Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creatine Monohydrate ?

Options
  • 18-01-2011 9:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

My friends have been raving about this stuff for weeks and claim its natural, but they also take stuff like jack3d and N.O shotgun (which I don't trust).

I'm considering buying the Creatine Monohydrate but wanted to ask you guys your thoughts on it and if you think its natural (well as natural as this stuff gets) and if you think its worth while.

p.s if you quoting any articles or if you know of any that might be useful can you please link them :)

Thanks Jacob

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭mrpink6789

You'll prob get some mixed reviews here.

Personally I have been using Creatine Ethyl Ester for the last 5 weeks, yes I definitely have found I have had more strength and have seen some size gains. However I have also been eating a lot more calories and increased my protein intake so maybe its that?

Im taking nothing next week and then Im going to try Monohydrate after that to see if I notice a difference.

My advice would be to just life heavy, eat more protein and increase your calorie intake, if you feel you could do with an extra push try it out to see what you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

1994jacob wrote: »
    My friends have been raving about this stuff for weeks and claim its natural, but they also take stuff like jack3d and N.O shotgun (which I don't trust).

I'm considering buying the Creatine Monohydrate but wanted to ask you guys your thoughts on it and if you think its natural (well as natural as this stuff gets) and if you think its worth while.

p.s if you quoting any articles or if you know of any that might be useful can you please link them :)

Thanks Jacob

I think unless already training hard 3/4 days every single week and eating 1g+ protein bodyweight perday for the best part of a year Id say no.
    define natural, everything you eat thats in a packet isnt natural

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

mrpink6789 wrote: »
    You'll prob get some mixed reviews here.

Personally I have been using Creatine Ethyl Ester for the last 5 weeks, yes I definitely have found I have had more strength and have seen some size gains. However I have also been eating a lot more calories and increased my protein intake so maybe its that?

Im taking nothing next week and then Im going to try Monohydrate after that to see if I notice a difference.

My advice would be to just life heavy, eat more protein and increase your calorie intake, if you feel you could do with an extra push try it out to see what you think.

Ive used both and the great news is after suffering the puke in a glass goodness of CEE I got mono and its tasteless. I read up a few things on CEE vs mono and there didnt seem to be as the theory of the CEE working faster with less of a loading period doesnt seem to hold up. The flip side of that is you wont notice any downside with the mono.
    Gonna hit the mono again in feb and hopefully the extra water will finally get me up to 15 stone!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 39,092 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

define natural, everything you eat thats in a packet isnt natural

Some subtances occur in nature
    Some subtances are only exist by being synthesized in a lab.

Creatine does occur naturally, in red meat for example.
    But the creatine you buy as a supplement is synthesized in a lab. Take from that what you want, it means nothing to me tbh.

Due to marketing and the media, being natural occuring is automaticly assumed to be positive. Which is not the case, some of the deadlyist subtances in the world are "natural"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

For me at least it doesnt work..save the money and buy some steak.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 mailliw

Creatine does work, but it's only really effective on a course. What it does-effectively, is draw water into the muscles cells, so it increases your strength. Once you stop taking it, however the water will be excreted, so if you don't keep up a regular training regime your muscles will just shrink! I wouldn't advise taking it for any longer than a month, even that is a bit long.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,078 ✭✭✭COH

mailliw wrote: »
    I wouldn't advise taking it for any longer than a month, even that is a bit long.

Why?

COH wrote: »
    Why?

Because the longer you take it, the more of your muscle becomes water, and the more work you'll have to do to retain the actual muscle tissue.

Because the longer you take it, the more of your muscle becomes water, and the more work you'll have to do to retain the actual muscle tissue.

So if i take it forever my muscle will become 100% water?

No, but you won't put on as much pure muscle as you would training without it.

• Advertisement

No, but you won't put on as much pure muscle as you would training without it.

Did bodybuilding.com tell you that too?

Whats pure muscle? Creatine makes fake muscle? I was under the impression that muscle tissue was muscle tissue. If creatine actually prevents you putting on 'pure muscle' then surely nobody should ever take it

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Crasp

Creatine does work, but it's only really effective on a course. What it does-effectively, is draw water into the muscles cells, so it increases your strength. Once you stop taking it, however the water will be excreted, so if you don't keep up a regular training regime your muscles will just shrink! I wouldn't advise taking it for any longer than a month, even that is a bit long.

That's not what creatine does. Creatine provides a source of phosphate for donation to AMP or ADP to make ATP, the energy molecule.

A side effect of it is that it increases muscle hydration and thus bulks muscle slightly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Oh for God's sake :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭gymsoldier

Mono all the way, CEE is just marketing hype. Make sure you fully disolve your CM in warm water, any particals will not be fully absorbed and will pass trough you.

Its hard not to get harsh when your posting ridiculas things like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

gymsoldier wrote: »
    Its hard not to get harsh when your posting ridiculas things like this.

It's not ridiculous. Creatine creates water bloat. Do not underestimate the strength gains from bloat. Increased "muscle mass" is not just about lean hard muscle. Taking on water increases the mass of the muscle therefore creatine guarantees increased muscle mass.

When the creatine goes away so does the water, so does the size, so does the mass, so does SOME of the strength. The remaining strength is the true gain. It's probably not as much as you hoped.

kevpants wrote: »
    It's not ridiculous. Creatine creates water bloat. Do not underestimate the strength gains from bloat. Increased "muscle mass" is not just about lean hard muscle. Taking on water increases the mass of the muscle therefore creatine guarantees increased muscle mass.

When the creatine goes away so does the water, so does the size, so does the mass, so does SOME of the strength. The remaining strength is the true gain. It's probably not as much as you hoped.

Your portraying creatine as a miracle supplement, your not gonna "bloat" up on creatine as if your on a cycle on methandrostenolone. What you've just said is that any gains in mass will dissapear if creatine is stopped, therefore what you're saying is that ill get stronger but stay the same size. Only one person has talked about how creatine affects creatine phosphate and ATP in the muscle. Alot of people think they know what they're talking about on here but have no knowledge or credentials backing up what they've said.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

The effect of short-term creatine loading on active range of movement.
    Sculthorpe N, Grace F, Jones P, Fletcher I.

School of Sports Sciences, University of Bedfordshire, Polhill Avenue, Bedford, MK41 9EA, UK. nick.sculthorpe@beds.ac.uk

Abstract
    During high-intensity exercise, intracellular creatine phosphate (PCr) is rapidly broken down to maintain adenosine triphosphate turnover. This has lead to the widespread use of creatine monohydrate as a nutritional ergogenic aid. However, the increase in intracellular PCr and the concomitant increase in intracellular water have not been investigated with regard to their effect on active range of movement (ROM). Forty male subjects (age, 24+/-3.2 years) underwent restricted randomization into 2 equal groups, either an intervention group (CS) or a control group (C). The CS group ingested 25 g.day(-1) of creatine monohydrate for 5 days, followed by 5 g.day(-1) for a further 3 days. Before (24 h before starting supplementation (PRE) and after (on the 8th day of supplementation (POST)) this loading phase, both groups underwent goniometry measurement of the shoulder, elbow, hip, and ankle. Data indicated significant reductions in active ROM in 3 movements: shoulder extension (57+/-11.3 degrees PRE vs. 48+/-11.2 degrees POST, p<0.01), shoulder abduction (183.4+/-6.8 degrees PRE vs. 180.3+/-5.1 degrees POST, p<0.05), and ankle dorsiflexion (14.2+/-4.7 degrees PRE vs. 12.1+/-6.4 degrees POST, p<0.01). There was also a significant increase in body mass for the CS group (83.6+/-6.2 kg vs. 85.2+/-6.3 kg, p<0.05). The results suggest that short-term supplementation with creatine monohydrate reduces the active ROM of shoulder extension and abduction and of ankle dorsiflexion. Although the mechanism for this is not fully understood, it may be related to the asymmetrical distribution of muscle mass around those joints.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20725117

Creatine makes you less flexible?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

Creatine makes you less flexible?
    I might have just dreamed this up, but I think there's another study that counters this. Anyone know if it exists?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

Im going to go look for studies to quote.

Your portraying creatine as a miracle supplement

What?

How am I saying it's a miracle supplement? I think it's a bit of a waste of time TBH. It doesn't need to be miraculous to make you bloat. I've gone up a notch on my lifting belt in 24hrs thanks to McDonalds bloat for god sake.
    your not gonna "bloat" up on creatine as if your on a cycle on methandrostenolone. What you've just said is that any gains in mass will dissapear if creatine is stopped, therefore what you're saying is that ill get stronger but stay the same size.

I've never actually been more misquoted in my life, I was referring to the mass associated with the water. That was the point of my post, water bloat is temporary but effective in making you bigger and stronger for that period. The remaining size and strength would be the net gain from Creatine. Actually it could be said it was the net gain from the training in that period also, another reason I doubt the effectiveness of it.

Why did you feel the need to drop "methandrostenolone" in there, what relevance is that? Menstruation and salt also bloat, going for a triple word score were we?
    Only one person has talked about how creatine affects creatine phosphate and ATP in the muscle. Alot of people think they know what they're talking about on here but have no knowledge or credentials backing up what they've said.

That's because no one cares. I personally don't give any credence to someone outlining a supplements effectiveness quoting the chemical reactions and changes it causes and the knock on effects. I have no knowledge or interest in biochemistry etc and as far as I'm concerned most of the evidence that gets spouted could actually be made up.

Since I'm not qualified to critique a chemical analysis of how these things work I'm not going to accept it as an explanation.

ATP in my muscles? How many extra kilograms on my squat is there in 42 ATP's?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Kev M

Oh well the probability of your current 20 rep max seeming perhaps marginally easier would be somewhat higher than without those 42 badboys however due to the million other factors to be taken into account this would be a pointless post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Kev M

Creatine mono is good stuff. There's no reason, in my slow mind, to ever come off it really... "But oh god the gains aren't real!!".. yeah well come off protein and them gains won't have been real either...

I have no knowledge or interest in biochemistry.

Since I'm not qualified to critique a chemical analysis of how these things work I'm not going to accept it as an explanation.

Point proven. Talk about something else you actually might know something about.

/thead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

whoops...

Point proven. Talk about something else you actually might know something about.

/thead

/thead.

Kinda spoiled your big exit there.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭dartstothesea

That's because no one cares. I personally don't give any credence to someone outlining a supplements effectiveness quoting the chemical reactions and changes it causes and the knock on effects. I have no knowledge or interest in biochemistry etc and as far as I'm concerned most of the evidence that gets spouted could actually be made up.
    "Personally. I have no interest. As far as I'm concerned".
    I think you'll find that it's this stuff right here^ that no-one cares about.
    wrote:
    You're admitting you haven't the mental faculties to understand the answer someone gave, so you're just refusing to entertain it? Really? No chance you would even try getting your head around it?
    wrote:
    How many extra kilograms on your squat are there in 42 waters? I know you're not necessarily even trying to advocate creatine's effects here or anything but, just for the sake of, you know, backing up what you're saying even a tiny bit: can you explain what the water stored in the muscle actually DOES to make one stronger? just because I don't understand it yet and am actually willing to consider explanations based on stuff I'm not already "qualified" on.
    As I understand it, size and strength are only interchangeable terms up to a point, like. Just saying water bloat makes you bigger doesn't actually necessarily make it evident why it makes you stronger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

I know you're not necessarily even trying to advocate creatine's effects here or anything but, just for the sake of, you know, backing up what you're saying even a tiny bit: can you explain what the water stored in the muscle actually DOES to make one stronger? just because I don't understand it yet and am actually willing to consider explanations based on stuff I'm not already "qualified" on.
    As I understand it, size and strength are only interchangeable terms up to a point, like. Just saying water bloat makes you bigger doesn't actually necessarily make it evident why it makes you stronger.

From what I gather of Kevpants post, he related leverage to cellular water retention. [Apologies if I've gotten that wrong!! Or misquoted you.]

For what it's worth, I don't believe you or gymsoldier understand how Creatine works on a cellular level either, so why are you calling him out?
    I think you'll find that it's this stuff right here^ that no-one cares about.

Kevpants has contributed more to this forum than most. From what he posts, I'd argue that he's at the higher end of the forums intellect too. So stop calling him out over retarded ****e like this, please.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Wow... haven't seen Kev called out before

*gets popcorn

Advertisement