Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New England Patriots thread (MOD WARNING - #4503)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I see Brady popped up with Peter King in his Monday Morning Quarterback column, to give a rare off season interview while promoting a favourite charity.

On Matt Light's retirement.......
    "Matt called me a while ago and told me what he was planning to do, and I've called him every week since then trying to talk him out of it. He had such a great year for us. But there was no way I was going to be able to talk him out of it. He'll be a tough player to replace. But, you know, every year in this game, there's a lot of change.''

When asked about how long he'll be around for.......
    “My wife [Gisele Bundchen] said to me, ‘When I met you [in 2006], you said you wanted to play 10 more years. How come that number never goes down?’ It’s that I love the game. I love the game. I’m going to play until they tell me they don’t want me anymore.''

Oh yes God Tom, please do. I'll be happy if you give us at least another 5 seasons. Just stay healthy and protect your knees.

When King asked him about Belichik.......
    "I just met with coach Belichick this morning and I still feel like I’m in my first year trying to prove myself. There’s no entitlement around coach Belichick. I’ve got to be the best guy for him to keep playing me. When I’m not, someone else will play.”

And there is his ingredient for greatness, always trying to please the coach and improve himself. No resting on his laurels and no diva bullshít, aren't we so lucky to have him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

God, whenever I read a Tom Brady interview I just start blushing and giggling like a school girl. What a man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Gotta say Peter King is unbearable when he talks about Brady. He does little to hide his Boston roots.
    Brady is a legend obv with what he said though itll be interesting to see how things pan out. BB wont give him more than 3 more years IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,860 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

davyjose wrote: »
    Gotta say Peter King is unbearable when he talks about Brady. He does little to hide his Boston roots.
    Brady is a legend obv with what he said though itll be interesting to see how things pan out. BB wont give him more than 3 more years IMO.
    As Brady said in the interview, as long as he is the best available to Belchick he will be the starter. As soon as Belichick feels he is not good enough he will bench him. That could be this season or it could be in 5 years, we won't know until it happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭CoachTO

Never a big fan of King myself. He is unbearable about a lot of things. I did listen to the interview though and Brady himself was excellent even if you ignore King.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

lol i always think he has a biased opinion on the Patriots...but that he hates them.

He doenst like BB and i think he always has a go at him whenever he gets the chance. BB hates him also, he refuses to do interviews with him or acknowledge his presence in press conferences. So this is probably where his anti-Pats vibe comes from.

BB wont give him more than 3 more years IMO.

I wouldn't hold my breath on that one tbh. Just look at his stats for 2011 - 5235 Yards - 39 TD's - 401 Comp - 611 Att - 65.6% Pct :eek:. The guy is just on a different level, so 3 years might be just a bit too soon imo. Providing he stays healthy of course, because he still has the hunger and the drive. Belichick knows Brady well enough to know that he is a perfectionist. So I have know doubt Brady will know himself when it's time to retire. I just really can't see him doing a Favre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Aye Hazys. Peyton is the same with him. Maybe King has his favourites regardless of team but his man-love for Brady is palpable.

Corvis, never say never. BB is a tough old nut. Look at how Brady got the job. Bledsoe was a legend before TB came along. Brady had a magic season, but a surprising lack of accuracy* in the playoffs. Hes still easily elite. Eye-poppingly good. But 3 years from now who knows.

*By his own crazy-high standards.

Corvis, never say never. BB is a tough old nut. Look at how Brady got the job. Bledsoe was a legend before TB came along. Brady had a magic season, but a surprising lack of accuracy* in the playoffs. Hes still easily elite. Eye-poppingly good. But 3 years from now who knows.

*By his own crazy-high standards.

I see your point and it could very well happen, but I like to believe it won't. Yes Bledsoe has a special place in the hearts of Pats fans. But Brady and Belichick have a unique partnership, that's been forged through 5 Superbowl trips. We had no right to get to the a Superbowl in February, but Brady got us there. His Championship winning TD leap against the Ravens said a lot to me about his hunger. Very few QB's would risk themselves like that. Throwing his body into the firing line was pure will to win. I don't know how his back wasn't snapped in half, with that hard tackle to his mid spine as he was upside down. Even Ray Lewis was cooing about Brady after the game.

Brady's good friend Wes Welker addressed this topic yesterday on WEEI Sports radio, when he was asked can he see Brady playing for another decade he said..
    “There's no doubt in my mind, Tom in every decision he makes, in everything he does. You know from what he drinks to what he eats, to his travelling schedule, everything is centered around football, everything. It's almost like an illness or something. Every decision he makes is focused around making him a better football player. I commend him on it because it's not easy to eat the way he does or train the way he does and do the things he needs to do to make him a better player. Especially in his position, he doesn't have to but he just loves Football.''

I must admit that when Brady completed his new home in LA. I thought he might pack it in when his contract was up. But looking at Welker's comments yesterday, it's pretty clear the guy clearly still lives and breathes football. I think Brady will be long gone before Belichick even thinks about pushing him. He'll know himself when to step off the stage. He's been a record breaker his whole career and I wouldn't be surprised if he sets a longevity record as a top QB.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,626 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/05/15/wes-welker-signs-his-franchise-tender/

****ing on about it being a leap of faith on twitter, shoud go **** himself, would kill for a 9.6 million leap of faith

• Advertisement

mayordenis wrote: »
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/05/15/wes-welker-signs-his-franchise-tender/

****ing on about it being a leap of faith on twitter, shoud go **** himself, would kill for a 9.6 million leap of faith

You are taking him out of context. Welker wants a long term deal and the leap of faith thing is based on getting a long term deal after this season when the tender runs up. And to be fair he is worth more to us than the Franchise tender and has every reason to feel aggrieved by such a small contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Gronk turns 23 today. I forget sometimes just how young him and Hernandez are.

Also that is a leap of faith. He shouldn't "go **** himself". He's worth a lot more than that and is taking a risk by signing that tender. And thank god he did.

mayordenis wrote: »

Well that's exactly what it is - a leap of faith. He's taken the franchise tag with no long term contract offer on the table and that is a leap of faith if nothing else. He is right to look for long term security and he hasn't got it yet from the front office. As Coach rightly said, he certainly is worth a lot more than $9.6 million dollars to the Patriots. Listening to him speaking during the WEEI Sports radio interview yesterday, you could hear his desire to get back into training with his buddies. So I'm not surprised to see he has now signed up today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Delighted Wes has signed. Josh with a full offseason to work with Brady, Wes, Lloyd and the Twins, I keep saying it but our offence next season has me as excited as I've ever been in looking forward to any sport.

Welker's latest interview. Take from it what you will :D

http://news.bostonherald.com/sports/football/patriots/view/20220517wes_welker_contract_talks_with_pats_have_gotten_worse/srvc=home&position=6
    Wes Welker knows he’s given up all his leverage when it comes to prying a longterm contract out of the . That was the trade-off for signing his $9.5 million franchise tender so early and reporting for work.

According to the Pro Bowl receiver, his decision wasn’t made because there’s been progress in the negotiations, or he’s been encouraged a new deal is on the horizon. If anything, talks have gone in the opposite direction, Welker told the Herald today in an exclusive phone interview. “There have been talks, but nothing that’s brightened anything at all,” Welker said. “It’s actually gotten worse.”

When asked to define “worse,” Welker said the offer on the table is less than the two-year, $16 million fully guaranteed contract that was offered to him during the 2011 regular season.

So why would he agree to the tender now?
    Welker said he opted to sign the one-year tag because in the end, even though he may have been advised to stay away from camp, that’s who he is and how he goes about his business.

“(Organized team activities) are about to start. The team’s all getting together. You get all these months off and everything else. I don’t know, you’re just kind of bored,” Welker said. “You want to be up on the field. You want to be up there competing and trying to get better. You kind of miss it. You want to be out there. It’s kind of hard. You’re getting told to do this, this, or that. You’re getting all this information. You don’t really know who to believe or what to go with. I think at the end of the day for me, if I go out there and keep playing great football like I have been for the past five years, eventually, it’ll pay off.

“If they see me out there at OTAs and minicamps and everything else, and I’m still out there winning and doing what I need to do to help the team win, you know what, the ball’s in their court to make something happen,” Welker continued. “That’s kind of my mindset. To go out and show them I deserve it.”
    Welker acknowledged attempting a harder-line stance last month, openly threatening the possibility of a holdout at mandatory camps, but ultimately decided that wasn’t the right way to go.

“I think those techniques work better with other teams. I think the best thing you can do, as far as the Patriots, is be there and let them make the decision if they want to do something longterm or not,” said Welker, who indicated he planned on being at OTAs late next week. “Obviously, I want to be there. I want to help the team win. I want a championship and all those things. I’m trying to do everything to make that happen, and I’ll let everything else take care of itself.”

So, Welker, who is holding his annual Old Spice football clinic at Bishop Fenwick this weekend, is really making a “leap of faith” as he put it on his Twitter feed. If it doesn’t work out, he’s prepared to live with the consequences.

“The ball’s in their court. I just want to play,” he said. “At the end of the day, if it’s one year, $9.5 million, it’s one year, $9.5 million. I’m good with that.”

If there's one thing Welker should know by now, it's the Patriots style of contract negotiations. Nobody is bigger than the team and nobody gets the prima dona treatment. Brady, Wilfork and Mankins all had tough contract negotiations. The team is the bottom line, while Welker is naturally worried about his own long term future. Next year we will have Gronk and Hernandez coming to the end of their contracts. So the bigger picture/team has to be budgeted for and accounted for.

We all know the Patriots like to keep their negotiations private, Welker should know this and zip it really. But it could be too late, because his recent public utterances probably have not gone down too well at Patriot Place. I wouldn't surprise me if this ended up being his last season as a Patriot tbh. The Boston Globe said the following earlier.....
    According to a team source, Welker’s decision to go public in recent weeks about negotiations has not gone over well with the Patriots; two weeks ago, when he made appearances on various ESPN programs, he made reference to holding out at least through full-team minicamp next month. His words have only increased the chances that 2012 will be his final season with the team.

http://bostonglobe.com/sports/2012/05/17/wes-welker-doesn-see-progress-contract-talks-with-patriots/eedUCrDDcEYNot2c9Z5oVJ/story.html

When rookie Jeremy Ebert signed, I immediately saw a successor to Welker. The Patriots were clearly looking to the future when they landed him. He could be as effective in the Slot role, but looking at his greater height and speed I think he could offer more than that in the long term. Putting his Pro day stats side by side with Welker's, Ebert's numbers are much more impressive.

Wide receiver Jeremy Ebert, who was not invited to the combine, worked out as if he should have been. Ebert ran a 4.38-second 40-yard dash, bench pressed 225 pounds 16 times and looked smooth in his route running and receiving. The performance had scouts buzzing and should help Ebert's draft stock.

"Not getting invited to the combine kind of hurt, but I showed up today and showed them what I can do," Ebert said.

"I've been told it's a very deep group of inside slot receivers this year," Northwestern coach Pat Fitzgerald said. "I would put him up there with any of them. We think he's faster than maybe some people think based on watching tape."

In positional work, Ebert was on the receiving end of a beautiful 50-yard bomb from Dan Persa. Ebert caught the pass with his back to the quarterback and his arms outstretched.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-03-08/sports/ct-spt-0309-northwestern-football--20120309_1_dan-persa-drake-dunsmore-northwestern-coach-pat

Northewestern is very much of the radar and tends to be overlooked by a lot of NFL scouts. Ebert's a talented kid who could have been picked higher up the Draft. So whether he steps into Welkers shoes next season or in 3 years time, only time will tell really.

When rookie Jeremy Ebert signed, I immediately saw a successor to Welker. The Patriots were clearly looking to the future when they landed him. He could be as effective in the Slot role, but looking at his greater height and speed I think he could offer more than that in the long term. Putting his Pro day stats side by side with Welker's, Ebert's numbers are much more impressive.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-03-08/sports/ct-spt-0309-northwestern-football--20120309_1_dan-persa-drake-dunsmore-northwestern-coach-pat

Northewestern is very much of the radar and tends to be overlooked by a lot of NFL scouts. Ebert's a talented kid who could have been picked higher up the Draft. So whether he steps into Welkers shoes next season or in 3 years time, only time will tell really.

Am I the only one sick of listening to the Welker thing? He does deserve a better contract but its tiring at this point listening to and watching the reports about it. Whether he is being a bitch or making sense its about time the media find someone else to follow.

I LOVE Ebert. Have to be honest I didn't think anyone would take a shot on him though although I was a big fan of his through college. A friend of mine coached in the Ohio school districts and told me about him back in 2009 and I kept an eye on his career. Extremely sharp WR, perfect in slot and has bags of potential in the Pros if he picks it up quickly. With the competition he has in camp its a great opportunity to improve himself and get better behind the quality we have. Really hope he works out. Think I even had him in my Boards College FF. :D

CoachTO wrote: »
    Am I the only one sick of listening to the Welker thing? He does deserve a better contract but its tiring at this point listening to and watching the reports about it. Whether he is being a bitch or making sense its about time the media find someone else to follow.

Yes, I'm sick of it to. He should really know how the Pats conduct their business at this stage. I'm happy enough for him to play under the franchise tag for 2012 and maybe extend it next year, depending on his performance/injuries ect, ect.
    I LOVE Ebert. Have to be honest I didn't think anyone would take a shot on him though although I was a big fan of his through college. A friend of mine coached in the Ohio school districts and told me about him back in 2009 and I kept an eye on his career. Extremely sharp WR, perfect in slot and has bags of potential in the Pros if he picks it up quickly.

It was a great 2012 Draft with the defensive strengthening. But the Ebert draft capped it off perfectly. I was hoping we'd pick up one young receiver before the end. So I was delighted with the Ebert move. To be honest, I never really heard of the guy before then. I do remember seeing a couple of wildcat TD's a while back, that I only realised after the Draft was actually him. I really like the guy and his production speaks for itself. Northwestern college have a very strong academic programme, so Ebert should have a good brain to help him digest the complex offensive play book.

The Boston Globe reported on Friday that a Patriot source said his recent public comments regarding his contract situation, have not been well-received by the Patriots.

During a Football clinic for his foundation yesterday, he immediately backtracked on Thursdays comments and tried to do some damage limitation when he spoke to reporters.
    "That was probably a bad choice of words, saying they've gotten worse, They've pretty much -- they've stayed the same. I'm franchised for the year and I'm completely happy with that."

When a reporter also asked him have there been contract talks recently, Welker deferred comment, stating...
    "I have people to handle discussions with the Patriots. I'll keep that between my agent and the Patriots and whatever they do for me, I just stay out of it as much as I can and just focus on what I can do to help the team win."

Now that's a lot better and a bit more Patriot like Wes. So just keep it up.

Just when you think the Welker thing is going away good old Bob Kraft to throw fuel on the fire as he always does:

http://boston.sbnation.com/new-england-patriots/2012/5/22/3036554/2012-new-england-patriots-offseason-nfl-free-agency-rumors-wes-welker-robert-kraft
    Wes Welker and the New England Patriots have been involved in a little bit of a contract standoff since he signed a franchise tender last week. On Tuesday, team owner Robert Kraft said he would like to keep Welker a "Patriot for life," but only if a deal makes sense for the club.
    "Well we'd like to see him be a Patriot for life but it takes two sides," Kraft told Kim Jones of NFL Network Tuesday at the league meetings in Atlanta. "We're just happy he's back in the system. He's a wonderful young man, and a special guy. I think both sides would like to do a deal, but it requires intelligence and putting our team first."
    Welker has made some public comments about being unhappy with the negotiations, but Kraft said there are no hard feelings within the organization.
    "Anyone can say whatever they want. He's done a great job for us, we're always trying to do whatever we can do to put our team in the best position to win, that means balancing a lot of things, understanding what the cap is, what the cap growth is, how things fit in the system and we try to have values for every position and every player," Kraft said.

I do agree with a lot of what he says though.

• Advertisement

Just when you think the Welker thing is going away good old Bob Kraft to throw fuel on the fire as he always does:

http://boston.sbnation.com/new-england-patriots/2012/5/22/3036554/2012-new-england-patriots-offseason-nfl-free-agency-rumors-wes-welker-robert-kraft

I do agree with a lot of what he says though.

Same here. I love Wes but i cant see us giving a massive contract to a 31yr old receiver again.

Kraft is absolutely spot on, the team must and should always come first. As fans, sometimes we have to put the emotions aside. Wes has given great service and great production, but the Pats are not going to pay him for what he has done in the past. That's water under the bridge now, they have to estimate what value he can bring to the team for the next 2-3 seasons.

God, whenever I read a Tom Brady interview I just start blushing and giggling like a school girl. What a man.
    Its ok JaMarcus you are not alone.:D

I was listening to Matt Light on NFL network. He really came across very well, was thinking the guy might even have a future in color commentary.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Its ok JaMarcus you are not alone.:D

I'm memorising those lyrics for the new season. :D

I'm memorising those lyrics for the new season. :D

I couldn't watch lasted 30secs and had to shut it off. Im sure the words are awesome but the dude singing......

I couldn't watch lasted 30secs and had to shut it off. Im sure the words are awesome but the dude singing......

I must admit being off for the week and excessive late beers does help.

OTA's continuing again today at Gillette and some worrying reports on Ocho. Christopher Price of WEEI.com reporting on Twitter...
    Ocho forced to run penalty lap after jumping the count, and on another play, had to be redirected by Branch as to where to line up pre-snap.

https://twitter.com/capeleaguer/status/205696544333246464

Not looking good Ocho, your excuse last year was the lock out and late exposure to the play book. No excuses now I'm afraid, he needs to seriously step up if he's gonna make the roster. Personally I can't see it happening.

• Advertisement

OTA's continuing again today at Gillette and some worrying reports on Ocho. Christopher Price of WEEI.com reporting on Twitter...

https://twitter.com/capeleaguer/status/205696544333246464

Not looking good Ocho, your excuse last year was the lock out and late exposure to the play book. No excuses now I'm afraid, he needs to seriously step up if he's gonna make the roster. Personally I can't see it happening.

Wow, its seems he still cant get the offense...it doesnt look good for 85

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement