Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do ye give signals to men?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

sounds like your mates are idiots. Don't let them hold you back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 813 ✭✭✭wiger toods

dr ro wrote: »
    sounds like your mates are idiots. Don't let them hold you back.
    Na! there not as bad as ive painted them. there a good bunch of lads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 annapolska

Theres a gorgeous girl i know who whenever we bump into each other, she always gives me the biggest smile everytime. Also to my delight, ive caught her checking me out a few times, and i dont think its all in my head either as a few of the lads have said the same thing. Still though, God knows i wouldnt have the balls to make the first move. Firstly, im a bastard for reading these 'signals' wrong and secondly the lads would rip the ****e outa me for endless years to come, im talking when we're all old, fat, bald, and taking fifty types of medication to just stay alive. They'd still be 'Hey remember that one who said no, Ha Ha Ha, you gob****e'!!!:D

OR she might say yes. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Theres a gorgeous girl i know who whenever we bump into each other, she always gives me the biggest smile everytime. Also to my delight, ive caught her checking me out a few times, and i dont think its all in my head either as a few of the lads have said the same thing. Still though, God knows i wouldnt have the balls to make the first move. Firstly, im a bastard for reading these 'signals' wrong and secondly the lads would rip the ****e outa me for endless years to come, im talking when we're all old, fat, bald, and taking fifty types of medication to just stay alive. They'd still be 'Hey remember that one who said no, Ha Ha Ha, you gob****e'!!!:D

aww the girl could be dying for you to make a move, even if you don't at least try and find a way to have more contact with her and see if she's more responsive. Sounds like she does like you if others can see it as well as you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Darlughda

Oh god. I am the worst. Its like I am permanently 14 years of age if I meet a man that I am hugely attracted to. I can barely look him in the eye, and then I have to avert my gaze, and I go really really red.

So embarrassing.

• Advertisement

Darlughda wrote: »
    Oh god. I am the worst. Its like I am permanently 14 years of age if I meet a man that I am hugely attracted to. I can barely look him in the eye, and then I have to avert my gaze, and I go really really red.

So embarrassing.

I'd like that kind of thing and think it's really sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

IMHO, anyone who would hold the fact that you find them attractive against you isn't worth associating with. Sure, there might be a bit of awkwardness if you confess undying love and they think that you're a squinty hobbit whose sense of humour leaves a lot to be desired, but at the end of the day if someone tells you they find you attractive it's a compliment.

The issue is that it's up to the person you tell to handle it appropriately, which can be difficult, especially if they want to let you down easily, but at the same time nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Still doesn't mean I'll be admitting anything to my current crush for the moment - I have no indication that he's interested, and I don't see the point in risking anything until I have some inkling that can't just be attributed to my own overthinking things that there might be some potential for reciprocation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I heard the funniest thing in passing a mother and child yesterday in Spitalfields in London. As they walked by she told her daughter "Never let a boy know you like him".

No wonder us boys are dopes when it comes to figuring out if girls give signals or not. They are being trained from a young age to mess with us:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Lucyx

--LOS-- wrote: »
    actively giving signals and waiting for a response is just weird, I would hope that no girl ever does that.

oh jesus I do this everyday. is it that weird??

FYI Current status....still trying to pluck up the courage :o

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

--LOS-- wrote: »
    actively giving signals and waiting for a response is just weird, I would hope that no girl ever does that.

Ah it's more that they're trying to be encouraging! Traditionally it would be men who would make the first move, and though times have changed it is still difficult for some women to initiate things as they don't want to seem too forward/slutty etc. There is also a school of thought (eg The Rules :rolleyes:) that says women should never make the first move, as it lets men retain their dignity... Ffs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭John400

Lucyx wrote: »
    This thread is so interesting to me at this point in time.

I have an enormous crush on a guy in work and I've given him every sign and given him all the looks but still nothing. He stares back at me big time so hes attracted to me too but still nothing. It drives me mad with frustration cos theres only so much I can do without looking like a moron in fairness :o
    I'm convinced there's a girl at work who has a crush on me (genuinely).

I was attending a recent work function and got talking to her at the bar, she kind of moved closer to me while talking (and i mean close), wasn't expecting it.

I think the feeling is mutal as i do like her, i gave her a big hug at the end of the night. I think i've a crush on her!

Either i'm completely mis-interpreting things like a gob****e! or she does have an interest in me?

I'm assuming a girl moving close to me to talk is generally a positive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Aishae

im also the permanent 14 yr old around people i like - and also terminally dreadful at reading or misreading signals. im contemplating living in alaska with the eskimo's and the polar bears....lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

I don't wish to crash this thread but I didn't want to start another one and it is somewhat related to the OP.

When I was younger I was reasonably shy, in particular around women. Since going to college, working etc I've done a lot of growing up and am quite confident in my own skin these days. I'm no ladies man by any stretch of the imagination but I'm much better off than I was.

Anyway, I was out on the town with a few friends last night. Myself and a girl friend of mine got talking to two girls towards the end of the night. Straight away I quite fancied one of them and had a good laugh with her until the bouncer start clearing the place. My mate headed off earlier and it was just myself and the girl when the bouncers came around. Here's where the story links into the OP. She was grabbing my hand during points in our conversation to direct my attention to certain things and, as I said, were having a good laugh. So, as it was the end of the night, I asked her for her number. She didn't really respond apart from saying 'I'm in here all the time' and proceeded to leave. I had to fetch the jackets and didn't see sight nor sound of her after that. When I told my girl friend outside, she couldn't believe it. In her own words 'I thought you were well in there'

Seriously, WTF was that all about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Aishae

dceire - the only thing i can think of is she got carried away with herself having a good time and didnt realise she was sending such signals or maybe she didnt think you were interested so wasnt worried (if its the latter maybe shes not exactly available and thought she was just having 'fun') im not saying i agree with it if thats the case - cos thats a horrible way to lead someone on and not even say 'oh yeah i didnt mean to lead you on/ i wasnt thinking like that' or whatever, she took the easy way of running off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BumbleB

Girls are all different in their responses depending on their confidence levels ,some will come up directly to you and start talking others will just make eye contact etc.

But as a rule ,the more attractive a girl is the less obvious her advances will appear ,really drop dead girls give micro signals , If you are from the city and you have ever been to a mart to buy cattle ,you know what I'm talking about.

But thats not always the case ,for example I was out 4 weeks ago and an extremely good looking tall blonde girl and her friends were behind me and she kept bumping off me so i had to engage her.:)

If you just turn on billie jean ,learn all the dance moves off it ,you'll never ever have to bother about decoding girls signals ever again , thats what I did !.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭seafood dunleavy

i apparently gave my friend a look(girl) to get with my other friend(lad).had no idea i gave her a look and im a lad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭John400

John400 wrote: »
    I'm convinced there's a girl at work who has a crush on me (genuinely).

I was attending a recent work function and got talking to her at the bar, she kind of moved closer to me while talking (and i mean close), wasn't expecting it.

I think the feeling is mutal as i do like her, i gave her a big hug at the end of the night. I think i've a crush on her!

Either i'm completely mis-interpreting things like a gob****e! or she does have an interest in me?

I'm assuming a girl moving close to me to talk is generally a positive?
    Looking for female opinions on my previous post^

I'm pretty useless when it comes to decoding signals from the opposite sex, as i said i'm assuming this girl from work standing close to me at the bar was a definite signal of at least some interest from her in me?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

John400 the forum isn't a place for guys looking for women's opinion, particularly about dating stuff. A general convo on the subject fine, but otherwise the thread will either be closed or moved to PI. Thanks.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

dceire wrote: »
    I don't wish to crash this thread but I didn't want to start another one and it is somewhat related to the OP.

When I was younger I was reasonably shy, in particular around women. Since going to college, working etc I've done a lot of growing up and am quite confident in my own skin these days. I'm no ladies man by any stretch of the imagination but I'm much better off than I was.

Anyway, I was out on the town with a few friends last night. Myself and a girl friend of mine got talking to two girls towards the end of the night. Straight away I quite fancied one of them and had a good laugh with her until the bouncer start clearing the place. My mate headed off earlier and it was just myself and the girl when the bouncers came around. Here's where the story links into the OP. She was grabbing my hand during points in our conversation to direct my attention to certain things and, as I said, were having a good laugh. So, as it was the end of the night, I asked her for her number. She didn't really respond apart from saying 'I'm in here all the time' and proceeded to leave. I had to fetch the jackets and didn't see sight nor sound of her after that. When I told my girl friend outside, she couldn't believe it. In her own words 'I thought you were well in there'

Seriously, WTF was that all about?

DCEIRE
    I think she is interested, mainly because I have done the same thing a number of times...If she was catching ur hand, shes interested..no doubt about it imo....When I have done that whole...I wont give you my numer but Im here regularly I am thinking....I do want to see him again but I dont want to be waiting wondering will he ring/text....and I am hoping that he will show up in that bar/club again soon to see me and take things further !!

solerina wrote: »
    DCEIRE
    I think she is interested, mainly because I have done the same thing a number of times...If she was catching ur hand, shes interested..no doubt about it imo....When I have done that whole...I wont give you my numer but Im here regularly I am thinking....I do want to see him again but I dont want to be waiting wondering will he ring/text....and I am hoping that he will show up in that bar/club again soon to see me and take things further !!

You're all cracked. I've heard some crackpot theories from girl friends of mine but this one is right up there. I'm not suggesting that what you say is untrue but just needlessly complicating things.

Has this methodology ever worked for you? I was on a night out with old college mates and am rarely out in Dublin which obviously isn't factored into the theory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

dceire wrote: »
    You're all cracked. I've heard some crackpot theories from girl friends of mine but this one is right up there. I'm not suggesting that what you say is untrue but just needlessly complicating things.
    It's your loss if you disparage genuine advice.

If you were a very rare visitor to that club, you should have told her so, and asked again for her number. Now, your only option is to haunt the place! :D

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    It's your loss if you disparage genuine advice.

If you were a very rare visitor to that club, you should have told her so, and asked again for her number. Now, your only option is to haunt the place! :D

I'm not disparaging anything. I appreciate the advice but still thing ye are crazy. :rolleyes:

I know I should have said this to her but I think I may have been taken aback a little by her response.

So getting back on topic, isn't this message self defeating if a girl does this to avoid waiting for a text/call. She'll still have to wait for the guy to come back into the place she met him. She'll still have to wait for the guy to come back into the meeting point right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

This is neither PI for lads trying to work out what the ladies in their lives are doing/thinking and nor is AH a la silly quips.

Can everyone make sure they have read the Ladies Lounge charter and post accordingly and on topic please.

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭I am a friend

solerina wrote: »
    DCEIRE

I dont agree. If I were interested and he asked for my number then he would have it...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Sometimes when you have had a few drinks you are interested but fully aware that you are under the influence. This is another one of my reasons for not giving out my number, also I find it easy to talk to people face to face but am not so good on the phone with people I dont know/hardly know and dont want to end up having to stutter and stammer along. I would be worried that I would put the person off.
    Dceire....yes it has, quite often actually but I only do it when the person is likely to be in that club again....If you werent going to be there again you should have told her and she may have given you her number

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭magneticimpulse

I never look at guys on nights out. Im normally just getting drinks and dancing with my friends on dancefloor..

Advertisement