Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin marathon 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

4 stars (good)
    Will have to try some of the power bar gels myself. Anybody know of any shops in Dublin that stock them? Will have a look myself later and am just being lazy :)

Great Outdoors and Runways have them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

4 stars (good)
    shels4ever wrote: »
    Had them in runworx when i was in there last week.

Is runwork down beside the NCT test centre in Liffey valley?
    Great Outdoors and Runways have them.

Perfecto have a 30 voucher for Runways so will buy 30 quids worth with that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Is runwork down beside the NCT test centre in Liffey valley?

Perfecto have a 30 voucher for Runways so will buy 30 quids worth with that
    Yep as you go in the powerbar stuff is beside the till.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

liamo123 wrote: »
    As a matter of interest did u try any of the hot drinks at the aid stations last year???... I didnt go near any while running but sampled a bit at marathon end... I presume it that Powerbar punch u refered to....It tasted quite nice....

It was great at the end of the race (because it was f%^&*ing freezing, but I wouldn't have drank it during the race. Wouldn't know what would happen during the race taking on a hot drink. Fine for the 5:30+ finishers (of which there are loads in Berlin) where hypothermia becomes a risk during a cold wet race with 5+ hours on your feet, but I wouldn't take on a hot drink during the race unless you've done it during training.

Last year they were handing out PowerBar gels at around mile 17, but nowhere else on the course, so you'll still have to carry your own if you plan on taking them regularly.

4 stars (good)

Last year they were handing out PowerBar gels at around mile 17, but nowhere else on the course, so you'll still have to carry your own if you plan on taking them regularly.

Thanks that was my next question i.e how frequently are the gel stations. I know I asked you before but how many gels do you normally take and how do you carry them around with you. I'm taking one on my long runs at the moment and find them annoying to carry on me so normally drop them off and pick them up later, won't be able to do that in Berlin obviously!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Thanks that was my next question i.e how frequently are the gel stations. I know I asked you before but how many gels do you normally take and how do you carry them around with you. I'm taking one on my long runs at the moment and find them annoying to carry on me so normally drop them off and pick them up later, won't be able to do that in Berlin obviously!

The Iso gels are very bulky actually, my last long run I brough 3 with me to try. Had them pinned onto my shorts and wasnt to bad, but if you have more then 4 they would really annoy me.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

4 stars (good)

My gel of choice since I started this marathon running lark is Powerbar Caffeinated Green Apple flavour...IMO there the best tasting/ easiest to get down Powerbar gels....Having said that there like taking a mouthful of marmalade so u need to drink water with them... I get them in Staggs bicycle shop Lucan village...( the more u buy the cheaper he gives them to 2 )

As regards carrying them I can fit 2 in the pocket of my shorts and I pin on 2 more to the front of my shorts...

I use the Isotonic gels too, so they're a little bulkier. I don't generally use them in training at all, but take the odd one during a race (e.g. the Dublin Mountain Plod and WW Relay (both 13+miles)) so I know they agree with me. They don't have as much carbs as other gels (e.g. PowerBar gels) so you're supposed to take them more often. I usually carry 5 during a marathon, but typically only take 4 - approximately one every 10k. I use this belt which holds them (and hides them!) very well.

4 stars (good)
    I use the Isotonic gels too, so they're a little bulkier. I don't generally use them in training at all, but take the odd one during a race (e.g. the Dublin Mountain Plod and WW Relay (both 13+miles)) so I know they agree with me. They don't have as much carbs as other gels (e.g. PowerBar gels) so you're supposed to take them more often. I usually carry 5 during a marathon, but typically only take 4 - approximately one every 10k. I use this belt which holds them (and hides them!) very well.

Thanks krusty but I'll be honest with you that looks like a fanny pack to me :D

Only if you wear it on the front. Typically these are worn to the rear and *cough* under your singlet. Maybe by mile 23 you'll have stopped worrying about how you look, and can start focusing on how fast you're running? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

3 stars (average)

LOL, funny you should mention it, I use a bog standard 'Fanny pack' like this. I got it as a money pouch years ago for a few € in an airport, but recently discovered it is great for holding my phone and keys while running, so have used it the last few marathons to hold gels/electrlyte tablets etc. I can comfortably fit about 6 or 7 gels and a tube of electrolytes in there and causes me no bother.

4 stars (good)
    Only if you wear it on the front. Typically these are worn to the rear and *cough* under your singlet. Maybe by mile 23 you'll have stopped worrying about how you look, and can start focusing on how fast you're running? ;)

By mile 23 I could be down to just my boxers. I'm a style over substance man. I'd rather look good failing than look bad succeeding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Anyone heading over to this to spectate? The idea popped into my head a while ago. Haile is running it as is Paula Radcliffe I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

4 stars (good)
    Anyone know of any 10/15k races on 13/8/11 on the east coast. P&D calls for a tune up race for that day but the only one I can see is the Claregalway 10k which would be a bit of a trek.

3 stars (average)
    neilc wrote: »
    Anyone know of any 10/15k races on 13/8/11 on the east coast. P&D calls for a tune up race for that day but the only one I can see is the Claregalway 10k which would be a bit of a trek.

It's a week out, but I'm just gonna leave it a week and do the Frank Duffy 10 miler in the race series. No harm swapping weeks/sessions around when necessary IMO.

4 stars (good)
    menoscemo wrote: »
    It's a week out, but I'm just gonna leave it a week and do the Frank Duffy 10 miler in the race series. No harm swapping weeks/sessions around when necessary IMO.
    Yeah completely agree and would normally do that too but I'm racing the warriors run on the 27th and don't really want to race two weekends in a row coming so close to Berlin. Have to find a race for sept 10th yet too.

3 stars (average)
    Yeah completely agree and would normally do that too but I'm racing the warriors run on the 27th and don't really want to race two weekends in a row coming so close to Berlin. Have to find a race for sept 10th yet too.

There's a 10k in Firhourse (BHAA race) and another in blessington (the lakes 10k) that day. I'll be doing the latter as it got great reviews last year.

4 stars (good)
    menoscemo wrote: »
    There's a 10k in Firhourse (BHAA race) and another in blessington (the lakes 10k) that day. I'll be doing the latter as it got great reviews last year.

yeah 2 good races in my opinion. Blessington is the better of the 2, one big loop versus 2. Blessington has a bitch of a hill at around 8k but is fast overall. Free muffins, jellies and ice cream also available at Blessington.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

3 stars (average)

A week too early for you...There's a 10k in Bray on aug 7th, although I'm not sure how well organised it will be, haven't heard too much about it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

3 stars (average)
    Is that run on the Sat worth doing or should we just put the feet up for the day?

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    eliwallach wrote: »
    Is that run on the Sat worth doing or should we just put the feet up for the day?
    Think I'm going to do my own 10k-ish from the house Saturday, nothing really handy close by. Have the next two tune-up races boxed off though, Warriors on the 27th and as menoscemo suggested The Lakes 10k on the 10th Sept.

3 stars (average)
    Think I'm going to do my own 10k-ish from the house Saturday, nothing really handy close by. Have the next two tune-up races boxed off though, Warriors on the 27th and as menoscemo suggested The Lakes 10k on the 10th Sept.

I think Eliwallach is talking about the breakfast run the day before the marathon?

Anyways Neilc, see you down in Blessington, I'll be wearing the boards Ac singlet..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭opus

4 stars (good)

I did it last year as it was a nice morning & the start was within walking distance of the hotel. Going to give it a miss this year and get some extra sleep as it's a lot of shuffling due to the sheer number of people there and it's an early start as well.

Running into the Olympic Stadium was pretty cool though. Few pics attached will give you an idea what it's like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

3 stars (average)
    opus wrote: »
    I did it last year as it was a nice morning & the start was within walking distance of the hotel. Going to give it a miss this year and get some extra sleep as it's a lot of shuffling due to the sheer number of people there and it's an early start as well.

Running into the Olympic Stadium was pretty cool though. Few pics attached will give you an idea what it's like.

Hardly an endorsement.
    I think I'll give it a miss.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

4 stars (good)
    Hardly an endorsement.
    I think I'll give it a miss.
    Thanks.

Another option if u want to stretch the legs Saturday morning and if ur not staying too far away is to head down to the start/finish area and have a quick trot around the Tier-garden... Loads of trails to have a jog on....I did it last year.... Not too many around and wets the appetite for the following days excitement :) ... Also nice to do a dry run of getting to the marathon village expecially if ur not sure how to get there.....

4 stars (good)
    Anyone know is there pacers in Berlin and if so what times?

4 stars (good)
    Did a count last night. 16 runners from my club or friends of mine have entered Berlin. Down to 12, the other 4 have picked up injuries. Another 1-2 are carrying niggles and less than 50/50. Trying to make it to start line fit and healthy is more than half the job!

There were in previous years. Every 15 mins, if memory serves me correctly. With the crowds though it may be difficult to get in touch/stay with the pacers. It would be a good idea to have a pace band with you, just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭jacquib

Yeah, they have pacers. Starting @ 2.45, 3h, 3.15, 3.30 up to 5hrs I think. Just make sure you get their early enough & get in the right section for the pace that you want.
    I done it last year & found it difficult enough to find out where to put my bag & then to get back in time to my start area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Dipity

Any good suggestions for last minute accommodation for Berlin? Trying to sort this out at the mo.

Need to get something for the Saturday and Sunday.

Advertisement