Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy Type-0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,183 ✭✭✭✭noodler

God I left FF13 when I got to Pulse and have no real desire to go back to it.

Might force myself to see how that train wreck ends.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,179 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Urgh, more DLC. I like the idea of maybe having Sephiroth somewhere in the FFXIII battle system though.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,179 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Famitsu are actually open about this.

What? Seriously? It's a bit pointless in that case surely. Why would anyone rely on such a magazine?

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

What? Seriously? It's a bit pointless in that case surely. Why would anyone rely on such a magazine?

Yep they are, warning a huge podcast were talking about how silly it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

Very weird if that's the case. Maybe it's a cultural thing?

The Peacewalker situation a few years ago was such a farce.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There was a time when a Famitsu 40/40 meant something and only about 5 games had achieved it. Now they hand them out to anyone that wants a lot of advertising space :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

I heard before that they give out high scores for publishers big games with the understanding that they'll overlook the scores for less important games. I can't remember where I heard it though.

Mindkiller wrote: »

What's this?

H. H. Asquith

Mindkiller wrote: »
    Very weird if that's the case. Maybe it's a cultural thing?

What's this?

Would also like to know what the PW thing is about.

EDIT: Is it about the magazine actually appearing in the game?

Superb game anyway - well worth the score given.

Famitsu were heavily involved in cross-promotion for the game.

http://kotaku.com/5520937/do-not-trust-this-magazines-review-scores

Hirokazu Hamamura, the former Famitsu editor-in-chief, is the current president of Enterbrain, the company that publishes Famitsu. He also appears in an ad campaign for Peace Walker from the game's publisher, Konami. A two-page spread.

c748f30095a2e8256e9e985860f901a0.png

Seems like a definite conflict of interest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Ajfunky

Anyone else tried the demo for XIII-2 yet? Must say, i think its gonna clear up any of the problems people had with 13, hopefully the story lives up to it anyway. I actually really liked 13 as Ive said before, definitely one of my favourite battle systems in any Rpg ive played. Adding a full pokedex to it may only help!

Depending on how many monsters there is, trying to organize them all may be a bit of a workload - however I assume reports will come out about which are the key ones to develop or not. Wonder if there'll be a problem with getting too attached to the first monster you start developing a lá your first bulbasaur!

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Mario007

Ajfunky wrote: »
    Anyone else tried the demo for XIII-2 yet? Must say, i think its gonna clear up any of the problems people had with 13, hopefully the story lives up to it anyway. I actually really liked 13 as Ive said before, definitely one of my favourite battle systems in any Rpg ive played. Adding a full pokedex to it may only help!

Depending on how many monsters there is, trying to organize them all may be a bit of a workload - however I assume reports will come out about which are the key ones to develop or not. Wonder if there'll be a problem with getting too attached to the first monster you start developing a lá your first bulbasaur!

It's actually a little bit more like Digimon World with the mosters as you can merge them and the new born monster will inherit passive abilities that the other two monsters had. (i think)

IGN gave this an 8, once again bashing story. Damn, Toriyama seems to really be incompetent of writing anything by himself. Here's hoping his next project isn't FF 15 or the franchise is done for.

Mario007 wrote: »
    It's actually a little bit more like Digimon World with the mosters as you can merge them and the new born monster will inherit passive abilities that the other two monsters had. (i think)

Sounds Shin Megami Tensei like to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

Mario007 wrote: »

Are we talking about digimon world on the ps1? because you couldn't do anything like that.

Reviews uninspiring so far.

IGN 8

EG 8

CVG 7.7

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

i know i'm going to be so disappointed with this game. But the fanboy in me can't wait

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Aurongroove

I'm not going to be dissapointed because i'm not expecting it to be great.

I'm expecting it to be fun, shouldn't be disappointed.

H. H. Asquith

I'm expecting it to be fun, shouldn't be disappointed.

FFXIII was the furthest thing possible away from being fun!

That's your opinion. I loved it, and so did many others.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

That's your opinion. I loved it, and so did many others.

I know, and it breaks my heart because the game sold enough to produce another crap sequel with crap J-Pop music, awful characters, a world lacking in character and a complete lack of decent story-telling,

FFXIII was about as much fun as finding a thumbtack in your shoe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Better than not finding a thumbtack in your shoe

I'm not going anywhere near this game until the price drops.

noodler wrote: »
    I know, and it breaks my heart because the game sold enough to produce another crap sequel with crap J-Pop music, awful characters, a world lacking in character and a complete lack of decent story-telling,

To be fair, other FFs have been worse in these regards.

H. H. Asquith

I didn't find FFXIII that bad. It was flawed in lots of ways but I still enjoyed it. As long as they adressed some of those flaws I'm sure I'll enjoy XIII-2 even more. Don't care about the story. The story in FF games have been messes for over a decade. If it'sa mess and doesn't take itself seriously then all the better.

To be fair, other FFs have been worse in these regards.
    I didn't find FFXIII that bad. It was flawed in lots of ways but I still enjoyed it. As long as they adressed some of those flaws I'm sure I'll enjoy XIII-2 even more. Don't care about the story. The story in FF games have been messes for over a decade. If it'sa mess and doesn't take itself seriously then all the better.

I really don't agree. We can obviously agree that as a whole many of the FF stories don't gel that well but there are umpteen smaller scale examples of interesting events or sub-plots.

Brahne's invasion of Lindblum in FF9, the clash of the gardens in FF8 the Cloud flashback 'realisation' in FF7.

I admit I haven't finished 13 yet but there is absolutely nothing that in any way makes you care about the characters or the worlds.

I thought some of the characters grew nicely over the course of the game. It was a lot more subtle as well compared to previous games. I especially liked Vanille and Hope since they started as being awful and annoying but redeemed themselves in the end.

As for the world and story, I was initially very interested in it but it went downhill towards the end and that ending was terrible.

Story was definitely the weakest part of the game although I liked the characterisation other than Snow.

I really loved the battle mechanics though and they carried the game for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 b_mully

Final Fantasy was the series that originally got me hooked on gaming however I find the newer games unbearable the cheesy lines,the overly cartoonish character design, the linear gameplay. I don't know maybe the western rpg has just corrupted me

noodler wrote: »
    I admit I haven't finished 13 yet but there is absolutely nothing that in any way makes you care about the characters or the worlds.

I liked the way each character was obviously flawed as opposed to the usual bland heroism you'd see in earlier entries.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Mario007

I thought some of the characters grew nicely over the course of the game. It was a lot more subtle as well compared to previous games. I especially liked Vanille and Hope since they started as being awful and annoying but redeemed themselves in the end.

As for the world and story, I was initially very interested in it but it went downhill towards the end and that ending was terrible.

Story was definitely the weakest part of the game although I liked the characterisation other than Snow.

I really loved the battle mechanics though and they carried the game for me.
    I liked the way each character was obviously flawed as opposed to the usual bland heroism you'd see in earlier entries.

Exactly! If there is one thing that FF 13 did well it is the battle system and the character progression. Pretty much each character arc carries the story until you reach Gran Pulse and each character changes significantly in the process (maybe with the sole exception of Fang, but she's a pretty awesome character regardless).

I do agree though that showing some important info into datalog is not how SE should have tried and copied the 'codex'-like features of WRPGs like TES or Dragon Age.
    megaten wrote: »
    Are we talking about digimon world on the ps1? because you couldn't do anything like that.

I think it was digimon world, there you could train a digimon until level 13, then had to combine it with another one to get a different digiomon who could then be trained a bit higher. I know it's not exactly like the system in this game, but the combining of monsters reminded me of that.
    Sounds Shin Megami Tensei like to me.

Never played that game actually, which platform is out for?

Btw from what I've read the story is really not as serious as SE makes it out to be, more on par with RPG comedy of X-2, which is a good thing as you can forgive some of its cheesyness. For example check this scene out (no spoilers in it, I promise) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywMHnJJ-KpM...pretty hillarious.
    Also Noel seems to be a great character, actually making fun of other characters for being too dramatic and cheesy. He's a bit more of a light-hearted jerk, which is nice.

Lastly Lightning DLC (as a boss and recruitable) arrives February 7th http://andriasang.com/comzte/ffxiii2_lightning_amoda/ (it's a worldwide release). They're working on a scenario DLC now, from the indication it will be Lightning scenario and ending spoilers
    will explain the 'hidden trurht behind the games ending' meaning the 'to be continued' thing that pops at the end

Advertisement