Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New England Patriots thread (MOD WARNING - #4503)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

eagle eye wrote: »
    I don't think he will walk with Brady and theres something telling me that he thinks he already has Brady's replacement in Ryan Mallett.

I wasn't really serious about him leaving with Brady to be honest. Mallett is the undoubted successor to Brady in the current line up. Bill will more than likely guide Mallet for 1-2 seasons before then stepping down imo. Then again it could depend on how Bill feels McDaniels has progressed since his return. So will Mallett-Daniels launch a new Brady-Belichick style dynasty era in 3-4 years time?

Strangely enough, McDaniels and Belichick's careers have followed very similar paths. McDaniels was a talented coordinator for a winning team. - so was Belichick. McDaniels had a disastrous first run as a head coach - so did Belichick. Like Belichick, McDaniels found salvation in his former mentor and like Belichick, he is now ready for redemption.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

eagle eye wrote: »
    I don't think he will walk with Brady and theres something telling me that he thinks he already has Brady's replacement in Ryan Mallett.

In that case, he needs, once again, to create one of the best D's in the league, as Brady had for his first few years. As it stands, no way can Mallett slip into Brady's shoes. They need to be predominantly a Defensive team when Brady leaves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

I don't see Mallett as Brady's successor simply because I don't see him sticking around long enough. Brady had another 3 years in him at least, I don't see Mallett waiting nor do I see us not being offered something for him in that period.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,716 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Well I'm just looking at the moves that were made this offseason. All these receivers that have been brought in suggest to me that we are near a last hurrah for Brady and they want to get him one more ring. No.12 has only two years left on his contract now and I don't think he will be with the Patriots after that whether he retires or goes off to some other team for a year. The Patriots FO is set up to make these hard decisions with the long term future of the team in mind as has been the case since BB arrived here. You only have to look at Richard Seymour for a prime example of that.

Also the interest being shown the by the Patriots in Joe Adams who was Mallett's go to guy with the Razorbacks is another hint. Thats if we draft him.

I don't see Mallett as Brady's successor simply because I don't see him sticking around long enough. Brady had another 3 years in him at least, I don't see Mallett waiting nor do I see us not being offered something for him in that period.

I don't share you negativity on this issue, becasue I look at Mallett who is now 23 and who will be 26 when he takes over as the Franchise QB. On top of that, he has the luxury of having three years to master the most complex offensive playbook in the NFL. Finally, he will/is being mentored by one of the greatest, Tom Brady himself. So will he be stupid enough to walk away from a great franchise and a great mentor? Maybe he is, but I suspect he won't be. Last January, Brady moved into his new $20 million dollar pad he built in LA. I think he will retire in 2015 when his contract is up. So Mallett would be an idiot to let this oppoutunity go imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

What have people seen from Mallett that has everyone so confident that he will simply replace Brady no problems.

Also is Brian Hoyer currently not No.2 on their depth chart? :confused:

HigginsJ wrote: »
    What have people seen from Mallett that has everyone so confident that he will simply replace Brady no problems.

Hoyer was a restricted free agent this year, he was tendered as a second rounder and has signed it meaning he stays for one more year and is then a ufa. I think the Patriots fancied they could get something for him but they were willing to let him go for a second round draft pick. If they wanted to keep him they could have gotten a deal done with plenty of incentives should he become a starter in future years but they are just leaving him with the tender contract for the year.

We didn't see anything from Mallett but the vibes are very good and the other stuff I posted above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

On a mobile so wont quote. Agree with EE that Brady wont resign in 2 years. He'll be Manning's age without (presumably) having missed a season with a big injury. That'll be a helluva free agency.

HigginsJ wrote: »

Hoyer will also be nearing 30 if Brady retires at the end of his contract. And that's not really an ideal age to become a franchise QB. Mallett is a natural pocket passer with amazing arm strength. He often needs to reign this natural arm strength in, but if he doesn't it can interfere with his sweet throwing action.

He posses excellent throwing accuracy. He has a lovely quick, fluid throwing action when he releases for the pass. Combining this with his throwing speed, height of release and defenses hate him. When pushed from the pocket, he's excellent at passing accurately while on the run. He's good on play action, sells the run and hides the ball very well.

He won't be a serious scrambling threat for gaining extra yardage. But he is cool in the pocket under pressure and evades the pass rush calmly, while maintain good down field focus. He doesn't get flustered by pressure and has no problem taking an impending big hit, if it means getting the accurate pass away.

So these are my reasons for being excited about Mallett. He undoubtedly has the tools and the talent, so if he keeps focused and learns from the master. Then I will have every confidence in him taking the reigns in a couple of years. It will be really interesting to see how his preseason goes.

* * 2012 Patriots Regular Season Schedule * *

Sunday, Sept. 9..........at Tennessee

Sunday, Sept. 16........Arizona

Sunday, Sept. 23........at Baltimore

Sunday, Sept. 30........at Buffalo

Sunday, Oct. 7............Denver

Sunday, Oct. 14.........at Seattle

Sunday, Oct. 21..........New York Jets

Sunday, Oct. 28.........at St. Louis (London)

Sunday, Nov. 4............BYE WEEK

Sunday, Nov. 11..........Buffalo

Sunday, Nov. 18..........Indianapolis

Thursday, Nov. 22.......at New York Jets

Sunday, Dec. 2.............at Miami

Monday, Dec. 10..........Houston

Sunday, Dec. 16...........San Francisco

Sunday, Dec. 23...........at Jacksonville

Sunday, Dec. 30...........Miami

Peyton comes to town in week 5, so will the Broncos become the new Colts? He has a lot of work to do after we battered them last season. It's a pretty nice schedule I have to say. For me, at the Ravens will probably be the toughest game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

davyjose wrote: »
    On a mobile so wont quote. Agree with EE that Brady wont resign in 2 years. He'll be Manning's age without (presumably) having missed a season with a big injury. That'll be a helluva free agency.

What?
    * * 2012 Patriots Regular Season Schedule * *

Very happy with that schedule.

But he is cool in the pocket under pressure and evades the pass rush calmly

Have you been watching the same Ryan Mallett as the rest of us? :confused:

That was his biggest criticism coming out of college (aside from his character). So much as a hint of a pass rush and his complete lack of mobility makes him crumble. Evading a pass rush "calmly" is the very last attribute I would associate with Mallett. Maybe he's worked on it since and I'm sure its something he has worked on, but we can only go on what we seen in college and the above couldn't be further from the truth.

Looks like Matt Light is calling it a day. And with Kevin Faulk out of contract, Brady looks like he will be the only surviving Patriot from 2001. Would be an amazing achievement for him (and Bill) to win another ring with a completely new supporting cast.

Yeah its been expected that Light would retire for some time now. Faulk is claiming he is in great shape, wouldn't be surprised to see him back tbh. He would be a great mentor for a young RB group, I think we will draft one which makes 4 and then Faulk could be the 5th, BB likes to have 5 on the roster with 1 inactive on gamedays. He would also be the backup for Woodhead.

Have you been watching the same Ryan Mallett as the rest of us? :confused:

Us? Surely you can only speak for yourself on this issue? Since there is only one Ryan Mallet on the Pats roster, who else could I be talking about?
    That was his biggest criticism coming out of college (aside from his character).

The questions about his character is an absolute joke, so a 21 year old got arrested for public intoxication. So maybe he partied a bit, well big deal because the kid was growing up. One thing that stood out at last years combine, were the reports of Mallets honesty in dealing with negative questions head on in the private meetings. A number of Team GM's stated they found his honesty refreshing. Publicly he kept his mouth shut and he didn't do any public PR, which probably only added to the hype.

But aside from all that media hype and the bs rumour mill. Mallett still put in a impressive combine performance that got rave reviews. Reading and hearing some of his comments since he joined the Pats, has been nothing but very positive imo. He's settling in, keeping the head down and seems really hungry to learn and improve.

So much as a hint of a pass rush and his complete lack of mobility makes him crumble. Evading a pass rush "calmly" is the very last attribute I would associate with Mallett.

Crumble? Come on, that is an exaggeration to say the least. I never said he would be the NFL's most mobile QB, but he is more than able to deal with the pass rush. In fact one of his first plays as a Patriot, was a sweet pass rush evasion against the Jaguars in preseason last year. I'm sure you'll find it on YouTube no problem. In fact going back to the issue of mobility, at training camp last season he consistently stayed behind after practice. Putting in extra work on footwork drills and was usually one of the last to leave.

The only really worry I have about Mallett is his patience. Will he be able to keep patient and wait for his succession to the throne when it comes.

Us? Surely you can only speak for yourself on this issue? Since there is only one Ryan Mallet on the Pats roster, who else could I be talking about?

You know well it was a figure of speech, don't be that guy.
    The questions about his character is an absolute joke, so a 21 year old got arrested for public intoxication. So maybe he partied a bit, well big deal because the kid was growing up. One thing that stood out at last years combine, were the reports of Mallets honesty in dealing with negative questions head on in the private meetings. A number of Team GM's stated they found his honesty refreshing. Publicly he kept his mouth shut and he didn't do any public PR, which probably only added to the hype.

Public intoxication is one thing, but the strong rumours of drug taking, drug dealing, other-wordly arrogance and entitlement and being banned from most of the frat houses in Arkansas are another thing. There's a reason he fell as far as round 3. Besides, that's not even what I was arguing with, I was arguing with the pass rush quote.
    But aside from all that media hype and the bs rumour mill. Mallett still put in a impressive combine performance that got rave reviews.

Rave reviews? He threw the ball well, but that was never a concern with him. That was to be expected. It's how he handles pressure that is his major criticism, something that isn't simulated at the combine. Passing drills at the combine are worthless. And aren't you forgetting his interview? One of the worst in draft history that culminated in him walking off stage mid-question. Was asked about his drug use, and didn't deny it and tried to dodge the questions (and failed miserable). Hardly an impressive performance, his stock plummeted after his combine.
    Reading and hearing some of his comments since he joined the Pats, has been nothing but very positive imo. He's settling in, keeping the head down and seems really hungry to learn and improve.

Good, that's what you'd hope to hear and as long as he's been a Patriot, I haven't seen him put a foot wrong which is so far so good.

Crumble? Come on, that is an exaggeration to say the least. I never said he would be the NFL's most mobile QB, but he is more than able to deal with the pass rush. In fact one of his first plays as a Patriot, was a sweet pass rush evasion against the Jaguars in preseason last year. I'm sure you'll find it on YouTube no problem.

I wouldn't say crumble is as much of an exaggeration as "he is cool in the pocket under pressure and evades the pass rush calmly, while maintain good down field focus". There is nothing cool and calm about Ryan Mallett when it comes to the pass rush. It's by far his biggest issue as a QB and always has been throughout his college career. There's just no basis for saying the above, especially if you're only going by having seen him do it for one play during a preseason game. Watch his college games and you'll see why it was a common feature on the "weaknesses" column of many scouting reports.

In fact going back to the issue of mobility, at training camp last season he consistently stayed behind after practice. Putting in extra work on footwork drills and was usually one of the last to leave.

That's good to hear, I'd expect any rookie in the NFL to be constantly trying to improve their weaknesses.
    The only really worry I have about Mallett is his patience. Will he be able to keep patient and wait for his succession to the throne when it comes.

Agreed, I think he'll jump ship to be a starter somewhere else before he gets a shot here.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Tesco Massacre

He's a bit of a stiff. He has a touch of the Drew Bledsoe's about him.

You know well it was a figure of speech, don't be that guy.

How could I know it was a figure of speech? I didn't know you as a poster/posting style long enough to assume that. I generally don't use negative emoticons like the rolls eyes/confusion emoticon in posts, to avoid crossed wires, but that's just me.

Public intoxication is one thing, but the strong rumours of drug taking, drug dealing, other-wordly arrogance and entitlement and being banned from most of the frat houses in Arkansas are another thing. There's a reason he fell as far as round 3. Besides, that's not even what I was arguing with, I was arguing with the pass rush quote.

Christ I thought I heard them all, now he was banned from most frat houses and was a drug dealer. I wouldn't pay heed to a lot of that bullshít. So he drank beer and smoked pot, so do 80-90% of all college kids. He's a patriot now so the past is irrelevant, Belichick seen something he liked and that's good enough for me.

And aren't you forgetting his interview? One of the worst in draft history that culminated in him walking off stage mid-question. Was asked about his drug use, and didn't deny it and tried to dodge the questions (and failed miserable). Hardly an impressive performance, his stock plummeted after his combine.

Well I did allude to that in my past post, when I mentioned he didn't do any good PR at the combine. His private meetings were another matter, the feedback as I already mentioned was very good. He didn't like the camera's and his obvious immaturity probably didn't see the value in good PR. He was happy to meet GM's and be totally honest in addressing the rumours privately. His mistake was to not carry this out in front of the camera lense. These are lessons you learn in life and it will stand him good in steed when/if he becomes franchise QB.

There is nothing cool and calm about Ryan Mallett when it comes to the pass rush. It's by far his biggest issue as a QB and always has been throughout his college career. There's just no basis for saying the above, especially if you're only going by having seen him do it for one play during a preseason game. Watch his college games and you'll see why it was a common feature on the "weaknesses" column of many scouting reports.

I don't agree, overall mobility needs to be worked on alright and honing control of a very powerful arm are my issues. Saying he crumbles is just inaccurate. In hindsight, I should have probably added the word 'capable' to my commentary on him dealing with the pass rush calmly. He doesn't always do it no, but I've seen him do it plenty of times for me not to worry about it. You can't be seriously suggesting btw, that I have only seen him play at Patriots preseason surely? Common on now, no need for that.

Agreed, I think he'll jump ship to be a starter somewhere else before he gets a shot here.

He may indeed, but I'm keeping positive on this and reckon he won't. He's with the best Franchise in the business, with the best QB to learn from. Four years from now, he could be the Franchise QB and start a 10 year reign. All going well, he should have a very impressive and well polished game by then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Just want to ask the Patriots fans what's the situation with Sterling Moore?

Put my Ravens out of the Superbowl :(
    Lee Evans got hell for what happened but then Moore got overlooked, it was a great play. Well at least in the Baltimore media and forums

Moore was doing well that season

I love to see UDFA's making successful careers for themselves

So is he getting a contract?
    His wiki entry is a bit blank, I've done some searching but not a lot of info out there

Moore signed a deal for 2012 when he signed up. I'm sure they'll sit down and do something with him soon.

• Advertisement

Welcome aboard our two new 1st rounders :)

Delighted with the Hightower pick, and happy enough with the Jones pick. Bill sure does like to make it interesting though! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Seems like Pats are building that D. Are they the first round winners? ha

A little bonus that sneaked under the radar with the draft in full swing the last couple of days. We signed an UDFA in 2009 by the name of Eric Kettani from Navy. He was placed on the military/reserve list after he signed up and then had to take up active duty. Last year he was allowed be part of the Patriots practice squad while he still carried out his Naval duties but was then suddenly called back up to active duty. The Navy have now released him. The Patriots have kept this guy signed up for three years and now he has a chance to make the roster. I remember lots of people talking about him back then and how he was an exciting prospect and a known leader on the field. The guy is listed as a FB but he has the speed and moves to play RB in the NFL. He could be a huge addition to the Patriots backfield this season particularly in short yardage situations. Guy is full of heart from everything I've heard.

Theres not highlights video of the man anywhere but heres a touchdown just to whet the appetite. Really looking forward to seeing him play.

Random timing, but I made this back in January. Just chopped up a load of Pats videos and stuck it together with some nice music. Bet you can't wait for September after watching it :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Day 1 loved...Day 2 not so much

I dont understand why we didnt do this: Draft Reyes with our first pick in the 2nd, then draft Wilson who would surely still be there with the 2nd pick of the 2nd.

I liked Reyes, he put up good numbers in the combine but more importantly he was productive on the field. Also he was a team captain with the added bonus of being a New Englander. Instead we got Bequette (who looks like great value in 3rd tho) and a 5th round pick...i would way prefer to have Reyes.

I dont mind the pick of Wilson. I trust BB more than i trust Mel Kiper or Todd McShay. He did the same with Vollmer and that was a great pick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Rugby player in the 6th round...hopefully BB will soon make a trade with Munster to bring O'Connell to Foxboro

The Ravens discover that we nicked Hightower from under their noses:

hightower.gif

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

True, it's true :mad:

This is awesome. Just listen to whats said, Najarian says 'Its going just the way I told you it would go', to which Chandler Jones replys 'Yep, you did'. It seems the Patriots had predicted exactly where they needed to go to get their man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

So Gaffney anybody?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement