Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do ye give signals to men?

Options
  • 13-01-2011 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just wondering if women give men signals that they might be interested in them? I mean before ever speaking to him? Just when you see a guy?

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

Yes, I find that semaphore works very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

Deedsie wrote: »
    Hi,

Just wondering if women give men signals that they might be interested in them? I mean before ever speaking to him? Just when you see a guy?

We're not these mysterious creatures who have a set way of behaving when we see a guy we like. Stop worrying about if she likes you. Do you like her? If so, ask her out. You'll find out soon enough what she thinks then, and even if she says no, she'll respect you for having the balls to ask.

For any women who do give signals - don't. Men aren't mindreaders and a lot of times these signals become misinterpreted, which leads to a lot of needless arguments or anger. If you like a guy, tell him.

Please.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I never give any kind of signals that I know of! I'm way too shy :P

Maybe a little when I'm drunk though :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

I'd say nearly all women give signals, either consciously or unconsciously

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Ya say so. Subconsciously sometimes and other times I'd say on purpose like come hither looks, a wink, a smile, flashing the eyelashes trying to get a guy to notice us. Then again being natural and being oneself and presenting oneself as friendly without saying anything based on first impressions is another way of giving off subtle signals without putting pressure on them. There would obviously be non-verbal language/singals we give off to men without either party being aware of it! One might notice it more than the other either consciously or subconsciously.

For me I try to give off a friendly vibe. Smile, be friendly and be coy. My dance moves can give off some kind of signal to guys when I'm out usually if I am happy go lucky they will approach me if they pick up on my signals. To be honest these things are often not visible to the naked eye, a split second and you might miss it!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

--Kaiser-- wrote: »

I agree - psychologically we more than likely will behave differently around someone we like 'in that way' - we may think they're funnier so laugh more, possibly play with our hair (nervy!) or other signs.

Alternatively, it can happen that you don't want this person to know you like them, and you know you're in danger of doing the subconscious signs of attraction, so you're meaner to them to overcompensate.

It's complicated, I tells ya.

Silverfish wrote: »
    I agree - psychologically we more than likely will behave differently around someone we like 'in that way' - we may think they're funnier so laugh more, possibly play with our hair (nervy!) or other signs.

Alternatively, it can happen that you don't want this person to know you like them, and you know you're in danger of doing the subconscious signs of attraction, so you're meaner to them to overcompensate.

It's complicated, I tells ya.

Feckin' women, eh?

Feckin' women, eh?

Should have pointed out, a lot of men do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

For any women who do give signals - don't. Men aren't mindreaders and a lot of times these signals become misinterpreted, which leads to a lot of needless arguments or anger. If you like a guy, tell him.

Please.

I have the same opinion, but its mainly because I am theeeeeck when it comes to picking up on a signal! Honestly, a girl might aswell be wearing a massive sign saying "I'm interested" and I'd more than likely still manage to miss it!:o

• Advertisement

Should have pointed out, a lot of men do the same.

Feckin' men, eh?

Feckin' men, eh?

Ah no, they're a great bunch of lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Well the reason I ask is, once I get talking to a lady, I'm fine. I just still can't go up to talk to someone I instantly find attractive. It's very annoying, fear of rejection, fear of making a show of myself. I know I phrased it strangely in the OP, signals etc. Just frustrated with myself more than the women of Ireland. Thanks for the helpful, encouraging replies. Maybe I'll grow a pair of balls...

Ah no, they're a great bunch of lads.

Feckin' .. er .. you .., eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

Yes, I definitely give off signals to men that I fancy. 9 times out of 10 they are just not noticed!

I usually have a big stupid grin on my features and cause a hurricane with the fluttering eye-lashes but to no avail.

It was easier when we were in the caves. Give the guy a rap on the head with a club and drag him off to make babies :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

--Kaiser-- wrote: »

So that's how you get a date.:D

Perhaps you mean sub consciously.;)

Deedsie wrote: »
    Well the reason I ask is, once I get talking to a lady, I'm fine. I just still can't go up to talk to someone I instantly find attractive. It's very annoying, fear of rejection, fear of making a show of myself. I know I phrased it strangely in the OP, signals etc. Just frustrated with myself more than the women of Ireland. Thanks for the helpful, encouraging replies. Maybe I'll grow a pair of balls...

It's unbelievably hard to do. The first few times :)

The trick to it is the same as anything else, practice.

I remember years and years ago, there was a guy I liked. He was shy so I knew it was up to me, but I was so so nervous about approaching him.
    One day it was D-Day, now or never kind of thing, so I mustered all my courage, walked up to him, said maybe 2 words before throwing up on his shoes.
    So ever since then, I just think if I haven't thrown up on them, it's a huge success.

It's not even about achieving end game or whatever, its about the steps to get there , and getting the confidence together - which comes with practice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Please dont give signals....just tell us you like us outright. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

If being caught staring and blushing is a signal, then yes.

The only signals I consciously give are the ones you need indicators and flashing lights for.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Please dont give signals....just tell us you like us outright. :)

You can't mean that? Pub/nightclub situation, guy see's a girl he finds attractive. Hi, I'm such and such, how are you? I like the look of you, do you wanna hang your washing next to mine?
    It's unbelievably hard to do. The first few times :)

The trick to it is the same as anything else, practice.

I remember years and years ago, there was a guy I liked. He was shy so I knew it was up to me, but I was so so nervous about approaching him.
    One day it was D-Day, now or never kind of thing, so I mustered all my courage, walked up to him, said maybe 2 words before throwing up on his shoes.
    So ever since then, I just think if I haven't thrown up on them, it's a huge success.

It's not even about achieving end game or whatever, its about the steps to get there , and getting the confidence together - which comes with practice :)

Gonna give it a go at the weekend so. Reckon i'm gonna make an ape out of myself. Thanks for the encouraging words.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

maple wrote: »
    Yes, I find that semaphore works very well.

so that's you on the bed??!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

The Muppet wrote: »
    So that's how you get a date.:D

Perhaps you mean sub consciously.;)

You know what I mean. I think the words are somewhat synonymous, Freud used one and Jung used the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Generally I lose the ability to say anything intelligent and just laugh like an idiot at all their jokes, because I'm cool and good with girls like that:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭PK2008

This happens to me all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Lucyx

This thread is so interesting to me at this point in time.

I have an enormous crush on a guy in work and I've given him every sign and given him all the looks but still nothing. He stares back at me big time so hes attracted to me too but still nothing. It drives me mad with frustration cos theres only so much I can do without looking like a moron in fairness :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Lucyx wrote: »

I have an enormous crush on a guy in work and I've given him every sign and given him all the looks but still nothing. He stares back at me big time so hes attracted to me too but still nothing. It drives me mad with frustration cos theres only so much I can do without looking like a moron in fairness :o

So ask him out

otherwise he'll think you've lost your contact lenses

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

So ask him out and see what happens...

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kerryman12

Lucyx wrote: »

If this guy is anything like me when it comes to this he is inept. I would always figure out WTF the chick was on about two hours later! Unless you hit me over the head I wouldn't get it - come to think of it now, this explains why college was such a barren patch.

Anyway save yourself some time and just ask!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

lol at guys not having a clue if someone likes them or not, reminds me of this...

http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/ci4px/male_redditors_what_are_some_hints_females_gave/

actively giving signals and waiting for a response is just weird, I would hope that no girl ever does that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 813 ✭✭✭wiger toods

Theres a gorgeous girl i know who whenever we bump into each other, she always gives me the biggest smile everytime. Also to my delight, ive caught her checking me out a few times, and i dont think its all in my head either as a few of the lads have said the same thing. Still though, God knows i wouldnt have the balls to make the first move. Firstly, im a bastard for reading these 'signals' wrong and secondly the lads would rip the ****e outa me for endless years to come, im talking when we're all old, fat, bald, and taking fifty types of medication to just stay alive. They'd still be 'Hey remember that one who said no, Ha Ha Ha, you gob****e'!!!:D

Advertisement