Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New England Patriots thread (MOD WARNING - #4503)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Happy as a pig in shít :D

anchormangif.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭TimThomas

Gonzalez Lloyd and Amendola fooking niiiiiiiiiiice.

Now we can draft our real needs fix our Defense and bobs your uncle.

TimThomas wrote: »

belichick-lets-party.jpg

3 year deal, $12 million.

That right there is the bargain of the offseason. When you look at the ridiculous contracts that Garcon, Meachem, Robinson etc. got, and factor in that we even got him cheaper than Eddie Royal. Just brilliant work, and from what I believe, Lloyd was a pleasure to deal with throughout the whole negotiations. What a deal, I'm stoked. So so so excited to see our offence next year, and I still have a feeling we'll take a WR in the draft mid-rounds to develop. A Juron Criner/Marvin Jones type prospect. But damn, Lloyd at that price is the steal of the year. What a highlight package.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Laron Landry is visiting this weekend too and the same article says we're confident of landing him aswell. Would be a nice addition, a bit injury prone but hopefully he can put it behind him. Looks like he's spent a lot of time in the weights room this offseason!

landrygiant0212.jpg

Jesus Christ, how does he even move? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

How's the Patriots cap space doing? Seems a bit of a luxury to take Amendola particularly. They must have alot of faith in Ridley and the rest of the back-up RBs or else they'd be spending that money finding a committee member there. And that's not even touching that defence. We'll see by draft day, I guess.

I heard an interview with Lloyd on Football Today a few days ago, he comes across as a very intelligent and mature guy. I guess he's really bought into McDaniels and the idea he can win a ring in New England. Certainly fantastic value.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

eagle eye wrote: »
    Steven Gregory the latest signing. Didn't stand out to me when he was a Charger but hopefully he works out great for us.

Not a stand out player, but very solid and dependable and exactly what's needed. Anthony Gonzalez was a surprise, two injury blighted seasons but this guy was once a starter at the Colts with Reggie Wayne in 2009. Then the knee crap started. The talent is there but can he leave the injuries behind him?

Brandon Lloyd undoubtedly has the skill set that the Patriots have missed, but 6 teams in 10 years is worrying. The one really positive sign though, is he really wanted to come to the Patriots. He knows the Josh McDaniels offence and should fit it nicely. The deep threat is now pretty much sorted and this could be really big.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭DBIreland

Have the Patriots signed Amendola, I can't find any confirmation online.

DBIreland wrote: »
    Have the Patriots signed Amendola, I can't find any confirmation online.

Likewise, I haven't seen anything to suggest he has been signed. I think this was a rumour originating from Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭cassel16

Likewise, I haven't seen anything to suggest he has been signed. I think this was a rumour originating from Twitter.

No, but he was visiting them last week according to a few sources online.

• Advertisement

Seems like it was all bullsh1t surprised about this really because even the die hards in Schefter and others reported it during the week that it looked good. Meh anyways would have been nice to have him but Lloyd and Gonzalez mixed with the usual suspects is still a awesome offense in the making.

cassel16 wrote: »
    No, but he was visiting them last week according to a few sources online.

Radio host Scott Zolak of 98.5 The Sports Hub show, tweeted last Thursday morning that Amendola was spotted at a Boston bar called The Place. But Amendola has family in Boston and his father also lives in the Massachusetts area. His Aunt also died recently, but the rumour mill never reports stuff like that. The only interest the Patriots would have in him, is as a new slot receiver. He is 5 years younger than Welker but he's not in the same class imo.

Daniel Fells has signed. Really like our offseason so far, have plugged a lot of gaps in the roster and setting ourselves up nicely for the draft.

The TE position just got stronger - Patriots have just signed Broncos starting TE Daniel Fells about an hour ago. He's a good all rounder at TE, who has a much stronger blocking game than Hernandez. Since Hernandez is an amazing catcher though, I wonder will they experiment by allowing him to concentrate on receiving duties only?

Now it looks certain Manning is going to Denver all the mad rumours are flying in about us trading for Tebow

Now it looks certain Manning is going to Denver all the mad rumours are flying in about us trading for Tebow

There's something absolutely hilarious about the fact that by the time this is all said and done, Peyton Manning won't even be the most talked about Broncos QB this offseason :)

Mad rumours alright, perhaps the Pats are going to teach him how to pass because it needs working on? But there would be no better mentor than Brady I suppose. But since it is the silly season, at the moment I'm more interested in seeing how Ryan Mallett progresses during preseason than the likes of Tebow.

Donte Stallworth is back

Robert Gallery signs too.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,716 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The offensive line looks pretty awesome now. In other news while FA has taken over the headlines the Patriots have also been very busy doing their draft work. Here is a list of all thats went on so far. Mulitple contacts in red. The one that stands out to me is Courtney Upshaw whose draft stock has been falling because of tendinitis in the knee but you still wouldn't expect him to be around when the Patriots make their first pick at 27 so its interesting that they've interviewed him and didn't bring him for a private workout(yet). Joe Adams WR is projected to be a late round pick in the draft, he won the SEC STs player of the year. I remember one sick punt return from him where he was tackled by half the other team but still managed to stay up and score. He played with Ryan Mallet so they would know what he is like in the locker room. He projects to be a slot receiver in the NFL and has burner speed even though he didn't run a great 40 in the Combine or at his pro day. He did have a great Senior Bowl. They've also had one of my binkies(Brandon Taylor) for a private workout.

I – Combine Interview
    PW – Private Workout
    PD – Pro Day Contact
    OV – Official Visit
    AS – All-Star Game Contact

Defensive Line
    Michael Brockers, LSU (OV)
    Anthony Jacobs, Minnesota (PD)
    Derek Wolfe, Cincinnati (PW, PD)

Linebackers
    Ryan Davis, Bethune Cookman (AS)
    Darius Fleming, Notre Dame (I)
    Melvin Ingram, South Carolina (I)
    Ronnell Lewis, Oklahoma (PD, OV)
    Courtney Upshaw, Alabama (PD, AS, I)

Whitney Mercilus, Illinois (PD)

Defensive Backs
    Ron Brooks, LSU (PW)
    Omar Bolden, Arizona State (OV)
    Brandon Taylor, LSU (PW)
    Harrison Smith, Notre Dame (I)
    Ryan Steed, Furman (AS)
    Casey Hayward, Vanderbilt (AS)
    Jeremy Jones, Wayne State (PW)

Quarterbacks

Running Backs

Isaiah Pead, Cincinnati (PW, PD)

Tight Ends

Adrien Robinson, Cincinnati (PW, PD)
    Emil Igwenagu, UMass (AS, PD)

Eric Lair, Minnesota (PD)

Wide Receivers
    Joe Adams, Arkansas (AS, I, PD)
    A.J. Jenkins, Illinois (AS, PD)

Offensive Line
    Chris Anzevino, Kent State (PW)
    Johnnie Troutman, Penn State (AS)

Pro-Days Attended:
    Air Force
    Alabama
    Ball State
    BSN Showcase (FCS, D2, D3, NAIA)
    Cincinnati
    Colorado
    Georgia
    Houston
    Illinois
    Iowa
    Kansas State
    Miami (OH)
    Minnesota
    Missouri
    Northern Illinois
    Oklahoma
    Penn State
    Rhode Island
    Tulsa
    UMass

• Advertisement

Donte Stallworth is back

The guy doesn't fumble and I'll be happy enough if he can repeat his 2007 season stats with the Patriots. Good to see another solid, deep threat weapon added.

Bye Lawfirm :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Bye Lawfirm :(

?

I dont see any news about him signing anywhere

Hazys wrote: »
    ?

I dont see any news about him signing anywhere

He's discussing a contract with the Bengals from what I've read (I actually thought it was official, my bad).

He's discussing a contract with the Bengals from what I've read (I actually thought it was official, my bad).

Id be disappointed to see him go but there is enough options out there at the RB position. He must be considered the best RB in FA as he seems to be the only one who is visiting teams...worst comes to worst we could throw our hat in the ring for Michael Bush.

In other news, Mark Anderson signed with the Bills for $8m a year, noway he was going to get that from the Pats...thats 8x more than we paid him last year and 8x more than we paid for Trevor Scott this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭SK1979

Will Carter re-sign do you's think? Does that not leave the Pats very short of pass rushers? Is there any chance of them getting any decent ones through the draft?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

SK1979 wrote: »
    Will Carter re-sign do you's think? Does that not leave the Pats very short of pass rushers? Is there any chance of them getting any decent ones through the draft?

Bill's not normally a big fan of doing it that way. I'd say we'll primarily go after O-Line and Secondary prospects.

SK1979 wrote: »
    Well if you look back a few posts you will see the list of contacts made so far and its clear that Courtney Upshaw is on the radar. He would really fit the Patriots and Belichick who likes Tweeners who can play both DE and OLB.

Wow our legendary QB helps us out again by restructuring his contract. They are really going for it this year I think. $7.2 million more in cap space thanks to no.12.
    Patriots quarterback Tom Brady has restructured his contract.
    Brady, who signed a four-year, $72 million extension in September 2010, was initially scheduled to make $5.75 million in base salary with a $6 million roster bonus and $250,000 workout bonus this season. Under the new agreement (first reported by Brian McIntyre of Mac’s Football Blog), Brady’s base salary was reduced to a fully guaranteed $950,000, with the remaining difference ($4.8 million) combined with the roster bonus and converted into a $10.8 million signing bonus that will be prorated over the three remaining years on Brady’s contract.
    By restructuring Brady’s deal, the Patriots freed up $7.2 million in cap space.
    This is not the first time Brady has restructured his deal. In the spring of 2007, he reworked his deal to allow for more cap flexibility when it came to adding wide receiver Randy Moss. On that occasion, Brady initially had a base salary of $6 million, but the quarterback and the Patriots did some shuffling, and redid the deal so Brady received a signing bonus of $5.28 million and had his base salary reduced to $720,000.
    http://itiswhatitis.weei.com/sports/newengland/football/patriots/2012/03/21/patriots-quarterback-tom-brady-restructures-contract/

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    Wow our legendary QB helps us out again by restructuring his contract. They are really going for it this year I think. $7.2 million more in cap space thanks to no.12.

http://itiswhatitis.weei.com/sports/newengland/football/patriots/2012/03/21/patriots-quarterback-tom-brady-restructures-contract/

Great news, i'll doubt we'll spend it tho.

My Roster Breakdown:

QB
    Sorted for Starters and backups...not much better in the NFL

RB
    Some good young RBs but i still think we need to get a veteran presence maybe only on a 1 year prove it deal to bridge the gap for the younger RBs to develop...still a lot of good options available

WR
    Sorted a big weakness from last season, a lot of good verteran players with good pedigree fighting for spots in TC

TE
    2 of the best receiving TEs in the league and now BB has his blocker TE which we had 2 stolen off us after TC last year...its was badly needed, especially in the SuperBowl

OL
    If Waters and Light dont retire, i think we have the strongest Oline depth in the league. It would be nice if Koppen came back on the cheap as i dont think we have a 2nd C at the moment.

DL
    Proabably need to add another player or two, possible through the draft which has good depth at the DL position. Andre Carter it would be amazing if he came back and played close to last year's level.

LBs
    Inside LBs sorted. Outside LB still need at least one player, possibly through the draft.

CBs
    Good depth now, hopefully competition will push them to a higher level. Good to have signed some veteran leadership that was badly needed.

S
    When's james ihedigbo going to resign, we need him...words i thought i'd never type in my lifetime! Need to add Ihedigbo, i dunno if we draft one tho.

K/P
    Sorted

Overall I'm delighted with this offseason so far, some great value pickups in FA.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement