Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conference Championship Game Day

Options
  • 17-01-2011 2:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭

160px-Afc_championship_logo.svg.png
    AFC Championship Game

135px-New_York_Jets_helmet_rightface.png135px-Pittsburgh_Steelers_helmet_rightface.png
    New York Jets @ Pittsburgh Steelers
    Sunday 23rd January
    6:30pm ET / 11:30pm Irish Time
    Sky Sports / Streams

3_col_defense_110116.jpg

160px-Nfc_championship_logo.svg.png
    NFC Championship Game

135px-Green_Bay_Packers_helmet_rightface.svg.png135px-Chicago_Bears_helmet_rightface.png
    Green Bay Packers @ Chicago Bears
    Sunday 23rd January
    3:00pm ET / 8:00pm Irish Time
    Sky Sports / Streams

A little early for this thread? Yes, but I'm a bitter bastard, so rather than be happy for you fans of the above teams, I'm starting this thread now to remind you that you have a whole 7 days to wait. That's 148 hours. That'll be an agonizing wait. Just think how long that will be.....

....and be grateful. I have to wait 8 months :(

:pac:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Ravens would have hosted the AFC game with tonights result but alas, that's all history now :(
    Before they threw the divisional game away!!

My pre season pick was a Ravens Packers Superbowl so I'm cheering on the Packers

Steelers and Packers to advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Opening lines are pretty much as expected, Steelers -3 and Packers -3.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭Lirange

I'll put my lot in with the Steelers and Bears. Black and Blue.

Packers are a team that relies on speed. They'll be going from the turf in Georgia to the dreaded tractionless Soldier field. Bears match up much better against GB than the Eagles or Falcons. Steelers have the experience and the three consecutive weeks of play will take it's toll on the Jets and Packers. Whereas neither the Bears or Steelers will be rusty or tired.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Took the Jets and Packers @12/1 before the season started so I'll be cheering both of them on next week. Prefer the Packers to win it.

Anyone but the Steelers though really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Steelers need to do some amount of work on the O line if they're going to advance. Big Ben was badly exposed all night on Saturday and from both sides too. Suggs coming in from their left was the biggest threat but he was under pressure on both sides.

Jets will be able to put similar pressure on, but hopefully Ben will be able to deal with it.

On the D side, Steelers had a good game bar one long drive that the Ravens put in in the 2nd quarter (it's all a bit hazy now...) so provided Polomalu doesn't go all spectacular again, it may well be the D that wins it for Pittsburgh.

Personally, I've always liked Green Bay in the NFC. I like their history and the way they play football.

So my prediction is all heart: Steelers and Packers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Come on Packers this is our year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

If the Jets play like last night, I can't see how the Steelers have a chance.

Say what you like about sanchez too, he did the job last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭davetherave

I'm going with the Bears by 3 and the Steelers by a handful.

On an interesting and meaningless statistic, if I've read things correctly this will only be the sixth time that a conference game (post-merger) has been contested by two teams from the same division in the NFC. I think I got six counts for the AFC as well, but nobody cares about them :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Does anyone else think that the Jets have already played their Super Bowl against the Pats? Can they keep that consistency against the Steelers?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Stev_o wrote: »
    Does anyone else think that the Jets have already played their Super Bowl against the Pats? Can they keep that consistency against the Steelers?

Look at the success that this team has had under Rex Ryan in the post season. Last season they defeated the Bengals on the road in the wild card round. The Bengals were a pretty good team, especially at home last year. In the divisional round they went to San Diego and won. People will always downplay the Chargers but they were a number 2 seed and had won 13 games. In the Conference Championship they were beaten by 14-2 Indianapolis after Indy dominated the second half.

This year the Jets have beaten the Colts and Patriots back to back. The Colts may be struggling this year but playing Manning and Brady back to back and winning is a great feat.

People can say what they want about Ryan but its clear that his constant talk in the media is a tactic to deflect attention away from his players on onto him. Before games he gets his players ready and relaxed and able to play at a very high level. The Jets may not be the best team in the AFC but they are a team that Ryan has peaking at the right time. The Steelers can take nothing for granted on Sunday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭jman0war

Can't really see how anyone would take anybody over the Packers right now.
    They are just playing too hot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Ryan trying to deflect media attention from his players (IF that's what he was trying to do) kinda backfires when you have one of his leaders on the field calling Brady a "dick" and bringing the focus right back on the team.

I agree though that the Steelers can take nothing for granted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Jets
    Packers

Steelers
    Packers (to win).

Was really hoping for the Pats so it'd be a repeat of 96.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Would be amazing if both 6 seeds made the Superbowl.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Bears
    Jets (Hopefully)

Mendenhall ran for 99 yds against us last time.
    Don't want that happening again.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Flattery

jman0war wrote: »
    Steelers
    Packers (to win).

Was really hoping for the Pats so it'd be a repeat of 96.

Was really hoping for the Pats so it'd be a repeat of 85.

Bears to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Think a Steelers and Packers super bowl would provide a better more exciting contest so ill go for them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

I fancy Jets - Packers Superbowl. Should be a good Sunday evenings viewing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

Interesting that the four teams left have the four best Defences in the NFL. Can't remember a more unpredictable pair of Conference Championship games, wouldn't be surprised with any combination of results.

I want the road teams to win, but I suspect the home teams have an edge. I agree with previous poster, the Bears match up well against the Packers, and they know how to play them.

Steelers v Bears in the superbowl. Would hate it to happen as I dislike them both equally, but suspect that is what will result.

• Advertisement

fisgon wrote: »
    Interesting that the four teams left have the four best Defences in the NFL.

Where do you get that from?

The leading defences in total yards are 1. Chargers, 2. Steelers, 3. Jets and 4. Saints.

The leading defences in total points are 1. Steelers, 2. Packers, 3. Ravens and 4. Bears.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

Tom_Brady wrote: »
    Where do you get that from?

The leading defences in total yards are 1. Chargers, 2. Steelers, 3. Jets and 4. Saints.

The leading defences in total points are 1. Steelers, 2. Packers, 3. Ravens and 4. Bears.

Not sure what point you're trying to make here, in fact I think you have just proved mine with your stats. There is no one measurement of what constitutes the best D, and so, you take into account all of the rankings and make a judgement call.

Who of the highlighted teams would you put above the four remaining? The Chargers? So good they barely had a winning season and missed out on the playoffs, losing to the Raiders twice. The Saints? Who just gave up 41 to the mediocre Seahawks. The Ravens are, of course, a quality D, but they have a weakness in the secondary that was exposed on that 3rd and 18 play they let the Steelers convert. They are ageing and are not what they were.

I stand by my assertion, the four best Ds in the NFL are the four teams left in the competition.

fisgon wrote: »
    Not sure what point you're trying to make here, in fact I think you have just proved mine with your stats. There is no one measurement of what constitutes the best D, and so, you take into account all of the rankings and make a judgement call.

Who of the highlighted teams would you put above the four remaining? The Chargers? So good they barely had a winning season and missed out on the playoffs, losing to the Raiders twice. The Saints? Who just gave up 41 to the mediocre Seahawks. The Ravens are, of course, a quality D, but they have a weakness in the secondary that was exposed on that 3rd and 18 play they let the Steelers convert. They are ageing and are not what they were.

I stand by my assertion, the four best Ds in the NFL are the four teams left in the competition.

I just thought you meant statistically they were the four best. Didn't know you meant in your opinion. The former is incorrect, the latter is neither correct nor incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Screaminmidget

Jets - Packers, i hope. Although Jets will have a tough match, playing away. This will be there 5th match in the last 6 games on the road(i think)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,132 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Tom_Brady wrote: »

Some say this is the only measure.

Jets are #6. So the last four are ranked 1,2,4 and 6.

where is a good place to watch the game(s)?
    Portobello?

Not the Woolshed tho, hate that place.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Well anywhere with sky will have the first game (starts around 8 I think). Just need to find a place that will turn on the sound. I've found they are reluctant to do this in the portabello.

I was in there once and the guys at the bar wanted it turned off even though they had nothing else they wanted to watch.

I guess the sport itself offended them.

McSorleys could be good as they have loads of TV's and are usually open late. (probalby no sound there either.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭cosatron

packers- steelers.
    Packers gave away 18 penalties against the bears in solder field lose and still only lost by 3. If we bring pressure on cultlar he will get erratic and start spraying the ball all over the place.
    steelers.
    i couldn't believe they turned around and beat the ravens. it was a remarkable performance by big ben in the second half considering he had no run game and got sacked 5 times and i say his still having nightmares about suggs, i think that will bring them on.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭minty16

We will see why Cutler is a winner and Rogers is only a sunshine QB on Sunday. Bears by 7.

The Jets-Steelers is going to OT. Coin Flip. Steelers in OT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭cosatron

amazing to say that rodgers is a sunshine QB when he plays at lambeau field.

Advertisement