Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Movies that make grown women cry...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Requiem For A Dream - more horrific than sad, but still so, so sad... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭cheesefiend

I Am Sam and A Beautiful Mind got me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Of those lavish old weepy melodramas - Imitation Of Life... :eek::(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭EverEvolving

Love Krudlers post about the Notebook formula, I remember reading a review of it saying it was like the director had tear gas emulating from the screen.

It got me anyway, my bf didn't know what was wrong with me, think it was the first time he had seen me cry!!

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭vicecreamsundae

Beaches

Steel Magnolias

Dumbo, oh my god, so much, when his mom has her trunk outside the bars of her cage and is rocking him in it :,(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭merlie

Apart from the one's that vicecreamsundae mentions, the other ones I find that make me cry are,

Now Voyager starring Bette Davis
    Forever Young starring Mel Gibson
    Somewhere in Time starring Christopher Reeve
    The Lake House starring Keanu Reeves
    Love Actually ( I won't be watching that one again as it caused me to say, to my new bf at the time,now my ex now, that I loved him and I blubbered down the phone to him!! Grr!!

and even though the whole movie doesn't make me cry, its the scene at the Christmas tree near the end in, Home Alone 2, Lost in New York, it makes me cry every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaliforniaDream

I cry at every remotely sad scene in a movie. I love animated (Disney/Pixar usually) movies - they always get me.

Movies that always make me cry are:
    The Lion King
    Up
    Braveheart
    Marley and me
    The Notebook.

I know The Notebook gets tossed out there a lot but it's so personal to me that I cannot help but bawl my eyes out. I can't watch this movie with anyone as I literally go into convulsions. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

American Beauty. I find myself over-empathising with Kevin Spacey's character throughout. It doesn't help when I come up against folks who just think he was a pervert. There be rows, there be.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

Casper, When Harry Met Sally, The Railway Children - they are the ones that come to mind straight away - am not great at the really tragic ones (avoid watching them in the first place) as I know that I will get too upset and do not like that in a movie as a rule.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

CathyMoran wrote: »
    Casper, When Harry Met Sally, The Railway Children - they are the ones that come to mind straight away - am not great at the really tragic ones (avoid watching them in the first place) as I know that I will get too upset and do not like that in a movie as a rule.

Do not, under any circumstances, watch the film I was talking about on the last page so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I seem to cry at almost anything. Silently, secretly so my wife won't slag me...

Up!
    Harry Potter (can't wait for Deathly Hallows part 2. Hell, I cried at the end of the book last week!)
    Toy Story 3
    Garage (with Pat Shortt, brilliant movie. Jeez, I'm even crying about it now...)

Emotional incontinence indeed...

Yep, Up and Toy story 3. Have seen Up three times and I have bawled every time. Like, seriously uncontrollably!

Beaches. The Green Mile. Shawshank Redemption. Crash. Miracle on 34th St. Song for a raggy boy, I was actually hysterical for ages after that one.

There are definitley others I can't think of right now....

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭mariebeth

Must watch UP soon...haven't seen it, but I haven't had a good cry during a film in awhile :)

I'm a sap, I'll cry at happy endings & I'll cry at sad endings.

Watched Secretariat last week and cried at the end because it was so happy :o

Other movies that make me cry:

Armageddon (even though I've seen it a gazillion times, I always cry)
    Titanic - not so much anymore but the first time I saw it I cried for about 20 minutes after the end
    Bambi
    White Fang
    Beauty & The Beast
    A Walk to Remember - oddly enough I've never cried during the Notebook, even though I love the story

Marley & Me
    PS I Love You (cried reading the book as well)

I'm sure there's loads more, but that's all I can think of right now!

I cry to everything, tbh... But I'll try to list some
    Black Beauty
    The Lion King
    UP
    Toy Story 3
    The Crow
    Pokemon 1, 5, 8 and 13
    Che
    And probably some others I can't remember right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭mollybird

off the top of my head there are only

notebook, marley and me, p.s i love you. sure there are more but just can't think of them right now,

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I must be hard as nails. :o I rarely cry at movies.

I did get a lump in my throat for Up.
    I found King Kong upsetting, but I think that's more frustration & outrage when I see cruelty to animals!
    I cried a little in the cinema for the first time in my life when I saw The Road. The bit where the father took all yer man's possessions after he stole from them.

I can't think of anything else!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭kiwi123

Up
    The Notebook
    My Sisters Keeper (although I know it sets out to make you sad which bothers me)
    Michael Collins
    I am Sam
    Into the Wild
    Toy Story 3
    Schindlers List (went to auschwitz and oscar schindlers factory with boyfriend and only saw the film after it - heartbreaking, couldn't watch the end of it)
    Titanic - found out my grandad was dying when i watched it over christmas four years ago, always get emotional when I watch it now.
    Also, I thought the wind that shakes the barley was super sad

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I cry at all those typical romance-y type movies so, The Notebook, Dear John, PS I Love You etc. I don't think I cry at the movie, more so the thought of anything like that ever happening to me...

Other than that, The Shawshank Redemption, The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas, a lot of movies based on sad true stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭neveah

Sad films make me cry easily but here are some that really had me bawling:

The Green Mile
    Titanic
    Romeo & Juliet
    E.T
    The Notebook
    The Lion King
    Bambi
    Braveheart
    Gladiator

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

kiwi123 wrote: »
    My Sisters Keeper (although I know it sets out to make you sad which bothers me)

Never saw the movie but I cried at the book.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Pan's Labyrinth <3 - blubbering in the cinema
    Of Mice And Men
    His & Hers
    Life Is Beautiful
    Boy's Don't Cry
    My Girl :o

A weird one is the Twin Peaks movie, it stayed with me for days afterwards. While the TV series was intentionally a bit of a soap opera-ish murder mystery, the movie was a lot more disturbing and basically depicts the week before the murder.
    After lifelong sexual abuse, it shows that while Laura Palmer didn't kill herself, she allowed herself to be murdered as she was in so much anguish and welcomed her death. Made me genuinely upset :(

Blue Velvet made me feel terrible too, curse you David Lynch :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Elle Collins

The battle scene near the beginning of Glaldiator. There is something about the way the camera slows down to show the scene in slow motion that really evokes the pointlessness of the misery humans inflict on each other. It made me cry my eyes out in the cinema, which was kind of embarassing considering everyone else saved their tears for the end, as people in cinemas usually do! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Elle Collins

Oh and Braveheart - some heavy-duty bawling done there too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

Bawled my eyes out at Romeo and Juliet but I was only about 13 when that came out.

Cried at the end of Donnie Darko the first three times I saw it.

The Elephant Man had me in bits.

Any time anyone in Grey's Anatomy gets married or dies or has a break-up I shed a few :o And don't start me on the effect Reeling In The Years has on me...

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

rain on wrote: »
    The Elephant Man had me in bits.

Great movie, love Anthony Hopkin's reaction to seeing Merrick for the first time, amazing acting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

The Way We Were. That and about half of those already mentioned :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

rain on wrote: »
    Any time anyone in Grey's Anatomy gets married or dies or has a break-up I shed a few :o And don't start me on the effect Reeling In The Years has on me...

What? Reeling in the years? How did you survive history class? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

krudler wrote: »
    Great movie, love Anthony Hopkin's reaction to seeing Merrick for the first time, amazing acting.

Won't spoil the end for anyone who hasn't seen it but I was inconsolable.. I was all "WHY.. WHYYYYYY" :pac:
    Malari wrote: »
    What? Reeling in the years? How did you survive history class? :D

If history class had had Italia 90 and IRA proxy bombings and the video for 'Nothing Compares 2 U' all hot on the heels of each other I'd most likely have been a wreck :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭ratmouse

Titanic-cried for ages in the cinema the first time I saw it.

My Sister's Keeper

Stand By Me

Veronica Guerin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Ramette

Gonna show my age now!

The Champ

Shane

Kramer Versus Kramer

E.T.

Advertisement