathon, up to 30 miles this week and into an 18 week program, The best of luck, I am sure we can share some advice over the next 4 months, gary

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

3 stars (average)
    Good news, Haile is running Berlin this year

http://www.iaaf.org/LRR11/news/newsid=60342.html

100 days away :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Good news, Haile is running Berlin this year

http://www.iaaf.org/LRR11/news/newsid=60342.html

100 days away :eek:

Finally I get to race him :)

4 stars (good)
    Finally I get to race him :)

Not like Declan Moffit I hope. :)
    Neil

Anyone know what the powerbar drinks are like, seems thats whats on rute in Berlin?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Anyone know what the powerbar drinks are like, seems thats whats on rute in Berlin?
    It's the one negative point in an otherwise very well organized race. Bloody plastics cups of water, and crappy horrendous no-name sports drinks. Better off carrying a string of gels and try to get as much water into the system as you can at the plastic cup stations.

By the way, technically I beat Haile in NYC marathon as he DNF'ed, so that makes the score 1-1, by my reckoning. I think he's going to Berlin because he heard I'm off to Chicago this year. :)

• Advertisement

It's the one negative point in an otherwise very well organized race. Bloody plastics cups of water, and crappy horrendous no-name sports drinks. Better off carrying a string of gels and try to get as much water into the system as you can at the plastic cup stations.

By the way, technically I beat Haile in NYC marathon as he DNF'ed, so that makes the score 1-1, by my reckoning. I think he's going to Berlin because he heard I'm off to Chicago this year. :)
    Was expecting the plastic cup :( really hate them!
    Time to start looking at gels now.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭In the Woods

Better start practicing with plastic cups on the long runs. They're a disaster alright. Had forgotten that Berlin still did cups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

3 stars (average)
    Better start practicing with plastic cups on the long runs. They're a disaster alright. Had forgotten that Berlin still did cups.

Carrying a straw in the race with you is the only handy way to drink from a plastic cup without losing time IMO

menoscemo wrote: »
    Carrying a straw in the race with you is the only handy way to drink from a plastic cup without losing time IMO

Do you put in a cocktail umbrella and an olive to ? :)

I see Paula Radcliffe is targeting Berlin this year for her next marathon. Shels: are you sure you wouldn't rather watch the race than run it?!

I see Paula Radcliffe is targeting Berlin this year for her next marathon. Shels: are you sure you wouldn't rather watch the race than run it?!
    I always enjoy watching Marathons more then running them ;), might retire after this one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

I now stop drink 2 cups and start again. Having a big gob has its adv sometimes.
    Hydration is far more important that say losing 30 seconds...........Watxh who you are beside. Speed up with 50m to go to it and drink and catch up.

4 stars (good)
    Or if it's like last year you can absorb water through your pores from the lashing rain :)

Started the 12 week P&D program for Berlin this week, trying the 70 mile/week one this time round, first week was tough going.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

4 stars (good)
    opus wrote: »
    Or if it's like last year you can absorb water through your pores from the lashing rain :)

Started the 12 week P&D program for Berlin this week, trying the 70 mile/week one this time round, first week was tough going.

Do not bring that rain from Cork again :D ( tough if its hot I might b praying for it ).... Best of luck with the training... I take it ur in the Sub 3 pen this year ;)

4 stars (good)
    I'm five full weeks into the 18 week/55m program. This is my third marathon, after following Mr Higdon for the first two, P&D seems to be a big step-up for me. It called for 16 miles @ pmp today but between Dunshaughlin yesterday and the heat today I abandoned the pmp aspect of it till next week.
    Still it's the only session I haven't followed to the letter so far. I'm feeling good about the program and my progress so far and am starting to allow myself believe I can go sub 3:30, fingers crossed.
    Neil

• Advertisement

neilc wrote: »
    It called for 16 miles @ pmp today but between Dunshaughlin yesterday and the heat today I abandoned the pmp aspect of it till next week.
    I don't think any of the P&D programs have 16 miles @pmp. Are you sure you're interpreting it correctly?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭plodder

There was a 16 mile run in the P&D plan for Berlin today, but it was "only" 10 miles at PMP. Did it along the north Dublin coast myself, so there was a nice enough breeze for most of it.

4 stars (good)
    I don't think any of the P&D programs have 16 miles @pmp. Are you sure you're interpreting it correctly?
    Sorry Krusty, didn't explain myself too well there, should have said 16m with 10 at pmp.

4 stars (good)
    plodder wrote: »
    There was a 16 mile run in the P&D plan for Berlin today, but it was "only" 10 miles at PMP. Did it along the north Dublin coast myself, so there was a nice enough breeze for most of it.

Ya just got in before me :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭anymore

I'd say it would be the exact opposite ! Problem with most plastic cups is that they are so flimsy, so trying to hold one and keep a straw in it would be very difficulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

4 stars (good)

Is day one of the 12 week plan not Monday 4th July? At least that's when I'm starting it. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

3 stars (average)
    anymore wrote: »
    I'd say it would be the exact opposite ! Problem with most plastic cups is that they are so flimsy, so trying to hold one and keep a straw in it would be very difficulty.

I have paced a few halfs/marathons recently with drinks in Plastic cups. Handing out the straws to the pacees has been a great success as most were choking on the water before getting a straw. I haven't had any trouble with the cups being too flimsy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭anymore

Is day one of the 12 week plan not Monday 4th July? At least that's when I'm starting it. :confused:
    There are 12 weeks and 5 days to go according to Berlin Clock !
    http://www.bmw-berlin-marathon.com/en/

4 stars (good)
    liamo123 wrote: »
    Do not bring that rain from Cork again :D ( tough if its hot I might b praying for it ).... Best of luck with the training... I take it ur in the Sub 3 pen this year ;)

Cheers Liam, yeah I asked them to change my start area a few weeks back, going to be quite a challenge but I'll give it a lash.

I've holidays & stuff over the Summer so need some buffer time in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

4 stars (good)
    I've holidays & stuff over the Summer so need some buffer time in there.

Not confused anymore - good luck with the training

Advertisement