Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy Type-0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Hardly a bad thing, it works brilliantly in Dragon Quest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

Monkeyto wrote: »
    Well I live in Japan, but yes, PS3 are region free :) Xbox games are generally region locked but not always.
    *cleans off mountain of dust*

It appears that I have a ps3....hmmmmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Hardly a bad thing, it works brilliantly in Dragon Quest.

Didnt say it was ^_^

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Mario007

ff 13-2 demo incoming on the 11th.

https://member.eu.square-enix.com/en/blogs/final-fantasy-xiii-2-demo-coming-x360-and-ps3

apparently the game wasn't doing too well in japan so i guess they'll try to persuade all the people on verge to buy the game with the demo

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It seems Tri-Ace are the developers behind FFXIII-2. I'm kind of getting the feeling that it will be really good. Fingers crossed.

• Advertisement

don't want to shoot down your hopes but they apparently only contributed to the development, i.e. SE needed more people to work on the game to finish it quickly and because everyone at 1stPD was busy they contracted Tri Ace. At least that's my understanding

it pains me to quote an Xbox mag in an FF thread but nonetheless the first official western ff 13-2 review is in the OXM US and the mag gives it a 9, saying virtually every complaint from the first game has been fixed. the downers are 'gimmicky' sequences (i think ff fans should know these very well) and framedrop issues (apparently, and this is my person opinion this is because of the want to make the ps3 and xbox 360 versions look the same as the first game experience similar problems on the xbox but ps3 version ran smoothly).

here's the link: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/331332/final-fantasy-xiii-2-review-it-repairs-almost-every-problem/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

After been badly let down by FF13 having paid full whack release week,Im going to wait for a few months and get it cheap as chips used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭_AVALANCHE_

After been badly let down by FF13 having paid full whack release week,Im going to wait for a few months and get it cheap as chips used.
    I'll usually wait a few months and get games cheap as chips new (well, in the €20-25 region), so the money goes where it belongs.

Does one need to have played 13 to play this one??

Gave up on the series after 12....

It takes place after FF13 so maybe but the story in FF13 really was a bit crap. I'd say you could get away with not having played it.

• Advertisement

Just skimmed the last few pages of this Thread, What is versus 13 and Type-0?? Are they coming out for the playstation?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

Was in gamestop today, asked about crystal, man said they weren't sure, so I left the shop anyway, 2 mins later one the staff members comes out and finds me, they rang up and ordered a copy for me :D

Just skimmed the last few pages of this Thread, What is versus 13 and Type-0?? Are they coming out for the playstation?
    Ok, Type 0 is PSP.

Versus is PS3
    Not a sequel nor a prequel to the popular series, Final Fantasy Versus XIII unfolds a wholly independent story in another part of the universe with different characters.
    No release date.

13-2 out Feb 3
    Three years after the events in FINAL FANTASY XIII, Lightning has gone missing, and Snow is nowhere to be found. In a rebuilding world, Serah notices that something is amiss. After a fortuitous encounter with a mysterious man named Noel, the two set off to find Lightning.
    I'll read detailed synopsis or something on part 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

The FFXIII-2 demo is supposed to be out today. I'm not at home, has anyone played it?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Mr. K wrote: »
    The FFXIII-2 demo is supposed to be out today. I'm not at home, has anyone played it?

Is out on US PSN - d/ling it now. 1800MB.
    Didn't spot it on the EU PSN.

Mr. K wrote: »
    spoilers

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/619315-final-fantasy-xiii-2/61615772

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,174 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It's not out on the EU. I just checked. I think it's out tomorrow.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

It's out now on both on Live and PSN. I like it, I'd forgotten how smooth the Paradigm system is! I also switched party leaders immediately, I'd prefer to look at Serah than Noel!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

I played it very briefly before going to bed last night. It's very much the same game, but with some added (welcome) features. The battle is near-identical to previously, with the addition of Monsters that you can receive as rewards after battling and use them to join your party as an additional member. It's not clear in the tutorial whether your party is going to be restriced to two people with a third slot held open for monster characters, or if they will act as a fourth member. If the monster is a fixed slot for your third party member I'll be pretty disappointed.

They also added quick-time events. Bleh.

Despite the fact that the game mechanics are largely similar (Crystarium points, paradigm shifts, etc. etc.) the world seems to be much better designed. You start off in a town, talk to NPCs, receive side-missions and enter a dungeon which has actual forks in the road and multiple paths to go down. Anyone who hasn't played FF13 will wonder why the hell that is of any importance, while anyone who has played FF13 will greatly welcome the change.

I did kind of hope it would be a little bit more different, it really does play as a direct continuation of the previous game (gameplay-wise, not story-wise) rather than a sequel or spin-off. While it seems to have fixed everything that was wrong with FF13, I'm still not completely sure if it is still fresh enough for me to be engaged throughout the whole game.

Still going to buy it though.

Yeah, I played the demo just there and I am quite impressed. It's the same demo as you have seen at e3 and other events with the lightning fight. Although the game visually and with the use.of the same menus looks like the original it is really vastly different.

First off the town area actually felt alive. You could talk to some people, while with others you come close to them and hear what they're saying to other people. Noel and serah also talk to each other, which is nice. I also like the addition of having people in the field with.monsters and them giving you quests for which you actually get crystogen points. The other thing I liked was the reaction of the people to either monsters or when I got mog to reveal a hidden treasure.

Crustarium is back but nicely changed with all the rroles lumped together. It gives you much more freedom and resembles the.sphere grid much closer. Paradigms and paradigm shifting works like in the original but you you can now set a style to.each paradigm which makes the AI smarter.

Battles are the same and thats a good thing. You can also switch your battle leader during the fight. They added a few qte but they are there for flashy scripted moves rather than actual fighting.

Lastly monsters work very well. I was a bit sceptical about them at first but there's a lot of depth in their usage and leveling.

Overall if I wasn't out of the country at the start.of.February this would have been day.one for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

The trailer at the end of the demo made the game look fantastic. It's basically a fixed version of 13 with some cool added features.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Aurongroove

it's doing to XIII what X2 did to X. Although I will say this time they did it a lot less awfully bad job (at least according to the demo).

I genuinely like how you can now make your team focus on groups, one at a time or according to their role (like in XIII) that was my biggest gripe about XIII, your team mates all seemed to be forced into a "one at a time" system which was the least effective at keeping multiple enemies chain gauges up.

I will definitely enjoy capturing and training monsters if the demo provided an accurate representation of the system, the feral synchronize is a little 'lame excuse-y' as are the QTE. Who really likes QTE? if anything they ruin your enjoyment of the action sequences, why not weave them at least partially into the sequence instead of slapping buttons all over carefully animated action sequences.
    the moogle-detectey thing is a little silly too, I mean, why not just put the treasure there? or will there be times the mog wont be around?

am i gonna buy it?: damn straight.

am i gonna enjoy playing it?: damn right I will

am I gonna get the platinum trophy and there's nothing Funky penguin can do about it?: yes unless he gets it too thus negating the 1 up

does it deserves it's 40/40 review from Famitsu?: don't make me laugh.

it's doing to XIII what X2 did to X. Although I will say this time they did it a lot less awfully bad job (at least according to the demo).

I genuinely like how you can now make your team focus on groups, one at a time or according to their role (like in XIII) that was my biggest gripe about XIII, your team mates all seemed to be forced into a "one at a time" system which was the least effective at keeping multiple enemies chain gauges up.

I will definitely enjoy capturing and training monsters if the demo provided an accurate representation of the system, the feral synchronize is a little 'lame excuse-y' as are the QTE. Who really likes QTE? if anything they ruin your enjoyment of the action sequences, why not weave them at least partially into the sequence instead of slapping buttons all over carefully animated action sequences.
    the moogle-detectey thing is a little silly too, I mean, why not just put the treasure there? or will there be times the mog wont be around?

am i gonna buy it?: damn straight.

am i gonna enjoy playing it?: damn right I will

am I gonna get the platinum trophy and there's nothing Funky penguin can do about it?: yes unless he gets it too thus negating the 1 up

does it deserves it's 40/40 review from Famitsu?: don't make me laugh.

if this thread wasn't concerned with Type-0 too I would say '/thread' after that comment.

just re QTE, Square seems to like including them into FF games, they've been getting bigger bigger since X. Apparently this time though you'll get a choice for an action in QTE, like press X for melee or O for ranged attack.

Btw RPGSite gives a very indepth review, very good read http://www.rpgsite.net/reviews/349-final-fantasy-xiii2-import-review

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Considering FFXIII got 39/40 from Famitsu, i wouldnt take the 40/40 too seriously.

Kiith wrote: »
    Considering FFXIII got 39/40 from Famitsu, i wouldnt take the 40/40 too seriously.

well if they wanted to say that the sequel is better than the original, which by all accounts it is, then they had to give it 40/40. I'd say well done to them for staying consistent :P

Here's a tip. Never take a Famitsu review score seriously. A publisher with a big enough property will buy a high score in famitsu with advertising. Famitsu are actually open about this.

Since we're on the subject of reviews, here's all the reviews so far (from big sites/magazine):

Famitsu 40/40 (but as Ret0 said you can disregard this one, pretty much)
    Dengeki Rating S (highest rating, I haven't seen the numbered scores at all, weirdly)
    GameInfromer 8
    RPGSite 8 (probably the best review if you're not sure what the game is or will turn out to be)
    OXM 9

So far the only complaint is the story, which being from from Toriyama you kinda have to expect. It may get an awesome localisation and thus be better in English but we'll see. Then again I enjoyed XIII's story apart from the WTF ending so this might be nice too.

The monster collecting thing sounds like SMT and Dragon Quest V and there for I was sold when they announced that :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,003 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Must download this :)

• Advertisement

Advertisement