Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New England Patriots thread (MOD WARNING - #4503)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

eagle eye wrote: »
    Wow our legendary QB helps us out again by restructuring his contract. They are really going for it this year I think. $7.2 million more in cap space thanks to no.12.

http://itiswhatitis.weei.com/sports/newengland/football/patriots/2012/03/21/patriots-quarterback-tom-brady-restructures-contract/

He's a class act in so many ways, fair play to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Bye Lawfirm :(

I'm actually furious at this move. The first consistently good, productive and dangerous RB since Dillion and he's gone. I know the money was desired but I would have thrown it at him. Since that disaster Lawrence Maroney is gone and the backfield had some ups and downs we get rid of a consistently good player. Just wish we held on to him.
    SK1979 wrote: »
    Will Carter re-sign do you's think? Does that not leave the Pats very short of pass rushers? Is there any chance of them getting any decent ones through the draft?

Carter was playing very well but went on IR with a knee injury so there's fears of him being healthy for next season. Also, he's in his 30s so age could be an obstacle.

Anderson gone too. Big fan but the money he was demanding was crazy. He came out of the wilderness and put up 10 sacks. Who knows if he can reproduce but that Bills D-line will facilitate success as well as the contract size.

Fair play to Tom. That's quite a help.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Ah c'mon. Green-Elis was dangerous? To who? Linebackers with broken legs? He was a very safe pair of hands but he was one of the most unspectacular RBs I've ever seen, he got stuffed in plenty of games and rarely if broke one off.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Wow our legendary QB helps us out again by restructuring his contract. They are really going for it this year I think. $7.2 million more in cap space thanks to no.12.

http://itiswhatitis.weei.com/sports/newengland/football/patriots/2012/03/21/patriots-quarterback-tom-brady-restructures-contract/

It's not like he has given up any money. He is just getting a huge chunk of it now and it will count against the cap over the next three years, instead of all of it counting against this years cap. Hardly makes him Mother Teresa.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,554 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    It's not like he has given up any money. He is just getting a huge chunk of it now and it will count against the cap over the next three years, instead of all of it counting against this years cap. Hardly makes him Mother Teresa.

And who called him Mother Teresa or said he was giving up money. The wow factor is that we have another $7 million in cap space. He didn't have to restructure either but did it to help the team out. Its the second time he has done it too.

• Advertisement

Brady will be pleased that Deion Branch has signed a 1 year deal. If another receiver is drafted, training camp should be fiercely competitive when it starts up.

Syferus wrote: »
    Ah c'mon. Green-Elis was dangerous? To who? Linebackers with broken legs? He was a very safe pair of hands but he was one of the most unspectacular RBs I've ever seen, he got stuffed in plenty of games and rarely if broke one off.

Precisely - he was the safe pair of hands. Not looking for LT, Shaun Alexander or LeSean McCoy or any other "big" running back. He turned up and did his job. He's years better than what we've had in previous years. That said there's still plenty of runners there but Green-Ellis was the safe one, didn't fumble and actually ran with the ball. Unlike Maroney who I still have nightmares in which he tippy-toes behind the line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Another former McDaniels player joins. Spencer Larsen. He's really getting a big say in personnel moves.

Ah man, the lawfirm on twitter and I'm getting sad now.
    Pats Nation: First, I would like to thank Mr. Kraft and his family for giving me an opportunity to live my dream.
    Many thanks to Coach Belichick and all the other coaches who help develop me in my career in New England
    How many ways can I thank my dedicated fans for your heart felt love and support -THANK YOU.Its been a blessing to be a Patriot. #MHK player

Robert kraft gave him a special mention yesterday....
    Ben-jarvis, I really have a deep affection for him. He did a great for job us for 4 years. Especially this past year, when he was really supportive of me personally and we became good friends. I'm always going to have a special attachment to him.

Not irreplaceable, but his fumble free hands will be certainly be missed. He was never going to get the package he was looking for and probably deserved. The Patriots are all about value, they were right to look for less and he was right to look for more. Regardless of whether he is replaced or not, Shane Vereen and Stevan Ridley need more game time to develop and gladly they will now get it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

As fan you'll miss him. We followed his entire career from Undrafted FA nobody to practise squad player to the occasional carry guy to 1,000 yard season guy and we didnt once see him fumble.

Great attitude guy and lived the Patriot way. You get the sense from following him on twitter he truely appreciated the opportunity he was given. I could never fault him for trying to make the most money he can in such a short career but i loved to have seen him spend his entire career as a Pat.

Best of luck Lawfirm, kill it out in Cincy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

He was a very reliable player, but I dont think he'll be missed all that much.
    He was a straightahead runner, with very little threat to breakoff or gain extra yards.

I think the running game will be fine with Ridley and Vereen splitting carries and woodhead filling the 3rd down/receiving back role that faulk used to frequent.

Chad Ochocinco has taken a pay cut to remain with he Patriots, but whether he makes it past training camp is another matter.

Fair play to him, hopefully with a proper preseason behind him he'll show some improvement. I do think there is room for him on our roster if we don't draft a WR, but that's a big if.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

FB Tony Fiammetta has joined the Patriots. He played well last season for the Cowboys and will be a nice pick-up if he stays healthy.

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    FB Tony Fiammetta has joined the Patriots. He played well last season for the Cowboys and will be a nice pick-up if he stays healthy.

He did a good job as lead blocker for Lawrence Vickers last season, but that 3 week disappearing episode did raise eyebrows. Stevan Ridley and Shane Vereen do have college experience running behind Fullbacks, so Fiammetta could help them develop further. Depending on how camp works out of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

He did a good job as lead blocker for Lawrence Vickers last season, but that 3 week disappearing episode did raise eyebrows. Stevan Ridley and Shane Vereen do have college experience running behind Fullbacks, so Fiammetta could help them develop further. Depending on how camp works out of course.

Ah, what? Fiammetta wasn't on the Cowboys at the same time as Vickers, he was only signed by them two weeks ago. And obviouslu a FB wouldn't be blocking for another FB, you must mean DeMarco Murray?

Fiametta was injured for those few weeks last season too so I can't see how that raises any questions, if anything it highlighted how important and effective as a blocker he was, Murray looked very ordinary without him.

Can not understand why the Cowboys didn't wrap up a FB as good as Fiametta and him being only 25 just makes it worse, their running game was exponentially better with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Happy with that pickup, Pats have needed a proper fullback since Evans left.

I doubt that WR will be much of a priority in the draft.
    With Welker, Lloyd, Gonzalez, Stallworth, Ocho & Edelman plus Gronk and Hernadez, receiving corps should be the last thing they prioritise.

Syferus wrote: »
    Ah, what? Fiammetta wasn't on the Cowboys at the same time as Vickers, he was only signed by them two weeks ago. And obviouslu a FB wouldn't be blocking for another FB, you must mean DeMarco Murray?

Fiametta was injured for those few weeks last season too so I can't see how that raises any questions, if anything it highlighted how important and effective as a blocker he was, Murray looked very ordinary without him.

Can not understand why the Cowboys didn't wrap up a FB as good as Fiametta and him being only 25 just makes it worse, their running game was exponentially better with him.

Sorry, I blame my inebriated state during my last post for that mix up. Don't know where Vickers came from when he just signed for them 2 weeks ago.Yes I meant DeMarco Murray, he was averaging 6.7 yards a carry with Fiammetta as lead blocker. It suddenly dropped to 2.9 yards a carry when Fiamentta was out. Which says it all really.

The questions surrounding Fiametta's injury absence, was largely caused by the elusiveness coming from the Dallas camp a the time. They gave conflicting reports about it and initially didn't seem to know what was wrong with him.

I think it later came out that he had a inner infection, which could have caused transient vertigo and balance issues at the time. The symptoms can be easily mistaken for concussion or a head injury and I suspect this is what may have cause confusion in their camp. The main thing is the guy is now 100% and a really good acquisition imo.

BizzyC wrote: »
    Happy with that pickup, Pats have needed a proper fullback since Evans left.

I doubt that WR will be much of a priority in the draft.
    With Welker, Lloyd, Gonzalez, Stallworth, Ocho & Edelman plus Gronk and Hernadez, receiving corps should be the last thing they prioritise.

I would still like to see a talented WR picked up during the Draft. Most of the receivers on our roster, are tipping toward the wrong end of the scale age wise. So I think we need a young guy for future proofing.

• Advertisement

Updated prospect contact list.

I – Combine Interview
    PW – Private Workout
    PD – Pro Day Contact
    OV – Official Visit
    AS – All-Star Game Contact

Defensive Line
    Michael Brockers, LSU (OV, PD)
    Anthony Jacobs, Minnesota (PD)
    Derek Wolfe, Cincinnati (PW, PD)
    Ronnie Cameron, Old Dominion (PD)
    Josue Ortiz, Harvard (PW, PD)

Linebackers
    Ryan Davis, Bethune Cookman (AS, PW)
    Darius Fleming, Notre Dame (I)
    Melvin Ingram, South Carolina (I)
    Luke Kuechly, Boston College (PD, I)
    Ronnell Lewis, Oklahoma (PD, OV)

Courtney Upshaw, Alabama (PD, AS, I)

Whitney Mercilus, Illinois (PD)
    Kyle Wilber, Wake Forest (PD)
    Bruce Irvin, West Virginia (OV)

Defensive Backs
    Tony Dye, UCLA (OV)
    Ron Brooks, LSU (PD, PW, OV)
    Omar Bolden, Arizona State (OV)
    Brandon Taylor, LSU (PW, PD)
    Harrison Smith, Notre Dame (I)
    Ryan Steed, Furman (AS)
    Casey Hayward, Vanderbilt (AS)
    Jeremy Jones, Wayne State (PW)
    Jeron McMillan, Maine (PD)
    Matt Daniels, Yale (PD)
    Micah Pellerin, Hampton (PW – with DB coach, PD)

Quarterbacks
    Ryan Lindley (PD)

Running Backs
    Doug Martin (PW, PD)
    Fozzy Whitaker, Texas (PW)
    Isaiah Pead, Cincinnati (PW, PD)

Tight Ends
    Adrien Robinson, Cincinnati (PW, PD)
    Emil Igwenagu, UMass (AS, PD)

Eric Lair, Minnesota (PD)
    Les Brown, BYU Basketball (PD)

Wide Receivers
    Joe Adams, Arkansas (AS, I, PD)
    A.J. Jenkins, Illinois (AS, PD)

Darius Reynolds, Iowa State (PW, PD)

Rich Rossi, Sacred Heart (PD)

Offensive Line
    Chris Anzevino, Kent State (PW)
    Johnnie Troutman, Penn State (AS)

Very handy list EE, thanks.

Is that only what's already happened, or does it include what is scheduled to happen aswell? Because I know Casey Heyward is scheduled to official visit (OV) us but I don't know if it's happened yet or not.

Thats just an up to now list. If and when Heyward visits it will be added. I'll put something up again close to the draft. Its doesn't always mean a great deal either. I'll show you a couple of lists from past years later on and you'll see what I mean. Often times I think these visits of potential first rounders and done so that BB can get his valuable draft pick trading done.

Patriots announce preseason match ups..

Preseason week 1: Saints @ Gillette - Specific date and time TBA

Preseason week 2: Eagles @ Gillette - 20th August.

Preseason week 3: Buccaneers @ Tampa Bay - Specific date and time TBA

Preseason week 4: Giants @ MetLife Stadium - Specific date and time TBA

Happy 60th birthday Bill!

53234231_display_image.jpg?1287102154

Probably doing a lot of this:

tumblr_lowjjawU7Y1qz92ws.jpg

Just looking at the list now and there seems to be a lot of action with linebackers and defensive backs.
    The interest in Courtney Upshaw looks strong but there is also a lot of interest shown in Melvin Ingram who is projected as a top 10 pick and Michael Brockers who is projected to go in the early teens. Luke Kuechly is also expected to go in the early teens and while he has only been for an interview and there was pro day attendance you can be sure they have their work done on him being that he was a BC Eagle. There are signals there that the Patriots might look to move up.
    Ryan Davis is considered a late round/udfa OLB/DE and he has had a lot of interest from the Patriots too.
    There has also been a lot of Patriots interest in Ron Brooks who has been rising on draft boards despite being a backup at LSU. His 4.35 40 at the combine probably highlighted him and people are getting real interested.
    Doug Martin is also garnering a lot of interest from the Patriots, I've said many times that I think this is one of the richest RB classes for quite some time. I really like Martin and this looks like a pick that the Patriots would make imo if we don't trade up. As mentioned before Joe Adams seems to be on the radar bigtime as well.

As you can see BB worked out three Nebraska players. Alfonzo Dennard CB who has been slipping down draft boards since late last season. He is currently projected as a second round pick but might drop even further. Was projected after the 2010 season as a top 15 pick.
    Lavante David. a projected mid-second rounder and OT Marcel Jones who is projected to be a late pick in the draft. Two of those if not all three could be smokescreens for who BB is really interested in, its kinda odd that he worked out those three but did nothing with Jared Crick who was really impressive at the Nebraska pro day.

V
    - Official Pre-Draft visit; visited team facilities/hosted by team in area
    PW - Private workout held with prospect
    AW - Attended open workout on Campus
    C - Position Coach or Coordinator contact
    MC - Team has spoken to player or agent or had on-Campus visit; miscellaneous contact
    APD - Team official has attended Pro-Day
    I - Interviewed at Combine/All-Star game
    RI - Rumoured interest

Defensive Line

Michael Brockers, LSU (OV, PD, MC, V)
    Anthony Jacobs, Minnesota (PD)
    Derek Wolfe, Cincinnati (PW, PD)
    Ronnie Cameron, Old Dominion (PD)
    Josue Ortiz, Harvard (PW, PD)
    Armond Armstead, USC (PD, OV)

Chandler Jones, Syracuse (I)
    Nick Perry, USC (OV, PD)
    Jared Crick, Nebraska (PD)

Linebackers
    Ryan Davis, Bethune Cookman (AS, PW, I)
    Darius Fleming, Notre Dame (I)
    Melvin Ingram, South Carolina (I, OV, PD, V)
    Luke Kuechly, Boston College (PD, I)

Ronnell Lewis, Oklahoma (PD, OV)

Courtney Upshaw, Alabama (PD, AS, I)
    Whitney Mercilus, Illinois (PD)
    Kyle Wilber, Wake Forest (PD)
    Bruce Irvin, West Virginia (OV)
    Lavonte David, Nebraska (PW)(BB)
    Zach Brown, North Carolina (PD, PW)
    Noah Keller, Ohio (OV)

Defensive Backs
    Alfonzo Dennard, Nebraska (PW)(BB)
    Tony Dye, UCLA (OV)
    Ron Brooks, LSU (PD, PW, OV)
    Omar Bolden, Arizona State (OV)
    Brandon Taylor, LSU (PW, PD)
    Harrison Smith, Notre Dame (I)
    Ryan Steed, Furman (AS)
    Casey Hayward, Vanderbilt (AS)
    Jeremy Jones, Wayne State (PW)
    Jeron McMillan, Maine (PD)
    Matt Daniels, Yale (PD)
    Trevor Coston, Maine (PD)
    Micah Pellerin, Hampton (PW)
    Jordan Bernstine, Iowa (PD, PW)

Josh Norman, Coastal Carolina (OV)
    Trumaine Johnson, Montana (OV)

Quarterbacks
    Ryan Lindley, San Diego State (PD)
    Patrick Witt, Yale (PD, PW)

Running Backs
    Doug Martin, Boise State (OV, PW, PD)
    Fozzy Whitaker, Texas (PW)
    Isaiah Pead, Cincinnati (PW, PD)
    Travaris Cadet, Appalachian State (AS)
    Chris Rainey, Florida (PW, PD)
    Michael Smith, Utah - MC
    Chris Rainey, Florida - (APD, PW)

Tight Ends
    Adrien Robinson, Cincinnati (PW, PD)
    Emil Igwenagu, UMass (AS, PD)

Eric Lair, Minnesota (PD)
    Les Brown, BYU Basketball (PD)

Wide Receivers
    Joe Adams, Arkansas (AS, I, PD)
    A.J. Jenkins, Illinois (AS, PD)

Darius Reynolds, Iowa State (PW, PD)

Rich Rossi, Sacred Heart (PD)
    Josh Bellamy, Louisville (PW)
    Deonte Thompson, Florida (PD)

Offensive Line
    Chris Anzevino, Kent State (PW)
    Johnnie Troutman, Penn State (AS)
    Marcel Jones, Nebraska (PW)(BB)

Bill has said he won't be coaching when he's 70, but hopefully he will still be around when 65. Or will he walk off into the sunset, when Brady hangs up his cleats?

Also good to see that the Pats have just resigned Dan Koppen.

Bill has said he won't be coaching when he's 70, but hopefully he will still be around when 65. Or will he walk off into the sunset, when Brady hangs up his cleats?

Also good to see that the Pats have just resigned Dan Koppen.
    I don't think he will walk with Brady and theres something telling me that he thinks he already has Brady's replacement in Ryan Mallett.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭SK1979

From looking around at various people's opinions, I think the Pats might take something like Perry and Stephen Hill in the first and then there seems to be a lot of love for Bruce Irwin in the 2nd.

They would probably all be assuming no trades up or down.

• Advertisement

Fantastic stuff EE, cheers for that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement