Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conference Championship Game Day

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Crawl back under rocks? Why? Lost to a great Steelers team after two fantastic away results against Manning and Brady..... Im very proud to be a Jet, hard luck tonight, best of luck to Steelers and all that! But as ever haters gonna hate!!

Not talking about you. I mean anybody outside Staten Island who all of a sudden became a Jet's fan over the past two years. Also probably the biggest trash talkers ever, they only start talking football at the Playoffs. I was hoping the Jet's would do well for their die hard fans who really deserve something to cheer for.

But it's the trash talking from fans, players and Ryan that annoys me.

For the die hard fans, go jets. For the plastic jets, go die!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,866 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I will gladly bet €100 with you if you really believe that?
    Well I'll just wait for a new CBA to be agreed and then I'll take you on.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭henryhenry

When you don't win your division and you don't win the conference title do you still get a banner to hang?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

eagle eye wrote: »
    Jets notable FAs are Edwards, Cromartie, Holmes, Harris, Ellis and Smith. The 2010 draft doesn't look too good so far. They don't have a 2nd round pick in this year's draft. They had by far the most talented bunch of players. They were built for this year and blew it. They will be back to an 8-8 team or worse next season.

Holmes will get resigned i'd say, along with a couple more. Maybe let Cro walk. Id be highly surprised if they don't break 10 wins again next season

Btw, notable FAs this year:
    Deangelo Williams
    Nnamdi Asomugha
    Vincent Jackson
    Ray Edwards
    Sidney Rice

All would be interested if the jets came calling, they're not done. In fact, if they let Edwards walk for VJ it'd be an upgrade

spiralism wrote: »
    Holmes will get resigned i'd say, along with a couple more. Maybe let Cro walk. Id be highly surprised if they don't break 10 wins again next season

Btw, notable FAs this year:
    Deangelo Williams
    Nnamdi Asomugha
    Vincent Jackson
    Ray Edwards
    Sidney Rice

All would be interested if the jets came calling, they're not done. In fact, if they let Edwards walk for VJ it'd be an upgrade
    All those guys will be looking for long term contracts. When/If a new CBA is agreed they won't have the cap room to sign up those players. They just gave Revis a huge contract.
    The reason they were able to sign up all those players this year is that they were in the last year of their old contracts. There is no way they can have a team as talented next season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭JohnnyRyan99

Well I'll just wait for a new CBA to be agreed and then I'll take you on.

Ah right, so your earlier guarantee that they will go 8-8 or less is actually more a guess that they could go 8-8 or less assuming a very specific set of circumstances fall the way you're guessing.

Either that, or you're one of the very few who doesn't think we'll have football next year!

All those guys will be looking for long term contracts. When/If a new CBA is agreed they won't have the cap room to sign up those players. They just gave Revis a huge contract.
    The reason they were able to sign up all those players this year is that they were in the last year of their old contracts. There is no way they can have a team as talented next season.

I'm sure plenty of teams will have similar problems, they'll get around it id bet, either by letting a few dead weight contracts go or by weighting other contracts.

Ah right, so your earlier guarantee that they will go 8-8 or less is actually more a guess that they could go 8-8 or less assuming a very specific set of circumstances fall the way you're guessing.

Either that, or you're one of the very few who doesn't think we'll have football next year!
    I'll explain for you.

If there is no agreement and a lockout next year there will in all likleyhood still be football but without all the current players. It would be impossible to predict what would happen in a situation like that.

If a new CBA is in place then I will take you up on that bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

GO STEELERS!!!

/breathe out! :p

Fair play to the Jets for bringing it in the second half. Pittsburgh went asleep just like the Packers.

I'm sure plenty of teams will have similar problems, they'll get around it id bet, either by letting a few dead weight contracts go or by weighting other contracts.
    Huh? There is no way around it. If you have contracts you have to pay them and they count against your cap.

• Advertisement

Huh? There is no way around it. If you have contracts you have to pay them and they count against your cap.

Bonuses and incentives and the like... its what Al Davis has been doing for years to stay under it seeing how the Raiders throw money around all over the place

If a new CBA is in place then I will take you up on that bet.

Then we're agreed. My €100 says the Jets go 9-7 or more. Yours says they dont. No CBA = bet voided. Deal?

Then we're agreed. My €100 says the Jets go 9-7 or more. Yours says they dont. No CBA = bet voided. Deal?
    Actually I gotta have a look at odds for this before I commit. I'm not going to put on a bet at even money with you if you can be a position to lay it off and have a freebie.

Bonuses and incentives and the like... its what Al Davis has been doing for years to stay under it seeing how the Raiders throw money around all over the place
    There is a lot more to it than just that. They can only sign one player for each free agent that signs with another team. You just can't go out and sign everybody you want. And what you pay the new guy is related to what you were paying the player that left.

There are huge restrictions on it and the Jets are in a terrible place after taking a huge gamble this year.

:D

rex-ryan-slams-headset.avi.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

People here said that the special teams could be the difference and I think they were. The Green Bay punting was near perfect & Chicago's was far from perfect.
    It boxed the bears back in their territory giving the Packers 'D' a better chance of containing them.

In fact I would go so far as to consider punter Tim Masthay as todays MVP

Yes, totally agree. He was fantastic today, a big part of our victory comes from his kicking. Great stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Probably late to the party but...

229830185.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=0ZRYP5X5F6FSMBCCSE82&Expires=1295870049&Signature=eG6MT3tSxCQVCQZjh39I1d4C7c0%3D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Actually I gotta have a look at odds for this before I commit. I'm not going to put on a bet at even money with you if you can be a position to lay it off and have a freebie.

From what I saw you already committed. Pretty weak of you to back out of it by editing your post.

Of course we all know your "Jets will go 8-8" was just a soundbyte to rub it in on a sore night for fans. You don't actually believe it, and welching out of this bet just proves it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

A rule question on the Mark Sanchez fumble.

When Sanchez gets hit, he fumbles to ball, Steelers recovers it and scores a TD.

There was debate wether his arm was going forward or not, its was ruled that there wasnt enough evidence to overturn it.

What i dont get is, even if it was ruled a pass, the ball clearly goes backwards so its a lateral so its a fumble anyway. Nobody mentioned this either the ref or the commentators, is there something i'm missing here? or is it not a lateral?

Hazys wrote: »
    What i dont get is, even if it was ruled a pass, the ball clearly goes backwards so its a lateral so its a fumble anyway. Nobody mentioned this either the ref or the commentators, is there something i'm missing here? or is it not a lateral?

I could be wrong, but I think that because it was the tackle that caused the "pass" to go backwards, and it wasn't just a poor or misplaced pass from Sanchez, then it's seen as an incomplete pass rather than a backwards pass fumble.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Tom_Brady wrote: »
    I could be wrong, but I think that because it was the tackle that caused the "pass" to go backwards, and it wasn't just a poor or misplaced pass from Sanchez, then it's seen as an incomplete pass rather than a backwards pass fumble.

That raises a good point.

I dont think if the tackle (aka player hits the QB without touching the ball and spins him so the ball go backwards) causes the ball to go backwards it is not a lateral...just because its wasnt the intention of the QB, i think its still a lateral then.

Although saying that, looking at the video again Taylor's helmet clearly hits the ball as Sanchez is winding up, so i think if Sanchez's arm was going forward, Taylor touches the ball "causing" it to go backwards and it goes backward, i think its considered an imcomplete pass then.

But i dont think the commentators were aware that the ball went backwards anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

You're back-tracking faster than a man in a Porshe with the steering wheel at the back window.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,215 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Sean_Cropped_bigger.jpg
    skjensen
    Sean Jensen I'm told Cutler has an MCL tear, and they are determining grade. 15 minutes ago via TweetDeck Retweeted by 88 people.

You're back-tracking faster than a man in a Porshe with the steering wheel at the back window.
    I'm not backtracking at all. I'm just not putting on a bet at evens if I can get a better price on it.

I'm not backtracking at all. I'm just not putting on a bet at evens if I can get a better price on it.

Sure if you're so sure of it happening like you say you are, what difference does it make how much you put up? They'll most super duper definitely guarantee for surest finish 8-8 or less, so you can only profit in this situation!

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    Sean_Cropped_bigger.jpg
    skjensen
    Sean Jensen I'm told Cutler has an MCL tear, and they are determining grade. 15 minutes ago via TweetDeck Retweeted by 88 people.

Lovie Smith then said it was a sprain afterwards, its on the NFL site.. just out of interest, does that effect your opinion on whether or not he quit yesterday?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,215 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Lovie Smith then said it was a sprain afterwards, its on the NFL site.. just out of interest, does that effect your opinion on whether or not he quit yesterday?

It wouldn't effect my opinion because I already said he didn't quit because of injury.

Tom_Brady wrote: »
    Pretty weak of you to back out of it by editing your post.

This!

Pretty low i thought!

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭spillit67

Sprain = Tear. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭minty16

Re-Sanchez pass
    This is ruled a fumble ONLY because it hits the Pittsburgh defender, If the defender does not touch the ball (slightly), causing it to go backwards and interrupt Sanchez motion, then it would almost certainly be ruled an incompletion.

Re-Aaron Rodgers
    I have finally come to terms with the fact that this guy is better than I thought he was. His flair has always been there, but his determination, will to win, and most of all BOTTLE, has been proved in the last couple of weeks. Even if he makes a hash of the Superbowl he has done enough in these playoffs to prove that he is an elite QB and a potential Hall of Famer in the making.

Re-February 6
    I am taking the Pittsburgh Steelers by 3. The Pack is a 2 point fav and IMO this is not correct. No matter how good they have been, I am taking Big Ben in the Bowl every single day. People might say they have NEARLY folded in the last two games but Nearly never won a race. The Arizona Cardinals deserved to win Superbowl 43 but they didnt, Why? Because The Steelers can get it done better than anyone else in the business. Especially on the big stage.

Advertisement