Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New England Patriots thread (MOD WARNING - #4503)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Matt Light retiring is a massive loss to the Patriots. He was a tremendous player and Patriot.

I think he was massively underrated around the league, he only made 3 probowls! For 10 years he was trusted with protecting Brady's blindside against some serious pass rushers, Jason Taylor twice a year, Aaron Schobel twice a year and Dwight Freeney nearly twice a year. Bob Kraft mentioned in his retirement speech that only 5 players have started 5 Superbowls and Light was the only non-QB to do it.

Altough i think we have a great replacement in Solder, i dont think Solder would start this year if Light was available and also his presense and leasership in the locker room will be greatly missed.

I was hoping he would stay for one last year and play out his contract but oh well. I hope he enjoys his retirement and he will go down as one of the greatest Patriots of all time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

It's also looking like TB12 will be the last remaining member of the 2001 Super Bowl team. I said it before but if he were to win another ring with a completely new 52 man supporting cast, that would be an astonishing achievement. Same goes for Bill and Kraft.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

A sad day today, seeing Matt officially hang up his cleats. I have been in denial for awhile, hoping he would make a dramatic late U turn and give us another season as Brady's top bodyguard. Looks like he got a well deserved special send off at Gillette. He was a legendary Patriot, who will be sorely missed by all Pats fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

While we are talking Tackles here could anybody give me a website that gives stats for Sacks allowed?

While we are talking Tackles here could anybody give me a website that gives stats for Sacks allowed?

Try here..http://hosted.stats.com/fb/players.asp

Go to relevant Team > Roster > Player's name ect...

You should find sacks allowed stats in there no problem.

• Advertisement

Matt Light battled Crohn's disease for his entire pro career :eek: including the Patriots giving him a 6year contract 30 days after coming close to dieing and dropping nearly 50lbs to 260lbs...insane stuff

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4721893/lights-decade-long-battle-with-crohns

• Registered Users Posts: 37,716 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Hazys wrote: »
    Matt Light battled Crohn's disease for his entire pro career :eek: including the Patriots giving him a 6year contract 30 days after coming close to dieing and dropping nearly 50lbs to 260lbs...insane stuff

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4721893/lights-decade-long-battle-with-crohns
    Wow is all I can say. He was already a legend to me but this just makes him an incredible man. With all the money those guys make and he goes on that long going through that. No surprise that he as considering retiring for so long. To maintain the standard he did for so long while battling that is just astounding.

Looking to the future now that Light has ended his reign. I look at Nate Solder and I see a young heir to his throne. Thrown into the action as a rookie last season, after RT Sebastian Vollmer suffered a back injury. He played in all 19 games last season with 16 starts. Starting 14 at RT and 2 at LT and even lined up as the third TE in jumbo sets.

At 6.8 he's the tallest Patriot in history and he currently weighs in at 310Lb. He has stated he wants to get to 330Lb :eek:. A talented, versatile young guy who had an impressive first season. A lot will be expected of him now that Light has gone. Personally though, I wouldn't be surprised if he's named as a Pro-Bowler after just his second season.

Absolutely love Nate Solder, I think we all knew we were watching a special talent with how he manhandled Cam Wake on his debut. Given that he'll be facing the likes of Wake, Mario Williams and Quinton Coples for the forseeable future, we'll need him to keep improving. Love the mix of youth and experience on our O-line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭CoachTO

Absolutely love Nate Solder, I think we all knew we were watching a special talent with how he manhandled Cam Wake on his debut. Given that he'll be facing the likes of Wake, Mario Williams and Quinton Coples for the forseeable future, we'll need him to keep improving. Love the mix of youth and experience on our O-line.

What I love about Solder are his long arms. The reach he has on Pass rushers is incredible. As he grows as a lineman and uses his feet better he will be one of the best linemen and Left tackles in the league without a shadow of a doubt.

• Advertisement

Solder certainly has all the tools to be a great one but he has to improve on last year. He had some pretty dodgy performances. He was expected to have a year to develop though so heres hoping this year turns out to be his first great of many.

eagle eye wrote: »
    He had some pretty dodgy performances. He was expected to have a year to develop though so heres hoping this year turns out to be his first great of many.

Yeah defo. His footwork against fellow college players was class but in the Pros at times you can see he struggled with faster stronger Rushing ends. But its something he can fix and I am sure the Pats will have him fine tuned this off season. At least they have a full off season to make these tweaks this year.

I don't think this has been posted - it's Belichick's speech at Matt Light's retirement gathering. Very funny story and a side of Bill we don't see too often :)
    FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- Podium comments from Patriots offensive tackle Matt Light's retirement ceremony on Monday:

Patriots head coach Bill Belichick:

"It's really with a lot of mixed emotions that I stand up here today to talk about Matt. Since Matt is going after I am, I know I'm going to get killed, so might as well take a couple swings while I can, since it will be a while before I get a chance to have rebuttal. All the great accolades that Tom [Brady] and Dante [Scarnecchia] and Mr. Kraft mentioned were certainly in my mind as well. Matt has been the definition of a dependable, durable, consistent player who has held one of the toughest positions in the game for a long time and made it a strong point on our team. It's been a pleasure to coach Matt for these 11 years.

As Dante said, it was a love-hate relationship; we had our ups and downs. We have challenging moments. Certainly every year, before the start of the season, right around training camp, or sometime later in training camp, Matt would always be in my office. I knew what the conversation was about. At the end I finally got the picture and started it off with Matt, by asking 'When's the turkey hunt this year?' We'd try to figure out a date to set. We'd work into the schedule with our team so all the players could participate.

Our relationship goes back a long way. In the draft in 2001, we actually traded up ahead of the Jets, because we felt that they would be taking an offensive tackle and we wanted to make sure that we got Matt. We felt that he would be a real good player for our team. We drafted Matt, and they took Kareem McKenzie a couple picks later.

So we kind of got off to a rocky start that rookie year, with my brilliance and foresight, I decided Matt, really even though he played left tackle at Purdue extremely well, that he would be better suited to play right tackle for us. We put him over there at right tackle. We go out there in training camp and he gets in a pile in a drill and comes out. I walked over to him and asked, 'What is wrong with you?' He says 'coach, somebody fell on my ankle. I got a high ankle sprain.' That's when it started. [I said], 'Matt, how do you know you have a sprain? You know it hurts, don't give me an instant diagnosis. Just go out there and run the plays, don't start playing doctor.' He was out for five weeks, and he got back just before the regular season. We went to Cincinnati for the opener, close to where Matt lives. He left to see his parents, got caught in traffic, some garbage [like that], and he was late for the meeting. Matt didn't start that first game. So I thought we were over the hump on that one. Later that year we went out to Denver. Our plane landed a couple hours before team meeting, and Matt and a couple of his other teammates went out there shopping for cowboy boots, belt buckles, something like that, and they showed up late. So we have to go through another one.

But then actually going back to the end of training camp, I finally said -- Dante and I still remember the conversation -- we tried him at right tackle, he didn't look very good, then he got hurt. So we said look, let's just forget it. Let's put him over at left tackle and see what we can do. We have our doubts as to whether he can really play left tackle in the NFL, let's just put him over there and see how it goes. Went pretty good. [He made] 19 mental errors that rookie year. Matt only had two this past season.

He's been a stalwart for us on the field and off the field as several have alluded to. One thing about Matt was, because he was the ultimate prankster, even when it wasn't him playing the prank, he was involved because everybody thought it was him. He had a great knack for putting dead animals in people's lockers or in their car. Whatever it was, the finger always pointed to Matt first because that was his personality. He was always the prime suspect even when it wasn't him. One of the best ones that he had I was involved in with, it was actually a lot of fun. We were, two years ago, going through the usual grinding part of the season in November, December, and we had a big game with the Jets coming up. There were usually two or three times during the season when I would go to the team after a win, Sunday in the locker room, and say I'm going to give you Monday and Tuesday off, but I want you to watch film, know them inside and out. There are questions on Wednesday, they're not easy. You really have better done your homework or it will be a long week. Matt comes in on Tuesday and he's in watching film. He comes into my office and says 'As a prank between me and you, what do you think about throwing a question out there tomorrow that nobody will know the answer, but I'll nail it, and that will just send a great message to team about studying and being prepared and really being ready for this game against the Jets.' I'm like, 'come on,' but he talked me into it, so we went with it. I go into the meeting the next day, and said 'okay, let's talk about the Jets sub defense. What have we seen them run?' Brady's [says], '2-4 nickel, 3-3 nickel.' [I say], 'have we ween them in dime?' Hoyer says, 'yeah we saw them in 3-2 dime, but not that much.' I say 'have we seen them in another dime package? No other dime package?' Light sticks up his hand. 'Coach, I thought I saw them in that 1-5 dime one time, I think,' [he says]. 'Damnit, Light, you did. They've been it one time all year. I don't imagine you remember the game, since you went through the whole entire film,' [I say]. 'I want to say it was the Houston game, the opener right before the half,' [Light said]. 'Alright Light, you have all the answers, you know everything,' [I said]. I break the meeting up, the offensive linemen walk out of the room, they're like 'Jesus Light, you're killing us, you're really putting us to shame here.' Honest to God, to this day, I don't think any of those guys ever knew. But that's the way it was with Matt. He had a great sense when to lighten up and when to tighten up.

To not fool around with guard and right tackle, that was probably one of the best un-coaching, undoing a bad decision that I've done. He's been a tremendous player for us, a tremendous resource for our team. He's given great leadership as well as great performance. A lot of levity that we probably need around here. Most of which I'll miss, but not all of it. Matt, congratulations on a tremendous career. You and your family have meant a lot to this team and the community up here. Nobody was more consistent, more dependable, to count on, to coach than this guy has been the last 11 years. Thank God we were able to move him back to left tackle. Thank you for putting up with me."

Bet you read that in Belichick-voice ;)

I don't think this has been posted - it's Belichick's speech at Matt Light's retirement gathering. Very funny story and a side of Bill we don't see too often :)

Bet you read that in Belichick-voice ;)

I seen the clip of Belichick's speech and it was very funny indeed. Robert Kraft also gave a nice speech. He got choked up near the end, when he spoke of Matt being a driving force in commissioning a special team memorial painting for MHK. Again, I only seen the clip and I don't have a transcript to quote here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Even Darth Vader was human, once.

I seen the clip of Belichick's speech and it was very funny indeed. Robert Kraft also gave a nice speech. He got choked up near the end, when he spoke of Matt being a driving force in commissioning a special team memorial painting for MHK. Again, I only seen the clip and I don't have a transcript to quote here.

Very true I saw part of it also but cant find it anywhere wish it was up somewhere it would show the real side of BB. Found it very funny. Its mad people give him stick for the lack of personality when he talks about the Pats pre game or post game or football in general. I like him that way. He means business.

Syferus wrote: »
    Even Darth Vader was human, once.

Another gem to add to your collection :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

CoachTO wrote: »
    Very true I saw part of it also but cant find it anywhere wish it was up somewhere it would show the real side of BB. Found it very funny. Its mad people give him stick for the lack of personality when he talks about the Pats pre game or post game or football in general. I like him that way. He means business.

Another gem to add to your collection :rolleyes:

Thank you so much, Coach! :pac:

He's all business in press conferences where he embodies the team first mentality but he every so often shows his personality and throws in a dry humour joke to mess with the journos

Away from the press, he appears to be quiet extrovert and a hilarious guy. Its quiet obvious how much he loves the game and its history....and the most obvious thing is, he's always coaching and teaching:

I'd say players love him, i've never heard of an ex player saying a bad word about him. Even when Randy Moss one of the most arrogant, selfish and uncoachable players of all time after a couple of weeks of getting kicked out of town couldn't express how much he loves BB.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

Bill can be a funny guy alright.

Matt Patricia promoted to Defensive Coordinator former Safety and Linebacker Coord.

• Advertisement

CoachTO wrote: »
    Matt Patricia promoted to Defensive Coordinator former Safety and Linebacker Coord.

Along with Matt Patricia being made the defensive coordinator, the Pats have made the following changes to the coaching staff....

Josh Boyer will coach cornerbacks.
    Brian Flores will coach safeties.
    Patrick Graham will coach the defensive line.
    Pepper Johnson will coach the linebackers.
    George Godsey will coach the tight ends.
    Joe Judge has been named special teams assistant.
    Steve Belichick has been named a coaching assistant.

Well then it's official. In 15 years, Patriots head coach Steve Belichick with help from rookie QB Benjamin Brady will guide the team to Super Bowl dominance :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Is Steve Belichick Bill's blond-haired son that's normally on the sideline?

/n0ob question.

Is Steve Belichick Bill's blond-haired son that's normally on the sideline?

/n0ob question.

Yes that's his son alright.
    Well then it's official. In 15 years, Patriots head coach Steve Belichick with help from rookie QB Benjamin Brady will guide the team to Super Bowl dominance :D

I really like where you're going there. :D

Rookie training camp started today and I'm really looking forward to the feedback when it finishes tomorrow. So along with all new rookies who were drafted, there are also another seven undrafted rookie free agents. They are RB Brandon Bolden (Mississippi), DL Marcus Forston (Miami), DL Justin Francis (Rutgers), TE Brad Herman (Iowa), WR Matt Roark (Kentucky), OL Jeremiah Warren (South Florida) and OL Markus Zusevics (Iowa). They joined up today with the other seven players drafted by the Patriots, at a 2 day rookie mini-camp at Gillette Stadium that lasts until tomorrow.

I find Brandon Bolden (RB) 22 years old, 5-11, 222 pounds particularly intriguing, because of the similarities with ‘The Law Firm’. Bolden like Ben Jarvis, comes out of Mississippi state and both were undrafted rookie free agents. He's a power runner and regarded as an excellent blocker. Bolden finished up his college career at Mississippi ranked second overall in school history for total touchdowns - 33, 27 of which were rushing touchdowns. He had a total of 2,604 rushing yards in his college career, which puts him 4th overall for total career rushing yards at Mississippi. He was also team captain, so yet again we see those leadership qualities the Pats like to see in their players.

He played in 10 games in 2011, starting 4 of them and totalled 96 carries for 462 yards and four touchdowns. He fractured his ankle last September, which limited his season performance overall. Playing through the pain didn't help him and he fell down the draft table after the injury was reported. Only time will tell if he makes the final roster, but it would be quite amazing if the Pats have pulled off another master stroke and found The Law Firm 2.0.

Just catching up there and reading Hazy's post where he says how chilled out BB is away from football and I remembered this.

Ocho has written an open letter to Goodell.
    Dear Dad,

I know it has been a rough week, so I wanted to reach out. Players dying, players suing and on top of that my peers are just going off on you in the media. It does not help that ESPN has all of a sudden become Medical TV with damn near every brain expert on the planet. This has got to be the worst week ever. Since no one is showing any support, I figured I would be the first. You are in one big ass catch 22 and quite frankly, I am not sure there is any solution. One thing I think can help is killing the NFL PR machine.
    Y’all do a darn near perfect job at portraying this game as one played by heroes.
    But let’s be real dad. This is a nasty, dirty and violent game with consequences. Sign up or go get a regular job. Watch it or turn off the TV and go fishing with your kids. It is really that simple. I know there are probably legal and financial implications that prevent this blunt depiction, but am not sure if you have a choice. If you don’t say it now, the mounting evidence being revealed publicly will say it for you very soon. In all, I love you and if anyone can lead us out of this mess, it will be you. Oh by the way, I have a deal for you. Am having a rebound year and plan to do a lot of celebrating in the end zone. Can my fine money go to supporting ex-players suffering?
    Sincerely,
    Chad

^ ^ ^
    This is a nasty, dirty and violent game with consequences. Sign up or go get a regular job.

And that really needed to be said. Fair play to Ocho, a man that's never short on words.

There are some excellent interviews up on Patriots.com with some of the guys reporting to rookie training camps. Markell Carter - who was on the practise squad all last season - gave a particularly impressive interview. He just seems like the nicest guy with the perfect attitude. They're all on here, some good listening, interviews with McDaniels, Patricia etc. too.

http://www.patriots.com/media-center/audio/Markell-Carter-Interview---5122012/b3b592dd-3e3b-4d00-a7cb-c8e834d27df4

• Advertisement

There are some excellent interviews up on Patriots.com with some of the guys reporting to rookie training camps. Markell Carter - who was on the practise squad all last season - gave a particularly impressive interview. He just seems like the nicest guy with the perfect attitude. They're all on here, some good listening, interviews with McDaniels, Patricia etc. too.

I read the Carter interview yesterday evening (Saturday) and it made for some good reading alright. I see Bill gave him a pay rise to keep him happy on the practice squad. Also probably a good indication that he could be close to making the roster. Last year was tough on all the rookies with the lock out ect. So the 1 year rookie vets, probably really appreciated the mini camp this weekend.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement