Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Movies that make grown women cry...

Options
  • 17-01-2011 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭

saw this in the Gentlemen's Club.........not sure if there's something similar here, but sure, thought it might bring up some fun suggestions!

one of my few, cos I'm tough like! is Fly Away Home (on TG4 at the weekend) - the scene when the geese just fly over when the Mary Chapin Carpenter song starts..........always gets me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCjlubLJcxk&feature=related

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

The Iron Giant -
    "Superman!"
    :(

Life is Beautiful

And not a movie but the ending of Six Feet Under had me with a lump in my throat.

Platoon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

- Marley and Me
    - P.S I love you
    - The Shawshank Redemption
    - Time Traveler's Wife

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭bigtuna

Juno and Beaches. Everytime!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Cinema Paradiso
    La Dolce Vita
    Wings of Desire
    It's a Wonderful Life

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭newbee22

My Girl
    The Notebook
    Armageden
    My Sisters Keeper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

Stepmom.....every time!

I put it on when I have blocked sinuses :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭unepetite

Harry Potter.

Yep. Doesn't take much to trigger my emotional incontinence.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I dont know a girl who made it through the beginning of Up without getting a bit teary eyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

The never ending story when the horse dies....seen the movie hundreds of times and know the horse is alive again at the end but it makes no difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Up gets me choked up, and most movies involving a dog that gets wounded or killed (Old Yeller, My Dog Skip, Turner and Hooch, I Am Legend :pac:, the lot of 'em). Ring of Bright Water gives me the ol' lump in the throat, too.

Cried at 5am after a loooong night out on various substances during the time of the month while watching Sigur Ros' Heima, does that count? :pac: In that state I was just shattered by the sheer beauty of it all. It was tears of happiness, or something, though not quite happiness.. not sure how to describe it at all. :confused: It just struck me, I suppose.

Sometimes a particularly realistic depiction of something heartfelt will choke me up, but for some reason I can't think of anything offhand.. I can think of a few TV shows that can get me choked up (Skins when Chris
    dies
    , a couple early episodes and the final episode of Scrubs, etc), but not films, oddly. But there are a few!

I tend to be pretty empathetic but only when it's realistic, I can't be empathetic towards anything overly saccharine or soppy or unrealistically romantic etc. Not sure why.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

UP
    Wall-E
    Toy Story 3
    All Dogs go to Heaven

Pretty much every animated movie, it would seem!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Mollikins

The Green Mile always makes me cry bucketloads.
    Especially when
    they are about to execute John Coffey and one of the guards is putting the hood over his head and he says to Tom Hanks’ character ‘Please boss, don’t put that thing over my face, don’t put me in the dark. I’s afraid of the dark’.
    There are other moments in the film that really get to me but that part always has me in tears. :(

Veronica Guerin made me cry loads when I saw it too. I suppose it because it’s a true story.

There are probably loads more but those two come to mind straightaway. I cry more at sad films than I do at sad real life stuff. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭wonderingabout

Marley & Me, Hachiko (A Dog's Story), Wall-E, & The Notebook.
    Im A Bit Of A Cry Baby, Doesn't Take Much To Set Me Off! Dog's Get Me Everytime Without Fail!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

Steel Magnolias and this is embarrassing...Moulin Rouge.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

A movie has never made me cry.

Music seems to evoke a lot more emotion in me. I'm not completely heartless!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Up!
    Toy Story 3
    there are others that I just cant think of right now.
    Veronica Guierin
    An Affair to Remember

wait they are coming back to me now

The first time I saw Moulin Rouge I balled

I would probably cry more after a tv show though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

krudler wrote: »
    I dont know a girl who made it through the beginning of Up without getting a bit teary eyed.

so true :( I cried for a lot of that film, anything in any way sad tends to make me cry, even tv shows, I went to see conviction yesterday and he ending made me cry, I came out looking like a panda

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

Forrest Gump - saw it as a teenager and thought it was hilarious - watch it now as an adult and I just bawl...........

so true :( I cried for a lot of that film, anything in any way sad tends to make me cry, even tv shows, I went to see conviction yesterday and he ending made me cry, I came out looking like a panda

That shot of him sitting on the church altar holding a single balloon made something appear in my eye...

krudler wrote: »
    That shot of him sitting on the church altar holding a single balloon made something appear in my eye...

The whole start was just brutal :( and then everytime he mentions her didnt help either! amazing film though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

The whole start was just brutal :( and then everytime he mentions her didnt help either! amazing film though

The soundtrack has a lot to answer for, too, everytime I hear the opening notes if it comes up in my playlist I get sad :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

Up... I haven't really watched it past the first twenty minutes, because the part where the elderly man kisses his wifes photo destroys me.

The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas...I feel emotionally exploited, and irritated that it works. The ending, although predictable, wrenches me.

The Wrestler... Mickey Rourkes abused face reflects his abused soul. Brilliant.

Brokeback Mountain...A story of thwarted love and lives half-lived, heartbreaking scenes at the end.

Million Dollar Baby...Clint Eastwood emotes from every crease in his lived-in face.

American History X... I love a tale of redemption.:)

A Beautiful Mind... sometimes its perfect to be imperfect.

Theres so many more I can't think of. I generally dislike those films that are designed to hit girl buttons, like The Notebook, as I feel behind the obvious manipulation they're pretty bad movies usually. God, I HATE Steel Magnolias!

liah wrote: »
    The soundtrack has a lot to answer for, too, everytime I hear the opening notes if it comes up in my playlist I get sad :(

Its for that reason I didnt put it on mine! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭desolate sun

I watched In America over Christmas and that film was so heart wrenching. I normally am OK with sad films but throughout most of it I had an awful lump in my throat. It's so sad

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I'm a total sap when it comes to movies.

The worst movie I've ever seen in terms of crying was I am Sam. I watched it with my sister and we both bawled from beginning to end. I've cried at almost everything though - and as someone who's not really a crier it shames me every time.

Theres so many more I can't think of. I generally dislike those films that are designed to hit girl buttons, like The Notebook, as I feel behind the obvious manipulation they're pretty bad movies usually. God, I HATE Steel Magnolias!

theres a formula for movies like The Notebook:

fu95x5.jpg

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Like others have said; the start of Up and the end of Toy Story 3.

Every year the bit about Tiny Tim and the ducks in the Muppet Christmas Carrol gets me. Even this year I said to myself here it comes now ha ha. Then wham I'm all teary. Damn you kermit and your line delivery! I always cry at the same two points in It's a Wonderful Life as well. Every year.

There was one film though that had me crying on and off for a week afterward and I defy anyone to get through it without at least misting up. It's Dear Zachary: A Letter to a Son about his Father. It's months since I watched it and it's still affecting me. It tore my heart out.

Toy Story 3 is a great example, the ending is brilliant, dont know how anyone couldnt be affected by that. "Thanks guys" indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

- Atonement
    - Brokeback Mountain

The latter had me in an awful state - couldn't leave the cinema for ages... :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭LambsEye

Atonement
    Love Actually
    Ghost
    Eat Pray Love (I'm not pride of this, but Billy Crudup does the heartbroken husband so damn well.)
    The Notebook (Natch,)
    The Green Mile
    Too many episodes of Buffy The Vampire Slayer to mention

But honestly I will cry at ANYTHING

As good as it Gets: "You make me want to be a better man." Ooof. Instant bawling.

Advertisement