Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conference Championship Game Day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭minty16

cosatron wrote: »
    amazing to say that rodgers is a sunshine QB when he plays at lambeau field.

I didn't realise this was an mb where you had to clarify when you're metaphorically speaking.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

minty16 wrote: »
    I didn't realise this was an mb where you had to clarify when you're metaphorically speaking.

In what sense is a he a sunshine QB?

I'd take him over cutler any day of the week.

(Not a packers fan by the way)

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭minty16

I'm not saying that I wouldn't either. I just think he will bottle it when it comes down to the huge occasions. I've said this about him for a couple of years as I've seen him make so many bad decisions. However he came very close to changing my opinion the other night with a near perfect performance. Cutler on the other hand strikes me as more fired up, and more of a winner. For me he has more fight in him. I'm expecting a big performance from Cutler on Sunday and I know many people are not. I don't support either of the teams and if anything have a slight dislike for the Bears as they crumbled many a bet for me this year,

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

There's obviously muchm ore to the game on Sunday than how the 2 QB's perform but I would have thought that Cutler would be more likely to make mistakes as he has a history of throwing a lot of picks.

Seems to have improved a lot this year but hasn't really been under the pressure he will be on Sunday.

Rodgers and Green bay have now won 3 'must win' games on the bounce

I expect a close game but if pushed I'd put my money on Green bay coming through.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭jman0war

adrian522 wrote: »
    Well anywhere with sky will have the first game (starts around 8 I think). Just need to find a place that will turn on the sound. I've found they are reluctant to do this in the portabello.

I was in there once and the guys at the bar wanted it turned off even though they had nothing else they wanted to watch.

I guess the sport itself offended them.

McSorleys could be good as they have loads of TV's and are usually open late. (probalby no sound there either.)

What about a place called Camden something, like Camden Hotel or something?
    Ever heard of it?
    Friend of a friend was suggesting it but i didn't get the full name.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I know the place but never went in there, its down beside the bleeding horse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Both games are very hard to call.

Though the Pack are possibly a more complete team, I think homefield advantage, a choppier pitch & a better rested Bears team will see Chicago through.

I have a sneaking suspicion the Jets will come through against the Steelers.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

Steelers-Packers for me.Im a die hard Steelers fan and so i have to ask why do people dislike the Steelers so much?:).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,156 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Packers @ Bears: Packers' O to hard to stop; Packers' D can frustrate Cutler and shut down Forte; Packers' ST and Hester? Well 2 out of 3 ain't bad. Should be enough to see the Packers through. Packers by 7 or less.

Jets @ Steelers: Big Ben always rises to the occasion, but the Jets' D is playing superbly. Jets need another great game from Sanchez and the ground game. Maybe the much-maligned Folk can Nick it at the death (maybe OT). Jets by 3 (in OT).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Aiel wrote: »
    Steelers-Packers for me.Im a die hard Steelers fan and so i have to ask why do people dislike the Steelers so much?:).

The same reason any successful team is popular. Spoilt fans and bandwagoners. Seriously, the steelers rarely ever have bad years, 9-7 and no playoffs is near end of the world with them

I see the other side of it as a Man United fan, if you support a successful team, expect a bit of heat for it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Packers and Jets to go through for me.

Jets may have a bit of a hangover after last weekend. There was a bit TOO much celebrating, as if that was their SuperBowl. "Biggest game since SuperBowl 3" and all that Boll0x talk. but if the D plays like it did last week, they won't lose.

I think Green Bay are starting to look very strong, and I'm still not entirely sure about Chicago. Beaten badly by the Pats, and again by GB in soldier field.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Steelers Packers for me.

It will be close in Chicago but you cant bet Jay Cutler over Aaron Rodgers!

In the night game, much as I like Rex Ryan, I just cant see the Jets beating the Steelers.

I've said it through the year that Ryan may not be a coach to everyone's taste but he is certainly a great coach. He has his players motivated and playing great football...but I just cant see how the Jets can beat Manning, Brady and Roethlisberger on consecutive weeks. It's too big an ask when you consider the defence that the Steelers will field.

They will force Mark Sanchez to win the game by shutting down the run and as good as Sanchez has shown himself to be in both post seasons of his career he won't out quarterback Roethlisberger. Ben may make a lot of questionable calls off the field but his success on it makes him one of the top qbs of the last 20 years. He has led teams to Superbowls and has the experience that Sanchez doesn't have.

It'll be close but Steelers to win and set up a great clash of storied franchises!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,750 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Jets

Packers for me

3-5 in the playoffs so.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,957 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Bears are not often beat in Soldier Field in big games. As good as the Packers have looked in recent weeks this game will be tough for them. I think its very hard to call and will go right to the wire.

Sanchez is not good enough to beat the Steelers when it matters. I don't care what anybody says about the Jets, their biggest weakness is their QB imo.

I'll go Bears and Steelers. The same old thing has come to the fore again this year and thats that defense wins championships. These four teams have the four best Ds in my estimation anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭bobby wade

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Packers @ Bears: Packers' O to hard to stop; Packers' D can frustrate Cutler and shut down Forte; Packers' ST and Hester? Well 2 out of 3 ain't bad. Should be enough to see the Packers through. Packers by 7 or less.

QUOTE]

Game 1 the Pack D held Forte but he only had 12 carries as Martz went passy happy & the O-line was truly horrible then

Game 2 Forte had 91 yards rushing & 60 receiving

i don't see them holding Forte at all he has played very well the last few weeks

I agree with Bear's running game being a problem.

But if the Packers get their passing game going then the Bears will only be bringing a knife to a gun fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

This match is going to be sweet! Can't wait to see the intensity between the Packers and Bears. Hopefully we can stick it to the Bears and set our sights on Dallas!

yeah i can't wait.

Comparing recent form:

Bears last 6 games:
    Won Lions away
    Got crushed by Pats at home
    Crushed Vikings away
    Won over Jets at home
    Lost a close one at Packers away
    Crushed Seahawks at home

Packers last 6 games
    Lost a close one at Lions
    Lost a close one at Pats
    Crushed Giants at home
    Won a close one over Bears at home
    Won over Eagles away
    Crushed Falcons away

I think the Packers show more consistent results.
    What happened to Bears when the Pats played them? It was in Soldier Field and weather was cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭MeteoritesEire

looking forward to both games---Bears -Packers is such a classic rivalry I expect that to be hard hitting.Bookies have the packers at 1/2 and Bears at 5/3

Jets are 8/5 and Steelers 10/19

I'm gonna throw a few € on the 2 underdogs and enjoy the shows

• Registered Users Posts: 16,156 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

bobby wade wrote: »

Game 1 the Pack D held Forte but he only had 12 carries as Martz went passy happy & the O-line was truly horrible then

Game 2 Forte had 91 yards rushing & 60 receiving

i don't see them holding Forte at all he has played very well the last few weeks

Game 1: 23 carries for 110 yds and 1 TD. Result: Loss

Game 2: 10 carries for 39 yds and 1 TD. Result: Huge win.

Nobody thought the Pack would stop Michael Turner either. They didn't just stop him; they took Atlanta's entire running game away by keeping the ball from them for 38 minutes and scoring on every possession while it mattered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

looking forward to both games---Bears -Packers is such a classic rivalry I expect that to be hard hitting.Bookies have the packers at 1/2 and Bears at 5/3

Jets are 8/5 and Steelers 10/19

I'm gonna throw a few € on the 2 underdogs and enjoy the shows

Horrible odds. I can't understand why people don't use Betfair, especially if they're going to back in a 2 horse race like these. If they could sort out a way to place doubles, trebles, accums etc I could see conventional bookies dying out altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Nice to see you lost that horrendous sig ^^

Careful making those bets ;)

Yep, had it gone about half way through the 4th quarter the last day!

Ah no, i'm only sorry the Vikings dont have a Pats game next year for me to get my own back :)

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭MeteoritesEire

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Horrible odds. I can't understand why people don't use Betfair, especially if they're going to back in a 2 horse race like these. If they could sort out a way to place doubles, trebles, accums etc I could see conventional bookies dying out altogether.

I thought the odds were ok.These are off paddypower online btw.Checked betfair there and the odds are better ,I think.I've never used betfair with their back/lay system but have heard people talking about it.Think I'll take a closer look --thanks

If you put on say a €10 double on the 2 outsiders and they win you will get back just under €70. If you put it on with betfair you get back just under €80. Mightn't seem like much but its a 15% increase.

It's generally the same with horse racing, soccer markets etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭TheHeadhunter

My money is on the Jets and Packers in the Superbowl.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

I'm obviously hopelessly biased but do think Packers are the favourites, slight favourites mind you and fully expect it to finish up less than 1 score seperating the teams.
    I think our D is as good as the Bears. Our offence is far superior while our special teams is far inferior in that we are pretty bad and the Bears are pretty damn good.
    We need to stop Hestor and hope Mason doesn't bottle it.
    I'm going predict Packers by 5 with final play Cutler interception to Tramon Williams.

No opinion on AFC game as not seen either team play in ages. Jets Packers superbowl would be good though, winners of first 3 superbowls facing off. Pretty epic.

Anyone know if the woolshed will stay open for the duration tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭ucd.1985

Anyone have a nfl network stream please that they could pm for pre game day.

The justin.tv one is very poor despite being on a 15mb line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭49ers fan

Beer, Check...Pizza, Check....aint leaving this couch till 3.30 in the AM....:D

Packers
    Steelers

Advertisement